• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

danowat

Banned
Umm... teach me! Seriously, tips?

One big thing that seems to set DC apart from other games, is that you are very severely punished for going off track and touching the barriers (although this does appear to have been toned down, there is at least one track where wall riding is a legitimate way of going faster), aim to stay away from the sides of the track at all times, even the dirt and gravel sucks a heck of a lot of speed away.

Many people try to brake far too late in an attempt to be fast, this is mostly a futile way to drive, most corners are better when you sacrifice entry speed for apex and exit speed, slow-in, fast-out, especially those with a bit of straight after it (ok, so the fastest was is fast-in fast-out, but lets keep it simple for now).

So, brake smoothly in a straight line, don't wrench the steering about, hit the apex and accelerate out carrying as much speed through the apex as possible, you DO NOT want to lift off the throttle once you have started accelerating out of a corner, if you do, then you either went in too fast, missed the apex, or started to accelerate too early.

Smoothness is key, keep cool, keep smooth.

Trying to get my new club some points.

idgJMItT7E393.jpg

Got us past level 12, and halfway to 13. If this score holds for another 7 hours we get some more. Booyah.

There are some cracking challenges floating about at the mo, having a lot of fun trying to beat DHC-Shannow!
It took me 18 attempts to beat your Audi challenge around Autodromo! You absolutely nailed those last few bends, I'd go in ahead of you and come out behind every time!

No you silly dog that's not your ghost :) But I get you, I always fuck up on the last sector.

You can still try to beat me, a nice touch about challenges is that our times get uploaded on the time trial leaderboards by default.

Hmm think I'll pass on that thanks lol, spent far too much of my life trying to beat you around that damn track already! God I hate that chicane!

Dammit!!!, how much did you beat it by!?!?!

Not much, only about a tenth I think and now you can use my ghost to improve on the first 2 sectors where I was a bit quicker :-( This is so addictive, I couldn't stop until I'd got the lead :)

Merun

One big thing that seems to set DC apart from other games, is that you are very severely punished for going off track and touching the barriers (although this does appear to have been toned down, there is at least one track where wall riding is a legitimate way of going faster), aim to stay away from the sides of the track at all times, even the dirt and gravel sucks a heck of a lot of speed away.

Many people try to brake far too late in an attempt to be fast, this is mostly a futile way to drive, most corners are better when you sacrifice entry speed for apex and exit speed, slow-in, fast-out, especially those with a bit of straight after it (ok, so the fastest was is fast-in fast-out, but lets keep it simple for now).

So, brake smoothly in a straight line, don't wrench the steering about, hit the apex and accelerate out carrying as much speed through the apex as possible, you DO NOT want to lift off the throttle once you have started accelerating out of a corner, if you do, then you either went in too fast, missed the apex, or started to accelerate too early.

Smoothness is key, keep cool, keep smooth.

His tips request was in response to my drift post, which I replied on the previous page with drifting tips. But yeah those are good tips for normal driving.

danowat

Banned
His tips request was in response to my drift post, which I replied on the previous page with drifting tips. But yeah those are good tips for normal driving.

sorry, didn't realise it was drift specific.

Personally, I find the drift physics a little bit squiffy, highlights certain flaws with the tyre model (in which I'd be interested in which tyre model Evo Studios are using, Pacejka?), far too much grip drop off at the extreme edge of the slip curve.

Also I forgot, Leagues! 5 GAF Leagues, teams entered based on voodoo science, points for challenges and then every week or 2 2 clubs get promoted/relegated. Wouldn't take too long for the top dogs to be fighting it out in the Premier league while us Dagenham and Redbridge lit can fight over the scraps at the bottom.

Leagues would be fantastic, would prolly have to split them up into time zones tho.

Club vs club races would be brilliantl too, maybe with an option for the opposition to be all ghost cars so you can only crash / hold up your own team.

