• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, What is your favorite dog breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Majestic? I had a bunch of them growing up and one would routinely lie under a bird feeder, get covered in seeds and then let the birds pick the seeds off his back.

No, majestic isn't the weird that comes to mind. Doofus. Doofus I can see.

Dogs often take after their owners.

tafer

http://animaljpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/rottweiler-wd-.jpg[IMG]

Rottweilers. I grew up with one, and she was such a sweet, wonderful dog.[/QUOTE]

German shepherds for me, but Rottweilers (specially female) are amazing dogs too.
For small dogs, I'll go with pugs.

My favorite breeds are Australian Cattle Dog and Corgi. Luckily we were able to adopt a Cattle/Corgi mix!

Also, the Siborgi (Siberian Husky / Corgi):
tumblr_mfbcmyi5TP1qzkmw2o1_500.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
My favorite breeds are Australian Cattle Dog and Corgi. Luckily we were able to adopt a Cattle/Corgi mix!

Also, the Siborgi (Siberian Husky / Corgi):

Oh my God. I had no idea that even existed. Are they hard to come by?

Working English Springer Spaniels.

Have two myself and actively work them, would find it hard to have more fun with another breed of working dog.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I want a Scottie so bad...

For size said:

My wife wants a Shih Maltese (or similar mix)

images

They're both cute, but she thinks Scotties are ugly with their beards. I refuse to give up.

E: This thread makes me miss the family Collie. He died two years ago. Best fricken dog ever. :(

38995_1529682090466_6438430_n.jpg

Rhodesian ridgebacks

rhodesianridgebacksf1.jpg

And huskies

I'd probably go with a ridgeback in reality though.

I've heard huskies - even dispite their beauty and loyalty - are very high mainetenance. I'd still love to have one though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Irish Wolfhounds are beautiful, probably going to get one as my next dog.

I've had 2 and one wolfhound/mastiff mix. They are amazing, but die too early : /

Yea, from my experience mixed mutts that you find at the animal shelter have less health problems (which is incredibly important for an animal you will bond with over the course of a decade). Chugs are super cute. I've actually started to see people with miniature husky's which I believe are Huskies and Pomerian mixes, and they are straight adorable.

tumblr_lw9iqfjFYY1qfv0zw.jpg

two_husky_puppies.jpg

OH MY GOD

IT'S PERFECT

Cornbread78

I'm sorry GAF, but I bought a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for my wife and kids and the fall and it was the best purchase, by far, that I have ever made for anyone or anything in the house. Well worth the high price tag for an amazing animal:

CavalierKingCharlesSpanielPuppyDogBreederMNSage.jpg

Cavalier%20King%20Charles%20Spaniel%209J001D-06.JPG

She is the most adorable loving animal I'm every had or been associated with, she only barks when she is scared, or if she is excited, and everyone loves her....

Labrador Retriever (Black). I have had 3 in my life time.

Midnight 1990-2000
Harley 2000-2010
Shadow 2009-Present

Also have another dog named Maya 2011-Present (She is claimed to be Lab and Husky mix)

I miss my dogs that have gone on and wish they were still here, they are truly my best friends. :)

I moved out last year so my dogs Shadow & Maya stay with my family...I need to give them more attention. They hop all over me when I come home, it's a good thing I live only a few miles from my family so I can see my babies all the time. Yes I kiss them all the time XD

dQwippU.jpg

You dog looks like he eats the souls of men while they sleep

He is quite intimidating isn't he? Especially when he does the 'grin' that Aussies are famous for in greeting; basically, bearing his front teeth when he's happy :p

Just how fucking psycho/smart is he?

It's kinda scary how smart he is. Sometimes I think he's honestly trying to decipher our language. He will watch TV and pay attention to conversations. Only 7 months old, and he already knows all the commands.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm sorry GAF, but I bought a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for my wife and kids and the fall and it was the best purchase, by far, that I have ever made for anyone or anything in the house. Well worth the high price tag for an amazing animal:

She is the most adorable loving animal I'm every had or been associated with, she only barks when she is scared, or if she is excited, and everyone loves her....

My wife is also wanting one of these. Was she easy to house break?

Lack of jack Russell mentions sickens me
I was totally going to post that this morning but got busy at work.

I may be a little biased as I own one, but I did a fair bit of research on breeds beforehand. With a JRT, I just like their smaller size while still being awesome for their athletic ability.

I also wanted a dog that would encourage me to get off my ass and you get that in spades with Jacks seeing as they are always wanting/needing exercise and wanting to go.

steveovig

leeland_8shelties_2001.jpg

I'm too lazy to get a picture but I love Shetland Sheepdogs. They're very smart and obedient but can be a little loud at times. They're very loyal and loving too. Also, by association, I like Collies but have never owned one yet. I had one Sheltie growing and I have one now and I love him to death.

EDIT:Stopped being lazy.

Tobinishi

+1 for Shibas.

Love that breed, but I heard it's not the best for a first-time dog owner. Can anyone with a Shiba confirm that?

Fruitster

Great Dane's and Labrador's. Both awesome breeds. Labs are the friendliest dogs ever, and Great Dane's are king of hounds. Look up Giant George.

Nyx

we had one growing up. she only lived to the age of 9 (and sadly and suddenly died of a heart attack), but she was amazing. even though she had tons of health problems, including blindness, she was a pretty damn good guard dog.

They are indeed, they protect every family member.

We had one as well when I was growing up and I'll never forget walking it by myself, any other dog in the neighbourhood was scared of him and he damn well knew. (walking all tall and such) This made me feel like a boss too.

The downside of it was that by the end of his lifetime he could barely walk and ate his own shit, which was extra sad knowing he was ''the king of the neighbourhood'' before.

Oppo

Apology not accepted.

(I find it weird when people apologize as an opener for "sorry about your opinion" ;)

Glad you got such a calm dog. All the CKC spaniels I've ever seen were basically the quintessential yappie housedog. I do enjoy how they look sort of like miniature lions though.

How much, can I ask? north of $1500?

Cornbread78

My wife is also wanting one of these. Was she easy to house break?

yeah, they are really smart dogs and pick up on stuff easy. We crate trained ours and it worked like a charm.

Apology not accepted.

(I find it weird when people apologize as an opener for "sorry about your opinion" ;)

Glad you got such a calm dog. All the CKC spaniels I've ever seen were basically the quintessential yappie housedog. I do enjoy how they look sort of like miniature lions though.

How much, can I ask? north of $1500?

LOL, naw, she's not yappie at all, only when she is playing or she is scared. She also barks when I hit the car alarm button when I get home and runs to the door to wait for me to come in... so friggen cute. Lions? Yeah, they will definately lick you to death with kisses, lol. She's got a great temperment. (they are rated about the highest possible for that)

As for price? There is a huge rage in price out there, and there is no need to pay the $2,000+ you often see from soem pretentious breeders. I had mine shipped from a breeder in South Carolina for about $1,000 with shipping, which was really cheap. She did have Kennel Cough when I got her, which is probably why she was so cheap, she's all good now though.

dacuk

I am into Arctic dogs, so Sibes, Malamutes and Samoyeds are my favorites.

This is my first one, Duncan:

jIVGrDH.jpg

Wazzy

Banned
At work so I'm unable to post a picture but my dream breed is a Nova Scotia Duck Toller Retriever. Beautiful and very intelligent.

I also love Huskie's and Border collies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom