• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early reactions to Alien: Covenant are in

Alienfan

I thought Prometheus was a totally acceptable Alien movie, it wasn't amazing but not nearly as bad as the obnoxious hyperbolic hate surrounding it would have you believe.

I thought Prometheus was a totally acceptable Alien movie, it wasn't amazing but not nearly as bad as the obnoxious hyperbolic hate surrounding it would have you believe.

Just the fact that people are even still thinking about it 5 years on means Ridley did something right. I just love that Ridley gives absolutely zero fucks about what people think of his work. The man is 79 and he's gonna do what HE wants. Fuckin' A man!

I agree. I actually enjoyed Prometheus. It was much better than Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Flipyap

Just the fact that people are even still thinking about it 5 years on means Ridley did something right. I just love that Ridley gives absolutely zero fucks about what people think of his work. The man is 79 and he's gonna do what HE wants. Fuckin' A man!
People are still thinking about The Phantom Menace. Fuckin' A, George. Yousa do yousa!

This isn't exactly an "any publicity is good publicity." situation. People still talk about The Phantom Menace. Or a more apt comparison, The Dark Knight Rises.

Fuck yea! This is gonna be a looooong two weeks for me. https://youtu.be/WxyCoaQvG1Y

Also, possible spoilery thoery:
What if the Engineers descended from Aliens like we descended from Apes? It would help that mural in Prometheus sure make a lot more sense. Also, what if David's final experiment is to facehug Walter, finally birthing the "perfect organism." It would make sense since he looks at himself as God now, therefore the final xeno would be a perfect combo of primal engineer and machine.

prometheus is a million times better than alien 3 and resurrection and all the avp movies combined

Yep. Try as they might, nobody can convince me that Alien 3 is good. I will say the extended cut makes it better in some ways, and Fincher did decent directing work but I just do not like the story or outcome. Prometheus has some dumb writing problems due to them playing shuffle with what they wanted the movie to BE and mixing different writers but I was still engaged and wanted to see what came next.

The only thing this movie need to be better than prometius, is for the main characters to make decisions that are more intelligent than 2nd grade kids.

jett

D-Member
Yep. Try as they might, nobody can convince me that Alien 3 is good. I will say the extended cut makes it better in some ways, and Fincher did decent directing work but I just do not like the story or outcome. Prometheus has some dumb writing problems due to them playing shuffle with what they wanted the movie to BE and mixing different writers but I was still engaged and wanted to see what came next.

Alien 3's main problem is that it's just boring as fuck. Prometheus is many things, but it's not that. Even Resurrection provides some entertainment in its shittyness.

trejo

The biggest trend that can be gauged from the reaction is that Alien: Covenant fixes what Prometheus got wrong. Covenant is apparently much scarier than Prometheus

I had to smirk at this. The biggest problem with Prometheus wasn't that it wasn't scary enough, it was that it was fucking nonsensical.

Alien 3's main problem is that it's just boring as fuck. Prometheus is many things, but it's not that. Even Resurrection provides some entertainment in its shittyness.

Man Resurrection isn't just bad, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen lol. At least 3 is competently made despite being drab.

But since Resurrection is bad and Prometheus is amazingly worse somehow

Bobby Roberts was wrong.

Japanese release is September 15... Guess I'll be importing the BluRay before then. At least once the movie is over, I'll still have something to show for it. God damn you, Japanese cinema operators.

Fj0823

Sorry but Prometheus will never be worse than Alien 4 or AVP2 no matter how hard you think it.

It's like, science brah.

Now is it better than Thor 2: The Dark World? That's the real question

It is

Timu

Japanese release is September 15... Guess I'll be importing the BluRay before then. At least once the movie is over, I'll still have something to show for it. God damn you, Japanese cinema operators.
I know Japan tends to get movies later, but my god that's late!!!

Nether!

I get why people might not like Prometheus.
I really enjoyed it and I think it will be remembered more fondly in the future.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I still think they should have kept Vickers alive in Prometheus. It would have gotten rid of the dumb rolling ship death and given David someone worth experimenting on since they actually hated each other.

