• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump, Jr. Asked to Testify before Senate Committee

This all seems to be a smoke and mirrors thing how is Donald Trump not gone after to that email scandal???

He's even posting things about the wall on Twitter. That email wasn't enough to get his ass out of here)

Zolo

This all seems to be a smoke and mirrors thing how is Donald Trump not gone after to that email scandal???

He's even posting things about the wall on Twitter. That email wasn't enough to get his ass out of here)

Because there's not a case where something gets revealed and the secret service throw him out on his ass. We're in the middle of a likely 1-2 year long investigation.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The thread title should be: Donald Trump Jr to insert foot into his mouth once again.

epmode

So basically he'll serve out his first term?
I think there's a good chance that he will. Feels like the GOP will make excuses for practically anything he does, so long as his base stays loyal.

If the 2018 election becomes a massive blue wave, that may change.

Zolo

Almost certainly yes. Even with compelling evidence, Republicans and GOP will stand by their own unless their constituents want him out. The GOP are also almost certainly going to hold a majority in the senate even after mid-terms.

Tacitus_

DKJhx9l.gif

Best reality show ever.

Who knows. But his first term isn't up until Jan 2021. 1-2 years (for a total of 2-3 years since an investigation has been going on since summer 2016) puts this at 2019ish. But yes without Dems getting a majority in both chambers in Congress, he'll finish his term. Even if they managed to get both chambers, they would not have the supermajority needed in the Senate to lodge any realistic impeachment process for a conviction. Unless shit really hits the fan and the GOP sees him as a massive liability as evidenced by them managing to even lose the Senate in 2018 at all.

theWB27

Who knows. But his first term isn't up until Jan 2021. 1-2 years (for a total of 2-3 years since an investigation has been going on since summer 2016) puts this at 2019ish. But yes without Dems getting a majority in both chambers in Congress, he'll finish his term. Even if they managed to get both chambers, they would not have the supermajority needed in the Senate to lodge any realistic impeachment process for a conviction. Unless shit really hits the fan and the GOP sees him as a massive liability as evidenced by them managing to even lose the Senate in 2018 at all.

If they won back a significant amount of seats I don't think the GOP could ignore them as easily as they are now.

I feel like now I'm beginning to see why he doesn't have an official position with his dad's office or business. Dude is clearly the most vocal and not terribly bright.

I know. But I also expect nothing but deflection from the Republicans on the comittee. And they're in charge of the committee.

The only reason he is being brought in is because Grassley wants it. You think he is bringing him in just to deflect? If he wanted to protect Jr's he wouldn't make him answer any questions under oath.

Grassley has actually been pressing pretty hard on this for a bit now. He played real hard ball to get Comey to testify to his committee, going as far as refusing to allow FBI appointments through committee until Comey appeared.

Perhaps, but remember that if even just the House flips, he'll be able to accomplish absolutely nothing. He could remain in office but remain the lamest duck ever to have ducked.

VOTE IN THE MIDTERMS, people!

If this happens can we please start calling him a lame cuck president (not really let's not do that)

In that case he gets voted out in 2020 and the next Dem president doesn't give him a pardon

BobLoblaw

Banned
The only question they really need to ask him under oath is did he ever tell his father directly or infer in anyway that the Russian government supported his presidency. Then catch his ass with perjury.

Under normal circumstances, he probably would serve out his first term. I don't really think he'll get impeached anytime soon, unless Dems completely wipe the floor with the GOP in Congress mid-term elections next year.

However, I still feel like Trump is likely going to keel over from a heart attack due to his poor health and the sheer ongoing stress of the Presidency or he'll rage-quit if things just never let up on him. I just don't see him making it to the end of his first term, considering how utterly bonkers everything has been in the first half-a-year of his presidency alone.

So on what basis, other than being partisan hacks, will anyone be able to ask Trump Jr (a private citizen with no expertise in anything) about Clinton? He has zero connection or knowledge to offer on anything involving her.

shira

I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I don't recall
I hope he give shoutouts Ivanka clothing line between idrs

The only question they really need to ask him under oath is did he ever tell his father directly or infer in anyway that the Russian government supported his presidency. Then catch his ass with perjury.

They need to access his phone records on June 7th to see how quick he called his dad after th meeting.

BigDes

So on what basis, other than being partisan hacks, will anyone be able to ask Trump Jr (a private citizen with no expertise in anything) about Clinton? He has zero connection or knowledge to offer on anything involving her.
How did it feel Mr Trump, when Killary possessed you and made you contact the Russians?

Aselith

Under oath or not, I feel like he would still lie. Not expecting anything out of it.

Hopefully! That's the point. You get people on the record so that you can catch them out based on evidence. It would be amazing if he tries to lie instead of just "not recall". That's the best possible outcome. This shit ain't Matlock.

Yeah the oath is really a pointless thing. People lie all the time.

And when people lie under oath, and it can be proven that they lied under oath, they are charged with perjury, a criminal felony.

Testifying under oath is not pointless at all. The point is to keep people honest under the threat of perjury.

Top Bottom