• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

WriterGK

Saw it yesterday in Imax. I thought it was okay like a 7.4/10 or so.
My problems with the movie were
Its okay all the non chronological stuff but it takes the tension away. I don't care to see everything from 3-4 perspectives, I already know what happened.
And you never
See a single piece of enemy.
And basically
it was a large and big evacuation. But we saw no blood at all and not really people dying
For any other director this would be a good film but for Nolan I really expected more. There being no Protoganist might be one of the few plus sides to this.

Have a pounding headache after watching this movie... Saw it in IMAX, visually not impressive, just the same ww2 scenes from other movies in higher resolution. Music was awful, clicky noises with and droning whining noises.

man the audiovisuals are like the last thing I'd call bad in this movie.

Have a pounding headache after watching this movie... Saw it in IMAX, visually not impressive, just the same ww2 scenes from other movies in higher resolution. Music was awful, clicky noises with and droning whining noises.

This will prolly be the WOAT review in this thread I imagine

Visually not impressive....lmao

I think this movie has the cinematography award locked down so far.

Still got plenty of movies left, but Dunkirk is gonna be a contender for sure.

Awful music....not visually impressive...I really hope this is a joke post.

Im curious about what kind of movies you enjoy?

ayeorkean

man the audiovisuals are like the last thing I'd call bad in this movie.

Did not say bad... just not impressive visually, sure the format used makes a good looking picture. Visually there is not a lot of fanfare, maybe they just wanted the story to have a good looking picture. The audio effects were great, the music was like a high pitched air conditioner with a constant drip, that's the only thing I would consider bad. Enjoyed the story, minus Harry Styles, since I did like not recognizing many of the actors.

I wanted to say it was
for sentimental reasons he stayed with the plane....until he burned it down anyway. Who knows. Both pilots were about to eject then closed the cockpit lol.
My impression was that
he wanted to fly to the very end to protect the soldiers from any remaining German planes. That's also why he ended up gliding into enemy territory.

Kabanossi

Loved it. I admit, I'm a phone addict and I usually get very bored watching movies. I get the urge to check my phone and watch at least twice during a two hour movie. Watching Dunkirk I completely lost track of time. Not once did I think about my phone. Last time this happened was when I saw Gravity. Beautifully shot and immersive movies are clearly my thing.

Arkanius

This was a ride just like Gravity

Loved the movie, not sure if it will hold on the next viewings. But what an amazing spectacle it was.

Derp2Herp

Neo Member
Laser roll out is so fucking slow and most of the big theater chains aren't installing it. I wonder what gives? Sucks they removed the 1570 projector here in Houston. Here's hoping equipment starts failing at that IMAX and they're forced to upgrade. Ugh i still remember seeing that sign that they were closed for a "4k upgrade". Dual 2k xenons isn't a god damn upgrade and it isn't 4k. Fuck you Regal and fuck you IMAX

Easily the best movie of the year for me.(In fact, this has been a good movie year with John Wick, Logan, War of the Planet of the Apes, Spiderman Homecoming and Baby Driver). When it comes to Nolan films, I put this under Inception and The Dark Knight. I see nominations for Best Director, Cinematography, Visuals Editing(Apes should also get a nom and the win this already), Orignal Score, Production Design and Sound Mixing and editing.

Cikay

It was completely meh.
The movie never allowed itself to build up tension. The out of order sequence for the one event, did not work out at all. For a minimalist film that is relying on building up tension, never occurred. Rather, it just felt disjointed initially and once you figured out the order.... you realize you already saw the ending, some 30 minutes before it happened. So when the climax of the film hits, the film already spoiled it. For a film based literally based on surviving being winning, this did not make sense.

The other bit was, due to the multiple perspective at different times, it ended up creating needless confusion for the first half. Rather, it had a similar effect to the above complaint, where it had me more wondering where said people were at and when is it, rather than being taken in by the flick.

I have to agree more with the negative reviews, it's a gorgeous film, but a shallow experience. It's not like Gravity that gripped me and had me wondering if she would survive. Dunkirk just sort of did it's thing and went.

I agree totally. The complex narrative felt unnecessary, it just adds confusion (already present due to the fact all the guys look the same) and takes the tension away.

