• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DO NOT PLAY OVERWATCH, THIS IS A SERIOUS WARNING - Etika

The game got its hooks in me when I learned how to play a bunch of characters. Started getting good with Symmetra and now I can't put the game down. Those loot boxes keep me motivated.

Man I'm surprised GAF isn't cracking down more on this thinly veiled bullshit.

If you code it right, you can get anyway with anything. There are people trying to argue that this dude wasn't using "standard English" (it was, actually, going by their definition!), so it's just on the corner of absolute fuckery.

I couldn't listen through his Ebonics. I never understood why people talk like that in this day and age, (unless it is all a joke).

I understand there's probably a cultural disconnect but even then I'm not gonna sugar coat things

Get over yourself... are you kidding me? That's not ebonics. That's not even close to ebonics. That's not even close to unintelligible.

The guy is speaking clear english. If you're that put off by occasional slang then you'd best get off the internet or just find a nice insular corner of the net to hide on because we won't coddle that here.
The other night I was playing Arma 3 Wasteland just talking to some dudes at a trader, having a regular old conversation. At one point I ended a sentence with the word 'dawg' and one of those dudes told me to 'please talk White I can't understand you'.
That's about how sincere and how ignorant your post comes off as.

From watching Etika reacting to videos before, I'm not surprised by lack of self control.

If a game has that kind of power over your life, seek help, it ain't normal.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's absolutely perfect English. He only uses two slang words, "bro" and "dawg". Neither of which are exclusively popular with African Americans. Everything else he enunciates and pronounces clearly and cleanly. Maybe "as a German person" you should differ to the opinions of actual Americans on what is and isn't American English? If you can't understand him then I wonder how you're even able to play a game like Overwatch to begin with, nevermind American media in general.

I did not say it is impossible to understand him, just that it sounds rough and that it would be more easily understood if he wasn't using slang, both in pronounciation and wording. I also have never said that this specific slang is exclusive to African Americans, so I don't know what the point is in pointing that out to me. I was talking about non-standard language (including pronounciation) in comparison to standard language.

Most people have already addressed your point, but I just wanted to point out that both "dawg" and "bro" are found within the Oxford dictionary.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/dawg
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/bro
One (dawg) is explicitly labelled as non-standard, the other is merely informal. It's a dicitionary afterall, so it will explain even some slang, informal or non-standard words, which does not make them standard language.
I personally strive for clarity by "proper" use as well but I think it's unreasonable to place the expectation on others as something they "ought" to do. Often when a person tries to follow academic standards of speech they are considered unrelatable by many people, and that is certainly a balance that takes place in communication, especially for something culturally casual like this youtube. By being more freely himself, just as many people are endeared to him as are put off by him.

Ultimately the result is more diversity and wide expression of humanity in the world. I enjoy having many cultures and subcultures in all their different ways and speech and mannerisms. For instance, I'm glad that Ireland didn't become exactly like England. I think the way we turn out different brings a lot of value and wonder to existence, and since these cultural differences happen completely naturally among local communities as humans don't have omniscient contact with each other, I think it is silly to fight against it too strongly.

I spent several years rather deeply involved with a Korean community. Their English wasn't perfect American standard, and they often had concern over that, but I thought it was silly to bother worrying about it. They did have their own natural way of using English, and I understood them perfectly. What more do we need? How many thousands of hours of dedicated effort would they have to put in to reach 100% standard American English? It's just unreasonable to ask it of them, and for nothing more than to partially cover up their heritage.

I think it's good to reach a little both ways, and this video isn't that hard to understand.
I agree with what you said wrt not demanding perfect use of standard language from everyone, because yes, it's ultimately an individual choice and it may also be beyond what can reasonably be achieved by the person in question. As I said, I myself, even though I think using only standard language is important (to me) am not capable of doing so in a satisfactory way. Using slang, even though you are capable of higher language, is also an acceptable choice and I respect that choice. It does not change my point that the association of slang with lower education is not completely unfounded. Certainly, it is no direct inference, but merely a cumulation.

Kusagari

Part of the beauty of language is how is evolves over time. Wanting everyone to talk like a robot with the Oxford dictionary inside them is not only something I find offensive linguistically but culturally as well.

Neiteio

Ebonics is just a form of casual speech. Like "dawg" = "dude." Same ideas, different slang.

I wouldn't advise speaking like that in a professional or academic environment, but it's not harmful. At the same time, I can understand how someone not familiar with it would find it hard to follow, especially someone outside the U.S.

Also, Etika is very articulate when he's serious. I saw one video by him where he thanked his fans, and he was very polished and precise in his language. When he uses ebonics, he's just having fun.

Personally, while I don't use it myself, I like ebonics because it sounds friendly. Maybe that's the result of growing up in the metro Detroit area with friends who speak that way. :)

trugs26

The game is fun and I've been playing it every night. But I don't see how this is really that addictive. I easily put the game down and stop thinking about it and do other things. This is unlike other games which are actually quite addictive and have me thinking about it a lot and it's hard for me to pull myself away.

That's just me anyway.

I did not say it is impossible to understand him, just that it sounds rough and that it would be more easily understood if he wasn't using slang, both in pronounciation and wording. I also have never said that this specific slang is exclusive to African Americans, so I don't know what the point is in pointing that out to me. I was talking about non-standard language (including pronounciation) in comparison to standard language.

It's rough to understand him because of two words? If you get caught up on two simple words used in everyday language, standard or not, that's the fault of the listener moreso than the speaker when the former is perfectly capable of understanding those words.

One of the reasons slang is used in society is to shorthand things. You are telling me that people are better understood when everything is spoken in a long format?

