• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump, Jr. Asked to Testify before Senate Committee

knicks

Stuff like that is important for the process as well.
I realize you're probably young, but this is part of the long haul.

This guy has done so much absurd shit and he is still somehow President. He's been caught several times for unethical behavior and actions, yet he is still President.

Don't really have hope here. They will train the moron son to say things that won't lead to anything.

5taquitos

This guy has done so much absurd shit and he is still somehow President. He's been caught several times for unethical behavior and actions, yet he is still President.

Don't really have hope here. They will train the moron son to say things that won't lead to anything.
The FBI can't just walk into the White House today and slap cuffs on Trump. These things take time, and really they are moving very quickly.

G-Bus

Banned
I'm still amazed at the amount of controversy surrounding Trump and yet nothing solid has happened to him yet.

Listen to CBC radio a lot. Pretty much the only station I have on in my car and it seems like a couple times a week there's another controversy or something to talk about regarding Trump. Always negative.

I love the idea of this scumbag under oath.

He seems way to too stupid to get through this unscathed.

Not sure why being under oath is such a big deal? It's still pretty easy to lie and play dumb.

bionic77

I'm still amazed at the amount of controversy surrounding Trump and yet nothing solid has happened to him yet.

Listen to CBC radio a lot. Pretty much the only station I have on in my car and it seems like a couple times a week there's another controversy or something to talk about regarding Trump. Always negative.

Not sure why being under oath is such a big deal? It's still pretty easy to lie and play dumb.
It is a crime to lie under oath.

It would not be a crime for him to say he did not remember or play dumb, but that is not going to play well at all.

I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
1vJCr9r.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They need to access his phone records on June 7th to see how quick he called his dad after th meeting.

Judging by the timestamps on Trump's Twitter account I'd say immediately.
I'd also say it's a pretty safe assumption that the focus of the meeting was offering hacked e-mails.

It's amazing watching that dossier slowly be verified, piece by piece.

Comey is a professional who knows when to keep his mouth shut. Junior is a buffoon who tweets out incriminating evidence.

Even more amazing is that the more it's verified the more conservative media dismisses it.

Starviper

See what sucks about these hearings is the guy can say he doesn't know or doesn't remember anything. Can they file charges if he's willfully withholding information?

Can't wait to hear some strong line of questioning from Ds broken up into a few bathroom breaks while Rs ask him how his day was and if he has any info on Hillary's emails.

It's a big deal because sure he can lie under oat, but if he gets caught? That's the big deal. That's super illegal. And like, look at how this already played out just naturally:

- Did you have this meeting?
DTJ: No I did not

-Ok but here's proof of the meeting
DTJ: Ok I had the meeting but it wasn't about anything bad

-Ok but here's proof that the meeting was about something bad
DTJ: Oh well I uh *releases all the emails himself*

So imagine that happening but he's under oath. If he had been under oath and said there was no meeting, and then they countered with "well here's proof there was" and he changed his story and they countered AGAIN and he lied AGAIN he'd conceivably leave in handcuffs (or however it works in reality when everyone does their job properly and puts away people who lie under oath)

This could be good, but I'm not getting my hopes. I do hope he slips a question or two, and reveals some juicy information, that would be nice.

This has all the potential to be amazing, but it's not gonna be.

Yeah, I expect a lot of "I don't recall", like the Sessions trial.

antonz

The I forgets will be unreal. I mean it was released today that Kushner in his updated Federal Disclosure form it went from 3 contacts with foreign individuals to over 100 contacts. SO last time he filled it out he somehow forgot 97+ contacts

The I forgets will be unreal. I mean it was released today that Kushner in his updated Federal Disclosure form it went from 3 contacts with foreign individuals to over 100 contacts. SO last time he filled it out he somehow forgot 97+ contacts

This shit is infuriating ughhhhh

Let's say that Trump Jr. commits perjury at this hearing. Trump Sr. then pardons him. Now what? And if Mueller later finds more crimes by Trump Jr., can the lying/perjury still be in the final investigation, or is that cancelled out because of the pardon? Can a president pardon the same person more than once to absolve separate charges?

KingV

Let's say that Trump Jr. commits perjury at this hearing. Trump Sr. then pardons him. Now what? And if Mueller later finds more crimes by Trump Jr., can the lying/perjury still be in the final investigation, or is that cancelled out because of the pardon? Can a president pardon the same person more than once to absolve separate charges?

My understanding is that you can't be pardoned until you are actually charged with something. And typically being pardoned is also an admittance that you have done something illegal.

It would be devastating politically for Trump to pardon his kid, because he will effectively have to admit to either the cover up or the collusion to do so. Further it will actively set up a checks and balances dispute between the President and a Republican Senate. I doubt that the Senste will take that usurpation of their power lying down. Even many Republican Senators will admit that that is improper.

At any rate, it's unlikely that the FBI will bring charges of JUST perjury unless that's truly all there is. By all accounts Mueller is smart, and will set up a series of charges against all involved that effectively makes them admit to a criminal conspiracy with a foreign government in order to be pardoned.

CHC

When it comes time for prosecution you should rest assured that all the "I don't recalls" in the world can't save these guys.

I recently got to see some of the inner workings of a DOJ prosecution that a relative of mine is working on and at some point it really is about providing compelling circumstances for guilt rather than actual hard evidence. The evidence exists to prove circumstances - where people were when, where money went, who talked to who, etc.

A good prosecutor will establish circumstances that make it virtually impossible for the judge and jury to believe that you "can't recall"' something. If you emailed someone X amount of times about a meeting and then had a follow up meeting later, there's no one in the world who will believe you can't fucking remember what happened there.

Top Bottom