• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

SmokeMaxX

You guys made me want to share pictures of my baby :)

When we first got her:
243277_587905965144_1756418599_o.jpg

A few days ago:

Az987

all good things
My dog will be 13 in December and I don't think he has all that much longer. He has slowed down considerably in the past year and is drinking and sleeping a lot more lately. He still doesn't realize hes old though and will chase after our cat at full speed and come back limping half the time.

I'm going to be really sad when he passes; I've had him since I was 13 so basically half my life.

yJi31.jpg

Actually, no he's 13 now. I confused when I get him with when he was born.

Need some help with my new puppy Loki. He is about 7 weeks in the picture (now about 10 weeks). I just noticed the other day he had some small ricelike worms in his feces. From research, sounds like either tape or hook worms.

With such a small puppy I'm not sure what kind of worm medicine to get him. Has anyone had any good experience they can share de-worming their dog and tips for what I should do?

Loki2.jpg

Cheska

Need some help with my new puppy Loki. He is about 7 weeks in the picture (now about 10 weeks). I just noticed the other day he had some small ricelike worms in his feces. From research, sounds like either tape or hook worms.

With such a small puppy I'm not sure what kind of worm medicine to get him. Has anyone had any good experience they can share de-worming their dog and tips for what I should do?

Yeah, it's tapeworms. He got them from ingesting a flea, which typically means he still has them on him. You can certainly try an over the counter dewormer but they don't usually work as well. Your best bet is taking him to the vet to dewormed (depending on the burden he may need a shot versus oral meds) and get his shots. Also, bring a fecal sample with you so they can do a test to make sure he doesn't have any other parasites (many puppies will have things like roundworms, coccidia, giardia) which need to be treated in a different manner.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I never had a "big" dog before (or a dog that will get "big"), since I've only owned a Beagle/Basset and a Beagle/Terrier, so seeing a pure Siberian Husky grow is a remarkable thing to me.

August 25th to October 16.

Oh, and I ended up with the name Sophia, but mostly it is Sophie now.

07-20-07(4 weeks old)
apollo7-20-07.jpg

08-07-07
apollo28-7-07.jpg

08-25-07
apollo8-25-07.jpg

12-15-07
apollo412-15-07.126946.jpg

09-22-08
apollo409-22-08.5079720.jpg

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Loki2.jpg

You need to go to a vet. Get the proper medication and make sure he is in general good health otherwise. Better safe than sorry. Cute pup though.

My puppy cairn terrier has calmed down a bit since we got him but he goes absolutely nuts for cars. He didn't care about them the first 2 months we had him but the last 2 months he needs to go after them and bark at them. I don't know how to get that to stop. Just seeing if anyone else suffers through this.

Friggz

DSC00282.jpg

I have 2 pugs that i broke into a house to rescue. The one on the right is lily ninja kicking her brother gambit.

Probably the best picture ive ever taken. lol

Delio

Just wanna say i really miss having a dog. I really want a Beagle but im crashing with grandparents right now and my grandpa is very negative to having dogs in the house.

Ettie

Got the new yorkie pup spayed this morning. I hate it when they have to go under. Was near the top of the vomit-meter all morning. All's well but they have to keep her overnight. satellite dish pics tomorrow!

slider

Brit Gaf, anyone catching The Secret Life of Dogs on ITV? Martin Clunes is doing the voiceover and I have to say it's pretty easy viewing. Nowhere near as facile as I was expecting it to be (that shit with Paul O'Grady from a while back really lowered my expectations).

Shame I've got a really early start. Have to miss the end of it!

Teggy

My dog only has one ball. What should I do?

How old is it? My puppy had one to start but the other eventually descended (he's nearing 6 mos.) If it doesn't drop, it will unfortunately be a lot more expensive to get him neutered. You can always wait a while as it can still drop after a year or so.

Subtle

How old is it? My puppy had one to start but the other eventually descended (he's nearing 6 mos.) If it doesn't drop, it will unfortunately be a lot more expensive to get him neutered. You can always wait a while as it can still drop after a year or so.