How about rally events on the tour mode for each country - so time trials on each p2p track one after the other like a real rally. The leaderboards for that would be so competitive

Stoze

Hey gaf, just got the game earlier this week, internet has been out for a few days so I wasn't able to check out the online features until today. Just been doing single player events, and I've really been enjoying the game so far. Initially I thought the cars felt too weighty, but those were just the hot hatches. Feels great to me.

I'm still having trouble with steeper turns, I keep wanting to do fancy drifts with the ebrake around them when I should probably just decelerate into the corner/apex and gun it out. Either way I usually can't go a race without fucking one or two up. Definitely getting better though.

I guess I should join a club? Can't help feeling like a bunch of the points I've gotten in campaign were wasted because I played offline and not in a club, though I'm not sure if it works like that. New weather effects look gorgeous by the way.

Merun

sorry, didn't realise it was drift specific.

Personally, I find the drift physics a little bit squiffy, highlights certain flaws with the tyre model (in which I'd be interested in which tyre model Evo Studios are using, Pacejka?), far too much grip drop off at the extreme edge of the slip curve.

All the drift I did in a sim years ago ended in the wall, so I can't really compare except perhaps to Ridge Racer lol.

JamboGT

I love Driveclub but hate the drifting, every drift event makes me sad. I can 3 star them easily enough but they just take away enjoyment.

Punk do you not follow any kind of motorsports?

Every time you use this, I think you are calling me out. lol And no, I don't watch motorsports.

Apex = the exact middle of the turn.
image01.gif

A chicane is a series of short turns.

Thanks for that graphic... I think I figured cornering out by watching other cars, but all that info helps.

And a thanks to Merun and Danowat for the beginner tips/video. I'll let you know when I get the hang of those actions.
Probably never.

Is this the book Shaneus?

http://www.evild.com/guides/Forza.Motorsport.3.Official.Game.Guide.pdf

Watching the ghosts through multiple runs has really helped me on my turns.

Absolutely! I have noticed that you are beating some of my times, too, or that I cannot beat some of your posted times. Since we are the beginners here, I like to think of you as direct competiton. lol

Mitch

Banned
Absolutely! I have noticed that you are beating some of my times, too, or that I cannot beat some of your posted times. Since we are the beginners here, I like to think of you as direct competiton. lol
Right on! Healthy competition will keep me coming back. I'm trying to get every star completed before I move into the more advanced tracks/challenges. It's a great way to get used to certain cars, tracks and driving in general.

I guess I should join a club?

Yes, join a club! Most of us of have open spaces, so just ask.

Right on! Healthy competition will keep me coming back. I'm trying to get every star completed before I move into the more advanced tracks/challenges. It's a great way to get used to certain cars, tracks and driving in general.

For the Rookie tour, I made sure to get all stars before attempting the next level. The Amateur tour is so much more difficult, though, so I don't know if that is going to be possible. Let me know when you move to Semi-Pro and I'll follow. Oh, I am gunning for your times/drift scores today and the challenges sent by DBT. lol

Mitch

Banned
For the Rookie tour, I made sure to get all stars before attempting the next level. The Amateur tour is so much more difficult, though, so I don't know if that is going to be possible. Let me know when you move to Semi-Pro and I'll follow. Oh, I am gunning for your times/drift scores today and the challenges sent by DBT. lol
Good deal. I'll finish up the Rookie Tour tonight and the last few from The Amateur tour. Should be a fun evening.

Good deal. I'll finish up the Rookie Tour tonight and the last few from The Amateur tour. Should be a fun evening.

Re: Rookie Tour: I cannot beat your times on Munnar and the VW Challenge, the one in black/yellow at the bottom. I'll get back to it later... and I still have a bit to go on Amateur--even further if I want to hit all the stars.

Merun: I think I have gotten a bit better at drifting. I can start the drifts, but controlling them is hit or miss. I end up spinning around, or drifting off the track.

