• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does listening to rap make you a misogynist?

Focusing on women's looks is not misogyny by definition. Just as focusing on a man's ability to attain resources is not misandry.

It can create second order problems but showcasing and discussing human beauty is prominent in art.

When you systematically have a bigger focus on one trait for one gender, and a bigger focus on the other trait for another gender, that is problematic

Yes, they're all problematic in many ways. But whataboutism is not very constructive :/
Nearly all US media is misogynistic and violent because the culture is. Rap is always the scapegoat for obvious reasons- its performers are majority Black and they use scary curse words. A good amount of rap isn't misogynistic. What's out there in the mainstream isn't even put out there by Black gatekeepers, its folks who have a vested interest in perpetuating stereotypes.

Nearly all US media is misogynistic and violent because the culture is. Rap is always the scapegoat for obvious reasons- its performers are majority Black and they use scary curse words. A good amount of rap isn't misogynistic. What's out there in the mainstream isn't even put out there by Black gatekeepers, its folks who have a vested interest in perpetuating stereotypes.

right

so support the good stuff and boycott the bad stuff in every genre

Yes, they're all problematic in many ways. But whataboutism is not very constructive :/

The point isn't about being constructive. It's highlighting that all popular media in the US is mygionsistic and violent but some how we consistently are talking about just hip hop because black people make it. Which make no mistake, is the only actual reason why the genre is targetted over and over and over.

It's a boring discussion. I am not gonna entertain constant rap is evil shit when the culture of the land that everyone embraces literally has all this shit as standard practice

The point isn't about being conatructive. It's highlighting that all popular media in the US is mygionsistic and violent but some how we consistently are talking about just hip hop because black people make it. Which make no mistake, is the only actual reason why the genre is targetted over and over and over.

Is this the case?

For example, there tends to be a lot of discussion here on gaf about misogynistic tendencies in video games and movies. We discuss those a lot more often than rap, ime

Is this the case?

For example, there tends to be a lot of discussion here on gaf about misogynistic tendencies in video games and movies. We discuss those a lot more often than rap, ime

Rap has been under attack for the exact same this thread is about for what, 4 decades? Gaf does not represent the world man.

right

so support the good stuff and boycott the bad stuff in every genre
Lol I just support whatever i like. I avoid playing certain media around my kids due to misogyny or violence but I don't purity test my entertainment. I even listen to racist anti-Black music just to smh at what's out there, doesn't mean I agree with the artist's views.

Lolll, I don't think so, I was called one by my ex, and it was one of the main reasons she cited for breaking up with me.

By ex, I hope you mean your most recent girl that didn't allow you to hang out with your friends and was supposedly getting hit on by every guy at work.

If so, good job.

Cagey

Banned

The point isn't about being constructive. It's highlighting that all popular media in the US is mygionsistic and violent but some how we consistently are talking about just hip hop because black people make it. Which make no mistake, is the only actual reason why the genre is targetted over and over and over.

It's a boring discussion. I am not gonna entertain constant rap is evil shit when the culture of the land that everyone embraces literally has all this shit as standard practice
Rap is worse than other music genres on these issues. Much worse.

Rap being a predominantly black art form and America being racist doesn't render that statement false nor does that statement somehow absolve other, predominantly white genres.

jmizzal

I always find it hilarious when people try to jump on rap music but there a thousands of movies filled with bitch and female disrespect, drug use, violence, killing robbing, and i'm talking about white movies.

But hey rap is bad tho smh

Alienfan

I don't think anyone is saying all rap music, there is tons of good, clean rap obviously. But I also think Rap still gets way more of a pass for homophobia and misogyny than any other genre, or medium that I can think of. And I think that's an issue when people don't see some of the lyrics as problematic. It seems like criticism of rap is stuck in the 90s sometimes, while most other mainstream media would get rightfully blasted for similar content, rap tends to get a free pass.

Rap is worse than other music genres on these issues. Much worse.

Rap being a predominantly black art form and America being racist doesn't render that statement false nor does that statement somehow absolve other, predominantly white genres.

So you think the criticism over rap and hip hop is not about it being black? You think all the critics of rap music (whom barely even listen to it) are really genuinely concerned with the violence (have you ever explored the neighbourhood and lives a lot of these people live in) and the drug talk (which is used roughly equally across races?