He's a year and a half old.

Cheska

My dog only has one ball. What should I do?

If he's cryptorchid you should really get him neutered. The cost is much more if the testicle is stuck in the abdomen, but if you wait you could eventually be dealing with having it develop into a tumor :(

Majmun

I've moved into a bigger house and want to get a dog now.

I'm very interested in the Belgian Shepherd, Malinois. I'm probably going to get a pup tomorrow.

Can you guys give me any advice regarding this dog? The type of food that it likes, toys etc. I've read that it's a very active dog. But that won't be an issue considering I'm very active too. I jog a lot and I have a huge garden where the dog can run and play.

I'm quite nervous and don't know what to expect. Haven't had a dog in years. But I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time with her.

My puppy got into my dirty laundry earlier. I was cooking and wondered where he was, because things were too quiet.

So I go to my room and he's in my dirty clothes, and before I could get mad he did something cute. He was inside of a sweater of mine, and when I called his name, he poked his head out the head hole of the sweater... It was too cute it be upset
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

So I let him play with a few socks. I have far too many anyway.

Been debating on getting a dog since I left mine with my parents when I moved out after college. Really like Bernese, but the large amount of shedding and relatively short lifespan kind of bums me on them.

Been looking at these lately though, entlebuchers. Theyre related to the burnese, but have short coats and live longer as well. Anyone have any experience with them?

Entlebucher%20Mountain%20Dog.jpg

Question for Dog-Gaf,

Do any of you have your dogs on a raw diet? I have 4 ratchi's who are 4 1/2 years old and have been feeding them commercial food since they were pups, but recently while looking into getting their teeth cleaned at the vet I came across people who suggested that you should switch to a raw meat/bone diet, which as it happens keeps their teeth and gums in better shape.

One of them has bad (cat) breath, which is why I think he needs to go and get his teeth and gums cleaned (he also yipes occasionally while eating kibble), but afterwards I'm debating about trying out a raw feeding program that I would monitor for awhile to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I just wanted to see if anyone currently does this, has done this, or just opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

DonMigs85

There can be a risk of food-borne illness. Lightly-cooked meat and vegetables and a doggie vitamin supplement might be safer.

DrBo42

Anyone in the Los Angeles area able to take in this guy?
pic.asp

Info here.

He's going to be put down tomorrow if no one nabs him. Name is Diesel. I've seen people post dedicated threads about similar things but I'm not sure the proper etiquette so I'm bumping this instead.

DrSlek

Aw, poor guy. Our little one just got snipped a few weeks ago and he did great, he didn't even need to wear the cone. They're just amazingly resilient.

He initially didn't need to wear one, until he discovered he had a couple of wounds the day after he had the snip. We got some wound guard stuff that's meant to deter dogs from licking with a bitter taste.

Turns out he's part of the 2% of canines that either don't care or outright enjoy the stuff. So making him a buckethead was the last resort. He seemed to enjoy it though. We'd take it off so he could easily eat his dinner, and he was all too willing to have it put back on again.

Raguel

I need neogaf's help!!!

My girlfriend and I just got a dog and we're picking it up tonight. A dachshund and yorkie mix (dorkie). It's eight weeks old. Male. I will post pics later cause its an adorable runt.

However, we are first time dog owners. She is very excited about it and we both want to raise it properly. So we are getting as much advice as possible.

My biggest concern is house breaking the puppy. We both work full time, 8 to 10 hrs a day. Same shift 4 out of the 5 days. 8 til 5/6pm. Whats the best way to house break the puppy? We're gonna spend as much time with it as possible. And she works only a minute away from her apartment so she can go home on her lunch time but it's only for 30 minutes. I'm reading everything and what I find is that the most common way is crate training the puppy and using a baby gate with puppy pads. But is that the best way? Any tips? We would really appreciate it.

In fact, any tips for a first time owner would be awesome.

DrSlek

Yeah, crate training is the best way to go. Keep in mind that until around the age of 6 months, puppies have no control over the bladder and only very minor control over their bowels. They can't hold it in. Once your puppy has gone 6 weeks without an accident, it's considered house broken.

