• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I can't be the only one who was disappointed slightly right?

I mean do people really think the movie deserves all the reviews? because I was insane hype after those scores.

it was average at best

HiiiLife

I mean do people really think the movie deserves all the reviews? because I was insane hype after those scores.

it was average at best

There are a few people in both threads who thought it was average. So no. You're not alone.

it was average at best
I wouldn't call it average. It was a well made film. But it also has flaws and is in no way a masterpiece. Nolan's directing was on fucking point. My problems with it still have to do with the script. That he paired the script down means I didn't find his storytelling weaknesses as intrusive, but they were still very much present.

The short of it is that Nolan is a fantastic director that needs to stop writing his own scripts.

a masterpiece? Ok maybe not

I can't think really of a better movie this year though

I was completely with this all the way, my interest never wavered

it was average at best

I just went in based on expectations of the trailer and wasn't disappointed. This is why I never pay attention to reviews.

I'm glad to finally have more people to talk about this movie with.

Btw,
did the voice on the radio in the fighter planes sound like Micheal Caine to anyone else?

It is him. He's listed in the credits. No way Nolan wasn't go to find some way to drop a little Caine in there somewhere.

The only problem I have with the movie is
that Tom Hardy ditched his Spitfire in enemy territory. Why didn't he just bail out near the boats and get a lift home?

It made for a nice bittersweet ending, but I wanted him to be ok dammit!

that Tom Hardy ditched his Spitfire in enemy territory. Why didn't he just bail out near the boats and get a lift home?

The entire ending was very peculiar.
I wish it ended with Hardy's plane just going off into the distance, a symbolic representation of how this is just the start of the war. (Though his getting captured does that much more bluntly.) I'm not sure we even needed any more closure with the main group after we learned they were rescued.

I think this is one of Nolan's best films.

Not something I'll rewatch often like Memento or The Prestige, but what he set out to accomplish. He did it better here then his other work. I really didn't have much problems like I do in his other films.

Also I swear I heard Harry curse twice. I thought the limit was 1.
looks like Micheal Cain is in this movie.

HiiiLife

I wanted to say it was
for sentimental reasons he stayed with the plane....until he burned it down anyway. Who knows. Both pilots were about to eject then closed the cockpit lol.

The entire ending was very peculiar.
I wish it ended with Hardy's plane just going off into the distance, a symbolic representation of how this is just the start of the war. (Though his getting captured does that much more bluntly.) I'm not sure we even needed any more closure with the main group after we learned they were rescued.

I'm not sure if we needed more from the main group after Styles said "All we did was survive" but I rather loved the incorporation of the Churchill speech. It's a hopeful moment, and the few bits of hopeful moments interspersed throughout the movie were some of my favorite parts. That was the one moment where the Zimmer score really shined for me too

I'm not sure if we needed more from the main group after Styles said "All we did was survive" but I rather loved the incorporation of the Churchill speech. It's a hopeful moment, and the few bits of hopeful moments interspersed throughout the movie were some of my favorite parts. That was the one moment where the Zimmer score really shined for me too

Mixed with Elgar's Nimrod. I could hardly keep the tears back.

I wanted to say it was
for sentimental reasons he stayed with the plane....until he burned it down anyway. Who knows. Both pilots were about to eject then closed the cockpit lol.

Yeah I was like "nooo you fool, get out!"

Javaman

I thought it was an ok movie, but the editing was god aweful how it kept jumping around in time. Once I got the hang of it and figured out they were showing the same scene from different perspectives it made more sense but cutting from day to night and back though? Terrible idea. Also the backgrounds for the planes. They kept vocalizing altitude switches from 500ft to 1000ft but the over the shoulder view was only at a couple hundred feet. Very distracting,. It would have been much better with more consistant editing.

I loved how deafening the sounds were. Like someone else said, war is LOUD. They could have done a better job mixing the voices though. I had to struggle to understand 1/2 of the words.
3/5

jtb

Banned
Very conflicted on Dunkirk.

An apolitical war film is no war film at all. A brilliant execution - particularly the opening fifteen minutes, which is perfect - at the service of facile ideas, if any ideas at all. Curiously bloodless and wildly disjointed in tone as the film progressed.

As usual, the dialogue is horribly mixed and incomprehensible at points.

Also, did anyone notice some crazy color correction issues in IMAX as the film switched between IMAX and normal film? The IMAX scenes seemed way brighter on my screen.

The movie is gorgeous. Like Nolan deserves a Best Director nom this is an amazing looking film. Don’t even dare think about nominating the screenplay. Felt the different times was utterly needless and the characters were utterly forgettable. Granted I think this film was definitely more about the event than the characters, but it irked me something fierce.

M.W.

Great film, but I also had trouble hearing some of the dialogue. Nolan!!!

I think it was intentional. It's war. This film is basically putting us into the action. Nolan knows what he's doing. It's like faulting Memento for not being able to follow it.

jtb

Banned
also, was this PG13?

I can't get over how bloodless (both literally and figuratively) this was

I think it was intentional. It's war. This film is basically putting us into the action. Nolan knows what he's doing. It's like faulting Memento for not being able to follow it.

This is an absurd defense.

I don't even think the film needed dialogue (the best parts had none), but, uh, if you're going to have dialogue, have dialogue.

I missed a good chunk of the dialogue but unlike Interstellar, or Inception, you could much easily infer what they meant, because the actions would usually make it clear soon after.

frontovik

Banned
Just sharing my thoughts from the review thread..