I don't. Just because a song has mentions of violence or drugs, it doesn'y imply its glorifying it. And even if it is, the criticism is not being aimed because the masses think these things are problems. It's because it's black people doing it.

Rap has been under attack for the exact same this thread is about for what, 4 decades? Gaf does not represent the world man.

Well, I'm not American so I'm not as well-versed in your culture wars as y'all. Just as Gaf doesn't represent the world, neither does the USA. In my country no one really criticizes rap music for misogyny, though our rap music tends to contain a lot less of it than American rap music.

It seems like you're saying that discussion about misogyny and violence in other genres than rap is not discussed enough in America as a whole? Then, by all means, misogyny in the other aspects of American culture should be discussed more in American society at large.

But by that same token, if discussion about misogyny in rap music is not discussed enough on gaf, then shouldn't we strive to discuss it more than we currently do here at gaf?

Alienfan

I always find it hilarious when people try to jump on rap music but there a thousands of movies filled with bitch and female disrespect, drug use, violence, killing robbing, and i'm talking about white movies.

But hey rap is bad tho smh

What rock have you been living under where film doesn't get criticized for how they portray women?

Cagey

Banned
So you think the criticism over rap and hip hop is not about it being black? You think all the critics of rap music (whom barely even listen to it) are really genuinely concerned with the violence (have you ever explored the neighbourhood and lives a lot of these people live in) and the drug talk (which is used roughly equally across races?

I don't. Just because a song has mentions of violence or drugs, it doesn'y imply its glorifying it. And even if it is, the criticism is not being aimed because the masses think these things are problems. It's because it's black people doing it.
Your first paragraph of rhetorical strawmen questions accomplishes nothing but distraction.

It seems you can't honestly criticize rap music for misogyny because you're more concerned about racists criticizing rap. Shame.

Well, I'm not American so I'm not as well-versed in your culture wars as y'all. Just as Gaf doesn't represent the world, neither does the USA. In my country no one really criticizes rap music for misogyny, though our rap music tends to contain a lot less of it than American rap music.

It seems like you're saying that discussion about misogyny and violence in other genres than rap is not discussed enough in America as a whole? Then, by all means, misogyny in the other aspects of American culture should be discussed more in American society at large.

But by that same token, if discussion about misogyny in rap music is not discussed enough on gaf, then shouldn't we strive to discuss it more than we currently do here at gaf?

What is there to discuss? Some rap music has issues with certain subject matter (and I use issues loosely here). Okay. As far as North American Rap is concerned listen to your average 90s rap song and listen to something in the last year. They aren't in the same dimension on how they treat a lot of these issues.

Your first paragraph of rhetorical strawmen questions accomplishes nothing but distraction.

It seems you can't honestly criticize rap music for misogyny because you're more concerned about racists criticizing rap. Shame.

I don't think you will find anyone saying rap doesn't have issues with misogyny so I don't get what your issue is. Mine is that the criticisms aimed at rap are not levied at other types of music that suffer the same issue and it's mainly because it's black people making it.

If all you want to say is "rap has an issue with misogyny and it should fix it" you arent saying anything. How about you address some reasons why you think that is.

Rappers talking about violence in their lives is not glorifying violence. Rappers talking about doing lots of drugs is a literal reflection of society. These actual criticism thrown at rap are surface level the vast majority of the time.

Sapiens

Does listening to metal make you a satanist? Does playing doom make you a murder machine?

What were those video games Genghis Khan had again?

While it's true that some rap has some problematic content, specifically going after rap when these issues permeate every medium and genre of entertainment is pretty fucking eye-brow raising.

What is there to discuss? Some rap music has issues with certain subject matter (and I use issues loosely here). Okay. As far as North American Rap is concerned listen to your average 90s rap song and listen to something in the last year. They aren't in the same dimension on how they treat a lot of these issues.

So because some video games overall have gotten better on women's issues, we shouldn't criticize and boycott those that have not?

NandoGip

I agree with you. The dogpile of criticism rap gets for being no different than most other mediums definitely has some sort of bias due to race.

