• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

DonMigs85

linkboy said:
I'm looking for a good brand of dry dog food to switch Harley to. He's currently on Science Diet (what he was fed at the shelter) and I want to switch him from it.

What is a good brand of dog food?
Eukanuba Lamb & Rice is decent enough and kept our Lab going till age 13. Or you can opt for really premium brands like Hundchen Flocken.
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com

Burli

Pringo
Kryten said:
We breed, race and show Alaskan Malamutes here in NZ. We currently have 9 dogs, the oldest is on the right in this pic and doesn't look like she's her 13 years old. The doofus on the right is Neo who's now 9 (pic was taken in 2004) and is the most amazing dog we've ever had when it comes to running.

neo-kali-vineyard04-1.jpg

I've never been able to race them in the snow, one day though :)

When I'm older and settled I want a dog like this - I've heard that malamutes are actually more docile than huskies in the sense that they don't run away/forever, but I'm not sure. I guess your dogs do plenty of running though!

I really love the look of malamutes, such strong, chunky dogs.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
My Golden Retriever. He freaking loves Coconuts and Watermelon. We had to stop growing watermelon because he would just munch on them when nobody was around.
DSCF2220.jpg

yuna55

Please see avatar for Shiba Inu adorableness. <3

I've never lived a day in my life without at least one dog, and these have been my favorite breed by far (although my parents shih tzus are soooo sweet and smart).

We tried every kind of organic food I could find locally except Blue (found out about it later), and everything made them sick after a few weeks. :( With the all natural ingredients, the consistency isn't 100% like shit dog food. And the vet also the natural ingredients may have been too rich for our dogs as well. We never feed them table scraps because it is guaranteed 'rhea. So after a year+ of trying to find something they liked and didn't make them sick, I switched them to Iams for sensitive stomach just to see what would happen, and they LOVE it and haven't had digestive issues from their food since. So strange, you'd think that'd be the worst thing for them, but w/e, I'm glad they aren't having diarrhea every other day.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm planning to save up money for a dog, but which should I get - a husky or a german shep?

Right now we have a lovable mutt. A bit short and not the brightest bulb tho

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ookami-kun said:
I'm planning to save up money for a dog, but which should I get - a husky or a german shep?

Right now we have a lovable mutt. A bit short and not the brightest bulb tho

Husky can be a lot of work to keep German Sheppard's are pretty amazing dogs.

Kryten

Wolf said:
Out of curiosity what is the weight of the two in that picture? They look huge, id guess the 120lb range.

Neo topped out at 44kg when he was super fit and muscled, which is about 100lb in crazy moon weight apparently. :) None of the dogs we've bred are massive, it seems to be a bit of trend here and in Australia, which is a shame.

Was actually contemplating a Malamute over a Husky at one point but my girlfriend was convinced she would be dragged down the street once it got older.

Yeah, it's a real concern. Walking belts are a great idea (so the dog is harnessed around your waist == centre of gravity), vs having your arms pulled off. I've seen some very small ladies walking Mals, so it's not unachievable.

Burli said:
When I'm older and settled I want a dog like this - I've heard that malamutes are actually more docile than huskies in the sense that they don't run away/forever, but I'm not sure. I guess your dogs do plenty of running though!

I really love the look of malamutes, such strong, chunky dogs.

I freely admit to being biased but have also had Husky's - Mals are generally not as highly strung and hyperactive, whereas Husky's are more likely to get on with other dogs and won't pull you over so easily (but they still can). Both breeds need properties with good fencing and I wouldn't rate one over the other in terms of desire to escape, they're both a bit crap for that. They also both possess a very strong prey drive - if it's small, furry and moving it's a target.

DonMigs85

Ookami-kun said:
But I heard Sheps tend to be aggressive... or is it all just a myth?
Females are usually friendlier, but my aunt has a male named Miles who's very gentle and doesn't even growl or bark at strangers. Just choose a good breeder.

acevans2

Took my dog to the vet today and they had to put a muzzle on him because he was snarling at the assistant. How do you encourage your dog to be nice to strangers?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Router said:
My Golden Retriever. He freaking loves Coconuts and Watermelon. We had to stop growing watermelon because he would just munch on them when nobody was around.
DSCF2220.jpg

:lol That's so cute. I love golden retrievers... really the best dogs.

acevans2 said:
Took my dog to the vet today and they had to put a muzzle on him because he was snarling at the assistant. How do you encourage your dog to be nice to strangers?
The most important thing is to socialize them when they're young (like through obedience classes), and make sure they have a life beyond your house and yard where they can meet and greet people regularly so it's no big thing.

