• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

WriterGK

Character or narrative driven criticisms continue to be utterly baffling for this movie.

Is it wilful ignorance or..?

The "character" here is surely the enormous scale and impact of the entire event itself. I thought it had been pointed out specifically by Nolan himself that the point of this film wasn't to tell the story of individuals.

So we just have to take it and like it? And the enormous scale is a bit too much credit. We never even seen a single enemy person.

TheFuzz

So we just have to take it and like it? And the enormous scale is a bit too much credit. We never even seen a single enemy person.

Yeah, you saw quite a few, actually. You just weren't paying attention.

You're also the one who said the narrative structure spoiled things and "made you watch the same thing 2/3 times." I think you missed A LOT of what was going on.

I10 Edwards? I'm thinking of going to see it there again tomorrow. We saw the 70mm screening at AMC Gulf Pointe. They botched it and had to restart the movie in regular digital. Such a disappointment.

Is it worth seeing it at the Edwards? I assume since it's now Xenon it's not 1.45:1.

Yeah that one. I was going to watch the regular 70mm show at Edward's Greenway but bailed once I realized it wasn't the 70mm IMAX format. I think the movie was worth watching at IMAX at the Marquee since it's the best presentation we can get here in Houston. I'd suggest you get seats from the mid section and up since the screen is huge and it shows the correct 1.43:1 aspect ratio. I sat on the fourth row and it soured my experience just a little bit.

WriterGK

Yeah, you saw quite a few, actually. You just weren't paying attention.

You're also the one who said the narrative structure spoiled things and "made you watch the same thing 2/3 times." I think you missed A LOT of what was going on.

Yeah I did, so what? For example? What did I miss?

Yeah that one. I was going to watch the regular 70mm show at Edward's Greenway but bailed once I realized it wasn't the 70mm IMAX format. I think the movie was worth watching at IMAX at the Marquee since it's the best presentation we can get here in Houston. I'd suggest you get seats from the mid section and up since the screen is huge and it shows the correct 1.43:1 aspect ratio. I sat on the fourth row and it soured my experience just a little bit.
Thanks! Good to know it shows the right aspect ratio. I haven't been there since TDK I think. The greenway Edwards apparently ruined the 70mm Imax print they received for interstellar so I went to AMC to avoid any mishaps. That worked out well haha

Dunkirk is simply remarkable. It was everything I wanted and so much more. Hoyte van Hoytema's cinematography, of which is in a whole league of it's own, was masterful and well-crafted. Christopher Nolan's take on the famous evacuation of Dunkirk is incredibly chilling, powerful and emotional. It's not a film for everyone, as there is no melodrama with characters to make you relate, when instead, it only focuses on the insanity of the event as a whole, with every character practically being a supporting role -- which is simply perfect.

If you are a true lover of cinema and film in general, you shouldn't miss out on Dunkirk. It is the greatest love letter to the art in years and I can't recommend it enough. This is my opinion, so take it for what it is.

TheFuzz

Yeah I did, so what? For example? What did I miss?

the repetition of each event is showing you what you didn't see. For example, the down pilot and the capsized boat in the oil

There were also soldiers capturing Hardy and the U-Boat torpedo.

WriterGK

the repetition of each event is showing you what you didn't see. For example, the down pilot and the capsized boat in the oil

There were also soldiers capturing Hardy and the U-Boat torpedo.

Capturing Hardy I did see and did not miss at all lol. That was all the way at the end.

As for the first one yeah I saw those tings as well. Wasn't that special in my opinion.

Charcoal

I was paying attention. The only enemy we saw were those german planes. There was not a single german infantry soldier on screen. You heard/saw shots but never faces.
I think you may be missing the whole point of the movie. You shouldn't need to see faces in order to understand the situation, despair, etc.

Dunkirk is simply remarkable. It was everything I wanted and so much more. Wally Pfister's cinematography, of which is in a whole league of it's own, was masterful and well-crafted. Christopher Nolan's take on the famous evacuation of Dunkirk is incredibly chilling, powerful and emotional. It's not a film for everyone, as there is no melodrama with characters to make you relate, when instead, it only focuses on the insanity of the event as a whole, with every character practically being a supporting role -- which is simply perfect.

If you are a true lover of cinema and film in general, you shouldn't miss out on Dunkirk. It is the greatest love letter to the art in years and I can't recommend it enough. This is my opinion, so take it for what it is.
Oh man. Is he the guy that shot Deathblow?

jett

D-Member
Dunkirk is simply remarkable. It was everything I wanted and so much more. Wally Pfister's cinematography, of which is in a whole league of it's own, was masterful and well-crafted. Christopher Nolan's take on the famous evacuation of Dunkirk is incredibly chilling, powerful and emotional. It's not a film for everyone, as there is no melodrama with characters to make you relate, when instead, it only focuses on the insanity of the event as a whole, with every character practically being a supporting role -- which is simply perfect.

p.s. Wally Pfister pfisted himself and no longer does cinematography on Nolan's movies. Hoyte van Hoytema worked on Dunkirk (and Interstellar).

