• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump Jr. and f Paul Manafort to testify before Senate on July 26

nicanica

Democrat: What on Earth could you have possibly discussed with Russians that was so dire, you failed to mentioned it?

Jr.: I don't recall.

Republican: What did you have for breakfast?

Van Jones: He became the Son of the President that day.

0382_s7tr.gif

Eh, I'm not happy about this development, because while Trump Jr and Manafort will "I don't recall" it up whenever a Democrat asks a question, you can bet your ass that 99% of the questions that Republicans ask will be about the supposed "Hillary Clinton accepting Russian money" angle.

Unless Jr has a MAJOR slip up (which is entirely possible, since him posting the emails was already a major fuck up) this will go about as well as the Sessions questioning, where nothing substantial is learned and he looks guilty as fuck

Good enough

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Eh, I'm not happy about this development, because while Trump Jr and Manafort will "I don't recall" it up whenever a Democrat asks a question, you can bet your ass that 99% of the questions that Republicans ask will be about the supposed "Hillary Clinton accepting Russian money" angle.

Unless Jr has a MAJOR slip up (which is entirely possible, since him posting the emails was already a major fuck up) this will go about as well as the Sessions questioning, where nothing substantial is learned and he looks guilty as fuck
I dunno, this is what people said would happen with Comey's testimony. No one cares about Clinton, so any questions about her are largely ignored by the media.

Locke562

Kushner in a closed session? Why is the public not allowed to hear his voice? Does he only speak parseltongue? Can you prove to me he isn't the heir of Salazar Slytherin?

btrboyev

Moment of his means anything when every single republican on the committee public makes excuses and defenses for the witnesses.

Jackpot

Banned

Just the way he speaks raises instant red flags about his mental health:

“Jeff Sessions takes the job, gets into the job, recuses himself, which frankly I think is very unfair to the president,” he added.

Anyone talking him for just a few minutes should instantly be able to peg that his view of reality is not normal.

Two things:

1. If you think it's fake news, why would you dignify it with an interview? (I know he only uses the "fake news" line for his moronic supporters, but you'd think they could make this small leap of logic.)

2. Jefferson Beauregard better hurry and try to make his KKK dreams come true, because he may not last much longer.

norm9

There better be some good questions. No softballs. Even republican members have a stake in asking a good sound bite question that goes with the growing tide.

So Don Jr. was in touch with Jill Stein who also has ties to Russia herself? What kind of circle is this?
They don't know if Don Jr was in touch or not but they want any communications if they were. The Steele dossier mentions Stein as another candidate being propped up by Putin. Basically the entire list (outside of the people we just learned about re: Don Jr's meeting) are people who were mentioned in the dossier. I don't know if that means the committee has reason to believe the dossier has good information or if they're just being thorough and covering all their bases - even a debunking of the dossier would be important.

Pedrito

Interesting to see Jill Stein's name pop up.
Has there ever been any explaination as to why she was sitting at the VIP table with Flynn and Putin at that RT dinner?

Lowmelody

Interesting to see Jill Stein's name pop up.
Has there ever been any explaination as to why she was sitting at the VIP table with Flynn and Putin at that RT dinner?

She was Putin's Nader bomb. A stooge to soak up idealistic know nothings that would otherwise throw in votes for democrats.

Pedrito

She was Putin's Nader bomb. A stooge to soak up idealistic know nothings that would otherwise throw in votes for democrats.

Yeah but was she just a useful idiot or was there some colluding going on?

I could see her being a RT fan and accepting an invitation to the dinner party, only to learn at the last second that she would sit with Putin.

But with her name popping up now, it looks like there might have been something more sinister going on.

UberTag

Yeah but was she just a useful idiot or was there some colluding going on?

I could see her being a RT fan and accepting an invitation to the dinner party, only to learn at the last second that she would sit with Putin.

But with her name popping up now, it looks like there might have been something more sinister going on.
Would Steele have mentioned her in his dossier if that was merely a coincidental seating arrangement?

Fercho

No way in hell that Manafort and Kushner are going to fuck it up. They seem to smart for that.

But Trump Jr. OMG is he stupid.....i hope he gets entangled in his own stupid words and bring everything down.

Steel

Banned
It's one of those 3 sided circles - triangle!

Is this like one of those Japanese Animes?

No way in hell that Manafort and Kushner are going to fuck it up. They seem to smart for that.

But Trump Jr. OMG is he stupid.....i hope he gets entangled in his own stupid words and bring everything down.

Kush has been pretty dumb about things. Not to mention that Don Jr has been tripping him up. Manafort is in deep, on the other hand.