Multiple timelines or non-linear narrative served a purpose in previous Nolan movies. In Inception, it was linked to the concept of the story the movie told. In Memento also, and furthermore it allowed for a great twist. In Dunkirk, it just feels shallow and pretentious. Nolan doing Nolan. I think he is a brilliant director, but why can't he tell a simple story in a simple way, for once ? It's like he always has to show how smart and "visionary" he is, it's annoying.

obin_gam

I dont understand the "confusing narrative" criticism. I mean, the movie flat out tells you in writing what the three story lines are and how they take place.

The only thing i would worry about is the volume. It's probably the only movie i have ever thought "holy shit, this is loud" when watching it at the theatre. It's not gory or very violent.

My advice: Bring earplugs! My screening was too loud and I had to put in plugs in many scenes. It was annoying but I fully enjoyed the movie despite it. My boyfriend forgot his earplugs but ended up stuffing paper napkins in his ears after a while.

i was hoping it to be even louder, those gunshots and bombs are supposed to scare you in this. think of it like 4D cinema, you instinctively duck everytime you hear those loud noises :D

To each their own but the main criticisms are nuts to me. You really didn't feel anything during those intense moments with thunderous sounds, and overwhelming soundtrack just because you weren't 'attactched' to the characters?

At least we know that Nolan made the exact movie he wanted to make, and it's just not for everyone. I can't believe that someone would think that the movie would be better if it was 20 minutes longer and we knew that Tom Hardy had a wife and kids waiting at home or something stupid like that. Would have been a complete waste of time in this movie.

People are used to a formula and can't shake it when it's not there.

There are a minority of critics that are the same about it. To each their own . What is hilarious is some of these critics that aren't on board LITEREALLY say that in their reviews, they hold the great reviews the movie has been getting against it which seems incredibly unprofessional.

I thought it accomplished what it set out to do brilliantly.

Cikay

You really didn't feel anything during those intense moments with thunderous sounds, and overwhelming soundtrack just because you weren't 'attactched' to the characters?

Nope. I was impressed by those sequences but I could not care for the characters. And at the end sometimes I was not even sure of who died or not.

I agree totally. The complex narrative felt unnecessary, it just adds confusion (already present due to the fact all the guys look the same) and takes the tension away.

Multiple timelines or non-linear narrative served a purpose in previous Nolan movies. In Inception, it was linked to the concept of the story the movie told. In Memento also, and furthermore it allowed for a great twist. In Dunkirk, it just feels shallow and pretentious. Nolan doing Nolan. I think he is a brilliant director, but why can't he tell a simple story in a simple way, for once ? It's like he always has to show how smart and "visionary" he is, it's annoying.
I mean, it's clear why, and it has nothing to do with "showing how smart and visionary he is"

It's so you can have a consistent level of intensity throughout the whole movie instead of just the third act when the boats finally arrive after a week

number11

I'll be another to admit the timeline sequencing was way too confusing and didn't add to anything. The constant change of colour timing didn't help. When that happened I had no idea what timeline I was in.

obin_gam

I'll be another to admit the timeline sequencing was way too confusing and didn't add to anything. The constant change of colour timing didn't help. When that happened I had no idea what timeline I was in.

The mole = One week
The Sea = One day
The Air = One hour

To each their own but the main criticisms are nuts to me. You really didn't feel anything during those intense moments with thunderous sounds, and overwhelming soundtrack just because you weren't 'attactched' to the characters?

At least we know that Nolan made the exact movie he wanted to make, and it's just not for everyone. I can't believe that someone would think that the movie would be better if it was 20 minutes longer and we knew that Tom Hardy had a wife and kids waiting at home or something stupid like that. Would have been a complete waste of time in this movie.
The movie is set up as a man vs nature movie (this is why no German is ever shown on screen). Typically these types of stories hinge around man's overwhelming determination to live.

The problem with Dunkirk is that it doesn't show that will to exist: failing to give the characters backstory removes one possible raison d-etre, meanwhile the characters seldom ever rescue themselves out of conflict - it's always somebody else doing the saving, or they get shuffled along to the next set piece by sheer coincidence.

"Nothing we did actually matters in the end" could be an interesting theme for a different film, but it's not the one Dunkirk is set up to be.