Thanks! Good to know it shows the right aspect ratio. I haven't been there since TDK I think. The greenway Edwards apparently ruined the 70mm Imax print they received for interstellar so I went to AMC to avoid any mishaps. That worked out well haha

Really? Oh wow, I guess I'm gonna avoid that cinema from now on. The Marquee has only messed up once that I can recall, and it wasn't that bad.

WriterGK

I think you may be missing the whole point of the movie. You shouldn't need to see faces in order to understand the situation, despair, etc.

Well understood the despair and such but for me it just wasn't working that much. It was working that it was okay from times to times. But I wasn't blown away by it. And I most certainly wouldn't give it a 9,4 what it used to have on imdb. The opening scene
with the soldiers being shot at and the one in the boat was quite awesome. But those thing with the navy boat being sinking through a torpedo I wasn't really feeling it at all and I saw it long coming.

Being trapped on a beach with the enemy at your back or being stuck in
a sinking destroyer
are far closer to hell on earth than most war films get.

Turning the movie into something more like Hacksaw Ridge would have completely missed the point of what Dunkirk is and represents. It's not about machine-gunning down hundreds of Nazi's or seeing body parts fly across the screen.

The reason for survival is to get home, to defend Britain from invasion. The entire post-rescue part
on the train pretty much spells this out with the reading of Churchill's speech and the reaction of the civilians.

Seems tonally dissonant with the rest of the film, especially with
that one pilot who wanted nothing more than to run away from the war (whatever happened to him, anyways? I figured they were setting up something during that one scene because he was the one recognizable dark-haired soldier due to not having any oil all over his face)

also the sound mixing made churchill's speech impossible to hear

WriterGK

That's one way of looking at it most certainly. But the soldier in the train himself said that they would be spit upon. And most of them themselves didn't feel proud of what they have done. They didn't fight back and basically only ''survived''.

Seems tonally dissonant with the rest of the film, especially with that one pilot who wanted nothing more than to run away from the war (whatever happened to him, anyways? I figured they were setting up something during that one scene because he was the one recognizable dark-haired soldier due to not having any oil all over his face)

You should really tag that.

number11

I've forgotten how amazing IMAX is. More movies needs to be shot with IMAX film.. or at least regular 70mm film.

There's that whole Netflix debate thread. Cinemas definitely should offer a more 'premium' service.. and this is one way of doing it.

duckroll

Just got back. Even in Liemax it is a glorious experience. This is definitely an "experience" movie though, much like Gravity. It's about being put in the middle of a situation and seeing it through. The sound design and cinematography were great, the audio was very aggressive and intense. The scale is probably the biggest Nolan has done yet and it really makes the film feel huge. Tons of extras, lots of large scale scenes which feel BIG. I don't think the time perspective issue was confusing, but I also don't think it was really necessary. Definitely a Nolan "gimmick" rather than something that completely defines the film. I would say the biggest problem with the movie is that it feels surprisingly cold and artificial for a film about a situation which has so much of humanity in it. There's something about the want the narratives are framed, how they are depicted, which feels too designed and on the nose. This is something it shares with all Nolan films. Every line is something said for a purpose, speaking to the audience as much as to another character. That holds the film back from being perfection, because it makes what should be very natural and seamless feel somewhat unnatural.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Some minor spoilers below.

All this talk about despair and fight for survival is something that just didnt work for me. If you are going to make a survival movie, make us feel a connection with the characters otherwise every single sequence of said characters surviving just comes across as a setpiece. Like Uncharted 3. it's just one setpiece after another and you are disconnected from the film because the guy who is struggling for his life is just a nameless soldier who wore a mask for the first half of the movie.

Nolan also failed to capture the desperation of the soldiers stuck on the beach. They just stand there waiting to get bombed. they dont react. maybe that's how it really happened. but again, there is a disconnect there. if you are going to make a survival movie, you cant have characters who dont act desperate. there are only two scenes in the movie where you can really feel the drama b/w characters and they are two of the best scenes in the movie. the rest of the movie is about surviving some bombing runs. it's really that simple.

The whole interconnecting stories didnt work for me either. like someone else said, it's like you have seen the entire movie in the first act and the second act just shows you stuff from a different angle. i have loved scenes like this since TDK, it worked to perfection in Inception and i even liked the somewhat unnecessary cuts back to Earth in several Interstellar scenes. But here aside from that a ha moment at the end, it didnt do anything for me.

