• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doug Lombardi did not leave Valve. Stop hyperventilating and go read a book.

HoosTrax

What is the purpose of major company executives having LinkedIn profiles anyway? As if prospective employers wouldn't be aware of what they've worked on in the past?

So based on this unfortunate mixup, is it possible that some of the other people that were presumed laid off are actually still at Valve? Which ones have been confirmed as laid off?

So based on this unfortunate mixup, is it possible that some of the other people that were presumed laid off are actually still at Valve? Which ones have been confirmed as laid off?

No this is a different situation from what I can tell and based on a different source of information.

Cool, is there maybe a list of confirmed departures somewhere?

Yes. http://www.valvetime.net/threads/updated-3-staff-departures-from-valve.243175/

Babi Velho - Portuguese Representative
Bay Raitt - Artist, SFM Developer
Ed Owen - Hardware Product Developer
Elan Ruskin - Programmer
Greg Towner - Animator
Jeri Ellsworth - Electrical Engineer
Joe Han - Animator
Joel Shoop - UI, UX Designer
Keith Huggins - Animator
Leslie Redd - Director of Educational Programs
Marc Nagel - Test Lead, IT Developer
Matthew Russell - Animation, Designer
Michael Caldwell - Designer
Moby Francke - Artist, Art Director
Noel McGinn - Animator
Olivier Nallet - Software Developer
Realm Lovejoy - Artist
Tanio Klyce - Engineer
Tom Leonard - Senior Game Designer

That's 19, confirmed, though linkedin/twitter/facebook profile updates. The initial reports said "up to 25". It's very possible we're still missing a few.

TheExodu5

Banned
So he is an important man at the Company? But again, importent men do leave companies, and companies do still remain goo (See Retros Studios),...

It is not a usual thing for employees to leave Valve. Combine that with the fact that Doug Lombardi is a very prominent member of Valve, and you have yourself a newsworthy story.

Gustav

Banned
What's with the condescending tone in the thread title? Some mod thought he would be clever speaking down to us?

Kadayi

Banned
Did you not read the post he quoted? The comment wasn't, "just about everything they work on is of no interest to me", but "just about everything they work on is in development hell/limbo".

When Valve pushed the idea of episodic with HL2:EP1 back in 2005 they actively stated that the trilogy of titles would wrap by Christmas 2007. I'd say 6 years of no show of your most famous franchise is pretty indicative of development hell tbh. What about the space game from a few years back? Sounded promising, got mothballed. We hear a lot about all these exciting things Valve are up to but in reality, all we've seen since Half-life 2 is the refinement and repackaging of other peoples ideas (L4D, Portal, CS, DotA). Where are the new IPs to wow us exactly?

I think it's all well and good that Valve feel the urge to continue to support TF2 & CS and the communities that have grown up around them and that all that steam money affords them the opportunity, but I've a feeling a lot of people would rather they play to what once originally one of their strengths, namely developing compelling single players gaming experiences. Right now other developers are pushing that space in different directions, and it's hard to really see based on what Valve have produced of late, how they're ever going to be able to compete in that arena are more and more time goes on.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When Valve pushed the idea of episodic with HL2:EP1 back in 2005 they actively stated that the trilogy of titles would wrap by Christmas 2007. I'd say 6 years of no show of your most famous franchise is pretty indicative of development hell tbh. What about the space game from a few years back? Sounded promising, got mothballed. We hear a lot about all these exciting things Valve are up to but in reality, all we've seen since Half-life 2 is the refinement and repackaging of other peoples ideas (L4D, Portal, CS, DotA). Where are the new IPs to wow us exactly?

People keep bringing up Portal and co. as examples of "repackaging other people's ideas", but I'm still not entirely sure what distinction there is to be made between a supposedly "real" Valve project and Valve hiring the team responsible for the inspiration to let them work the underlying idea into something grander. I do agree, however, that a new IP from Valve is overdue; Left 4 Dead released in 2008.

I think it's all well and good that Valve feel the urge to continue to support TF2 & CS and the communities that have grown up around them and that all that steam money affords them the opportunity, but I've a feeling a lot of people would rather they play to what once originally one of their strengths, namely developing compelling single players gaming experiences. Right now other developers are pushing that space in different directions, and it's hard to really see based on what Valve have produced of late, how they're ever going to be able to compete in that arena are more and more time goes on.

I'd say the virtually universal praise for Portal 2 shows that Valve is still capable of delivering enjoyable narrative-driven campaigns.

Top Bottom