Rap gets knocked for its "glorification of violence" when the most popular tv shows have brains getting splattered during prime time with multi-millions of people applauding it. Rap gets criticised for being "misogynist" when the only way to get prevent yourself from seeing some big old tities in media is by closing your eyes.

Our society is inherently both misogynist and violent, yet people feel like they're morally and ethically superior by looking down on hip-hop.

I'm not saying you're a racist for criticizing rap, we can definitely have an conversation about it. What I am saying is that to deny that there isn't a bias because it's black music is intellectually dishonest.

So because some video games overall have gotten better on women's issues, we shouldn't criticize and boycott those that have not?

No but produce an actual criticism. Explore an actual argument. You wanna argue rap glorifies violence then talk about why. What is the average environment your average rapper grows up in vs your average country artist?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I believe that rap is being handled the correct way, currently. Sure it's criticized, but it's not, en masse, being told to change or be eliminated/protested. It's past that stage. Rap as a whole has fought for and won it's freedom to express itself. Now it's "Too bad if you don't like it, just don't listen to it." And honestly, that's the way I believe it should be. It represents and relates to the voice of many, and it's expression is palpably important. Especially in the day and age of minority under representation in every other form of media.

To be fair to country, you have artists (like Brad Paisley) criticizing bro-country as being sexist.

We also can't deny that racism does play a factor in how people criticize hip-hop.

NandoGip

I believe that rap is being handled the correct way, currently. Sure it's criticized, but it's not, en masse, being told to change or be eliminated/protested. It's past that stage. Rap as a whole has fought for and won it's freedom to express itself. Now it's "Too bad if you don't like it, just don't listen to it." And honestly, that's the way I believe it should be. It represents and relates to the voice of many, and it's expression is palpably important. Especially in the day and age of minority under representation in every other form of media.

preach

No but produce an actual criticism. Explore an actual argument. You wanna argue rap glorifies violence then talk about why. What is the average environment your average rapper grows up in vs your average country artist?

I don't mind the violence nearly as much as the misogyny tbqh

But see: the discussion you proposed in this post is much more interesting than "rock and country does it too"

Mesoian

No.

Just because you enjoy rap doesn't mean you have to buy into every single lyric your favorite artist puts out. To think otherwise is assinine.

With DAMN in specific I'm fairly ok with it because the album does make some effort to acknowledge these things as "evil", and the album is very much about that conflict.

Otherwise, I do think that supporting something you acknowledge is sexist is hardly different from being sexist yourself. Same reasoning I have for people who voted for Trump. They supported a racist candidate, does it make any difference if they're not themselves racists? Not much, imo.

Lol I just support whatever i like. I avoid playing certain media around my kids due to misogyny or violence but I don't purity test my entertainment. I even listen to racist anti-Black music just to smh at what's out there, doesn't mean I agree with the artist's views.

It's not so much about purity tests as it is about trying to minimize cognitive dissonance, and avoiding financially supporting deplorables

But gaffers are generally pretty bad at putting their money where their mouth is, as evidenced by all the positive Chick Fil-A mentions in fast food threads

Lol...No, it certainly doesn't. Funny enough this was Miley Cyrus's reasoning for leaving the "twerking phase" behind
But I also love that new Kendrick [Lamar] song [“Humble”]: “Show me somethin’ natural like ass with some stretch marks.” I love that because it’s not “Come sit on my dick, suck on my cock.” I can’t listen to that anymore. That’s what pushed me out of the hip-hop scene a little. It was too much “Lamborghini, got my Rolex, got a girl on my cock” — I am so not that.

Alienfan

Rap being an important expression doesn't absolve it from criticism at all.

oneHeero

I was recently told by a girl that I was a sexist/misogynist because I listen to rap music. Now I understand that rap songs have lyrics that are demeaning to women, ("bitch" , "hoe" etc...) but I just enjoy the beat and like the flow of the song. Plus a lot of the newer artists (sorry I know Neogaf hates new rappers) like Future don't even do a lot of things they rap about (e.g do drugs), its mostly a persona made for them by their label or themselves. I've had other girls tell me they like rap, and I know a lot of people love rap, but just because a lot of people do something doesn't mean its right.

And... I can see how it would be considered detrimental to the advancement of women in today's society, but when I listen to rap I do so have a good time with a drink. Of course, I also listen to rap from "woke" rappers like Kendrick and tupac, but while they talk about social issues like black lives matter or the racism, they still use demeaning terms for woman.

Recently in his song Humble Kendrick lamar said and I quote

"I'm so fuckin' sick and tired of the Photoshop
Show me somethin' natural like afro on Richard Pryor
Show me somethin' natural like ass with some stretch marks"

it was met with some backlash from women on the internet, here is 1 comment ( which does not reflect the discourse everywhere on the internet, but it was the quickest one I could find)

So what do you guys think? Does listening to rap make you a misogynist?
EDIT: Or does listening to rap contribute to the plight of women in today's society? (B/C you support the artists who say these things)

I started popping molly/percocettes and sipping sizzurp after listening to future.

Future.. not even once.
lol maybe it's an interview I didn't see but the one I know is where he its about how he didn't pop a billion pills in one night all the time and didn't go as hard as some of the lyrics which is completely common sense, I don't ever think he really popped or drank as much as boasts but as part of the song. It's not to take that he isn't/hasn't done it. The only other reason he goes as far as saying its a persona is because he's been in a long ass child custody battle with his ex over their son, she used it against him in court.. He raps a lot about his issues with her during his Purple Reign album :|

Mesoian

Yup. For every no limit records, there's 5 ninja tune collectives that go unnoticed by the masses because they don't reach top 40. It's not that hard to find rap music that avoids violent, racial and sexual stereotypes, but they aren't the flavor of the month. It's far easier to lean into rap music that emphasizes the struggle of the poor black man. It is easier to sell MIGOS than it is to sell Busdriver 7 out of 7 days of the week.

Lol...No, it certainly doesn't. Funny enough this was Miley Cyrus's reasoning for leaving the "twerking phase" behind

Which honestly translates more to, "I couldn't make money off that image anymore". If Miley could ensure a top 40 album by sticking to that mtv music awards slimy persona she propped up for so long, she'd still be doing it. If anyone has moved on from that shit, it's the public.

I agree with you. The dogpile of criticism rap gets for being no different than most other mediums definitely has some sort of bias due to race.

Rap gets knocked for its "glorification of violence" when the most popular tv shows have brains getting splattered during prime time with multi-millions of people applauding it. Rap gets criticised for being "misogynist" when the only way to get prevent yourself from seeing some big old tities in media is by closing your eyes.

Our society is inherently both misogynist and violent, yet people feel like they're morally and ethically superior by looking down on hip-hop.

I'm not saying you're a racist for criticizing rap, we can definitely have an conversation about it. What I am saying is that to deny that there isn't a bias because it's black music is intellectually dishonest.

Basically. I have no issues with talking about the problems with rap and how to combat them but I'm not gonna entertain it with fly by people who don't even want to admit part is this criticism is because it's black people making the music.

There are real elements of racism in the criticism of this genre. You compare rap now vs 20 years ago and you can see improvements as society made shifts over what is acceptable. So the issue isn't just that the genre refuses to change. But if you wanna see a reduction of power fantasies in rap maybe look at the actual environment that produces many rappers.

I don't mind the violence nearly as much as the misogyny tbqh

But see: the discussion you proposed in this post is much more interesting than "rock and country does it too"

The misogyny in rap is a reflection of what society consumes. The biggest rap artist is Drake and Drake makes music for girls. All his music is misogynistic but good luck trying to get Shad on at the club when all the women want to hear Passionfruit.

The criticism thrown at rap for this is baffling. Yeah it has a problem. All media does. Like I said, you wanna address the power fantasies in rap then address the cause. The biggest critics of rap are not advocating getting these people outta the hood.

But I am suppose to genuinely believe this isn't about black people making the music?

Rap tells a story. It can depict a lifestyle that contains violence and misogyny. That doesn't mean it endorses those things. It might, but not necessarily.

It's like asking if watching a movie that depicts racism makes you a racist. I'm sure there are movies that only a racist would be interested in watching, so in that case the answer could be yes. But watching American History X doesn't mean you're a racist, just because the movie depicts that.

Top Bottom