Ebonics, which is what he mentioned, is attributed to african americans, whether other races use it or not. It's unavoidable to the conversation at hand, and to deny this means you want to skip the unconfortable race part you so cutely walk around. The whole thing started because this guy didn't like a black dude saying presumably "black" things and called it ebonics. Had it been about his accent, possibly we could talk about that.But it's not.

One (dawg) is explicitly labelled as non-standard, the other is merely informal. It's a dicitionary afterall, so it will explain even some slang, informal or non-standard words, which does not make them standard language.

Standard or not, it's still an actual term found in same dictionary you hold so close. Sorry, language evolves, usage evolves, and we add more to things.

I agree with what you said wrt not demanding perfect use of standard language from everyone, because yes, it's ultimately an individual choice and it may also be beyond what can reasonably be achieved by the person in question. As I said, I myself, even though I think using only standard language is important (to me) am not capable of doing so in a satisfactory way. Using slang, even though you are capable of higher language, is also an acceptable choice and I respect that choice. It does not change my point that the association of slang with lower education is not completely unfounded. Certainly, it is no direct inference, but merely a cumulation.

So you'd rather language and by extension culture stay put for whatever reason instead of letting people march on? And higher language? Can you really speak of higher language when you want that shit to stay the same and are arguing against branches of language?

At this point, you are arguing for a person who doesn't like the usage of bro and dawg because the guy saying it was black. And you'll defend that person's right to be that way because you personally don't like language evolving.

Okay.

Azuran

Banned
Etika uses a standard variation of English? What standard does he follow? This is certainly neither Oxford English, nor clean American English.

What in the world is American English? You do know not everyone in North America speaks the same right? Each region has it's own dialect and slang despite speaking the same language. Do you go nuts when you hear a Southerner talk?

Well, I'm playing Overwatch and I'm in pretty deep too. However, I have the cure:

Work a job where you work graveyards with a 7 days on/7 days off shift with a one hour commute there and back. You'll be too tired to play OW, and be forced to not play it(or any game) for seven days.

....:[

Dreavus

Come on guys, critique the hyperbole and over-the-top nature of the video (I love Overwatch, but this man is going crazy), not how the guy is speaking.

There are plenty of english dialects and accents out there that are legitimately difficult to understand, and this is not even remotely close to being one of those.

Things that confuse me:

1) is this guy serious because I was pretty sure he wasn't but then he started talking about buying loot boxes and suddenly I was less sure because that actually seems like a trap some people could fall into if they lack self-control;

2) did you people actually critique this man's diction for seven goddamned pages because are you kidding me right now.

PtM

Banned
Things that confuse me:

1) is this guy serious because I was pretty sure he wasn't but then he started talking about buying loot boxes and suddenly I was less sure because that actually seems like a trap some people could fall into if they lack self-control;

2) did you people actually critique this man's diction for seven goddamned pages because are you kidding me right now.
Haha, it's never boring on neogaf.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The game was fun during the beta...but I don't think I would ever spend $60 on it. Maybe $20 at most. There's not really much to it. Sure you can play different characters and such, but eh that's about all the variety there is too it. Also why and the hell would you buy shit for it? Spending real money on crap for a game?? That's just a waste.

Trace

Banned
The game was fun during the beta...but I don't think I would ever spend $60 on it. Maybe $20 at most. There's not really much to it. Sure you can play different characters and such, but eh that's about all the variety there is too it. Also why and the hell would you buy shit for it? Spending real money on crap for a game?? That's just a waste.

Because it's fun.

gatti-man

It's huge fun with friends and the gameplay gets better the more time you spend on it. It desperately needs more maps and modes but what is there is great.

Man get the fuck all the way out here with this shit. You ain't even trying to be covert with this shit…dawg.

Pardon me sir but your post is slightly incoherent and bewilders me. I'm sort of lost as to "dawg"'s meaning and thus it renders your whole post unintelligible. Please fix it up for me
breh

Etika. a random youtuber with a lot of fanbase.

Blizzard: Hey kid. $?
Etika: $!

Etika: "Please play this game!!!" (using inverted psychology)

Someguy. A random forumer who talks about games.

Game Dev: Money is important
Someguy: $?????

Someguy: "Money is literally the only variable when it comes to gaming culture and game development. Youtuber endorsed a game? $$$. Feature got cut? $$$. Game isn't what I wanted? $$$. Game is on another console? $$$. It's literally that simple, always."

Dumb click-bait video, but it's so goddamn true.
I've had the game for three days and I can't stop playing every second I have of free time.
First Blizzard game ever and it's got me so hard it hurts.

Mask

They got me too.

Wasn't overly interested, didn't even play any of the betas, then I gradually noticed it via videos, some youtubers I watch playing matches and general positive word of mouth.

Grabbed the Origin edition from amazon, PC with a some weird metal coin and badge. Won't be here until June 7-8th, but I can wait!

Dude needs to learn some self-control. I'm more surprised he hasn't played TF2, since they are so similar.
Played with some friends and its fun as long as your team goes for objectives instead of kills.
Its cool it lets you switch heros if they counter your hero.
Honestly, I'm not really seeing the appeal.

RevenWolf

I couldn't listen through his Ebonics. I never understood why people talk like that in this day and age, (unless it is all a joke).

maxresdefault.jpg

I think this image applies nicely to both the absurdity of such a comment, while also providing an example of actual ebonics being used horribly.

No seriously if anyone want's to watch the most unintentionally racist training video ever just look up gamecrazy training video or something like that XD

On topic, this game is great, but yeah people need to remember moderation, too much of anything is never healthy.

Top Bottom