The problem with Dunkirk is that it doesn't show that will to exist:
It's like we watched different movies...

Does there need to be a reason to survive other than surviving? There doesn't need to be an exposition laden backstory about why you want to get home. You are stuck in hell on Earth and home is just over the horizon. That was all the understanding I needed.

Laser roll out is so fucking slow and most of the big theater chains aren't installing it. I wonder what gives? Sucks they removed the 1570 projector here in Houston. Here's hoping equipment starts failing at that IMAX and they're forced to upgrade. Ugh i still remember seeing that sign that they were closed for a "4k upgrade". Dual 2k xenons isn't a god damn upgrade and it isn't 4k. Fuck you Regal and fuck you IMAX
I'm in Houston and so in the same boat. :( I haven't been to that IMAX in years. Does it at least show it in the right aspect ration it is it stretched?

To each their own but the main criticisms are nuts to me. You really didn't feel anything during those intense moments with thunderous sounds, and overwhelming soundtrack just because you weren't 'attached' to the characters?

I mention it in my (currently unpublished) post on the Review Thread, but I would agree that it is insane to not feel anything during the intense moments. However, I don't feel like I got the level of emotions I've gotten from his past few films because I wasn't invested in the characters as much.

Which, honestly, may have been the point. You're not necessarily going to have catharsis and release and joy and sorrow when you're stuck in the middle of a war or escaping from it. You're just focused on survival and all that goes with it. It's intense and it brings out a different kind of emotion. I don't enjoy that emotion as much as the ones I felt during Inception, TDK, TDKR, and Interstellar, but it is definitely an emotional response.

My advice: Bring earplugs! My screening was too loud and I had to put in plugs in many scenes. It was annoying but I fully enjoyed the movie despite it. My boyfriend forgot his earplugs but ended up stuffing paper napkins in his ears after a while.
You know, when I took my 7 year old to see Homecoming, he covered his ears during the trailer for this and then with a sad look on his face said he wished we weren't seeing a movie. I asked why and he said it's too loud.

This from someone who is partially deaf in one ear and was fitted for a hearing-aid earlier this summer.

It's like we watched different movies...

Does there need to be a reason to survive other than surviving? There doesn't need to be an exposition laden backstory about why you want to get home. You are stuck in hell on Earth and home is just over the horizon. That was all the understanding I needed.
What hell on earth? The PG-13 rating hurt the movie immensely in this respect.

And uhh yeah there kind of does need to be a reason to survive beyond the mere feat itself. It's what drives conflict in storytelling.

You can argue that's not the type of movie Nolan wanted to make, but then why include that entire post-rescue bit? I got bored halfway through the movie once the gimmick with the intersecting timelines was played out and it was clear whether or not any of the characters survived till the end was completely meaningless.

This is a straight up terrible review. Don't listen to this guy at all, his pov is wrong and bad.

Saw it last night. Great movie, but not one of Nolan's masterpieces. Probably his best directed and technical movie he's ever made but not his best. 8.5/10. Hoping he jumps off on sci-fi/new IP (not a new Bond movie). My main real issue is the main character is everyone and while unique as hell because of it, characters
don't talk too much and you can't build much of a relationship with them.
Lack of blood/body parts didn't bother me, but I understand people that it did. One of the most intense movies I've seen in a while, basically giving a big sigh after the movie was done. First time in years that I remember people talking in this theater as well.. I let it go for a bit until I turned to them and asked them if they can be quiet but was more in the tone of "can you shut the fuck up you twats?"

Cikay

I mean, it's clear why, and it has nothing to do with "showing how smart and visionary he is"

It's so you can have a consistent level of intensity throughout the whole movie instead of just the third act when the boats finally arrive after a week

No intense things happen in the first act also, not only in the third.
The beach bombing, trying to get on the first boat, the two boats sinking, etc.

And anyway not having a "consistent level of intensity" would have not hurt the film. Maybe it would have allowed me to care more for the characters.

But for sure it would have been a different experience. I can see well what Nolan wanted to do with the non-linear narrative. I just don't find it as appropriate and effective as in his previous movies.