30632_399314901645_685251645_4791150_924969_n.jpg

My best friend Harley sitting with my older brother back in June. He was born on or around Christmas 1999 (we got him in Jan 2000 after we put Midnight down) and he passed away back on August 10th. He used to watch TV all the time and would bark at the animals. I even remember him barking at wolf Link in Zelda. He had heart failure caused by the heartworms he had back in 2006 because he was down here in Houston with my grandpa and we were in Austin, and never thought to give him heartworm preventative. I miss my best friend everyday and I can't wait to see him again, it's just so hard.

40725_442289306645_685251645_5872736_2854730_n.jpg

This is Shadow, he was born in Feb. 2009 and we got him in April 2009. At first Harley attacked him and we didn't know why, but after that is when we found out Harley was sick in June 2009. Harley was always giving what we call bootcamp to Shadow. Barking at him in his face, chasing him around. But if you think of it, Harley was acting like a father to Shadow. Shadow misses Harley greatly. I don't think he has grasped the concept that Harley is gone, because when we mention him, he kind of looks around. We are having trouble finding the right food for him. When we got him he was on Science Diet for puppies, then my grandpa had him on Pro Plan for Active Dogs (which he was not), and then we had him on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach (and he tends to skip eating it), and today we bought him BLUE Buffalo Lite so we'll see how that goes.

Midnight was the dog I grew up with from when I was born to 2000 when we had him put to sleep. He was also a black lab. There is even a picture of him pulling on my diaper when I was a baby. He had giardia which caused kidney failure, brought on from him probably drinking contaminated lake water. I miss him too.

We lost my grandpa's dog Bandit, back in Feb 2008 to liver cancer/failure. He was 12 or 13 I think, he was a Siberian husky. He used to howl at the TV when the evening nation news would come on and would backtalk to us when we told him no. He would even toss the ball himself and chase it.

Dogs are my life and it always so hard for us all when we have to say goodbye to our best friends. I hope Shadow will stick around for a long time, although he has a more gentle personality and isn't as cuddly as my other dogs. (ex. licking my face to death)

ollin

Good to see Sibe owners on NeoGaf. This is my husky, he's 18 months old. These are old pics. Too lazy to take new ones.

9fo4us.jpg

14xlct2.jpg

Ettie

I'd have a Great Dane if they lived longer. Do German Shepards make it to the 12-15 year mark often?

EDIT: We feed our dog Wellness Core.

Chris R

Haven't had a dog for a few years now since my second dog had to be put down. I've had a smaller breed mutt for my first dog, and the last one was a German Shepard. Loved them both. Only had 3 years with the German Shepard (we got her when she was 5 or 6, was coming from an abusive household, we rescued her from the local pound) but they were great times.

Next dog will probably be a Corgi though.

ollin

Ookami-kun said:
Huskies and mals can survive tropical areas right?
They can but they are better off staying inside when it's is hot outside. Last thing you want is a dog over exerting himself and passing out of heat stroke. I know my dog hates it in the summer and would rather be in front of the fan all day then go outside.

DonMigs85

Ookami-kun said:
Huskies and mals can survive tropical areas right?
Yeah but always provide clean water and shade. It is better if they're kept indoors.
Also, tying up dogs or keeping them in cages all day is a big no-no in my opinion.

Jos

Kryten said:
We breed, race and show Alaskan Malamutes here in NZ. We currently have 9 dogs, the oldest is on the right in this pic and doesn't look like she's her 13 years old. The doofus on the right is Neo who's now 9 (pic was taken in 2004) and is the most amazing dog we've ever had when it comes to running.

neo-kali-vineyard04-1.jpg

I've never been able to race them in the snow, one day though :)

Also based in NZ, but we don't have the space for a Husky / Malamute, so we settled for a Huskador - Siberian Husky / Chocolate Lab cross.

Monte_Oriental.jpg

He's pretty awesome. No bad dominant trait from either breed.

