• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Kojima Announcing 2 Games, MGS5?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
duckroll said:
There won't be any more Ac!d games ever. The director/writer/designer/creator who was responsible for that series has left Kojima Productions. He's still at Konami though, as a producer. He's working on NeverDead at the moment.
What?! NO!

This is the worst gaming news I've heard in a long time. Ugh. :(

Momo said:
MGS 5 is already out

Why are some people so hung up on this? I don't understand. That is not what the game is called.

The only reason I can imagine for all the PW= MGS5 indignation is stealth Sony fanboyism. Sony fanboys shit their pants when MGS Rising was announced as a multiplat, and they've been in defense mode ever since. So, the game that's a Sony exclusive had to be put on a pedestal far above Rising, so that we all know that the important games in the franchise are still basically Sony exclusive.

Maybe that's all bullshit, but will someone please explain to me why some people care so much that Peace Walker be recognized as MGS5?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ezekial45 said:
To be honest, i actually hoped that Metal Gear 3 hoax a couple years back was real. It had you playing as Ocelot during the 80's. That would've been great.

wow, this is from a few pages back, but i love this idea!

i want mikami to make an ocelot game with kojima's crazy wack story laid over it. that would be the business, man.

KingDizzi

Banned
TheAtomicPile said:
Why are some people so hung up on this? I don't understand. That is not what the game is called.

The only reason I can imagine for all the PW= MGS5 indignation is stealth Sony fanboyism. Sony fanboys shit their pants when MGS Rising was announced as a multiplat, and they've been in defense mode ever since. So, the game that's a Sony exclusive had to be put on a pedestal far above Rising, so that we all know that the important games in the franchise are still basically Sony exclusive.

Maybe that's all bullshit, but will someone please explain to me why some people care so much that Peace Walker be recognized as MGS5?

Oh do shut the fuck up boy.

metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-planned-as-mgs5-20100224005440089-000.jpg

TheAtomicPile said:

Kojima made reference to wanting peace walker to be mgs5, and there's some pre release material laying around that confirms that. As for your theory, you're aware MGS2 had an Xbox release, right? And I'm not even going to bring up Twin Snakes.

web01

Peace Walker is not MGS5.

It doesnt matter if they were going to call it MGS5 or not because it is not MGS5 now in any way.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
KingDizzi said:

metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-planned-as-mgs5-20100224005440089-000.jpg

PHOTOSHOP!

Okay, not really. But I understand why they didn't call it MGS5. I don't think it would be good for PR if a full blown sequel to this kind of IP would be on a handheld.

KingDizzi said:

Oh, you mean that pre-release press shit? Sorry, that's not the title of the game. It was going to be, but it isn't.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BS47TE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Do you call the Gamecube the Dolphin? Do you refer to Mario as Jumpman?

Kojima made reference to wanting peace walker to be mgs5, and there's some pre release material laying around that confirms that. As for your theory, you're aware MGS2 had an Xbox release, right? And I'm not even going to bring up Twin Snakes.

I'm very aware of them. I didn't mention them because they are ports and remakes. By the time they came out, the hype of the original games' releases had already passed.

Calcaneus said:
So when they come out with MGS5, what are you PW = MGS5 guys gonna do? Actually call it by its name?

I was wondering this, as well.

lucius

I don't refer to Peacewalker as MGS5 but I could see how some feel it deserves to be in the main series since in many ways it is a better game than MGS4.

ArjanN

Mama Robotnik said:
I don't think we need a Metal Gear Solid 5. That last game failed in achieving many expectations and was pretty damn boring in a lot of places.

MGS5 didn't just bring closure to the story, it sealed the story's legs in concrete and tipped it into the oceanic moon of Europa. What more needs to be said?

Kojima - lets see your talent directed into something else!

It could be a Final Fantasy type sequel that's not a direct sequel.

I don't think it'll be MGS5 though unless it's on a handheld, because they already have Rising.

GONz

If one of them is a new IP, then PLEASE BE in this vein:
Kojima + Western Studio = Neo Tokyo FPS/TPS inspired by Ghost in the Shell. Now. Please. Make it happen.
More expecting MGS NGP+PS3 though

Ellis Kim

Banned
This thread is all sorts of fucked up :/

People call Peacewalker "MGS5" because the game itself is great enough to be a numbered sequel, regardless of prerelease PR material.

If you've never played Peacewalker, and don't know a damn thing, then shut your pie hole before someone shits in it.

Manmademan said:
Interesting they say one is a quasi-logical step for an existing game not series. What might this be? a port of an existing game to another platform (NGP/PSN)?

now that I think of it, this almost has to be it.
MGS Rising on NGP

Ellis Kim said:
This thread is all sorts of fucked up :/

People call Peacewalker "MGS5" because the game itself is great enough to be a numbered sequel, regardless of prerelease PR material.

If you've never played Peacewalker, and don't know a damn thing, then shut your pie hole before someone shits in it.
Well I guess it's up to the quality of the series after 4.

neptunes

It's been a year already, the final name was not called MGS5, can some of you just call it Peace Walker, the name Konami & Kojima decided it should be called?

duckroll

neptunes said:
It's been a year already, the final name was not called MGS5, can some of you just call it Peace Walker, the name Konami & Kojima decided it should be called?

No. You don't like it? Too bad.

