• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, What is your favorite dog breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Bernese Mountain Dogs (wish they lived longer :( )

bernesemountaindog4.jpg

I really wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog when I was a kid... I didn't know about the longevity thing. WTF:
Compared to breeds of similar size as well as purebred dogs in general, the Bernese is one of the short-lived dog breeds. The average life expectancy of a Bernese Mountain Dog in the United States used to be 10–12 years, but it has decreased significantly to 6–8 years, with the median being 7.2 years. Bernese Mountain Dogs also have a median longevity of around seven years in Denmark and Canada, while in the United Kingdom the median is eight. Most other breeds of a similar size have median longevities of 10–11 years. In a 2004 UK survey, the longest-lived of 394 deceased Bernese Mountain Dogs died at the age of 15.2 years.

Why has their average lifespan dropped by four years??

droppedbear

Neo Member
Why has their average lifespan dropped by four years??
I think their short average lifespan is due to a very high incidence of cancers (especially bone cancers and some other malignant types of cancers), which could in part be due to breeding within the breed but I'm not really sure

Ultima_5

SoftCoatedWheatenTerrierDSCF0022.JPG

wheaten terrier. no doggy odor and no shedding.

grom-the-airedale-terrier-3_50413_2010-09-27_w450.jpg

airedale. one badass motherfucker.

basset_hound.jpg

basset hound. good enough for columbo, good enough for me.

most of you like some generic boring ass dogs.

Jake.

i guess my 'favourite' is the german shepherd, but i'd love a boston terrier. i had a golden (technically cream) retriever when i was a kid, i still miss him now.

Goodlife

basset_hound.jpg

basset hound. good enough for columbo, good enough for me.

most of you like some generic boring ass dogs.

Yep, I'll put my vote for a basset. Got one fast asleep, snoring like a pig, at my feet right now.

Lazy, stubborn, pretty much un-trainable (unless they want to) but such an amazing dog.
Great with kids (my 2 give him hell)

DSC_0169 by Owen Rhys Williams, on Flickr

Would love a bloodhound, mind.

Bloodhound-3.jpg

slider

I love most types but my favourites are:

Weimaraner
Dogo Argentino (they're illegal here but having seen Bombon: El Perro I checked them out)
Akita
English Bull Terrier
Most Pointers

Actually, the list could go on and on so I'll stop there.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yea, from my experience mixed mutts that you find at the animal shelter have less health problems (which is incredibly important for an animal you will bond with over the course of a decade). Chugs are super cute. I've actually started to see people with miniature husky's which I believe are Huskies and Pomerian mixes, and they are straight adorable.

tumblr_lw9iqfjFYY1qfv0zw.jpg

OMGOMG, I need one.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
People keep mentioning Aussies and Border Collies, so I'll my mix of the two to the list:

Oddly enough, he is bigger than most Aussies or Border Collies o_O

You dog looks like he eats the souls of men while they sleep

Nyx

German Shepherd

duitse_herder_laser.jpg

Amazing dogs, if I ever get the time and space for a dog I definitely will get one.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
English Bulldogs may be stubborn, drool, have skin or breathing problems and freak people out with their, uh, "unique" looks, but they are the kindest, most family friendly dogs I can think of.

I grew up with one and he was the best dog I ever had. He was intelligent, sometimes too much so because he would stubbornly refuse to do tricks or other things without being handsomely rewarded. Oddly enough, he loved bananas. He also used to love licking my little sister's face, she was just a child. People were sometimes freaked out by the giant 85lb bulldog but he was just a giant baby.

AniHawk

German Shepherd

duitse_herder_laser.jpg

Amazing dogs, if I ever get the time and space for a dog I definitely will get one.

we had one growing up. she only lived to the age of 9 (and sadly and suddenly died of a heart attack), but she was amazing. even though she had tons of health problems, including blindness, she was a pretty damn good guard dog.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
I'm a fan of the Alaskan Malamute.

Wow, I've never seen an Alaskan Malamute that color before. There's a few mentions of them in this thread so far. What are they like? How do they fair in warmer climates?

jimbor

Banned
Staffordshire Bull Terriers; here are two sweet ones particularly close to my heart:

Gus:

And my little darling, Chloe, who passed away 2 years ago:
A7F764X.jpg

Staffies are nice looking dogs but they're the must have chav status symbol over here and they're rarely trained well by the owners.

AGoodODST

Wow, I've never seen an Alaskan Malamute that color before. There's a few mentions of them in this thread so far. What are they like? How do they fair in warmer climates?

From my own experience, they are great dogs, though they have quirks you have to work with/overcome due to their being a working breed.

Regarding warmer climates, I guess it would depend how warm you are talking. I live in Scotland so I'm not really sure, but I can say we've had quite a warm summer so far and he's definitely been feeling it a little bit. I just make sure he always has fresh water and take him out for a big walk in the evening when it's much cooler and he's fine.

Antagon

Had two large Munsterlanders growing up, awesome dogs. Intelligent, gentle, playful, active. Everything I'd look for.

20071031-21.jpg

alekth

Hard to pick because living in an apartment, I'm not getting any of them.

But I like the large, wolf-like breeds. German shepherd, husky, malamute etc.

andymcc

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a shiba inu. It just seems like dogs are too much maintenance though :/

Anyone know how much they start at?

Shibas are pretty high matainence too. Super energetic puppies that require decent amount of play/excersize. While they can comfortably live in an apartment or small house, you need to make sure you can spend some time walking one every day. Mine was $900, but I knew the person who sold him to me and she cut a deal from $1200.

That being said, my favorite is the shiba inu closely followed by pugs.

pulsemyne

Staffies are nice looking dogs but they're the must have chav status symbol over here and they're rarely trained well by the owners.

It's a pity as they are awesome. My one is currently bothering me for a slice of ham (I sneak some cod liver oil tablets inside it!). Pitbulls are also great dogs (I had two fo them) and if brought up right are as gentle as you can get. My sister has two French mastiffs and they are so funny. Big lumbering beasts that spend all day playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom