• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DO NOT PLAY OVERWATCH, THIS IS A SERIOUS WARNING - Etika

Dunkley

This isn't necessarily true. I don't like FPS games, normally, unless there is a horror theme. Overwatch does not have a horror theme. I don't normally like playing online either. Usually because I am awful compared to everyone else. Overwatch is pretty accessible. I'm definitely not as good as a lot of people, but it's still fun because it's so easy to contribute.

I mean that's why I said probably. :p

It's definitely worth a try if you got the money but I don't think Overwatch is the FPS garunteed to make you like the genre if you don't at least somewhat like it already.

PtM

Banned
TAaCKKy.gif
By the by, who's this?

I must have Overwatch immunity because I got completely bored of the game by level 10.

I have no idea what the appeal of this game is.

It got great reviews, apparently sold tons of copies and people fiercely defend the game.

I gave it a few hours and it feels like the most shallow sandbox shoot'em up with only 2 tangible game modes and zero progression or gameplay customization.

Why am I not feeling this game? I'm starting to think there is something wrong with ME!

😞

Am I alone on this?

I'll say I'm enjoying Overwatch quite a bit. I like the art style and the backstory and world they've built for it. I can still sympathize with this viewpoint though. I haven't gotten bored, but it's also not a game I dedicate more than maybe two hours at a time to either.

Part of me gets the appeal though: it's more objective based than trying to rack up a good K:D ratio. It tries to be incredibly balanced and offer a playing style for anybody, even "traditional" FPS MP folk. At the same time, I'm taken aback by what a 'phenomenon' it's become in many circles. I think it's fun, but don't find myself mind-blown.

george_us

"Slicin' nigga's dicks off"

Lmao it's funny he brings up Genji because I had that exact same experience with him last night. I told myself I was just going to get a match in and see how he played, wound up playing for two more hours.

WadeitOut

Overwatch is just way too shallow of a game for me to get addicted to it. I got more addicted to DotA in WC3 and League of Legends.

I am already laid to waste. It's the one game on my mind all day long.

While I can get frustrated with the plethora of teammates that do not seem to ever care about the objective, I have found that going into VS CPU for a round or two or jumping into Arcade for a while does dangerously refresh my morale for the vanilla experience in Quickplay.

I also matchmaked with a full group of 6 people last night for the first time and we sucked because everyone was waaaaaaay more invested in ribbing each other and trying to stake claims to permanent character fills but I still had a blast.

I mean, this game often feels just as toxic and frustrating as any random multiplayer shooter I can think of, but it somehow has become the only thought on my mind all day long when I am doing anything but playing it.

This game is, to me, well... Just kind of glorious.

BigDug13

I'll say I'm enjoying Overwatch quite a bit. I like the art style and the backstory and world they've built for it. I can still sympathize with this viewpoint though. I haven't gotten bored, but it's also not a game I dedicate more than maybe two hours at a time to either.

Part of me gets the appeal though: it's more objective based than trying to rack up a good K:D ratio. It tries to be incredibly balanced and offer a playing style for anybody, even "traditional" FPS MP folk. At the same time, I'm taken aback by what a 'phenomenon' it's become in many circles. I think it's fun, but don't find myself mind-blown.

I think it's great BECAUSE it doesn't have normal progression bullshit that has infected multiplayer games. No leg-up based on time investment in the form of extra guns, abilities, armors, consumables, or special locked away characters. No community-splitting paid DLC planned. Your reward for time investment is getting better at the game. Learning the maps. Getting better at coordination of ults, countering ults/characters, etc. It's simple. Nobody has a special item they acquired that makes their character better than you. Also really great balance out the gate for this game. Nobody is egregiously overpowered. Maybe slight tweaks needed here and there but for the most part, the game delivers just plain fun with roles/classes for all skill levels.

I think "mind blown" isn't quite what people are feeling. Maybe "breath of fresh air" is more accurate.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Multiplayer shooters are a subset of retail games, not the other way around.

Ahhh ok, so dude I quoted meant he didn't play multiplayer shooters, not retail games. In which case I have to wonder why he's posting in an Overwatch thread. Peculiar!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's not the term, so much as it is saying he's intelligible because of his black slang.

But is this really so strange? From my experience, slang (not specifically black one, but in general, for all languages) is considered less intelligible by many, many people. It not even stops with ethnical slang, but includes regional slang, as well. Considering standard dialect is dominant in higher educated groups and jobs, and slang / regional dialects tend to occur more often in informal speech of (not exclusively, of course) less educated peoplethis association is not wrong per sé, though it is of course no causality, because certainly, people who are intelligent and well educated may still speak in a slang or dialect. Personally, I am actually happy for anyone who points out when I deviate from standard language because it gives me the opportunity to fix an error in my own use of the language. Including remnants of regional dialect or influences from ethnical dialect (which, for my native language, would usually not be one of black people, but arabic origin). Independent of if one infers less intelligible speaker from the usage of slang, I would personally agree that this specific slang is hard to listen to.