Danowat: I see what you are saying about cornering. I think I am braking too early-- in your challenges I lose a lot of speed/time in the corners.

danowat

Banned
Danowat: I see what you are saying about cornering. I think I am braking too early-- in your challenges I lose a lot of speed/time in the corners.

Select a car and a track you are comfortable with, send me a challenge and I can give you a few pointers if you like.

Or upload some footage to youtube.

Merun

Merun: I think I have gotten a bit better at drifting. I can start the drifts, but controlling them is hit or miss. I end up spinning around, or drifting off the track.

Without seeing it, I can only have a vague idea of what is happening. If you spin around, then you steered too much, and may need to counter steer earlier. If you drift off the track, either you need to throttle down or drift too late in the corner.

As danowat suggest, some footage would help me understand better what is wrong.

IKizzLE

Is it possible to do 6v6 club vs club online races right now?
Would love to do that over hot lapping. True test of skill under pressure.

Without seeing it, I can only have a vague idea of what is happening. If you spin around, then you steered too much, and may need to counter steer earlier. If you drift off the track, either you need to throttle down or drift too late in the corner.

As danowat suggest, some footage would help me understand better what is wrong.

When does one start the drift?

Merun

When does one start the drift?

Ouch, that's one tough to answer, as I just start when I feel like I can pull it off ( correct speed and entering angle ). Sometimes it's before a drift section, most of the time it's when you enter, and sometime it's a bit after entering if you need more speed.

dano1

A Sheep
Personally I think your prolly better off sticking to the race and time trial events for now as those will improve your car control then go back to the drifts when you've got that mastered.

That's what I'm doing. Going back to drift events at the end. Back and forth just doesn't work.

Mitch

Banned
Personally I think your prolly better off sticking to the race and time trial events for now as those will improve your car control then go back to the drifts when you've got that mastered.
Sound advice. There's plenty of content to do aside from drifting at the moment.

Ouch, that's one tough to answer

You are supposed to start the turn as wide as possible though, right?

I know, but I like the drift events. And I like going back and forth... sometimes I am stuck on a tough race and the drift events are a good break. I definitely notice that it take a few laps to adjust from one to the other though.

And I know that it is only in the Amateur Tour, but it is nice having the top time out of all your friends. So I sent that race as a challenge. I hope you guys don't mind me cluttering up your challenge menu with a bunch of early/noob races.

Merun

You are supposed to start the turn as wide as possible though, right?

Can't think of any instance where I didn't, so yes, start it wide, from the outside of the corner. Hitting the apex though is not compulsory at all for a drift, or at least with DC's current scoring. I just do it for fun.

And I also like mixing race, time trial and drift :)

Oh yes, drifting is the cancer of driving games. I guess I liked it when I was 15 though.
Stick with it. I hated it at first too, but now I'm finding them oddly addictive. Its gotten so the only challenges I even attempt are drift challenges.

I ended up winning that drift challenge I posted myself on earlier, though. Then went and nailed another one, though that's got about 6 and a half hours to go. But we're at nearly lvl 14 now. I been busy.

Can't think of any instance where I didn't, so yes, start it wide, from the outside of the corner. Hitting the apex though is not compulsory at all for a drift, or at least with DC's current scoring. I just do it for fun.

And I also like mixing race, time trial and drift :)

Okay, so let me attempt to explain... I added you on psn so I'll send you a challenge so you can see it: I enter the corner, hit the ebrake and hold the stick in the direction of the corner. Once the drift starts, I lower throttle, or brake, to control, and then manipulate the throttle, ebrake, and brake to control through the turn?

Stick with it. I hated it at first too, but now I'm finding them oddly addictive. Its gotten so the only challenges I even attempt are drift challenges.

I ended up winning that drift challenge I posted myself on earlier, though. Then went and nailed another one, though that's got about 6 and a half hours to go.

I'm going to attempt that challenge for the lulz.

