• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

I have 2 weimaraner's. The first is Jasper, photo taken at 15 weeks. He's now just turned 1 year old and weighs 38kg. He's definitely one of the tallest going around - I've had him in a pack of 25 weim's and he was easily the tallest.

jasper130110.jpg

The second one is Bella, she's 7-1/2 years and we rescued her and she was being neglected. She was less than 18kg when we got her, but now shes about 27kg. She's quite small for a weim.

bella240810-1.jpg

Jos

Kryten said:
Awww, too cute :) Oriental Bay, right?

Yep - Oriental Bay and Lyall Bay are his usual haunts.

Tashi0106 said:
Wow that is an awesome dog Jos

Thanks - he's a little bigger and his coat is lighter now. Also made his acting debut late last year in a US Cellular Ad (10 seconds in), though they folyed in another dog's bark!
Youtube link

Here some more recent pics:

monte1.jpg

monte2f.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ookami-kun said:
But I heard Sheps tend to be aggressive... or is it all just a myth?

They can be, no more than other dogs really. Its mostly an image thing. The more aggressive qualities that they used to be known for are pretty much gone. Females are also more docile than the males.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
SmokeMaxX said:
Would they be dangerous around Chihuahuas?

Dogs are generally pretty good around other dogs not matter the size............ that being said a Ridge Back tried to eat my Nugget :lol , there was 3 of them, 2 wanted to play the other wanted a bite out of his ass. He was to quick though and smoked them fools and ran back to his muscle.

warthog

My dog in his favourite spot... I always try to prevent him from entering my car, but whenever I let my guard down, he doesn't waste the opportunity.

CIMG0192.jpg

Philia

Hey DOG GAF... I need your help. How do I respond to this?

We're also going to buy her a shock collar to stop her from barking whenever someone walks within a 39-mile radius of the apartment. That needs to come to a halt ASAP.

They just moved in together, the dog is the gf's. Shock collars yay or nay? OR RAGE? I swear, the more I read into this, the higher my blood pressure went. Is it just me or is this so wrong?

Its a mutt and they live in NY city.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Philia said:
Hey DOG GAF... I need your help. How do I respond to this?

They just moved in together, the dog is the gf's. Shock collars yay or nay? OR RAGE? I swear, the more I read into this, the higher my blood pressure went. Is it just me or is this so wrong?

Its a mutt and they live in NY city.

Shock collars are fucking wrong same with scent collars. Its an easy way out for owners who are too lazy to train their dog.

Philia

jett said:
FI3ta.jpg

This is my doggie, he's just about the friendliest dog you'll ever meet.

OMFG.

You just had me with that photo. That looked like a gorgeous wheaten scottish terrier. I personally trained and adored a black female for 15 years. Her steadfast loyalty was... something and everyone loved her and always complimented her when she's with me. She was just the best dog I had ever had. The only dog I had ever had too. I miss her terribly.

jett

D-Member
Philia said:
OMFG.

You just had me with that photo. That looked like a gorgeous wheaten scottish terrier. I personally trained and adored a black female for 15 years. Her steadfast loyalty was... something and everyone loved her and always complimented her when she's with me. She was just the best dog I had ever had. The only dog I had ever had too. I miss her terribly.

Aw I'm sorry. My Kibu is actually a West Highland Terrier though. Terriers in general are awesome. I had a Fox Terrier, he was the best.

My Great Dane ...... Louie

This is when he was a puppy. Now his head is twice the size of mine.

2007_06240065.jpg

And here he is full grown.

P1010450.jpg

P1010472.jpg

n26510679_32872537_2859.jpg

LOL Just noticed the picture above this one.... is in the picture below. hahahhaa

P1000984.jpg

P1000992.jpg

P1000897.jpg

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
This is my Shit Zu named Bishop, he's 10 years old but acts like he's 1.

5qyxa.jpg

0ffcR.jpg

OP needs the Eulogy For A Dog:

"The best friend man has in the world may turn against him and become his worst enemy. His son, or his daughter, that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and good name may become traitors to their faith. The money a man has he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our head.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground when the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only to be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince.

When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wing, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune dries his master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege that that of accompanying him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when that last scene comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there, by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful, and true, even in death."

Senator Vest, speaking to a jury about Old Drum, shot in 1869.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Armada said:
holy shit thats awesome.