When I went from watching Deep Space Nine in German to watching it in English, I enjoyed most voices more (especially the doctor and Garak), but Sisko was really hard to listen to most of the time. Where he used very nice and clean standard language in German, he was talking similar to the guy in the video in the op (though less aggressive sounding). I indeed felt the character made a less well-educated impression. Even though I realise this is a wrong impression, considering it was still the absolute same character.

Farsi

Glad the video is going viral. Etika needed a surge after he took some time off.

Etika Watch Network. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You're not going to find a lot of patience with people here on this matter, but I like to try to be constructive in all situations so I'll offer some advice and if you don't get banned it will be very helpful for you in the future. Have you ever noticed foreigners having trouble understanding an Irish person speaking with their accent and vernacular, especially when excited? That isn't exactly the speaker's problem, is it? They are who they are, they are what they are, they are from where they are from. If everyone was to conform to a "standard" of the most powerful nearby culture then Ireland would have stopped being Irish a long time ago.

I get that multicultural interactions are probably much less of a thing over there, but try to have some self-awareness. If you can understand how a person might find a person "speaking very Irish" hard to understand or annoying, yet how that is their own problem, then think how the same is true of you with peoples you are unfamiliar with. If I go to Singapore I'm going to expect their own way of using English which is different. If I go to rural southern states here in the US I'm going to expect them to speak differently.

Yeah, there are "standards" that are used for the news and whatnot, but those are essentially ethnocentric and classist, perhaps arguably a pragmatic standard for sake of their own medium. One may expect business to operate with its own culture and conformity but just a casual youtube is going to be personal and should be received as such. Tens of millions of people are very comfortable with the way he's speaking. A subculture doesn't need to be its own island or country to be legitimate (that's not a knock on Ireland, my own heritage is Irish, I'm just pointing out that people are usually go to islands with an open attitude expecting a unique culture and speech).

And if you do actually consider a heavy Irish way of speaking as "improper" and something to be "corrected in this day and age" then that is something here in the US we would call internalized racism.

Going a bit too deep sometimes for a response to someone with such a spectacular lack of self-awareness, but I applaud the effort nonetheless.

Raising the standard one post at a time.

Yoshi

You're not going to find a lot of patience with people here on this matter, but I like to try to be constructive in all situations so I'll offer some advice and if you don't get banned it will be very helpful for you in the future. Have you ever noticed foreigners having trouble understanding an Irish person speaking with their accent and vernacular, especially when excited? That isn't exactly the speaker's problem, is it? They are who they are, they are what they are, they are from where they are from. If everyone was to conform to a "standard" of the most powerful nearby culture then Ireland would have stopped being Irish a long time ago.

I get that multicultural interactions are probably much less of a thing over there, but try to have some self-awareness. If you can understand how a person might find a person "speaking very Irish" hard to understand or annoying, yet how that is their own problem, then think how the same is true of you with peoples you are unfamiliar with. If I go to Singapore I'm going to expect their own way of using English which is different. If I go to rural southern states here in the US I'm going to expect them to speak differently.

Yeah, there are "standards" that are used for the news and whatnot, but those are essentially ethnocentric and classist, perhaps arguably a pragmatic standard for sake of their own medium. One may expect business to operate with its own culture and conformity but just a casual youtube is going to be personal and should be received as such. Tens of millions of people are very comfortable with the way he's speaking. A subculture doesn't need to be its own island or country to be legitimate (that's not a knock on Ireland, my own heritage is Irish, I'm just pointing out that people are usually go to islands with an open attitude expecting a unique culture and speech).

And if you do actually consider a heavy Irish way of speaking as "improper" and something to be "corrected in this day and age" then that is something here in the US we would call internalized racism.
I think this is an interesting viewpoint and one that I can in principle understand. However, if a listener does not understand you well, because you are not following standard language, I would argue, it is a bit of a problem from the speaker's side, because standards exist to make communication easier and to make yourself understood more easily. So when you are communicating, your goal should be to make your partner understand what you want to convey in a way that is as precise as possible. In order to ensure this, abiding to the rules of standard language is an effective measure with no apparent disadvantages.

As a German, my use of English language is recognisable by many as having German influences and I do not think that this is a good thing, because it can lead to misunderstandings or troubled communication. If I could freely choose my way of speaking and writing, I would absolutely love to use clean Oxford English exclusively. Conversely, if someone has the ability to do so, I would always apreciate if the person used that variant, because it ensures that the sender-receiver problem is not amplified by dialect induced imprecision (when measured against the rules of the standard language).

