• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump, Jr. Asked to Testify before Senate Committee

Brandson

Q: "Did the President know about your meeting before it took place, and did you share what you received with him afterwards?"

A: "I can't answer in case the President doesn't want me to."

Q: "But you have no legal basis for refusing to answer."

A: "Yes, but I can't answer anyway."

Aselith

It is when they are the judge and jury.

The judge and jury were always public pressure. The more that comes out that makes Trump look worse, the stronger public pressure will be. If the repubs feel their seats are at stake, they will do something.

If not, they will never do anything and never would have regardless of what happened.

The judge and jury were always public pressure. The more that comes out that makes Trump look worse, the stronger public pressure will be. If the repubs feel their seats are at stake, they will do something.

If not, they will never do anything and never would have regardless of what happened.

I am pessimistic that today's Republicans will ever feel pressured to do anything. Most in the House are in safe seats thanks to gerrymandering. They face a bigger risk of losing a primary than they do a general election, so as long as Republican voters support Trump, particularly the kind of voter that will vote in a primary, so will they.

And when people lie under oath, and it can be proven that they lied under oath, they are charged with perjury, a criminal felony.

Testifying under oath is not pointless at all. The point is to keep people honest under the threat of perjury.

Well it goes out the window when they don't recall.

I want to hear his answer about the phone call referenced in the emails.

Really does look like the face to face meeting was a follow-up.

And for those not paying close attention to this story, the Alagarovs (Emin the pop star and his billionaire father Aras) are mentioned in the Steele Dossier, along with the "very useful" Hillary oppo data provided by the Russians, specifically provided to the Trump campaign by a close associate who managed Trump's recent trips to Moscow.

In fact Alagarov is supposed to have the details about the pee tape.

RflQ1ZJ.png

oBW1jI5.png

I hope some sweet, sweet oppo drops right before this nincompoop goes to testify.

Would probably be better afterwards, to contradict his lies.

Well it goes out the window when they don't recall.

True, he will be well coached to avoid giving concrete answers, but the Senators will also be pushing hard for those answers. If he doesn't answer, they'll be further justified to subpoena Trump Corporation documents.

I want to hear his answer about the phone call alluded to in the emails.

I want to know when Russia started supporting Trump and what Junior knew about that and when he knew it. It's made as assertion in those emails that he just goes along, clearly indicating that Russia had been supporting Trump for some time. I think it will be hard for him to say he "cannot recall" whether he knew Russia was supporting Trump before June 3, 2016.

Nerazar

Q: "Did the President know about your meeting before it took place, and did you share what you received with him afterwards?"

A: "I can't answer in case the President doesn't want me to."

Q: "But you have no legal basis for refusing to answer."

A: "Yes, but I can't answer anyway."

A: "Stop pushing me, it makes me nervous."

theWB27

I am pessimistic that today's Republicans will ever feel pressured to do anything. Most in the House are in safe seats thanks to gerrymandering. They face a bigger risk of losing a primary than they do a general election, so as long as Republican voters support Trump, particularly the kind of voter that will vote in a primary, so will they.

Why do you follow this so closely? Considering your level of pessimism.

I want to know when Russia started supporting Trump and what Junior knew about that and when he knew it. It's made as assertion in those emails that he just goes along, clearly indicating that Russia had been supporting Trump for some time. I think it will be hard for him to say he "cannot recall" whether he knew Russia was supporting Trump before June 3, 2016.
The latest news breaking yesterday was that there are US intel intercepts of Kremlin associated Russians discussing Trump (a lot) as early as 2015, and then European intel shared with the US that the Kremlin was pushing a lot of money into Trump's campaign in early 2016, which is when our intel people really started to notice something was going on.

Wall Street Journal: Russian Officials Overheard Discussing Trump Associates Before Campaign Began

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

I wouldn't be surprised if they think they are being clever by saying nothing happened in that meeting. I.E. the main shit was during other meetings/phone calls.

Why do you follow this so closely? Considering your level of pessimism.

I still want to be informed. And I want to be able, while believing that elected Republicans will never do anything, to help persuade Republican voters in my path to whatever degree is possible, to expose the Republican lie. But I don't expect much to come of it because the odds are stacked against it. You might have noticed that Republican voters don't quite see reality the same way normal people do. Brainwashing is a heck of a drug.

November 6, 2018 is the date we can totally undermine Trump's policy goals. November 3, 2020 is the date we can vote this clown out of office. Those are the most realistic goals that we can achieve. If anything politically happens to Trump other than that, it would be a pleasant surprise.

