• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Trump Jr. Breaks Vow; Will Not Testify Under Oath

Hagi

Under oath or not this should be open to the public and not done behind closed doors. Shocked but not shocked they would pull this kind of shit.

What a shock! I'm shocked. Everyone is shocked. What a shocking development.

Family of inveterate liars look for cover for their lies. Shocking.

outsida

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

MarionCB

Testifying in private and not under oath--this is looking more like a cover-up than a good deal. Republican numbers in Congress showing where their interests are and it's not in an accountable democracy or the rule of law. Next we'll hear the "documents" are worthless in some way, like easily attainable by other means. It's good to be the son of the President, I guess.

So he's happy to cooperate with the investigation.

Just as long as he's not put in a position where he has no choice but to tell the truth or potentially be held accountable for any lies he tells while cooperating..........

America.

You fucked up.

You fucked up soooooooooooooo bad.

Avalanche

I feel like it's going to be hard to spin the media narrative on this in a productive way. He'll lie, right wing media will say 'this is the truth', the left will scrabble to explain why it's not definitive and the middle will go with the easy message.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
...so whats the point then ? Just burning tax money and wasting time ?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
"Agreed to testify, but not under oath"

Is this how US justicial matters work?
"Alright, I'll come, but I'll lie if that's alright with you" - "Deal!"

WTF? What's the point indeed.

digdug2k

Yeah, US gaf, I don't understand, why can anyone even testify without being under oath?
Yeah, I don't think it probably makes sense to anyone in the states either. Well, i mean, it makes sense. He wants to lie. The GOP wants a PR stunt so they can act like they care that they elected a fucking communist puppet as their leader. That's... about it?

Yeah, US gaf, I don't understand, why can anyone even testify without being under oath?

It doesnt really matter, Jeff Sessions Perjured himself multiple times under oath and nothing happened to him. The house and senate has far too many republicans to allow anything to happen anyways, all of our hope rests with Mueller.

Obviously this makes him look incredibly guilty though,and Fox is going to have to change their gameplan this weak to explain how refusing to go under oath is normal for innocent people, and even if he isnt innocent then its not a big deal, and if it is a big deal then its not his fault.

When is the last time someone was prosecuted for lying to Congress tho?

I mean, it's not like we don't have any instances of falsehoods being stated on the record in recent memory.

How many of those were followed up?

Just sayin'.

If the oath were just theater, then why is Trump Jr. afraid to testify under oath?

I get your point, but let's assume Junior takes the oath and lies. Do you think that actually makes any responsible parties more likely to prosecute him? I'm not holding my breath on him catching heat for lying, oath or no.

I don't understand your system there, fellow US citizens. What's the point ?

Right? This is a literal spit in the face of the concept of a just legal system. A continued series of shittossing from this administration. Just say you forgot, made a mistake, didn't mean to lie or just say you will lie in front of the face of justice and people will oblige while men and women who've done less are rotting in an overfilled, unsympathetic system. This is a fucking embarrassment.

digdug2k

Lets put it this way, its clear at this point that when the FBI brings it actual charges against Don Jr., and that looks inevitable at this point, his father is going to instantly pardon him anyway. And his supporters (you remember, those people chanting "lock her up!" for the entire election because they thought Hillary Clinton was "above the law"), will explain to us that that's just how the system works, and its perfectly fine.

woolley

Its not like the senate hearings mean anything. Its just a way for senators to act like they're doing something.

g11

The US is lucky that Trump and his cronies are a bunch of idiots.

On the other hand, a lot of our citizens are idiots too. Idiot enough to elect a lot of these idiots.

FWIW, I'm sure this will come as a shock to most of you, but the Senate Committee on the Judiciary is majority Republican. I know, I couldn't believe it either! The check (money or political capital) is in the mail to some/all of the following I'm sure:

• Chuck Grassley, Iowa, Chairman
  • Orrin Hatch, Utah
  • Lindsey Graham, South Carolina
  • John Cornyn, Texas
  • Mike Lee, Utah
  • Ted Cruz, Texas
  • Ben Sasse, Nebraska
  • Jeff Flake, Arizona
  • Mike Crapo, Idaho
  • Thom Tillis, North Carolina
  • John Neely Kennedy, Louisiana

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Note that this testimony was to be for the congressional investigation, which is independent of Mueller's FBI investigation. We could still see indictments as a result of the latter.

Shauni

I feel like it's going to be hard to spin the media narrative on this in a productive way. He'll lie, right wing media will say 'this is the truth', the left will scrabble to explain why it's not definitive and the middle will go with the easy message.

If he's caught in a lie, they'll just report it as such, as they have been. So, I don't know what you're trying to get at.

danm999

Lets put it this way, its clear at this point that when the FBI brings it actual charges against Don Jr., and that looks inevitable at this point, his father is going to instantly pardon him anyway. And his supporters (you remember, those people chanting "lock her up!" for the entire election because they thought Hillary Clinton was "above the law"), will explain to us that that's just how the system works, and its perfectly fine.

It's whatabboutism but can you imagine if Clinton had worked out a deal to testify not under oath behind closed doors to a majority Democrat Congress. Lawdy.

Nif

He'll just use the old "Not to my recollection," defense to get around lying. Not lying if you "can't recall," sadly. Ask Jeff Sessions.

Lying to congress is illegal.

That being said, congress' investigations became virtually irrelevant the minute Mueller was put in charge of the special investigation. He holds all the keys, everything else is for show.

III-V

What kind of a sweetheart deal is this? No sense in coming before the Senate hearing committee if it is not under oath?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Oh but he told at Hannity that this is it. This is all of it. There is nothing more. And I will TESTIFY but you right, he never said under oath :)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not surprised at all. Don Jr is just as scummy as the rest of his terrible family.

Seems like even with all this proof, there will be no consequences for these people. Like why the fuck is Sessions not arrested at this point? At the end of the investigation and Trump and everyone is found guilty than where do we go from here? They gonna cry fake news?

What a fucking joke. They should be mandated to testify under oath, otherwise they're wasting everyone's time. Not that being under oath has stopped them from lying anyways.

Kushners little song and dance would be marginally more believable if was not for Jr Trump bumbling.

He must want to strangle him so bad.

This is unbelievable.

I don't see how a thinking person could look at this and believe these people are innocent. It's outrageous.

What a pathetic sack of shit. How is any of this even possible. This should even show his and his dadda's supporters that they are hiding something...

Just unbelievable that nothing has been done already about these people. The system is totally broken.

UberTag

This is unbelievable.

I don't see how a thinking person could look at this and believe these people are innocent. It's outrageous.
Good thing for the Republicans that 37 out of every 100 Americans are either not thinking people or WANT these people in power irrespective of any guilt.

LCGeek

formerly sane
So he's happy to cooperate with the investigation.

Just as long as he's not put in a position where he has no choice but to tell the truth or potentially be held accountable for any lies he tells while cooperating..........

America.

You fucked up.

You fucked up soooooooooooooo bad.

We did worse on 911 and the banking collapse this a symptom of the same problem.

Top Bottom