I plan to get my first dog after college. I will be working full-time 40 hours a week, and as such won't be home during the day. I absolutely want to go running with this dog, play games, pick up the ladies, ect.

Any breeds GAF recommends?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
The_Inquisitor said:
I plan to get my first dog after college. I will be working full-time 40 hours a week, and as such won't be home during the day. I absolutely want to go running with this dog, play games, pick up the ladies, ect.

I would not recommend a dog if you're going to be working 40 hours a week and leaving the dog home all these hours.

cubanb

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Mmk. Then a cat is my route?
Don't listen to people that say that. Do you have a house with a yard? I work 40 hours a week and have a 40 min commute each way and leave the dog in the garage with a doggie door to the yard and she is just fine. It depends on the individual dog of course, but it's not impossible as some would lead you to believe. People who work can still have dogs :)

Alucrid

Banned
Router said:
DSCF2220.jpg

This picture might be the cure to end all hatred. I mean, how can you look at this without going "daaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww"? And yes, it's that cute that it deserves another entire picture quote.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
The Chef said:
Guys I need to figure out a fencing situation.

I've been looking at this invisible fence that appears to be the best one: http://www.dogfencediy.com/reviews/innotek-ultrasmart-iuc-4100/

Seems like it works well but I wanted to see if anyone here has experience with invisible fences?
I have a Lab btw.

Haven`t purchased one myself, but have friends who have one. They said it worked really well for them, after a couple of weeks they said the dogs just respected the invisible line and never went passed.

The collar just sends a stronger and stronger shock the closer they get, but nothing that I would describe as painful.

The_Inquisitor said:

There is no reason why you can't own a dog with a 40 hr work week, anyone saying otherwise hasn't thought it through.

As long as you make the effort to get up early to give a good walk before you head off there's no reason why the dog won't just sleep the 8 hrs away while your gone.

There are a ton of breeds that would meet your lifestyle, even a high energy breed as long as you make the time outside of the 40 hr work week to keep them busy and tired.

Really just boils down to your commitment level.

ollin said:
Good to see Sibe owners on NeoGaf. This is my husky, he's 18 months old. These are old pics. Too lazy to take new ones.

He looks awesome, seems a bit taller than my Husk. How much does he weigh now at 18 months?

Alucrid

Banned
Wolf said:
Haven`t purchased one myself, but have friends who have one. They said it worked really well for them, after a couple of weeks they said the dogs just respected the invisible line and never went passed.

The collar just sends a stronger and stronger shock the closer they get, but nothing that I would describe as painful.

There is no reason why you can't own a dog with a 40 hr work week, anyone saying otherwise hasn't thought it through.

As long as you make the effort to get up early to give a good walk before you head off there's no reason why the dog won't just sleep the 8 hrs away while your gone.

There are a ton of breeds that would meet your lifestyle, even a high energy breed as long as you make the time outside of the 40 hr work week to keep them busy and tired.

He looks awesome, seems a bit taller than my Husk. How much does he weigh now at 18 months?

Maybe invisible fence technology has advanced, but we had it for my dog (and maybe my dog is just dumb) but she would just run through it. :lol Got hit by a car once because of it, nothing serious, just a little bump, but after that we couldn't rely on it anymore.

Gibbo

Router said:

He looks huge! And add me to the 'Dawwwwww, I wanna Hug him!" club

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Kryten said:
They also both possess a very strong prey drive - if it's small, furry and moving it's a target.

100% Truth.

dead.jpg

Wolfs first kill, happened 3 months ago, poor chipmunk was just walking in the grass, never saw it coming. All I hear is a tiny scream all of a sudden, by the time I got Wolf to let it go it was too late. RIP little chipmunk.

Mumei

Wolf said:

Definitely.

If The_Inquisitor happens to make enough money, he might even try to see if there's a good dog daycare in the area; I worked for one a few years ago that was pretty great - basically ~20 - 40 dogs in a 2400 square foot room (and about as much space outside) with a few people to supervise. A lot of people were regulars who scheduled bringing in their dogs two or three times a week for their 10 hour day of playing, wrestling, and ball chasing, which really helps take some of the edge of, say your inexhaustible, say, jack russell terrier's insane energy levels.

Top Bottom