Peace Walker is awesome but it's typical side-story/gaiden fare, canon and gameplay-wise. A fun little tale with some interesting ideas in its gameplay-structure, but nothing on par with what a real MGS5 shoot for. I don't know if it was Kojima coming to his senses or somebody else that stepped in and stripped it of the "5", but of course it was the right decision.

neptunes

duckroll said:
No. You don't like it? Too bad.
I liked the Game (More than MGS4), and slightly more than MGS3

edit: misunderstood you, oh well. it will always be remebered as MGS:peace Walker [full-stop. with no number proceeding it]

Sorry man

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wouldn't at all be surprised if the "MGS5" story was whipped up to generate sales for what really was designed as a PSP spinoff game.......

Think about it... a PSP game has less buzz because it's just a handheld sidestory.....

A photoshoped logo later, and everyone thinks of it as a mainline game! Now, it certainly could be legit... but I've got to say, that's an awfully easy way to give a spinoff 'fan credibility'.

Acid08

Banned
I like MGS4 exponentially more than any other game this gen.

Hope we're getting a new one that isn't "5" or whatever.

duckroll

BocoDragon said:
I wouldn't at all be surprised if the "MGS5" story was whipped up to generate sales for what really was designed as a PSP spinoff game.......

I don't think that's the main issue at all. All that matters to me is whether Kojima is writing, directing, and designing a MGS game. PW is the 5th MGS game that Kojima wrote/directed/designed. What's the difference between PW and MPO? Kojima. That's all that matters.

Clott

Seems like the majority of people want to see him stuck working on MGS for a few more years, can't say I share the same sentiment.

Ellis Kim

Banned
BocoDragon said:

Think about it... a PSP game has less buzz because it's just a handheld sidestory.....

A photoshoped logo later, and everyone thinks of it as a mainline game! Now, it certainly could be legit... but I've got to say, that's an awfully easy way to give a spinoff 'fan credibility'.

Dude? Try harder.

BocoDragon

duckroll said:
I don't think that's the main issue at all. All that matters to me is whether Kojima is writing, directing, and designing a MGS game. PW is the 5th MGS game that Kojima wrote/directed/designed. What's the difference between PW and MPO? Kojima. That's all that matters.
I'm not really thinking in terms of "big issue". I just don't really trust how easily fans have called PW "MGS5" just because of a very simple logo and a PR story about it being designed as MGS5. That's some very simple PR work to bring more attention to the quality of a game, that may well have been designed as the mere spinoff that it was eventually released as.

If Game Boy Color-era handhelds were in the position of playing host to big mainstream games, and the MGS series was not in continuous developement for home consoles circa 2000, Kojima might as well have retroactively, after development, declared Ghost Babel to be "in development as MGS2"... to shore up support for it.

PW might be a game that is the calibre of a mainline entry, as you say... but I'm not sure if I certainly believe the story that it was really developed as such... that's all I'm saying.

Ellis Kim said:

Dude? Try harder.
The tone of this response suggests more of a debate than I am involved in.

Just saying: declaring Peace Walker to be "in development as MGS5" afforded them more fan buzz, and it cost them nothing to assert this.

duckroll

BocoDragon said:
I'm not really thinking in terms of "big issue". I just don't really trust how easily fans have called PW "MGS5" just because of a very simple logo and a PR story about it being designed as MGS5. That's some very simple PR work to bring more attention to the quality of a game, that may well have been designed as the mere spinoff that it was eventually released as.

If Game Boy Color-era handhelds were in the position of playing host to big mainstream games, and the MGS series was not in continuous developement for home consoles circa 2000, Kojima might as well have retroactively, after development, declared Ghost Babel to be "in development as MGS2"... to shore up support for it.

PW might be a game that is the calibre of a mainline entry, as you say... but I'm not sure if I certainly believe the story that it was really developed as such... that's all I'm saying.

But Ghost Babel is directed and designed by Shinta Nojiri. The same person who wrote, directed, and designed both Metal Gear Ac!d games.

BocoDragon

duckroll said:
But Ghost Babel is directed and designed by Shinta Nojiri. The same person who wrote, directed, and designed both Metal Gear Ac!d games.
I do see your point in that case:

MG Peace Walker was directly developed by Kojima, unlike the other spinoffs, so it should be treated like a mainline game.

It's just that the idea that they were developing MGS5 until they were forced to drop the 5, by suits, because of the portable...? Maybe, maybe not. Might as well be a move to draw attention to their spinoff. Make it more "real" in the eyes of fans.

I'm just going to look at it this way. Code Veronica is a main line RE, but it isn't RE4. Just like Peace Walker is a main line MGS, but not whatever MGS5 will be.

duckroll

BocoDragon said:
I do see your point in that case:

MG Peace Walker was developed by Kojima unlike the other spinoffs, so it should be treated like a mainline game.

It's just that the idea that they were developing MGS5 until they were forced to drop the 5 by suits because of the portable...? Maybe, maybe not. Might as well be a move to draw attention to their spinoff. Make it more "real" in the eyes of fans.

My point is that it doesn't really matter. Right now, there is no MGS5. They have not announced any MGS5. There is no indication that they will announce a game called "MGS5". Peace Walker is the 5th Kojima MGS game. If people want to call it MGS5, what difference does it make from people calling it PW? Shrug.

Top Bottom