And uhh yeah there kind of does need to be a reason to survive beyond the mere feat itself. It's what drives conflict in storytelling
Survival is the conflict in the storytelling

How is the innate human desire to survive not reason enough? Especially in this kind of movie, which is more akin to United 93 than say Hacksaw Ridge

Bumhead

Banned
Character or narrative driven criticisms continue to be utterly baffling for this movie.

Is it wilful ignorance or..?

The "character" here is surely the enormous scale and impact of the entire event itself. I thought it had been pointed out specifically by Nolan himself that the point of this film wasn't to tell the story of individuals.

I thought the awfulness of the situation was well represented.

And uhh yeah there kind of does need to be a reason to survive beyond the mere feat itself. It's what drives conflict in storytelling.
We have completely different viewpoints on this. Agree to disagree I guess.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more. It was the movie experience of the year (so far) by a good margin for me.

You can argue that's not the type of movie Nolan wanted to make, but then why include that entire post-rescue bit? I got bored halfway through the movie once the gimmick with the intersecting timelines was played out and it was clear whether or not any of the characters survived till the end was completely meaningless.

Being trapped on a beach with the enemy at your back or being stuck in
a sinking destroyer
are far closer to hell on earth than most war films get.

Turning the movie into something more like Hacksaw Ridge would have completely missed the point of what Dunkirk is and represents. It's not about machine-gunning down hundreds of Nazi's or seeing body parts fly across the screen.

The reason for survival is to get home, to defend Britain from invasion. The entire post-rescue part
on the train pretty much spells this out with the reading of Churchill's speech and the reaction of the civilians.

How does Imax Xenon (in 1.9:1) compare to Cinemark XD or a Liemax? I haven't been to our Imax since they dropped the 1570 projector but the tickets are twice as much.

Character or narrative driven criticisms continue to be utterly baffling for this movie.

Is it wilful ignorance or..?

The "character" here is surely the enormous scale and impact of the entire event itself. I thought it had been pointed out specifically by Nolan himself that the point of this film wasn't to tell the story of individuals.
Has got nothing to do with ignorance, easy to grasp. Issue is as someone pointed out, Nolan gets me emotional af in every single movie he's made essentially, watery eyes and all that jazz. Memorable human moments that stick with me. I did get goosebumps when
all the boats showed up, and the end with the young kid showed up as a hero on the newspaper
but it doesn't compare to Nolan's usual feels-train that you get.

I know it wasn't supposed to have that, but that elevates his movies quite a bit for me. This is one of the best war (but not war) movies, but it's no SPR for me.

I'm in Houston and so in the same boat. :( I haven't been to that IMAX in years. Does it at least show it in the right aspect ration it is it stretched?

I'm in Houston too, what IMAX did you guys go to? I went to Edwards and I was disappointed with the image quality. The movie itself was great, but I was expecting top notch quality here and I started to notice the pixels in most of the scenes due to the laser projection. It really blows since this is meant to be a premium experience.

I'm in Houston too, what IMAX did you guys go to? I went to Edwards and I was disappointed with the image quality. The movie itself was great, but I was expecting top notch quality here and I started to notice the pixels in most of the scenes due to the laser projection. It really blows since this is meant to be a premium experience.
I10 Edwards? I'm thinking of going to see it there again tomorrow. We saw the 70mm screening at AMC Gulf Pointe. They botched it and had to restart the movie in regular digital. Such a disappointment.

Is it worth seeing it at the Edwards? I assume since it's now Xenon it's not 1.45:1.

WriterGK

I dont understand the "confusing narrative" criticism. I mean, the movie flat out tells you in writing what the three story lines are and how they take place.

Cause it spoiled a lot of things. And you already knew what happened, so don't need to see everything 2/3 times ?

Has got nothing to do with ignorance, easy to grasp. Issue is as someone pointed out, Nolan gets me emotional af in every single movie he's made essentially, watery eyes and all that jazz. Memorable human moments that stick with me. I did get goosebumps when
all the boats showed up, and the end with the young kid showed up as a hero on the newspaper
but it doesn't compare to Nolan's usual feels-train that you get.

I know it wasn't supposed to have that, but that elevates his movies quite a bit for me. This is one of the best war (but not war) movies, but it's no SPR for me.
I cannot agree more. I still really, REALLY like this movie, but I get the same emotions as you do in all his movies, and it wasn't going for that.

Top Bottom