• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

I'll miss the Majors, but as long as we return to third parties being able to do Compendiums I will be okay with it. I imagine we'll get unofficial Majors as it is:

CN Major: DAC 2018
EU Major: ESL Frankfurt
CIS Major: EPICENTER and/or Starladder
US Major: The Summit?
SEA Major: ESL Manila?

Would put some money on this

Even though it's not incredibly professional, The Summit is easily one of the best tournaments of the year imo. They consistently do things that other tournaments really should be doing more often--getting pro's at the event to commentate/analyze games, guest appearances from pro's who aren't competing, and the general familial feel of the event is a lot of fun. Once upon a time they did release the most disappointing Compendium I've ever paid for, but overall they have consistently ran a quality tournament.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'll miss the Majors, but as long as we return to third parties being able to do Compendiums I will be okay with it. I imagine we'll get unofficial Majors as it is:

CN Major: DAC 2018
EU Major: ESL Frankfurt
CIS Major: EPICENTER and/or Starladder
US Major: The Summit?
SEA Major: ESL Manila?

The Summit will likely be a minor. I hope the US gets another Major, but Valve may need to front the entire budget to have it happen.

The Summit will likely be a minor. I hope the US gets another Major, but Valve may need to front the entire budget to have it happen.

It basically comes down to BTS, Starladder, or ESL coming up with a good source of funding and not going overboard to get a Major in the US. I can't think of any other organizations that would get involved--maybe ESEA ventures into DotA 2 to form a closer relationship with Valve?

shira

i still want the majors tbh

Valve could have keep up with the Major's system and still fund third-party tournaments with the money they made from Dota 2.

This is Valve being cheapstake again for forgoing the Major format, its prizepool and the hospitality for the players.

They are doing Majors and Minors:

DD2c974VYAArAZX.jpg:large

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Really, with the size of the Summit the past few years, they are most likely going to be a "Minor", and that's fine. A minor in Valve's system will have a minimum prizepool of $300k and teams from around the world.

Actually, the Summit will need to increase their prizepool just to be a Minor, they have done $100k base since the Summit 2. I doubt Valve will let tournaments do crowdfunding to determine their status, and will require them put up a base $150k/$500k at a minimum.

Arol

Actually, the Summit will need to increase their prizepool just to be a Minor, they have done $100k base since the Summit 2. I doubt Valve will let tournaments do crowdfunding to determine their status, and will require them put up a base $150k/$500k at a minimum.

They could let them do crowdfunding once its determined they actually have the initial 150k and show bank notes/receipts.

Also BTS is located in SoCal, it might be more expensive for them to try hosting anything beyond what they do now though. But I'm not going to pretend to know how much revenue they actually generate throughout the year.

Denver Major at Red Rocks.

Faceless being out means that Black might be a panelist at Ti which I am ok with. Syndereen too right? I don't think I team made it past qualifiers.

shira

MDL Day 1 of 5 Round Robins

Format:
- 2 day Bo1 round robin into 3 day Bo3 playoffs with Bo5 GF
- Top 4 round robins UB, bottom 4 round robins LB

Today fourteen Bo1 played two at a time

https://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit
https://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit2

t1499220000z1.png

Clutch vs NB
EG vs OG

followed by
iG vs VG
LGD vs LFY

followed by
Clutch vs EG
iG vs NB

followed by
LGD vd OG
LFY vs VG

followed by
Clutch vs iG
LGD vs EG

followed by
LFY vs NB
VG vs OG

followed by
Clutch vs LGD
LFY vs iG
OG VS EG GG

Envy blog.

Who is the accountant at Valve trying to save them money at all these events?

Paying for 6 players instead of 8 per team. Doesn't seem like a huge deal. Against the backdrop of a privately held, insanely profitable, business I don't see the reason for penny pinching.

They putting money into a huge VR game or Half life sequel?

shira

Envy blog.

Who is the accountant at Valve trying to save them money at all these events?

Paying for 6 players instead of 8 per team. Doesn't seem like a huge deal. Against the backdrop of a privately held, insanely profitable, business I don't see the reason for penny pinching.

They putting money into a huge VR game or Half life sequel?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comm...medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=DotA2

Valve emailed him they changed it to 7 an hour before he published that
misc-fEEd.png

Valve emailed him they changed it to 7 an hour before he published that
misc-fEEd.png

That's good and more reasonable.

Not that Envy is a reliable narrator but that quote from the Valve employee about them cutting food for players as an "experiment" felt pretty telling.

shira

That's good and more reasonable.

Not that Envy is a reliable narrator but that quote from the Valve employee about them cutting food for players as an "experiment" felt pretty telling.
Idk what's dumber, that Valve/PGL removed the buffet and gave free ayce room service, that a 5 star hotel couldn't keep up with the player demand, or that the managers couldn't order food delivery

Qvoth

arc again
og really do believe in arc huh?
edit: do ss mass serpent wards gets evasion and attack speed from arc warden's dome thing?
any other carry and og would probably perform better, arc not doing much this game

Qvoth

that was pretty much gg imo
notail is very far behind
like i said, any other carry and og would've performed better this game

Qvoth

ti winner winning plays by s4 to steal aegis but still lose fight LUL
edit: yep gg
for og, either ana should play arc or don't pick him at all, notail clearly can't play arc

Top Bottom