PtM

Banned
I think this is an interesting viewpoint and one that I can in principle understand. However, if a listener does not understand you well, because you are not following standard language, I would argue, it is a bit of a problem from the speaker's side, because standards exist to make communication easier and to make yourself understood more easily. So when you are communicating, your goal should be to make your partner understand what you want to convey in a way that is as precise as possible. In order to ensure this, abiding to the rules of standard language is an effective measure with no apparent disadvantages.

As a German, my use of English language is recognisable by many as having German influences and I do not think that this is a good thing, because it can lead to misunderstandings or troubled communication. If I could freely choose my way of speaking and writing, I would absolutely love to use clean Oxford English exclusively. Conversely, if someone has the ability to do so, I would always apreciate if the person used that variant, because it ensures that the sender-receiver problem is not amplified by dialect induced imprecision (when measured against the rules of the standard language).
But Etika does use a standard. :3
ODMNIFV.gif

Contestant on Big Brother US from quite a few years back now.
She's really pretty for a 12th season showing.

Yoshi

Etika uses a standard variation of English? What standard does he follow? This is certainly neither Oxford English, nor clean American English.

Parfait

Etika is one of my favorite youtubers. He overreacts, but in a way that's kind of genuine and nostalgic.

Also he sacrificed a box when he saw Cloud in Smash, so it's not mathematically possible to dislike him anyway.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

I personally strive for clarity by "proper" use as well but I think it's unreasonable to place the expectation on others as something they "ought" to do. Often when a person tries to follow academic standards of speech they are considered unrelatable by many people, and that is certainly a balance that takes place in communication, especially for something culturally casual like this youtube. By being more freely himself, just as many people are endeared to him as are put off by him.

Ultimately the result is more diversity and wide expression of humanity in the world. I enjoy having many cultures and subcultures in all their different ways and speech and mannerisms. For instance, I'm glad that Ireland didn't become exactly like England. I think the way we turn out different brings a lot of value and wonder to existence, and since these cultural differences happen completely naturally among local communities as humans don't have omniscient contact with each other, I think it is silly to fight against it too strongly.

I spent several years rather deeply involved with a Korean community. Their English wasn't perfect American standard, and they often had concern over that, but I thought it was silly to bother worrying about it. They did have their own natural way of using English, and I understood them perfectly. What more do we need? How many thousands of hours of dedicated effort would they have to put in to reach 100% standard American English? It's just unreasonable to ask it of them, and for nothing more than to partially cover up their heritage.

I think it's good to reach a little both ways, and this video isn't that hard to understand.

Kusagari

I read the posts in the topic and went in expecting some unintelligible Young Thug level shit.

Instead I get a guy using clear English ending sentences with bro and dawg.

How is this hard to understand?

Rizific

this guy comes off as a complete fucking idiot. presentation aside, OW is a good game. i have a 4 week old daughter, 7 year old son, wife, and a house to maintain. i dont get as much time in as id like, but i manage. is it so serious that some people are absolutely unable to control themselves? i dont think so.

I'm interested in trying the game out, but I'm not 40-dollars-interested.
Independent of if one infers less intelligible speaker from the usage of slang, I would personally agree that this specific slang is hard to listen to.
But that's precisely where the original issue stemmed from to begin with. It was never an issue of intelligibility; it was the fact that some people find one person's slang grating, and as such, that person should seek to minimize its usage. I never saw a specific example brought to light, however. He says "bro" and "dawg" a lot, but that seems common enough to not be considered under the umbrella of what was dubbed "Ebonics".

ODMNIFV.gif
I'm glad he doesn't try to style his hair like Vegeta anymore.

WadeitOut

such a comparison!

it's like the apple really IS an orange!

...What comparison? No one was comparing anything. I listed games that I actually got addicted to. I think it's time to put down the Hanzo pipe and stop chasing the elemental dragon.

As soon as a new AAA title releases I will be done with Overwatch. It doesn't have a lot of content so it will get old fast.

Sure, no problem. I've never liked MOBA or FPS or competitive gaming to begin with.

This is me exactly. I feel like I've been the only guy not bending over backwards with hype. I mean, hey, more power to the fans and all, but it really does nothing for me. I REALLY couldn't care less.

Of course it helps that I don't have a gaming PC or a current gen console right now.

TheYanger

This is me exactly. I feel like I've been the only guy not bending over backwards with hype. I mean, hey, more power to the fans and all, but it really does nothing for me. I REALLY couldn't care less.

Of course it helps that I don't have a gaming PC or a current gen console right now.

So if neither of you realize it's not at all a moba, and you aren't in themarket to even possibly play or have played it, why do you care enough to post about how much you don't care?

WadeitOut

So if neither of you realize it's not at all a moba, and you aren't in themarket to even possibly play or have played it, why do you care enough to post about how much you don't care?

If only consensus opinions are allowed then the thread is nothing but an echo chamber circle jerk. And probably doesn't need to exist at that point because it doesn't lend itself to actual discussion.

I'm sure if you asked Blizzard they want more than just TF2 players to like their game.

Top Bottom