The rules for drifting are going to be revised in the next patch if that's what you mean.

Good to know because going by the ghosts on some of these drift community challenges, people are definitely exploiting the drift zone scoring system. Just about every ghost of the highest scoring driver shows the car going off track and spinning out, then going backwards to boost their score by staying in the drift zone. It's really annoying to drift around a corner cleanly, maintaining my speed for the speed section only to see -4000 to the ghost that just spun out off the track and is clearly spending several minutes boosting.

viveks86

Okay, so let me attempt to explain... I added you on psn so I'll send you a challenge so you can see it: I enter the corner, hit the ebrake and hold the stick in the direction of the corner. Once the drift starts, I lower throttle, or brake, to control, and then manipulate the throttle, ebrake, and brake to control through the turn?

You enter the corner, release throttle, hit the e-brake for not more than half a second and hold the stick in the direction of the corner. This will start the drift. Once you are approaching 90 degrees angle to the track, you hold the stick in the opposite direction of the corner and maintain as much throttle as you can (quite often full throttle helps rack up a huge drift score, but you need to play by ear a little). You will need to manipulate steering a bit as well to keep the car on track, but no need to manipulate brakes once you have started drifting.

Yeah I used to feather the brakes as I drifted but found decreasing the speed like that did not result in good drift scores. I try to go into a drift with as high a speed as possible. But yeah, on some turns its actually better if you don't go into them at full throttle. Its trial and error, really.

You enter the corner, release throttle, hit the e-brake for not more than half a second and hold the stick in the direction of the corner. This will start the drift. Once you are approaching 90 degrees angle to the track, you hold the stick in the opposite direction of the corner and maintain as much throttle as you can (quite often full throttle helps rack up a huge drift score, but you need to play by ear a little). You will need to manipulate steering a bit as well to keep the car on track, but no need to manipulate brakes once you have started drifting.

Haha. So basic, yet once I start to drift, my brain goes crazy and I start flicking the stick in every direction to try to maintain control. Thanks for that.

Its trial and error, really.

More error at the moment.

And I just beat an Evo Studio time on a Rookie Tour event. It's like riding at the front of the short bus, but I'll take it.

Merun

Funny how everyone has their own way to drift. I don't release throttle when I enter, but I may lift a bit depending on the corner. Also, I do brake before and/or during, but it's rare.

Indeed I forgot to mention, but tire noise and vibration do help at understanding your drift, mainly when you will get your grip back.

DBT85

I am clueless as to reference.

CM Punk (a wrestlist) recently quit the WWE and joined UFC. Shortly after, Jason David Frank, a MMA/UFCist who also played the Green Ranger in Power Rangers, called Punk out to fight him. There was a thread about it on GAF.

That's what I thought you meant :p

Funny how everyone has their own way to drift. I don't release throttle when I enter, but I may lift a bit depending on the corner. Also, I do brake before and/or during, but it's rare.

Indeed I forgot to mention, but tire noise and vibration do help at understanding your drift, mainly when you will get your grip back.

I just sent a challenge. The first two corners were pretty good, but I fucked the final one up something awful. lol

CM Punk (a wrestlist) recently quit the WWE and joined UFC. Shortly after, Jason David Frank, a MMA/UFCist who also played the Green Ranger in Power Rangers, called Punk out to fight him. There was a thread about it on GAF.

That's what I thought you meant :p

Haha, you learn something new everyday.

viveks86

Yeah. There seem to be a lot of techniques that work well. One of the reasons I really enjoy experimenting with drift. I always complete drift challenges first before races/time trials. Don't necessarily top them always, but I try to get in the top 10 at least.

Anyone have any tips on leveling?

I'm around level 37 or 38. I know about looking at accolades and whatnot.

Just keep doing a variety of challenges and/or MP. As long as you try different tracks and cars, you will hit most accolades which will help you level up real fast. I've barely touched single events at all and I maxed out a week ago.

Top Bottom