Winston is 6 months old now, and is almost there. He went 3 weeks without an accident inside, but then got an upset stomach and couldn't hold it in. Then he went another 2 without an accident. So he still craps or pisses inside, but it's far, far less often than it was a couple of months ago. Another 2 months and he'll be good.

Raguel

Yeah, crate training is the best way to go. Keep in mind that until around the age of 6 months, puppies have no control over the bladder and only very minor control over their bowels. They can't hold it in. Once your puppy has gone 6 weeks without an accident, it's considered house broken.

Winston is 6 months old now, and is almost there. He went 3 weeks without an accident inside, but then got an upset stomach and couldn't hold it in. Then he went another 2 without an accident. So he still craps or pisses inside, but it's far, far less often than it was a couple of months ago. Another 2 months and he'll be good.

Thanks DrSlek. Yeah, having a puppy is exhausting. We're calling him Delta and he has been going number 2 outside fine but its the urinating inside that we're still working on. The sporadic weather doesn't help. But he's obedient and very friendly. Doesn't bark much.

Hey Dog Gaf --

Looking at having to get luxating patella surgery for Duncan, the ~22 month old Boston terrier. I've noticed a skip in his step for a few months but more recently found a more noticeable and occassional limp... Now he's a pretty common limp, especially when he goes out after sleeping or when he comes home from a longer walk. Of course, he doesn't let it slow him down which is part of the problem... goes outside and tears ass around the yard, chasing anything that moves, and then comes in a little sore later.

So, unfortunately, he'll probably need corrective surgery. It's a common surgery for Boston Terriers, but I think I'm looking at $1 - $2000 all said and done... maybe more. Anybody have any experience with this?

Oh I'm also thinking of picking up some glucosamine treats... Has anybody had success with those for helping to improve weak joints?

mkenyon

Banned
I was able to grab these while doing some photos on my PC build, so I finally had the camera handy. She stalks it for a solid 1-3 mins before getting to this point. She generally does the Border Collie crawl before attacking, but fun anyway.

I had it on continuous shooting, so theoretically, the time difference between pic 2 and 3 is the same as pic 3 and 4. She has insane acceleration.

LogicStep

I'm gonna settle in here and share my puppy with you all :3 Her name is Shelby and she's a Border Collie.

This is her, this pic was sent to me by the breeder.
DSCN0112.JPG

Here she's sleeping with her sister Elise/Ellie who my friend also bought and he lives a few houses down the road so they will see each other a lot.
20130608_163822.jpg

20130610_173848.jpg

Sleeping
20130610_225406.jpg

She turned 8 weeks old this past Sunday which is when I got her. I've been trying to teach her a few things with a clicker and treats but it seems like the little she has picked up is only used during a training session and then she goes back to being a dog and doesn't respond to the things taught. I guess it takes time? I've taught her to not go for my hand to get the treat which she now understands. She gives me eye contact when I call her name. I was working on sitting and down, she's kinda getting it but I only started that. And housebreaking is proving difficult though she's showing progress. Inside the house sometimes she would use her potty pads and get praised to high heaven for it but she would still go in undesirable places. What I started doing yesterday was that I would wake up a little earlier than usual and take her to the back yard to go and she's been doing it since she holds it in all night. Today I did the same and then later as she was inside she went outside on her own and went again. :) But I doubt she has that down already.

Another thing is that I've seen people say that you need a low distraction area to train them but I don't really have a place like that in my house. Every room has many things that attract her attention. Maybe she's too young still? I should just keep doing it little by little and she will eventually get it?

Just scheduled a TPLO procedure (torn ACL) for my nearly 7 year old lab-shepherd. Fucking crazy expensive, but the boy has been 3-legging it for long enough and things aren't getting better so it's time to bite the bullet.

Anyone here had this done with their dog? Thoughts/experiences?

zazrx - absolutely adorable looking puppy you got there :)

Top Bottom