• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT3| Men in pink? How bizarre!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the exception of Gohan, which character has been written out for this arc that could possibly contribute anything?

They could have sent 18 to the future to help the resistance. She has no detectable ki so she can spy on Black very easily and her interactions with the human survivors and Yajirobe would be hilarious.

Trunks could have activated Future 16 in the time span between Z and Super so he isn't the only fighter left to protect Earth.

Piccolo used to be the go-to guy to discuss god stuff and lore but he's been completely left behind now.

So that's already four characters (with Gohan) they could have written in.

They could have sent 18 to the future to help the resistance. She has no detectable ki so she can spy on Black very easily and her interactions with the human survivors and Yajirobe would be hilarious.

Trunks could have activated Future 16 in the time span between Z and Super so he isn't the only fighter left to protect Earth.

Piccolo used to be the go-to guy to discuss god stuff and lore but he's been completely left behind now.

So that's already four characters (with Gohan) they could have written in.
18 doesn't give a fuck about fighting.
There might not even be a future 16 for all we know.
Piccolo knows he's out of his league.

ElFly

the only character interaction I am missing in this arc is Future Trunks / Kaiohshin

supposedly Kaiohshin helped Future Trunks and died in the battle against Babidi

but once more, Future Trunks doesn't give a fuck

oh well I got the nice Future Trunks / Gohan interaction the Cell saga owed us, so maybe one day

18 doesn't give a fuck about fighting.
There might not even be a future 16 for all we know.
Piccolo knows he's out of his league.

Blader asked who could contribute anything, I simply gave my opinion on who I think could contribute to the story. The details in your post are malleable details that Toriyama or Toei could easily write around. For example, in Resurrection F, they could easily have removed Roshi, added Yamcha, removed Jaco, added Buu, etc. regardless of any power level.

If this were Star Wars, Trunks would have founded a ki-manipulation academy and trained a whole bunch of students to make sure the next generation can defend themselves.
Then Kylo Black would have slaughtered all of them.

Kito

Given that 16 is programmed to kill Goku, I would love to see 16 vs Back, however brief. Clever twists like that are the best. Reminds me of Itachi's Crow activating on Itachi rather than Sasuke.

olympia

Given that 16 is programmed to kill Goku, I would love to see 16 vs Back, however brief. Clever twists like that are the best.

Black would squash 16 like a tragic little bug but I like wild ideas like this

16 was so cool

If this were Star Wars, Trunks would have founded a ki-manipulation academy and trained a whole bunch of students to make sure the next generation can defend themselves.

Doesn't he effectively do this with goten in DB online?

Also I'm usually defending super goku but they really pushed it this episode.

After rewatching some of GT again I much prefer GT Goku over Super Goku.

Didn't think i'd utter those words when Super started, but here we are.

Yes

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit !!! This is hype.

I wish they would add some characters to Extreme Butoden. Android 17 and 16 etc...

I also wish these were out on NX so we could play with on a proper console that doesn't have shit controls T.T .

I don't want to stoop to port begging in off-topic discussion, but I wish I could play this game on a tv.

ElFly

Given that 16 is programmed to kill Goku, I would love to see 16 vs Back, however brief. Clever twists like that are the best. Reminds me of Itachi's Crow activating on Itachi rather than Sasuke.

16: "this is not really Goku, just a facsimile. I am not completely stupid and will not fight this guy who is obviously not Goku"

Black: *murders 16*

awesome dude, keep it up. would love to see more

tbh this thread can use more fan art

here is a trunks i sketched in between portfolio work. just needed to get him out of my system really

3jB0C98m.jpg

it'd hard as hell to get loose while still adhering to the db style

here's some piccolo noodling too

sIWm0AHm.jpg

wanna do more fan art when i'm done with my portfolio. i'm ignited af
I love Piccolo's face, he looks funny (I don't mean that in a bad way).

Kito

Black would squash 16 like a tragic little bug but I like wild ideas like this

16 was so cool

If not a 1v1, then 16 could just deliver the final blow to Black with self destruct. He completes his mission and Dr Gero ironically saves humanity.

I don't know, Bulma said it can destroy a planet.

Vegeta and Freeza survived Earth being blown up in F, Vegeta only died because he couldn't breathe in space. 16 blows up the planet, good job, you destroyed what Trunks was trying to protect and then Black just ITs to another planet.