I have a border collie, best dog ever.

my gf has a minature dachshund, laziest stubbornist dog ever. but damn cute.

my parents also have a border collie. I find them to be pretty damn amazing. Amazingly smart, will do pretty much anything you train them to do, very silly personalities, will pick up on things they do that make you laugh and keep doing them.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Updated OP to include list of dogs owned by GAF.

Need some clarification from weekend_warrior, master15, joelseph as to which exact breed you guys own.

Odious Tea said:
4 month old black lab. His name is Topher.

Awesome picture! Labs rule - I have a black and a yellow, I'll post pics soon.

ETA - pics:

Violet (named after the daughter in The Incredibles)
violet-1.jpg

Cosmo
cosmo.jpg

Both were rescues. Violet at 8 weeks and Cosmo around 2 years.

joelseph

Wolf said:
Updated OP to include list of dogs owned by GAF.

Need some clarification from weekend_warrior, master15, joelseph as to which exact breed you guys own.

Miniature Dachshund - Myles Fancypants

MidnightRider said:
My Great Dane ...... Louie

This is when he was a puppy. Now his head is twice the size of mine.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/jesusshoes/Louie%20Dog/2007_06240065.jpg[IMG]

And here he is full grown.

[IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/jesusshoes/Louie%20Dog/P1010450.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/jesusshoes/Louie%20Dog/P1010472.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/jesusshoes/Louie%20Dog/n26510679_32872537_2859.jpg[IMG]

LOL Just noticed the picture above this one.... is in the picture below. hahahhaa

[IM]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/jesusshoes/Louie%20Dog/P1000984.jpg

[IM]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/jesusshoes/Louie%20Dog/P1000992.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/jesusshoes/Louie%20Dog/P1000897.jpg[/IMG]

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! That's huge? How much do you feed him a day?? :lol

joshcryer said:
This is my Shit Zu named Bishop, he's 10 years old but acts like he's 1.

http://imgur.com/5qyxa.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://imgur.com/0ffcR.jpg[IMG]

OP needs the Eulogy For A Dog:[/QUOTE]

Will get a picture later, mine are part cocker spaniel and as my mom says part retard.

They're sisters, turning 11 in 3 weeks and both act like puppies. I'm going to fall apart when they go, especially the smaller one b/c she's the one that always slept in my bed.

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone else take their dogs to doggy daycare while they go to work? I feel guilty as hell leaving my dog at home, so I take him 2-3 times a week to get exercise and socialize with other dogs for 9-10 hours. Costs me anywhere from 40-60 a week.

CrankyJay said:
Anyone else take their dogs to doggy daycare while they go to work? I feel guilty as hell leaving my dog at home, so I take him 2-3 times a week to get exercise and socialize with other dogs for 9-10 hours. Costs me anywhere from 40-60 a week.

Never heard of this :lol

CrankyJay

Banned
demosthenes said:
Never heard of this :lol

It's awesome. I take him in at 7:30 and pick him up around 5 or 5:30. He plays with dogs his size all day. He eats when he comes home and just sleeps.

In the morning when I go "Daycare?" he gets all excited.

joelseph

CrankyJay said:

My dog takes a bit to warm up to new people and dogs so unfortunately I cannot. Luckily though my live-in girlfriend works part time nights and is home for most of the morning with the little guy.

What I have done though is take my dog to obedience-boarding. A dog camp where they go for 2 weeks and learn to be better doggies! The place I go is great because this class allows you up to one hour of one-on-one with a trainer and your dog for the rest of the dog's life and free drop-ins to any of their offered classes.

If anyone in the Chicago area is looking at boarding or obedience-boarding I highly recommend Dynamic Dogs Chicago. They also offer grooming and sell local organic dog foods.

http://www.dynamicdogschicago.com/

_wsb_659x493_20100627_2.JPG

CrankyJay said:

When Barley was a puppy and we had long commutes we would take him to daycare 3-4 times per week. It was awesome for him to socialize and it also wore him the eff out. He'd get home and have about a 30 minute burst of energy and then he'd just drop and be out until the morning almost. It was hilarious.

We used Petsmart (or Petco, can never remember which has the daycare) and Pet & Mac's - I'd recommend both

Sadly for him, he hasn't gone since we moved back to Omaha and I'm only 5-10 minutes from home.

