• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
pug-dog-reaction-turns-around-slowly-13915564480.gif

Seik

Banned
Special message to those wanting 60fps.

It won't. At this point you have to concess some things, it's either 480p/60 (won't happen) or 720p/30...or 900p (talking about docked.). As long as the framerate is stable I'm ok with that.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to eat crow.

Rosur2a

As long as doom is a good port I'll be double dipping on it.

Was surprised by it being Wolfenstein 2 rather than 1.

Thraktor

And this is why you support open API standards. I'd bet good money these ports were only given the go-ahead in the last few months after Bethesda was already seeing strong Switch sales, and had Nintendo stuck to a proprietary graphics API with the console I don't see them being able to get the engine ported in time for Doom to release this year.

Also, to toot my own horn:

I doubt it's Fallout 4 for Switch, just because it wouldn't make much sense for them to release it so close to Skyrim. I also feel like they would have announced it alongside the PS4/XBO re-releases if it was happening.

My money's on a Switch port of DOOM. As I've mentioned a few times before, it's actually a good candidate for a relatively quick Switch port, as it's got a Vulkan renderer (Switch's NVN is based on Vulkan) and performs pretty well on low-spec PCs. It would also get quite a bit of attention for running on a portable, and would have a different enough audience from Skyrim for Bethesda to not have to worry too much about releasing them close together.

Vulkan wouldn't really help with performance per se, but rather would allow them to skip the step of translating the renderer to a new proprietary API, which can be quite a lot of work. My thinking is that if Bethesda saw strong initial sales of Switch and wanted to have another title out by the end of the year, Doom would have been a relatively quick port due to the fact that they could use their existing Vulkan renderer as a base.

The main issue with a Doom port would probably be staffing. Although id don't have any of their own titles releasing soon, the new Wolfenstein game is using id Tech, so a lot of the engine team have probably been hard at work on that.

My main mistake was thinking that bringing id Tech to Switch and working on Wolfenstein 2 were mutually exclusive jobs :p Genuinely surprised by that one!

I am probably guessing that since Wolfenstein: The New Order came out for 360 and PS3, New Collossus on the switch will probably look a lot like the previous game on those systems. As for Doom I will be interested in seeing how that turns out. On the go Doom is cool.

dreamfall

SURPRISE OF FOREVER!

We need titles like this on Switch, glad to see Bethesda setting the pace. DOOM and Wolfenstein II on the go sounds like a dream!

Give me some Red Dead next Rockstar!

I was dying for a good FPS in switch and they happen to release my favorite FPS from last year. First time in a long long while that I'll be double dipping on a game.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Will EASILY double-dip on DOOM. Portable DOOM sounds like bliss. But the footage they showed looked preeeetty fucking low-res. Not sure how much of that was the stream versus the game itself. Hopefully it's a good port.

Wolfenstein II... Yeah fuck it, I'll probably double dip on that too. Again... portability.

I'm rather impressed by Bethesda's Switch offerings. They're really committing, provided the ports run well. I wouldn't be against douple-dipping on DOOM, and now I kind of have to play Wolfenstein. :p

Trago

Portable fucking DOOM!!! I didn't know I wanted this, but I do!

And hell, I'll get Wolfenstein on Switch as well. I would have never expected either game on the console.

Answering questions for size concerns

Compression - look at 360/PS3 cross gen stuff. COD Ghosts is about 10GB there but closer to 50GB on PS4/Xbox One. Slower load times or reduced assets but it's not going to be 50GB.

In terms of how it's possible - Vulkan is a really great engine that scales incredibly well, with that said don't expect parity of course. I would expect 60fps given that RAGE and Wolfenstein hit that target on last gen. Graphics will almost certainly take a hit though.

Asd202

That wasn't the argument now was it. It was that current gen games just couldn't run at all on the system. The argument will now simply change to "only certain games will run" and then to "pfft who wants to play a gimped version on Switch anyway" lol.

That is still true you know.

MrT-Tar

We are now living in a world where a Nintendo platform is being supported more by Bethesda and NIS than Capcom. That would have been unthinkable even 12 months ago.

Opa-Pa

That's really impressive Bethesda, I'll definitely get Doom if it's a decent port.

... On that note, it better be a port by Id themselves, otherwise, I dunno.

Looks like Bethedsa are all in on the switch at this point wasn't expecting anything else until they had seen Skyrim's sales.

I was convinced of that too. But I guess they must be pretty confident then. I do think their games, especially the RPGs, are a really great fit for a system like this.

Keep in mind all of the compression going on here but you can see some of the cutbacks on texture quality in this shot, especially on the door by his left hand.
lPFvRGy.jpg

Great news for Switch. The system really needs some strong FPS titles.

Metroid Prime 4 is still far away, and that alone wouldn't cut it anyway.

Bethesda is going to reap that good will buy from Nintendo fans and anyone looking to play their games on the go. I hope other companies start to catch on.

Will EASILY double-dip on DOOM. Portable DOOM sounds like bliss. But the footage they showed looked preeeetty fucking low-res. Not sure how much of that was the stream versus the game itself. Hopefully it's a good port.

Wolfenstein II... Yeah fuck it, I'll probably double dip on that too. Again... portability.

This is the simple beauty of the Switch in a nutshell. Good enough, and portable. Hell yeah I want DOOM anywhere I want.

vareon

Taking the "DOOM runs on anything" a little bit too seriously there, eh?

But damn it's impressive they could get Doom running on a Switch.

Da-Kid

Keep in mind all of the compression going on here but you can see some of the cutbacks on texture quality in this shot, especially on the door by his left hand.
lPFvRGy.jpg
Isn't this from the stream, we can't really judge too hard yet on stream quality, even HD.

Finding it quite interesting that Seitch is getting this support plus it's exclusives. I mean I feel like Sony are doing fine, but at this point you've gotta wonder if certain third parties are more interested in supporting Switch than the Xbox looking at sales numbers.

antonz

Bethesda and Howard are true to their word. They always said they were interested in putting their titles on Nintendo devices but the hardware wasn't there.

Switch makes it possible and they are putting in the effort.

Brofield

They're bringing it, I'm buying it. It'll be my console of choice, and I assure you Bethesda I will support these decisions.

Here's hoping they get Skyrim mods on track for Switch ASAP so I can fus ro dah some Thomas The Tank Engines.

Still though, I wonder if Nintendo themselves are helping with compression on Doom. Maybe 64GB carts are on the horizon quicker than we think?

Top Bottom