Namikaze

Vegeta and Freeza survived Earth being blown up in F, Vegeta only died because he couldn't breathe in space. 16 blows up the planet, good job, you destroyed what Trunks was trying to protect and then Black just ITs to another planet.

Really? Was this touched on in the movie/TV retelling? I must have missed it.

It's pretty obvious Goku was changed up to make him more kid friendly to sell more toys
Almost all of the merch right now is serious Goku, in fact most of the merch right now is Z anyways. Goku is probably the way he is because Toriyama requested that he be less serious and heroic.
Really? Was this touched on in the movie/TV retelling? I must have missed it.

It was in the movie and the retelling, Freeza survived because he doesn't need oxygen.

Slaythe

Was that said anywhere ?

Vegeta couldn't hold his breathe 5 minutes ?

Hard to believe when Goku fought Beerus 8 hours in space.

Anth0ny

This has to be the first time in history that two completely unrelated games were later updated to be cross compatible like that. Crazy.

I now live in a world where there is a One Piece/ DBZ cross over fighter made by Arc System Works.

I really wish they weren't stuck on 3DS. No fighting game is ever going to blow up on a handheld. Why not release these games on everything? I want to use my stick :(

NeonZ

Almost all of the merch right now is serious Goku, in fact most of the merch right now is Z anyways. Goku is probably the way he is because Toriyama requested that he be less serious and heroic.

I think Toriyama requested to make him less super hero-like which was his big complaint about his characterization in Z's anime-only content. In order to make up for that though, I think Toei by themselves decided to move him in this goofier direction. This way, it makes his less hero-like behavior seem born out of "lovable" stupidity rather than any negative quality. Look at the Super manga - Goku isn't nearly as goofy there compared to the anime.

ElFly

As you said they left earlier, why would he do that and not just continue training Gohan even more? Why not get Gohan to SSJ2?

He didn't know SSJ2 existed, as far he knew mastering SSJ1 was the most effective thing he could do and training anymore would give him(and Gohan) diminishing returns that wouldn't get him strong enough to beat Cell, best thing to do at that point is get Gohan ready.

I have to think that he knew of Gohan's SSJ2 form

he is all smugly confident Gohan can take on Cell, and once he gives up his turn on the cell games, he goes "Gohan you just gotta use that power that appears once you get angry". then he insists on it, going "our only hope is that Gohan shows up that power he has when he gets angry" and when Cell decides to piss Gohan off, Goku thinks to himself "yes Cell, this will be your mistake, making Gohan angry" etc etc

he doesn't look surprised when Gohan gets super angry and goes SSJ2, in fact he looks happy and smug. he knew

this is based on the manga; I think the anime added a extra filler scene of Gohan going SSJ with the SSJ2 electricity aura in the ROSAT for a second, to further drive the point home

DBS is strange when it comes to writing side characters. Goten is studying. Because Pilaf gang and Trunks are doing what exactly that he needed to be written out?

Pilaf gang is germane to the story because of Future Mai. Trunks is there to watch his future self which makes sense. Goten is just Trunks' friend who isn't alive in the future. without giving young Trunks a reason to fight and fuse, Goten is not needed here

Just watched the latest episode... wtf?

Goku FORGOT Senzu beans... did Goku get dumber between Z and Super? He'd never do that shit in Z. Sure, giving one to a major antagonist to prove a point is one thing but at least he remembered to bring them!

Slaythe

In Z Goku's defense, ssj2 Gohan was about 3 or 4 times stronger than perfect Cell.

He couldn't expect Gohan would refuse to fight since he never told his dad about his feelings.

And then he couldn't expect Gohan becoming sadistic and rebellious all of a sudden.

But Cell at 100% had no chance against Gohan.

I guess the only stupid thing was that Goku couldn't have one himself, but with a fighter like Gohan, you can understand why he assumed it wouldn't be needed.