I thought it was good, full of suspense, and certainly captured the horrors of war in a unique way. Those who glorify war should certainly view this film for a reality check. It was a really loud film as well with plenty of scenes that startled me .. Nolan must really enjoy keeping the audience awake.

That being said, initially I thought the film had a slow burn and I was starting to regret seeing it day one. However, it definitely picks up halfway and the climax is certainly a rival for Interstellar's docking scene.

Zimmer's score was top notch;some excellent ambient music, but surprisingly not too memorable compared to his other works.

Perhaps it was the heat of the moment .. but certain characters do silly things in the film that perplexed me ..
such as trying to plug the gaps in the boat while they're being shot at..

Overall, I thought it was a very profound film which poignantly showed the glories and horrors of war without delving too much into melodrama or patriotism. It was a cold and brutal knock to the senses.

4/5

I'm in the camp that this movie deserves any and all nominations for editing. There are 3 stories happening and the weaving and intertwining was so fucking good. The sound, score, visuals all added into the most intense/stressful movie I have ever seen. 70MM was fucking fantastic as well.

Fantastic fucking movie.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes. They all have terrible sound mixing when it comes to dialogue.
Interstellar was HORRIBLE in this respect. I don't remember Inception, the Prestige, or the Dark Knight movies having the issue. It's been a while since I've watched those, though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is a terrible post. I love his movies but this has been a huge problem since tdkr. It was awful in interstellar but at least you could make out what they were saying. Here the character's speak in a thick British accent on top of an overbearing hans Zimmer soundtrack. There are several quiet scenes in the movie and yet every scene has a soundtrack playing over it.

Nolan doesn't care is a good defense. Your post isn't.

jtb

Banned
Also, question for people who saw the film about something I thought was obvious, but apparently wasn't?

Did you think the French soldier was not English when he buried the other soldier and puts on his shoe at the very beginning?

I thought it was pretty clear at the time, but then I got into an argument with my friend leaving the theater about it lol

Also,
mole/mole is a pun? Anyone??? No? :(

Tookay

Very good movie from an editing/directing standpoint.

I just wish Nolan would get off his love for under-mixed dialogue. He might think it's servicing the movie, but it's just frustrating.

Necro

Banned
Did all the infantry have to be dark haired white dudes?

This will win whatever sound award comes out, the Ju 87 engine screech was so haunting and terrifying.

Angel_DvA

Also, question for people who saw the film about something I thought was obvious, but apparently wasn't?

Did you think the French soldier was not English when he buried the other soldier and puts on his shoe at the very beginning?

I thought it was pretty clear at the time, but then I got into an argument with my friend leaving the theater about it lol

Also,
mole/mole is a pun? Anyone??? No? :(

No, I thought he wanted to get dry shoes

Did all the infantry have to be dark haired white dudes?

This will win whatever sound award comes out, the Ju 87 engine screech was so haunting and terrifying.

Well they're for the most part British, you can see Black people in the French army though...

Dear God. If you guys can, make sure to check out the IMAX 70mm version of this

The quick shock of this aspect ratio and full screen of the opening shot and then many other sequences such as the dogfights makes this the most beautiful thing I've seen in theaters since tree of life

Even though I like baby driver more this one has gotta be the best theater experience since 2 years ago with Fury Road (Tom Hardy da gawd). I'm gonna have to see it again while its still in imax.

And dat Zimmer score. The triumphant track during some of the uplifting moments was nice, Brian Eno-esque. And the tense scenes called to mind some of the tracks from Reznor

DrEvil

not a medical professional
The narrative style was confusing at first but ended up being kind of neat.

I loved the disorienting camera angles, seeing the water level 'rise' from the top left to the bottom right of the screen was very uniquely shot.

Damn this was such a strange Nolan movie but I dug it. The narrative direction was so on point with the interwoven stories and editing. And my god the audio and visuals were breathtaking.

DMczaf

NOLANNNNNNNNNN!!!!

butler.png

This movie gotta have best sound, best director and cinematography awards locked up.

The opening gunfire was terrifying. Thought I was gonna go deaf. But then you get used to it. In the absence of gore this movie manages to still make the whole situation scary with the use of sound and holding the tension.

Realeza

Banned
Thought it was great. Visuals and audio were obviously phenomenal. I also liked the direction of each "story", and how they all fit together perfectly for the climax. Another excellent piece for Nolan's portfolio.

My friend thought it was ok. I absolutely loved it!

Loved the non-linear approach to the film's storytelling and really enjoyed how we were part of the action and it was so chaotic.

Realeza

Banned
For those who have seen the film: is it kid friendly? I'm considering whether or not to take two of my kids, ages 11 and eight years old.

If this film is the A/V masterpiece that I keep hearing about, I would like them to see it. On the other hand I wonder if it would overwhelm them.

Why would you take your children to watch this, dude?

Oddduck

Unfortunately, 70 mm IMAX isn't an option in Chicago right now. Renovations to the Navy Pier Imax screen fell behind schedule.

But there are four theaters showing the movie in standard 70 mm.

Here's my question. How does the movie look in standard (non-Imax) 70 mm?

ayeorkean

Have a pounding headache after watching this movie... Saw it in IMAX, visually not impressive, just the same ww2 scenes from other movies in higher resolution. Music was awful, clicky noises with and droning whining noises.

Have a pounding headache after watching this movie... Saw it in IMAX, visually not impressive, just the same ww2 scenes from other movies in higher resolution. Music was awful, clicky noises with and droning whining noises.

kill me now

why do I keep reading this forum for movie reviews

Top Bottom