• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

Oneironaut

Neo Member
The lens flare is a bit much, but this game is gorgeous. The story is good so far as well, although I'm wishing that I had gone back and replayed Dreamfall before playing this.

Karak

The lens flare is a bit much, but this game is gorgeous. The story is good so far as well, although I'm wishing that I had gone back and replayed Dreamfall before playing this.

Ya they sort of went with a Star Trek look but to me it makes it feel very atmospheric and almost blade runner like. It really adds to the overall feel of the world.

teiresias

I haven't played past Chapter One - and performance was fine there - but given the performance talk about the game later I'm wondering if it would help if I put off playing this until I can finally get my hands on a 970 or 980 (I'm running a 680 right now), or is the game just in need of optimization and that won't really help?

In any event, these are games I'll play through my life so they'll get to a point where everything can run it without a sweat (so long as there's BC and it can run it at all).

Karak

I haven't played past Chapter One - and performance was fine there - but given the performance talk about the game later I'm wondering if it would help if I put off playing this until I can finally get my hands on a 970 or 980 (I'm running a 680 right now), or is the game just in need of optimization and that won't really help?

In any event, these are games I'll play through my life so they'll get to a point where everything can run it without a sweat (so long as there's BC and it can run it at all).

I run a 980 and I had no end of fluctuations. Just an FYI. I think that is something that may be with us for a long while.

epmode

The other big Unity game I have, Might and Magic 10, has similar performance problems regardless of hardware. My ENTIRELY UNEDUCATED opinion is that Unity doesn't handle large scale games very well.

jb1234

The other big Unity game I have, Might and Magic 10, has similar performance problems regardless of hardware. My ENTIRELY UNEDUCATED opinion is that Unity doesn't handle large scale games very well.

Yeah, Might and Magic 10 is a mess, to the point where I had to stop playing it.

Yarbskoo

I backed this and have the game sitting in my Steam library, but I can't play it because I never got around to starting up Dreamfall, and I've been wanting to replay the Longest Journey as well since I've forgotten some of the story details.

Oh well, maybe by the time I get around to it, it'll be completely finished and polished.

Karak

Well in some technical forums it does seem like Unity has issues with those particular areas anyway. So its not super surprising.

Feep

Banned
My ENTIRELY EDUCATED opinion is that you are correct.

Yamauchi

Banned
Good looking game. Great music. I'm enjoying it so far.

A few thoughts:

1) I was a KS backer and never did receive any info on distribution. I wouldn't have known how to get my steam voucher had I not checked this thread.

2)I do have to say that I am a bit disappointed that it looks like they're trying to re-implement the action-y elements that were so criticized in Dreamfall. I really would be happy with just a gorgeous 3D point and click.

No other major complaints. As far as performance is concerned, I had to put the settings on Medium and reduce the resolution a bit starting at Chapter 2.

epmode

2)I do have to say that I am a bit disappointed that it looks like they're trying to re-implement the action-y elements that were so criticized in Dreamfall.

Where? There's no combat and no stealth. I've seen one other section that ended in a character death because I didn't move fast enough but the game instantly rewound about 15 seconds so I could try again. Everything else is stress-free.

1) I was a KS backer and never did receive any info on distribution. I wouldn't have known how to get my steam voucher had I not checked this thread.

They may not have emailed you personally but the key situation was discussed in several backer updates. I assume you turned off your email notification for Kickstarter updates.

I am noticing some lower framerates in Ch. 3 but honestly, it's completely playable for me (I'm not that sensitive to 35-40 FPS). It's impressive in terms of scope, which may be bogging down the performance some.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Intro spoilers-

They really
did that to April
, didn't they?

I guess that's why
there was no mention of her during development. Damn you, Ragnar.. :(

jb1234

Intro spoilers-

They really
did that to April
, didn't they?

I guess that's why

Well, they mentioned that the voice actress for April was returning so I'm not convinced that she's actually dead. Of course, it could be a smoke screen. Who knows?

aasoncott

Okay, BOOK ONE DONE.