I have to think that he knew of Gohan's SSJ2 form

he is all smugly confident Gohan can take on Cell, and once he gives up his turn on the cell games, he goes "Gohan you just gotta use that power that appears once you get angry". then he insists on it, going "our only hope is that Gohan shows up that power he has when he gets angry" and when Cell decides to piss Gohan off, Goku thinks to himself "yes Cell, this will be your mistake, making Gohan angry" etc etc

he doesn't look surprised when Gohan gets super angry and goes SSJ2, in fact he looks happy and smug. he knew

this is based on the manga; I think the anime added a extra filler scene of Gohan going SSJ with the SSJ2 electricity aura in the ROSAT for a second, to further drive the point home

Pilaf gang is germane to the story because of Future Mai. Trunks is there to watch his future self which makes sense. Goten is just Trunks' friend who isn't alive in the future. without giving young Trunks a reason to fight and fuse, Goten is not needed here

He knew that Gohan had tons of hidden potential in him that comes out in rage bursts,(everyone in the show knows this) he knew if Gohan could harness that power he'd be able to defeat Cell, that doesn't mean he knew that an actual brand spanking new transformation would occur or that one even exists, that's never been the case for Gohan's prior outburts.

and it doesn't even matter, the point is that Goku felt he got as strong as he could, he also felt he got Gohan as strong as he could which is why he left early and said going in another year would just be torture, proven when Vegeta doesn't make any progress.

Goku had reached his peak for the time being and decided to bet on Gohan's hidden potential, however it would manifest.(and later on Piccolo makes Goku realize it was wrong of him to do that as Gohan doesn't like fighting) In the end Goku got lucky Cell decided to be a dick and torture everyone.

NeonZ

Was that said anywhere ?

Vegeta couldn't hold his breathe 5 minutes ?

Hard to believe when Goku fought Beerus 8 hours in space.

It's stated in both tv show and movie. Well, they don't actually say that Vegeta died because he couldn't breath, but they say Freeza survived because he didn't need to breath.

DBS is strange when it comes to writing side characters. Goten is studying. Because Pilaf gang and Trunks are doing what exactly that he needed to be written out?
I think they've been trying to avoid making the Son family appear together often due to all of them being voiced by Nozawa. Gohan was the only character that got pretty much a reduced role in the BoGs adaptation, and, although they increased his role in the Revival F episodes - note that he gets most of that extra screentime when Goku wasn't around. Goten's biggest scenes in the BoGs arc are all before Goku arrives too - and, for example, when they appear together in that Copy Vegeta arc, they barely interact with each other.

olympia

Just watched the latest episode... wtf?

Goku FORGOT Senzu beans... did Goku get dumber between Z and Super? He'd never do that shit in Z. Sure, giving one to a major antagonist to prove a point is one thing but at least he remembered to bring them!

I get that people are annoyed by this and it's a legitimate criticism, but i think it does need to be said that goku and vegeta did not really consider black to be a super serious threat

ElFly

senzu beans would only have made the asskicking last longer

He knew that Gohan had tons of hidden potential in him that comes out in rage bursts,(everyone in the show knows this) he knew if Gohan could harness that power he'd be able to defeat Cell, that doesn't mean he knew that an actual brand spanking new transformation would occur or that one even exists, that's never been the case for Gohan's prior outburts.

he knew or at the very least had strong suspicions; staying as SSJ1 as long as possible, as to make anger being able to trigger a second form of SSJ was a logical step; if we saw how he got SSJ3, chances are he just stood around as SSJ2 for a year or something

again, Goku is the only one not surprised when SSJ2 happens

and it doesn't even matter, the point is that Goku felt he got as strong as he could, he also felt he got Gohan as strong as he could which is why he left early and said going in another year would just be torture, proven when Vegeta doesn't make any progress.

Goku had reached his peak for the time being and decided to bet on Gohan's hidden potential, however it would manifest.(and later on Piccolo makes Goku realize it was wrong of him to do that as Gohan doesn't like fighting) In the end Goku got lucky Cell decided to be a dick and torture everyone.

Vegeta doesn't make much progress cause he is dumb about training. the second time he even goes alone into the ROSAT, leaving the useful resource of Future Trunks as a sparring partner behind

didn't even copy the technique of staying as SSJ1 for as long as possible. who knows how much it took him to become SSJ2. chances are he got there the week before the Buu tournament, lol

granted, the afterlife makes things easier, but still it was Goku the one who got SSJ3. I find hard to believe Goku would not have gotten SSJ2 with more ROSAT time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom