• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Even I recognize that the combat isn't quite as good as 3or 4, but that being said it's still miles above anything else that does not have "Devil May Cry" or "Bayonetta" in title, so I'm quite happy with that, especially since this somehow came from NT of all developers.

VirtuaMuser

Neo Member
you mean the soundtrack? I think for the most part it is modern metal that characterized past DMC games, a lot more vocal tracks this time around. Yea there are a couple of dubstep tracks thrown in but not outshining the rock and metal too much.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
you mean the soundtrack? I think for the most part it is modern metal that characterized past DMC games, a lot more vocal tracks this time around. Yea there are a couple of dubstep tracks thrown in but not outshining the rock and metal too much.

At the very least I find it less offensive than most of DMC3 and 4's battle music. I actually like the Night Club theme and the track that plays during the last boss fight, the latter of which is apparently unavailable on the OST.

I was a hater, but my GOD! this game is just so good.

Same. I was playing Devil May Cry 4 earlier today, and decided to watch a YouTube video of the first level of DmC. Totally sold me on the game. Ran to Target and picked up a copy. This game is awesome. All the Negative Nancys almost prevented me from getting this.

Same. I was playing Devil May Cry 4 earlier today, and decided to watch a YouTube video of the first level of DmC. Totally sold me on the game. Ran to Target and picked up a copy. This game is awesome. All the Negative Nancys almost prevented me from getting this.

You mean these loonies almost convinced you?

iho7dxwynu2dz62lxf.jpg

The sad part is, I can't even tell if this pic is legit or not. It wouldn't surprise me if it was real.

Alright Godamnit, I'm fucking stuck on Mission 4 when the walls start closing in. You have to make 2 jumps. The second jump is the one I can't get. I run all the way to the edge of the protruding platform, do a double jump and then angel lift, and I fall short of the edge every single time. i can't find any colored points to use Arbiter pull or Osiris Lift to help me get across. And its timed, so I can't sit there and study it to figure out another option.

I've failed this fucking thing at least 20 times and I'm going to take a sledgehammer to this Dual Shock 3, stomp the rest of its guts out and then make the little bits and pieces watch me fuck its mom, right in front of his little plastic broken carcass.

Angel Dash between the jumps. LT+A

iavi

All of those previous designs are in line with the tone the OG TGS Debut trailer gave off. I just don't think they'd fit in the narrative we ended up with, unfortunately. That, what I'm guessing is a, DT Dante concept with him being overtaken by the spawns would have been so, so very fucking awesome.

Having a meta game of balancing use of DT/ hypothetical Angel Trigger would have also been awesome, and a very new dynamic to the series that only NT's story could bring.

I'm starting to feel like they missed so much here with trying to keep in line with the OG series.

Mike M

Nick N
Finished SSS ranking Nephilim. Kinda kicking my ass for thinking the final boss was moderately difficult when really all I needed to do was hammer him with the axe.

Son of Sparda definitely turns up the heat a little bit. By the second mission, the big guns are already coming out, which makes me wonder what the following levels are going to be like. Probably nothing but Dreamrunners all the time...

IJoel

Finished the game on Nephilim today and loved it! It's probably my favorite DMC game (have played them all). The art, locales, combat, and graphics are fantastic! Hopefully the game is a success, and NT can continue working on the franchise. For what it's worth, I hated the original Dante design (when they unveiled the game), and while I don't love the one they used, the entirety of the game more than makes up for it. If I had a complaint, it's that it's pretty short. Hope there's some DLC planned for it.

Oh, and as many have mentioned, DT is rather lacking; I rarely used it.

Finished the game on Nephilim today and loved it! It's probably my favorite DMC game (have played them all). The art, locales, combat, and graphics are fantastic!

Hopefully the game is a success, and NT can continue working on the franchise. For what it's worth, I hated the original Dante design (when they unveiled the game), and while I don't love the one they used, the entirety of the game more than makes up for it.

If I had a complaint, it's that it's pretty short. Hope there's some DLC planned for it.

Oh, and as many have mentioned, DT is rather lacking; I rarely used it.

You'll find the DT to be useful on the harder difficulty settings, only for it's power increase and the ability to take out colored enemies with any weapon under devil trigger mode.

Why Capcom doesn't just copy and paste the awesome Devil Trigger from DMC1 is beyond me. That game got it so right.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
It's one of my favorite games in recent history too, don't let the handful of bitter crybabies who won't admit that NT actually made a great game fool you. Really sad to see that the whiners have to resort to spoilers, the Vergil one was beyond childish.

Mike M

Nick N
Honestly, if the lock-on and color coding issue were resolved, I think this might be my favorite installment in the series, lowered skill ceiling and everything. I just can't stop playing it, and it's really grown on me (But I wasn't ever really hating it to begin with).

Bring on Bloody Palace already.

Raxus

I am finally gelling with the combat. Only the color coded dogs are giving me problems but otherwise I think I can start pulling off crazier combos.

Korigama

Looking at Metacritic it's also critically the the best received installment in the series, something to keep in mind before you take the overtly negative reactions too seriously.
Not that I put any stock in Metacritic, but DMC1 and 3:SE are still higher, actually.

BBHX2HLCIAEnECG.jpg:large

Moar concept art. Maybe they really were planning an "angel trigger" of some sort, or at least had more visual effects on dante to show what style he's in.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Not that I put any stock in Metacritic, but DMC1 and 3:SE are still higher, actually.

Not saying good metacritic score == good game but it gives you a good indication of critical reception. But alas you're right I forgot to sort the search results d'oh.

Dahbomb

Is DmC actually meant to be part of the same continuity? I thought it was intended at first then NT took it back, but I haven't closely followed it much.
I am very certain that DmC started off as a prequel but after the backlash they made it into an alternate universe thing. It's because when it was first unveiled there was a lot of confusion as to what it was before Capcom/NT finally settled on something.

Some brought it up so I will make a post about it. Here are modifications I would make to the system/game play that would make it much more enjoyable for intermediate to high level players:

*Style meter downgrades past the current letter if you repeat moves or just don't do anything. The speed of downgrade is faster than before.
*Style meter resets after a few seconds of non-combat.
*Damage on bosses in SoS doubled to current values and tripled in DMD mode.
*Bosses attack more frequently, their AIs fixed (especially the last fight who has a crap load of ways to glitch him out)
*Color coated enemies lose their color armor after a few hits of that weapon during a combo. Sort of like how the shield works on the Witch, you need Angel weapons to break it but after that you can go ham.
*Completion rank not a factor in overall style rank. Replaced by Damage value just like in DMC3. Getting even scratched negates SSS rank.
*Cannot get SSS rank overall without getting SSS rank in all parameters.
*DT enemies are faster in attack speed
*Enemy step no longer prevents downward fall of enemies.
*Adjustment on hit boxes of various moves and enemy step window
*Demon/Angel pulls can only be used once in the air during combat if you whiff it. Pull action can be reset via jump cancelling.
*Demon/Angel pulls sped up in animation.
*Demon Dodge is reworked. If a perfect evade is performed with Demon Dodge, it then triggers a Taunt animation which has to go through it's entire animation before you get the bonuses. The bonuses would still be nerfed a bit. Demon Dodge not possible in air.
*I would probably speed up the start up on the Demon weapons but slightly reduce their damage. Makes them easier to use in combos without being abusive.
*Osiris Feed activates faster and gives more damage. More reason to use this weapon in combat.
*Pop and Shredder can no longer be used for Parrying for purposes unless timing properly. This applies to other moves with huge active frames as well. Parry windows also need to be tighter to execute.
*Active i-frames on roll reduced, recovery increased (ground version).
*Rainstorms increased in speed.
*Uncharged Round Trips do not cause any stun lock. Stun time of charged RTs decreased dramatically.
*Stun time on enemies/bosses reduced on higher difficulties (you have to attack them quicker once you get the chance).

Whatever... I can dream. PC version mods BELIEVE?

Facism

BBHX2HLCIAEnECG.jpg:large

Moar concept art. Maybe they really were planning an "angel trigger" of some sort, or at least had more visual effects on dante to show what style he's in.

These look boss, tbh. Would have been nice for a dramatic shift in his look dependinf on whether he was using angel or demon weapons.

also lol @ Vagisil.

Seik

Banned
I really, really like the game more than I though I would.

Started playing today and I almost never left it, I'm at misson 18 right now. Ninja Theory did the job right if you ask me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That looks extremely formulaic and dull for earning maximum ranking in an action brawler.

The slowmo dodge you see is Demon Dodge, which basically cranks out style to an absurd degree even if you do repetitive moves. This compounds with your rank not actually decreasing naturally to make it very easy to play it safe while still being SSS.

Deitus

Watching that final boss fight video brings a few things to mind (I'll keep the spoilers at a minimum, but read at your own risk).

1. What's up with changing the pronunciation of "Mundus"? Reminds me of that Last Airbender live action film where they mispronounced all of the character names for no reason at all.

2. That scene right before the final boss fight where Dante and
Vergil
are staring down each other while the camera dramatically circles and Dante sloooooooowly reaches for his weapon is absolutely terrible. I'm not sure what they were going for with that, but the cinematography was awful and it killed any actual investment in that scene.

3. I would not defend the basic battle theme in DMC3 in any way (and its terrible that they used a remix of it for the DMC4 battle theme), but the final boss theme was fantastic. That DmC final boss theme is just so generic. Such a shame. For the record, I am only comparing the two
because the fights are against the same character... sort of.

Sorry, not trying to just drop a hate bomb here.

XenoJim

Banned
Hmm. I'm not going to post them here but the first week uk data is up.

It's a bit lower than I expected tbh.

It's my understanding that it is occupying the number one slot which on face value would seem good but I've read it sold 1/3 of what DMC 4 did in its first week in the region and on top of that I saw these figures as what number is needed to take the top spot...

*Redacted

If those numbers are right that's a pretty small number to move to hold first place.

confuziz

Banned
It's my understanding that it is occupying the number one slot which on face value would seem good but I've read it sold 1/3 of what DMC 4 did in its first week in the region and on top of that I saw these figures as what number is needed to take the top spot...

If those numbers are right that's a pretty small number to move to hold first place.

REMOVE FAST, THE NINJAS ARE COMING

Top Bottom