Still, Nolan's camera work, the cinematography, the incredible score (which might not be something i would listen to months like i have with every Hans Zimmer/Nolan score since TDK) and some of the best goddamn sound design makes it an easy movie to recommend. I have seen every Nolan movie 3-4 times in the theaters going back to TDK and i have not been able to stop thinking about the movie since i came back last night. i am just a bit shocked by the reception this film is getting. In terms of audiovisual design, Interstellar beats this. Inception captured survival/escape/desperation better* and they all had great character moments that critics love so much. i just dont understand why some movies get thrashed and others get lauded with despite having the same flaws.

*I once read that Inception was going to be a straight up heist movie, but then DiCaprio told Nolan that it had to be more than that and had him play up the kids angle. Cobb's struggle to get back to the kids not only gave the movie an emotional core, it also created this great dynamic with his subconscious' projection of his wife and some really poignant flashback scenes b/w the two. oh and the memorable cliffhanger ending simply doesnt work if his kids werent involved. i feel like Nolan needed someone like DiCaprio in this movie. someone not afraid to tell a filmmaker of his stature to go and make some changes to the script.

Are they? I thought it was a thread by thread basis and this one doesn't say "spoilers". But if so then carry on.

Yeah, we need a spoiler thread. It's hard to discuss the movie without going into details.

I didn't know Nolan could make a movie like this. So lean, without a wasted frame. Whether or not you cared for it, it felt like exactly the movie he wanted to make, masterfully done.

He absolutely took a step forward as a filmmaker in my eyes.

I forgot about the OT spoilers policy that's been introduced recently. There's not much point in making another thread when there's already this OT and the review thread.

Any mods around that could edit the title?

Character or narrative driven criticisms continue to be utterly baffling for this movie.

Is it wilful ignorance or..?

The "character" here is surely the enormous scale and impact of the entire event itself. I thought it had been pointed out specifically by Nolan himself that the point of this film wasn't to tell the story of individuals.

So weird that praise isn't completely unanimous, right?

Astral

I admit I thought the first 45 minutes or so were pretty boring except for the very beginning. That stretcher scene for example gave me zero tension. I don't know if I was tired or something but I was falling asleep. I was trying really hard not to because I wanted to enjoy the movie. Once it got to the target practice scene though...cotdamn. Everything from then on was so fucking good. Everything.

Seems tonally dissonant with the rest of the film, especially with
that one pilot who wanted nothing more than to run away from the war (whatever happened to him, anyways? I figured they were setting up something during that one scene because he was the one recognizable dark-haired soldier due to not having any oil all over his face)

You mean Cillian Murphy's character
who wasn't a pilot but a solider who was the only survivor on a sunken ship suffering from shellshock. He had a pretty central part surrounding the death of the lad George.

Him being shellshocked and not wanting to go back fits in perfectly with the feeling of the entire film. You don't see the enemy but you certainly their impact on why he doesn't want to go back with think sinking over the Red Cross ship, destroyer and minesweeper.

You need to go to a better cinema, it was crystal clear when I saw it.

Sean C

The Germans were lucky that
Tom Hardy ran out of gas and ended up being captured, because on the evidence of this film he would have singlehandedly won the Battle of Britain in about a week. I lost count of exactly how many planes he downed, but it seemed like he got to fighter ace status inside of one hour.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Germans were lucky that
Tom Hardy ran out of gas and ended up being captured, because on the evidence of this film he would have singlehandedly won the Battle of Britain in about a week. I lost count of exactly how many planes he downed, but it seemed like he got to fighter ace status inside of one hour.
i have heard of some incredible stories about pilots in WW2.

This guy comes up at the top of the list among RAF pilots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Johnson_(RAF_officer)

Johnson was credited with 34 individual victories over enemy aircraft, as well as seven shared victories, three shared probable, 10 damaged, three shared damaged and one destroyed on the ground.

I'm about to watch my first IMAX movie with Dunkirk.

It's IMAX 70mm too. Back in the last few rows in the middle.

I hope this is the best cinema experience in my life.

What's everyone's experience here with IMAX?

Just saw this in IMAX. Great movie and My goodness at the fucking sound design. The only thing I didn't like was I couldn't make out what the actors were saying at times due to how loud the sound effects were.

I mean most directors obviously dont come close to that...he's now probably the most consistent director in hollywood.

And we are talking about someone that outside of the Batman franchise makes original movies that turn into blockbusters.

JB1981

I wanted to clap for Tom Hardy. What a bad ass. That sequence gave me some serious feels.

Saw this in IMAX 70mm (maybe laser?) at Loews Lincoln Square. The screen was stupid big LOL and the sound was definitely loud but not as loud as some of the other Liemax's I've been to. The cinematography was spectacular and the quality of the image in the IMAX scenes was staggering. Made the scenes filmed in regular 35mm all the more distracting. I kind of want to see this movie again to see how everything congeals. I was a little lost at times

Iceman

So as someone who has never seen Interstellar, would I like this movie? Does it have a good ending?

I'd say this movie builds up to an exciting, edge of your seat climax. It's a pretty badass ending. Although, what's with that top spinning at the end there?

Top Bottom