Edit: This is assuming David actually does something cruel to Shaw instead. This would be totally unearned by the events in Prometheus and the covenant prologue.

aliengmr

Alien 3 is okay at best. It's too broken to be GOOD, I think.

But since Resurrection is bad and Prometheus is amazingly worse somehow, Alien 3 still hold onto that #3 spot.

Speaking of Prometheus, one of my favorite film critics, Matt Zoller Seitz, is currently livetweeting his second-ever viewing of the film (first since it opened) if you'd like to follow along.

But it's not.

Sure, argue that it's worse than Alien 3, but Resurrection? How is that possible?

Whatever else Prometheus might be, it's visually beautiful. Resurrection is a full serving of shit, Prometheus is shit with sprinkles.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If early reactions could be taken seriously, Thor: Dark World and Batman V Superman would be considered to be among some of the greatest movies of all time.

I'll wait for the official reviews.

People always bring this up. Those early BvS reactions were mostly from random people/fan screenings on Twitter, not actual critics whose reviews end up on RottenTomatoes.

(And I'm not sure what you're referring to with the Thor mention.)

Sure, argue that it's worse than Alien 3, but Resurrection? How is that possible?

Whatever else Prometheus might be, it's visually beautiful. Resurrection is a full serving of shit, Prometheus is shit with sprinkles.

Alien Resurrection is also pretty decently shot. It's not like Jeunet is some sort of slouch, visually.

For me, Resurrection wants to be, and is, a stupid, self-referential sitcom version of ALIENS. It's failure as a movie comes down to a) that unfortunate aim in the first place and b) the lackadaisical, half-ass attempt at that bullseye. It aims low, and mostly misses. Yet it's ultimately more successful at being what it wants to be than Prometheus is.

Prometheus wants to be a gateway to a grand mythology full of philosophical revelation and engaging ideas/possibilities, that also wants to be a horror movie, that fucks up almost everything but two scenes of the horror movie bit.

So yeah, both films are pretty. Prometheus is prettier. But it's also dumber, clumsier, and as a result of attempting to aim higher, also has farther to fall. And it hits most of the fucking rocks on the way down to that bottom.

My initial statement is confusingly worded, looking at it. I don't mean to say that Prometheus is significantly worse than Resurrection. It's only barely worse. The two are very close together on the quality scale (and amazingly, both aren't too far above Alien vs Predator. The quality of all three films are in the same egg chamber). My usage of amazingly was meant to highlight that despite all the tools, all that time, all that preparation, and all that possibility, amazingly, the sum of its parts ended up being lesser than the what Jeunet tossed off on a lark because Fox thought throwing money at him was a good idea.

It can't be worse than Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, AVP, AVP: R or Prometheus, can it?

It can, sure.

The hope is that it isn't.

That simplifying the story and focusing on the horror movie aspect much, much more over the mythology (such as it is) will make for a more efficient, effective thriller.

That and a fucking shitload of blood.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'd rather rewatching Resurrection, AVP, or AVP2 than Prometheus. I think that speaks of what I think of it. It's a total mess of a film. Tonally, plot, characters, etc. The complete package of how to have no idea what it wants to do. Does it want to be Alien? Aliens? Something new? Who knows. It's pretty at least.

Resurrection while a bad film, is at least consistent with what it is. Well shot, the story flows along well, and hell, I even liked the characters a bit.

AvP is the same, it's not a good film, but it's not trying to be anything else than a fanservice flick. AvP2, same. I can't dislike either for that reason, and also, bias is I'm a huge Predator fan and AvP2 did do that right. They made it a hunter again.

Prometheus trying to pass itself off as an avant-garde philosophical epic is more lolworthy than anything else. Still a fun movie tho

Prometheus did very little right. It started off very promising and then went to shit shortly thereafter. It was pretty fucking bad and talking about how bad something is years later doesn't mean you did something right.

Top Bottom