The latest news breaking yesterday was that there are US intel intercepts of Kremlin associated Russians discussing Trump (a lot) as early as 2015, and then European intel shared with the US that the Kremlin was pushing a lot of money into Trump's campaign in early 2016, which is when our intel people really started to notice something was going on.

Wall Street Journal: Russian Officials Overheard Discussing Trump Associates Before Campaign Began

Right. And the Steele dossier said Russia had been cultivating Trump for about 5 years. How early did Trump know about this and what kind of assistance did they give him? These are the kinds of questions that can likely be verified through investigation later, and if Junior is involved in any way, these facts could lead to perjury charges if he's not truthful with his answers.

Junior could be a huge key to this whole thing, because his testimony may lead to other evidence if he's worried about perjury.

android

Theoretical Magician
"It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!"

-Fredo Trump

So basically there aren't any Republican Party Members who want to put Trump out of office?

It's incredibly damaging to the Republican party if they have to impeach their own president. Until Trump's bullshit and scandals become MORE damaging to the party than impeaching him, it won't be an option to them. They risk turning off his hardcore base which they need to turn elections in their favor.

android

Theoretical Magician
It's incredibly damaging to the Republican party if they have to impeach their own president. Until Trump's bullshit and scandals become MORE damaging to the party than impeaching him, it won't be an option to them. They risk turning off his hardcore base which they need to turn elections in their favor.

but... its not like those nutbars will vote for a Democrat....they just won't vote or they'll vote Republican regardless. Is their party being the absolute laugh stock less important then winning the White House in 2020? (and a Democrat likely being a lame duck anyways if they did win in 20)

theWB27

I still want to be informed. And I want to be able, while believing that elected Republicans will never do anything, to help persuade Republican voters in my path to whatever degree is possible, to expose the Republican lie. But I don't expect much to come of it because the odds are stacked against it. You might have noticed that Republican voters don't quite see reality the same way normal people do. Brainwashing is a heck of a drug.

November 6, 2018 is the date we can totally undermine Trump's policy goals. November 3, 2020 is the date we can vote this clown out of office. Those are the most realistic goals that we can achieve. If anything politically happens to Trump other than that, it would be a pleasant surprise.

If only voting was a holiday we get off work.

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall

"Who don't you recall Sir"?

tumblr_inline_o55vvtlLel1r918r0_500.gif

So basically there aren't any Republican Party Members who want to put Trump out of office?

A few do but they don't matter. Most republicans will stick with Trump to the very end and the GOP controls Congress unlike previous situations. Therefore, unless something unexpected happens one day Trump is here to stay until that day comes.

Loxley

I expect a lot of "I don't recall" and "I can't answer in case the president wants to invoke executive privilege."

Almost certainly yes. Even with compelling evidence, Republicans and GOP will stand by their own unless their constituents want him out. The GOP are also almost certainly going to hold a majority in the senate even after mid-terms.

Yeah, I think I remember best case scenario for Democrats in the Senate is picking up 2 seats, based on who's up in 2018. 2016 was the year for Dems to reclaim the Senate.

He need some hard evidence. I wanna see emails, phone calls, money transactions and browser history. He's not going to "recall" and will lie is ass off.

Junior must have chugged the Kool-Aid so hard to the point that he is convince that his dirt on Hilary is about incriminating Hillary not even realizing what a dumb ass he is about colluding with Russia

I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall

Seriously. I don't know what anyone else is expecting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Seriously. I don't know what anyone else is expecting.
If he wants to play that game, let him. It certainly won't generate positive media coverage for him and everyone else involved.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
lmao dude will shit in his pants. He probably thinks it will be like Hannity asking questions.

jstripes

Banned

And for those not paying close attention to this story, the Alagarovs (Emin the pop star and his billionaire father Aras) are mentioned in the Steele Dossier, along with the "very useful" Hillary oppo data provided by the Russians, specifically provided to the Trump campaign by a close associate who managed Trump's recent trips to Moscow.

In fact Alagarov is supposed to have the details about the pee tape.

RflQ1ZJ.png

oBW1jI5.png
It's amazing watching that dossier slowly be verified, piece by piece.

Nothing came out Comey, what makes you think this will be any different.
Comey is a professional who knows when to keep his mouth shut. Junior is a buffoon who tweets out incriminating evidence.

He can plead the fifth if he wants.

He can also just be tried for crimes based on standing evidence regardless of his choice to refuse to testify on grounds of self-incrimination. He's not the President, or a Senator, or any-fucking-thing at all. No one has to run an impeachment through Congress, they can just slap a subpoena on his desk and drag him off in irons.

So, I don't know, maybe he might want to step up to the plate and try to weasel out of things in a not-completely-criminal proceeding while he has the chance.

Top Bottom