Jos

CrankyJay said:
It's awesome. I take him in at 7:30 and pick him up around 5 or 5:30. He plays with dogs his size all day. He eats when he comes home and just sleeps.

In the morning when I go "Daycare?" he gets all excited.

Mine gets picked up twice at week at 7am and dropped off again in the afternoon completely exhausted and most times, covered in mud! Although, being in NZ, going to a farm for the day is a more accurate description of 'day care' (not the other 'he's gone to the farm meaning!) :D

Great way to get your dog well socialized if you do this from a very young age.

Subitai

captive said:
holy shit thats awesome.

I have a border collie, best dog ever.

my parents also have a border collie. I find them to be pretty damn amazing. Amazingly smart, will do pretty much anything you train them to do, very silly personalities, will pick up on things they do that make you laugh and keep doing them.
He looks awesome. <3 smart dogs. So what have you trained yours to do? :D

slider

CrankyJay said:

Mine goes to a farm from about 8am - 5pm. If he didn't he'd have ruined the flat. Like your situation (and unfortunately) it means he's quite tired when I get home (as evidenced below) and isn't really up for long walks all the time. Have to make the most of the weekends!

2r76l1s.jpg

EDIT: Duracelllll hi-five!!!

Get'sMad

My parents new Golden puppy to replace the the family Golden who they had to put down last year.

2jt7yx.jpg

303jx8w.jpg

2ls9o2d.jpg

He rules.

I want to get a dog really bad, I just have no time. I'd want to get a medium to large size dog but working 8-5 trying to raise a puppy living in an apartment would be a nightmare for me. Once I get a little older and some more space........

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Jos said:
Mine gets picked up twice at week at 7am and dropped off again in the afternoon completely exhausted and most times, covered in mud! Although, being in NZ, going to a farm for the day is a more accurate description of 'day care' (not the other 'he's gone to the farm meaning!) :D

Great way to get your dog well socialized if you do this from a very young age.

Dog daycare is something that I knew existed but I guess never crossed my mind while Wolf was a pup. I probably would have done it a few days a week had I thought of it.

Btw went to catch Cesar Milan Live on Monday here in Toronto, the guy is actually very funny and kept the show entertaining.

He did some q and a's with some random people and you would be surprised how clueless some people are, one lady was confused why her dog goes apeshit and jumps up on her everytime she feeds him.

Cesar asked her to describe her routine exactly so she mentions that before she fills the bowl she screams all excitingly "YOU WANT SOME FOOD HUH YOU WANT SOME FOOD!!??":lol

There was nothing he said that I haven't already heard but the show was still worth it for the jokes and reminding you of general dog rules.

Mumei

You could still bring Wolf to daycare. Adult dogs like it just as much as puppies, really. The only thing they'd probably do is separate the little dogs from the big dogs if he's got a penchant for confusing small furry dogs with small furry rodents. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Dog Gaf <3

I will post pictures of my aunties two dogs, which I consider my own to since I visit them at least once a week.

b0f48a76.jpg

Micky, a lab and chow mix. He is insecure and is desperate for attention. That is why I love him so much.

d7c00d03.jpg

Kelsie, a lab a chow mix. She is Micky's older sister. Unlike her brother she is confident, proud, and even arrogant.

warthog

CrankyJay said:

I wish I could do that. Unfortunately my dog goes crazy when she sees another dog, and not in a good way. It really sucks because I'd love to see her play with other dogs, but that doesn't seem to be an option. She's so incredibly gentle towards people though, that makes up for it.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Everyone that lives in Ontario start getting your dog chew toys from Petsmart.

They take back any toy that your dog has chewed up and replace it with a brand new one, no questions asked!

Just found out about this the other day so we went down with just shreds of what once were toys and they gave us all new ones.

You don't even need a receipt from what the manager told us, pretty crazy policy but it works for us!

Alucrid

Banned
Wolf said:
Everyone that lives in Ontario start getting your dog chew toys from Petsmart.

They take back any toy that your dog has chewed up and replace it with a brand new one, no questions asked!

Just found out about this the other day so we went down with just shreds of what once were toys and they gave us all new ones.

You don't even need a receipt from what the manager told us, pretty crazy policy but it works for us!

How does that work? :lol

Top Bottom