Democrat: What on Earth could you have possibly discussed with Russians that was so dire, you failed to mentioned it?

Republican: What did you have for breakfast?

Van Jones: He became the Son of the President that day.

Democrat questions are spot on, but lets not pretend that the Republicans won't do it like this:

Republican: What sort of Hillary Clinton information were they promising you?

Jr.: Juicy stuff, but they had nothing.

Republican: Well, let's say "if they did", what would you think that information was about? Emails?

Jr.: ....

Republican: Even though they didn't have anything, it's far more interesting to think of the possibility that they DID, so lets imagine all the different things the Russians could've given us....

Democrat: Lets keep to the point and the truth of what DID happen here.

Republican: Nah, the "what ifs" are more interesting, especially if it's "what ifs" about Hillary!

Apathy

It's just going to be a waste of time and money for everyone since he's just going to forget everything or just plead the fifth.

There's more Russians on that list than in the KHL.

This laywer's take on the letter is an interesting analysis too.

https://twitter.com/prdickinson/status/887831056426074112

(1/25): Here's my litigator's take on letters sent by the Senate Judiciary today to Junior and Manafort basically asking for the same thing. 1/ https://t.co/VvhEpX1IQp

(2/25): These types of letters are called spoliation and/or preservation letters. Spoliation is a legal term to describe destroyed evidence. 2/

(3/25): The letter is, for the most part, very broad and inclusive. It's much like what I would use in litigation as a document request. 3/

(4/25): But it's sufficiently narrow in scope about Russia & contacts w/ Russian govt officials, associates, or reps to not go outside the lines. 4/

(5/25): Item #1 seeks all docs related to the 6/9/16 meeting - including all docs provided during the meeting (what Jr. was given by Russians). 5/

(6/25): Item #1 also seeks all docs re: scheduling the meeting. My thread on the email discussed the scheduling process. 6/ https://t.co/TE6DJZb3O4

(7/25): Item #1 also seeks all docs re: "what happened during the meeting & any related axns taken after the meeting." Pretty much covers it all. 7/

(8/25): Item #1 asking for what happened during the meeting would cover all notes, texts (Manafort on phone), papers exchanged, etc. Everything. 8/

(9/25): Item #1 asking for "any related axns taken after meeting" covers everything once they all left. Everything. Notes. Email. Texts. Etc. 9/

(10/25): #1 asking for related axns could also be inferred to mean payments, receipts, setting up of secret email accts. It's an endless list. 10/

(11/25): Item #2 then asks for all communications to/from/copied re: a long list of Russians & Trump's campaign folks. Jill Stein made the list. 11/

(12/25): Item #2's list includes Flynn, Carter Page, Michael Cohen, Chris Steele, Corey L. and lots n lots of Russians. Even Putin's on the list! 12/

(13/25): Item #2's list DOES NOT include Donald Trump, Sr. Thus avoids the call for Trump to object and bring his legal cnsl on POTUS privilege. 13/

(14/25): Item #2's list ends to include all "alternative spellings, pseudonyms, nicknames, abbreviations, or codes." CODES NAMES! (Excellent) 14/

(15/25): Item #2 is basically seeking any and every form of communication between Junior/Manafort and the folks listed about ANYTHING. 15/

(16/25): This part of Item #2 may be overly broad. Hard to imagine how every communication between Junior and Lewandowski is relevant to Russia. 16/

(17/25): Item #2's list of folks also excludes anyone currently in the WH. Jared Kushner is not on the list. Choice of names avoids involving WH. 17/

(18/25): Item #3 then makes the big request. All docs relating to any attempt or axns to obtain info from Russia during the campaign about HRC. 18/

(19/25): Item #3's request is to Junior, but includes all docs related to or axns taken by him - OR the Trump campaign. 19/

(20/25): Junior could - and probably will - argue that he doesn't have custody or control over all of the requested docs. A reasonable argument. 20/

(21/25): Manafort will def argue he has no custody or control over any such docs as he was fired by campaign. He'd only have pers docs. Still. 21/

(22/25): Importantly, Item #3's request is for info from the Russian govt or "anyone who you believed to be acting on behalf of Russian govt". 22/

(23/25): Item #4 then is the whale request: All docs re: axns taken by Trump campaign to use info related to Russia's meddling in election. 23/

(24/25): The docs are asked by 8/2/17. Two weeks from today. An utterly impossible target date even assuming everything is turned over. 24/

(25/25): Letter is signed by Pubs and Dems. The letter isn't a shot over the bow. The letter is a gut shot and an uppercut. They want everything. END

Top Bottom