Spoiler-free thoughts:

Yeah, predictably, it's fantastic. It's an intriguing start to the story, and though it moves a little slow, the characters are interesting enough and--like I said earlier--the dialogue is absolutely excellent. Love Zoe's new VO--it suits her really well.

Performance was iffy. In closed areas, it was great. In the one large area, it swung between bad and dismal, but this was on a GTX260. Sadly, there's a major lens flare bug that's super annoying, but it's obviously a bug they know about, since it's not present in every map.

My only real problem (aside from the lens flare glitch) is that, well... (this isn't really a spoiler, but if you want to go in totally blind, you might want to ignore)
it's really, really obvious when you run into "hey, this was a person that backed us on Kickstarter!"
It really breaks the immersion. I just wish that stuff wasn't in there.

Now, spoiler'd thoughts:

SHITBOT SHITBOT SHITBOT SHITBOT

Really, really liked how the handed the decisions at the end--felt a lot more cinematic than Telltale's summary graph. And really drove home that consequences will be very real, even though you haven't seen them yet.

As someone with a young child, the ending made me actually laugh out loud.

As did Shitbot.

SHITBOT

And finally, in regards to the final scene (which, if you didn't really get what was happening, might actually be a spoiler)--

So, Saga is the next incarnation of the White Dragon? Nice.

Kimaka

Interlude
That is one huge ass baby. Weird segment.

I really do hope that "Your choices have consequences" does manifest in some way outside of a changed dialogue or two like most C&C games handle it. Some of the choices you can make seems like it can affect both relationships you have with people and the plot. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Intro spoilers-

They really
did that to April
, didn't they?

I guess that's why
I'm going to ignore that and hope that she is still alive.

derFeef

Anyone tried the German VO? I usually play games in English but with adventure games I sometimes make an exception and play them in my native language to grasp everything there is.

Taruranto

Will take me a while to warm-up to Zoe (again...). I don't think the writing surrounding her character is strong like April and I can't help but compare her to, duh, April.

I wish there was some sort of in-game database to at least give the player a refresh of the later events. I really have hard times remembering some of the minor characters from Dreamfall, especially the ones involved with Kivan.

dreamfall

Lovelovelove the new voice actress for Zoë- her sarcastic delivery is so perfect!

In Europolis,
adventures with Shitbot were fantastic! So many good lines! Mila is so crazy intense!

I find myself screenshotting subtitles, the writing is so on point.

I'm on a business trip so I haven't been able to download this yet. I backed a lot of games but this is the one I want the most. Given what people are saying about performanCe I would be surprised if I can run it anyway. I plan to get a new rig in the new year so I may have to wait until then.

Tommyhawk

Intro spoilers-

They really
did that to April
, didn't they?

I guess that's why

I'm absolutely sure that she'll come back.

Right after the scene with the boat we get the scene were a baby is born and we see a mysterious portal. So I guess that she is reborn in that baby (Reborn is also the name of book 1).

Besides, "The longest Journey home" would be quite pointless without her.

Taruranto

Running around not-Newport, kinda feels like a step back after Dreamfall, with
Amnesiac Zoe
and all...

Can't wait to see Crow back. <3

VmTcd2r.jpg

4vHXwi2.jpg

Guys, please be careful about talking around spoilers, or only tagging part of a sentence. It's really easy to deduce what's tagged that way from context. When in doubt, be liberal with your spoiler tags; there are a number of people who will not be getting to this immediately but will still want to read impressions or discuss the series.

Thanks.

Kimaka

Lovelovelove the new voice actress for Zoë- her sarcastic delivery is so perfect!

In Europolis,
adventures with Shitbot were fantastic! So many good lines! Mila is so crazy intense!

I find myself screenshotting subtitles, the writing is so on point.

What is
Shitbot? I seem to have missed that.

Top Bottom