• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

TP

Concept art designs are linked above but it's IGN only so someone would have to change them up.

Imgur album

http://imgur.com/a/KYcaE

nvyySqh.jpg

jett

D-Member
What is this.

If Donte had turned out looking like that I think the haters would've lost the will to actually hate.

The Angel/Demon thing was probably more involved at a point, like styles sort of. Tbh, I hated flicking through styles with Dante in 4, especially with the 360s shitty d-pad

Dereck

I was playing through the whole game asking,
when the hell does Virgil do something evil?

DMC historians, clarify me, in the original DMC trilogy was Virgil evil right off of the jump or was he friends with Dante originally?

remz

DMC historians, clarify me, in the original DMC trilogy was Virgil evil right off of the jump or was he friends with Dante originally?

Well in DMC1
he's evil from the start as Nelo Angelo, but it's implied that's because he's become corrupted by a thirst for power. Mostly the same thing in DMC3. Evil in the game (sorta) but implied to have been a somewhat decent guy in the past.

Dereck

Well in DMC1
he's evil from the start as Nelo Angelo, but it's implied that's because he's become corrupted by a thirst for power. Mostly the same thing in DMC3. Evil in the game (sorta) but implied to have been a somewhat decent guy in the past.
Thanks a lot

What is this.

If Donte had turned out looking like that I think the haters would've lost the will to actually hate.

again, I like this more than what we got.

the whole game would of had to have a MUCHdarker tone to fit this but it could work.

I'm thinking Spawn/The Darkness levels here.

snnXrDg.jpg

I really like this.....I'm guess this is the angel trigger

Nemesis_

Well in DMC1

Well, in DMC3,
he wasn't exactly GOOD before he was corrupted

ezekial45

Banned
The fuck kind of question is that? Not everyone is up on DMC lore.

You make it sound like it was some predestined expected thing. He was only in one other game.

Yeah, this thread has been pretty unwelcome for newcomers. The spoilers flowed like water when the streams happened last week.

ezekial45

Banned
Which is pretty unusual in these forums, as the mods usually put a clampdown on that stuff.

It's scrutiny surrounding the game. They don't seem to care too much about it either, which explains why they let it flow out.

But of course, MGR won't go through this.

EDIT: Also, put in the crowd that loves the idea of an Angel Trigger. That would've been great to have.

The fuck kind of question is that? Not everyone is up on DMC lore.

You make it sound like it was some predestined expected thing. He was only in one other game. It's not like this is Ganondorf in Zelda.

Well he was Nelo Angelo in the first game. Every game he has been in you fight him several times. Am I spoiling stuff when I say that Devil May Cry 3 (a game from 2005) had Vergil has the last boss? I think it is easy to infer that NT wouldn't miss the opportunity to make the poorest mans version of the vergil boss fights from DMC3.

He is the rival character for the series who has similar abilities to the player character. In DMC4 it was Dante himself because you can play as Nero. He literally exists so you can fight him.

Dahbomb

Vergil in DMC3 was more like a "chaotic neutral" type guy. He isn't balls out evil, he isn't going to kill humans or enslave them just for the hell of it and his reasons to acquire power are well... sort of justified. He just won't be stopped by anyone in his path. He is most similar to Vegeta. He does feel superior to humans and feels more drawn to his demon self.

There's a secret ending at the end of DMC3 where he essentially challenges Mundus in Hell. Of course we all know that Mundus is way too strong for either Dante or Vergil, so it's pretty much implied that he got badly beat and Mundus put him under his control transforming him into Nelo Angelo.

In DMC1 Vergil appears as Nelo Angel but is not his old self obviously, he is completely a mind slave. There are some hints of his former self especially in the final fight where he unlocks all his powers. Vergil drops the amulet which allows Dante to unlock Sparda's powers and beat Sparda.

As far as DmC goes, Vergil in this version looks to be pre-DMC3. He is not as of yet looking for more power but I guess that's what he will be doing in Downfall. My guess is that he will become more motivated after at the end of the DLC and it will set up the events similar to the start of DMC3 (Vergil looking for Dante's amulet so that he can gain more power).

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Well he was Nelo Angelo in the first game. Every game he has been in you fight him several times. Am I spoiling stuff when I say that Devil May Cry 3 had Vergil has the last boss? I think it is easy to infer that NT wouldn't miss the opportunity to make the poorest mans version of the vergil boss fights from DMC3.
Once again, you're assuming everyone here is deep in DMC lore, and you would have to be to know about the Nelo Angelo stuff. It's not asking for much. It's just common courtesy on message boards. We have a pretty accepted no spoilers rule on GAF, and when it comes to late game spoilers, it's just expected to take the 5 seconds to put in spoiler tags, especially considering that this is a reboot, and many people who have never played a DMC game will be playing it.

I mean, shit, it hasn't even been a week since the game came out.

pakkit

Banned
People are failing to realize that, as a reboot, some players are coming into DmC green. Spoiler tags are appreciated, please and thank you.

Dahbomb

The problem is that we have known about the final boss since they leaked the Achievements. You can basically spoil yourself of the whole game in order if you read the Achievement list for the game. So ever since that leak people have been running amok with the spoilers.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's scrutiny surrounding the game. They don't seem to care too much about it either, which explains why they let it flow out.

But of course, MGR won't go through this.
This whole game has shown a pretty immature side to the DMC community. At this point, I'm hoping that if NT makes the next one, they just give Dante the damn white hair just to shut half these people up.

Once again, you're assuming everyone here is deep in DMC lore, and you would have to be to know about the Nelo Angelo stuff. It's not asking for much. It's just common courtesy on message boards. We have a pretty accepted no spoilers rule on GAF, and when it comes to late game spoilers, it's just expected to take the 5 seconds to put in spoiler tags, especially considering that this is a reboot, and many people who have never played a DMC game will be playing it.

I mean, shit, it hasn't even been a week since the game came out.

Was it spoilers in the Bayonetta thread when people say you fight Jeanne? What about Devil Hand in God Hand? I don't know, honestly.

Mike M

Nick N
This game is so LOL-worthy in it's mission rankings, giving me a false sense of accomplishment with all these SSS ratings.

Kinda perverse that I seem to have a harder time SSS ranking the first mission than later ones because the first one has fewer enemies that don't take as much punishment and make it difficult to get a good multiplier going.

XenoJim

Banned
This whole game has shown a pretty immature side to the DMC community. At this point, I'm hoping that if NT makes the next one, they just give Dante the damn white hair just to shut half these people up.

What would the point of that be though. Myself, I am part of the old DMC community and am not a huge fan of the new one but it was my understanding that NT was pretty committed to going with their vision for better or worse. If they buckle and just give him white hair than their entire fight up until this point will have been meaningless. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the older style and sensibilities but it's hard to imagine that Tameem and company would do a 180 after taking so much heat up until now.

Whether it is or isn't, the idea of angel trigger would be cool. I wonder what the team would do with it.

Its pretty simple really.

They should of done away with the concept of angel and demon weapons and rather make the modifiers on Dante himself.

Give each weapon three versions based on what mode Dante is. Each mode has the same moves, but they have different properties and visual effects (Angel faster, more airtime, less damage, Demon slower, less airtime, more damage)

It would make color coded enemies less annoying too. To make it even better, make them more vulnerable to the same colored mode, but not invincible to the opposite mode. Likewise, if you are in the wrong mode and get hit, you take more damage.

You could even still keep DT, but rather it being it a Devil trigger , it becomes a nephilim trigger, where he combines the powers of both angel and demon for a few brief seconds. During this mode he would have the increased damage/ health regen/ increased speed of the old DMC's. It could even start up like DTE, killing weak enemies outright and throwing stronger enemies in the air but with normal gravity. It could be essentially a clutch super and even could even have a cinematic animation every time its used.

Using this trigger could even have a side effect of weakening him for a short period afterwards so it would be a high risk/high reward move.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Was it spoilers in the Bayonetta thread when people say you fight Jeanne? What about Devil Hand in God Hand? I don't know, honestly.
Yes.

The reason why this is a spoiler is because in practically all the media shown for this game, Vergil is shown as a clear ally of Dante, and
that's how he is for most of the game. In DMC3, he was clearly the rival and an enemy.

Friend, I've got some news for you.
I know. I know.

Dahbomb

I would answer this question or even make a small hint/jab at it but then you would probably get even more pissed about spoilers.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I would answer this question or even make a small hint/jab at it but then you would probably get even more pissed about spoilers.
I know about it already. Sheesh. I was trying to make a point.

EDIT: And I would be fully justified in being pissed about that spoiler, btw.

BadAss2961

Think of it like this... What if Kane retired, and they kept his gimmick going with some poser with half the look, talent, and charisma?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Think of it like this... What if Kane retired, and they kept his gimmick going with some poser with half the look, talent, and charisma?
Hey, I've been pushing for a Son of Kane storyline to keep the gimmick going.

EDIT: But that would be son of Kane, not Kane, himself. But I like this Dante, so whatever.

BadAss2961

Hey, I've been pushing for a Son of Kane storyline to keep the gimmick going.

EDIT: But that would be son of Kane, not Kane, himself. But I like this Dante, so whatever.
But a lot of people think Kane sucks, especially now. Just like it seems you weren't too big on Dante.

So yeah, answer the question please. How would you feel if they replaced the character exactly how I put it? lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Broke top 100 on SoS mission 2...felt pretty good. Two rebellion slashes into the third delayed hit of arbiter is straight up dumb though, I feel like it's a crutch but it's hard to not abuse something so effective.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
But a lot of people think Kane sucks, especially now. Just like it seems you weren't too big on Dante.

So yeah, answer the question please. How would you feel if they replaced the character exactly how I put it? lol
I was big on Dante. I liked that Dante. I like this Dante.

I probably wouldn't like it, but I certainly wouldn't walk into the wrestling thread spoiling SD! or something out of some bitter disregard for the people trying to enjoy the current product.

And Kane doesn't suck, the man had a fantastic 2012.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
BTW, it doesn't matter whether you think it's worth spoiler tagging or not. If it's a late game spoiler and a big "swerve" on that game's storyline, and that game hasn't even been out a week, then use spoiler tags. It's just common practice on GAF.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Vergil in DMC3 was more like a "chaotic neutral" type guy. He isn't balls out evil, he isn't going to kill humans or enslave them just for the hell of it and his reasons to acquire power are well... sort of justified. He just won't be stopped by anyone in his path. He is most similar to Vegeta. He does feel superior to humans and feels more drawn to his demon self.

There's a secret ending at the end of DMC3 where he essentially challenges Mundus in Hell. Of course we all know that Mundus is way too strong for either Dante or Vergil, so it's pretty much implied that he got badly beat and Mundus put him under his control transforming him into Nelo Angelo.

In DMC1 Vergil appears as Nelo Angel but is not his old self obviously, he is completely a mind slave. There are some hints of his former self especially in the final fight where he unlocks all his powers. Vergil drops the amulet which allows Dante to unlock Sparda's powers and beat Sparda.

As far as DmC goes, Vergil in this version looks to be pre-DMC3. He is not as of yet looking for more power but I guess that's what he will be doing in Downfall. My guess is that he will become more motivated after at the end of the DLC and it will set up the events similar to the start of DMC3 (Vergil looking for Dante's amulet so that he can gain more power).

Is DmC actually meant to be part of the same continuity? I thought it was intended at first then NT took it back, but I haven't closely followed it much.

Its pretty simple really.

They should of done away with the concept of angel and demon weapons and rather make the modifiers on Dante himself.

Give each weapon three versions based on what mode Dante is. Each mode has the same moves, but they have different properties and visual effects (Angel faster, more airtime, less damage, Demon slower, less airtime, more damage)

It would make colour coded enemies less annoying too.

You could even still keep DT, but rather it being it a Devil trigger , it be a nephelim trigger, where he combines the powers of both angel and demon for a few brief seconds. During this mode he would have the increased damage/ health regen/ increased speed. It could even start up like DTE, killing weak enemies outright and throwing stronger enemies in the air but with normal gravity.

Using this trigger could even have a side effect of weakening him for a short period afterwards so it would be a high risk/high reward move.

I dunno man. Honestly, I want some fast demon weapons or slow angel weapons if the colored enemies are still going to exist in a future sequel. Or they could remove them and you could use whatever weapons you wanted. Whatever works.

As for DT, I like the described the idea presented: A devil/angel/nephilim trigger, all of which would have different applications and possibly use the DT meter. For instance, the nephilim trigger you described could either be a burst and use a large chunk of the meter, or just burn through it extremely fast as it suspends/damages enemies in the air.

Is DmC actually meant to be part of the same continuity? I thought it was intended at first then NT took it back, but I haven't closely followed it much.

When they first revealed it they said it was a prequel, now it's either a spin-off or reboot depending on how it sells.

I dunno man. Honestly, I want some fast demon weapons or slow angel weapons if the colored enemies are still going to exist in a future sequel. Or they could remove them and you could use whatever weapons you wanted. Whatever works.

As for DT, I like the described the idea presented: A devil/angel/nephilim trigger, all of which would have different applications and possibly use the DT meter. For instance, the nephilim trigger you described could either be a burst and use a large chunk of the meter, or just burn through it extremely fast as it suspends/damages enemies in the air.

The reason I would be in favour of keeping them, using the method I described is that you then have a opportunity to style on enemies because by using the opposite mode, you effectively give them tank -like health without raising the difficulty to the point it makes trying out new combos a bad idea.

and the added beauty of the system is that if you move the modifiers onto Dante himself, you can change properties mid-combo, so even if you didn't start your combo, at a demon speed, you can finish with it.

It adds another layer of depth because if every move has three modes, you essentially have 3 type of cancels on every attack..meanwhile maintaining the accessible foundation NT has already laid.

VirtuaMuser

Neo Member
completed this game the other day. The game is such a labor of love, I wish the fans who are slamming it so harshly would give it a proper chance, I don't see any reason why a diehard DMC fan wouldn't enjoy Ninja Theory's effort. Just the battle system alone is a work of art, seamlessly melding together so many different weapons and techniques just feels so sublime. The visual style is a sight to behold and the narration style and character development adds much needed substance. Sure you could argue that on a technical mechanical standpoint it falls short of something like DMC 3 or Bayonetta, but as an overall package you can't do much better than DmC (period).

The reason I would be in favour of keeping them, using the method I described is that you then have a opportunity to style on enemies because by using the opposite mode, you effectively give them tank -like health without raising the difficulty to the point it makes trying out new combos a bad idea.

and the added beauty of the system is that if you move the modifiers on Dante himself, you can change properties mid-combo, so even if you didn't start your combo, at a demon speed, you can finish with it.

Yeah, I see that. That way you'd technically be able to use every weapon on every enemy no matter what their affinity. I just just wish they weren't COMPLETELY invulnerable to other types though.

And I love to style. :3

completed this game the other day. The game is such a labor of love, I wish the fans who are slamming it so harshly would give it a proper chance, I don't see any reason why a diehard DMC fan wouldn't enjoy Ninja Theory's effort. Just the battle system alone is a work of art, seamlessly melding together so many different weapons and techniques just feels so sublime.

Umm....

and I think you will find the majority of the people in this thread agree that this a good game. That said, acknowledging and giving credit to what Ninja theory has created doesn't mean we cant look on what the series has lost and how NT could improve in a sequel.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
completed this game the other day. The game is such a labor of love, I wish the fans who are slamming it so harshly would give it a proper chance, I don't see any reason why a diehard DMC fan wouldn't enjoy Ninja Theory's effort. Just the battle system alone is a work of art, seamlessly melding together so many different weapons and techniques just feels so sublime. The visual style is a sight to behold and the narration style and character development adds much needed substance. Sure you could argue that on a technical mechanical standpoint it falls short of something like DMC 3 or Bayonetta, but as an overall package you can't do much better than DmC (period).

No offense, but you really sound like that you are paid to advertise this game, hahaha.

I want to get this game though so positive reactions are all good :)

VirtuaMuser

Neo Member
No offense, but you really sound like that you are paid to advertise this game, hahaha.

I want to get this game though so positive reactions are all good :)

Well...I DID review games for this old Australian game site once upon a time.... old habits die hard I suppose :p

Honestly though, I've been told that my thoughts on the battle system have been most positive. I just really liked how seamlessly different weapons could be integrated into a combo, not to mention the implementation of the grappling hook mechanic. I've played every DMC to death, but I can't help but really appreciate this reboot.

EDIT

Watching that DMC 4 clip, yea you could do that in that game too for sure, but DmC maps it all so comfortably on the controller. Unless my memory of DMC 4 is hazy...might need to revisit it again.

ezekial45

Banned
DmC doesn't come close to DMC3 or DMC4 in terms of combo variety, and it feels too slow.

Maybe, but I had genuinely had more fun with DmC than DMC4. It's also the superior game, in terms of content and overall design.

Point is, It's OK to like this game.

Top Bottom