• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early reactions to Alien: Covenant are in

Resurrection is at least self aware and intentional in its use of comedy, however much you might think it fits in with the franchise. Was definetly an odd choice of director. Promethesus on the other hand has some of the worst writing I've seen in a film and it's so God damned serious.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You didn't answer my question.

I'm guessing poster means non nerds bring it up. I watch it couple times with my Dad as a mini in-joke (took him to see it on Father's Day when it was released.) He doesn't care about most films that come out, but he made it a point to ask me about the Prometheus sequel semi regularly.

So if he remembers it, I have to assume it's known by a casual audience.

Just the fact that people are even still thinking about it 5 years on means Ridley did something right. I just love that Ridley gives absolutely zero fucks about what people think of his work. The man is 79 and he's gonna do what HE wants. Fuckin' A man!

People still think about the Star Wars Prequels over a decade after they came out, is that a good thing?

Also LMFAO at the "Ridley doesn't care!" bit. This entire movie is one big "I fucked up, please forgive me!" from him.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm concerned the reviews are going to be based on if it's better than Prometheus. That's a bad way to review a movie.

The problems of Prometheus all came down to its fuck-awful script. The acting, set pieces, cinematography, and effects were all outstanding. It's the most beautiful, well-directed trash ever made.

So yeah, all Covenant needs is better writing.

AvP is secretly the 3rd best Alien movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The problems of Prometheus all came down to its fuck-awful script. The acting, set pieces, cinematography, and effects were all outstanding. It's the most beautiful, well-directed trash ever made.

So yeah, all Covenant needs is better writing.

AvP is secretly the 3rd best Alien movie.

Prometheus is a 1980s slasher film with production values. That wasn't the writers intebt, but if you view it that way it's really fun. The science crew were pretty much Crystal Lake camp councillors.

Hystzen

My issue with prometheus was its whole its not a alien but it kind of is and it flipping between that. I was more interested in what Engineers doing and learning about them.

Alien Convent so far looks like a Alien film ticksheet and that's not what i wanted i rather have Shaw and a android head learning more about Engineers instead we got a have a Alien because people want the Alien killing people.

My issue with prometheus was its whole its not a alien but it kind of is and it flipping between that. I was more interested in what Engineers doing and learning about them.

Alien Convent so far looks like a Alien film ticksheet and that's not what i wanted i rather have Shaw and a android head learning more about Engineers instead we got a have a Alien because people want the Alien killing people.
This was one of the major problems with Prometheus. There was a split about whether the film wants to explore the Engineers and how they came about but also let's do an Alien prequel cause the horror and familiarity sells tickets. The film banked on the latter which is why you got stupid contrived actions by seemingly intelligent characters to move the plot along so we can get to the Alien prequel. And now that the film is called Alien Covenant, it's just another Alien movie rather than exploring something interesting or new in the universe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As a fan of the franchise, should I watch Prometheus? Reviews and word of mouth out me off when it was on the cinema, but i think it's on Netflix now

As a fan of the franchise, should I watch Prometheus? Reviews and word of mouth out me off when it was on the cinema, but i think it's on Netflix now

Sure. I'm a fan of the Alien series and I didn't like Prometheus, but any fan owes it to themselves to watch the movie and form their own opinion on it.

overcast

I bought Aliens for a rewatch and it came with a $7.50 code towards a Covenant ticket. My theater is $6.50 all day Tuesday.

So I'll be watching this. Not bad for 8 dollars total.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've watched Prometheus like 3 times. It has a lot of issues, but I still like revisiting it. Seeing it in the theatre for the first time was actually a pretty great experience. In the best case scenario, Covenant is similar to that.

definitely

It's basically a shitty Alien film and that's not exactly a new thing to be endured. Watch it so you can be familiar with some aspects that will carry over to Covenant.

Also, it's got great visuals and a few scenes that live up to the standards of its predecessors.

Because everyone seemed to pour shit on it. Will give it a go.
Apart from some very questionable decisions made by a few characters I thought it was fine. I'm a massive fan of the Alien franchise but I'm also glad I'm not the sort of person who goes completely nuts over things which might not quite meet my expectations.

deleted

Prometheus is a 1980s slasher film with production values. That wasn't the writers intebt, but if you view it that way it's really fun. The science crew were pretty much Crystal Lake camp councillors.

Well, 80s slasher films usually don't deal with highly trained professionals that do dumb shit but high-school or college kids.
The movie breaks for me there. It's just dumb.
And knowing about the intended religious stuff makes it even worse.
But boy is it beautiful! Might also be the best 3D movie I've seen.

Spectone

Prometheus is worse than Resurrection. Resurrection has some absolutely aweful bits in it though. Alien 3 would have been a lot better if it did not start the way it did with killing Hicks and all trying to scrub away the previous movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Well, 80s slasher films usually don't deal with highly trained professionals that do dumb shit but high-school or college kids.
The movie breaks for me there. It's just dumb.
And knowing about the intended religious stuff makes it even worse.
But boy is it beautiful! Might also be the best 3D movie I've seen.

Eh, doctors and cops are ususally awful in those films. Military and scientists too. I mean they resurrected Jason in the future in space.

Prometheus can't be better than Resurrection simply because of this.

ripley_basketball.gif

tumblr_maa9dhgU2E1qjutm4o1_500.gif

TeZj8xI.gif

So 90s XD

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Just the fact that people are even still thinking about it 5 years on means Ridley did something right. I just love that Ridley gives absolutely zero fucks about what people think of his work. The man is 79 and he's gonna do what HE wants. Fuckin' A man!
I think about how it was the most disappointed I have ever been in a movie. It was my Phantom Menace (though objectively better than PM, I don't care about SW) at the time.

Resurrection is bad. A3 is kinda bad. Neither of those got my hopes up. I have room in my heart to hate a multitude of bad movies.

Sorry but I only do new movies. I'll take your word for it but I try to look at the future only,

Is that Hellboy? I take it these scenes are from Aliens, Alien 3 or something?

Alien 4/Resurrection

absolute basura, but I guess if you're bored and curious it's worth a watch just to see how far the Alien franchise had fallen since the first 2. Prometheus is better but neither are anything to write home about.

brehs...

Alien = Aliens

the Damned:
AvP > Alien 3 > Prometheus > Resurrection > AvP 2

AniHawk

Sorry but I only do new movies. I'll take your word for it but I try to look at the future only,

Is that Hellboy? I take it these scenes are from Aliens, Alien 3 or something?

yeah that's ron perlman and that's a scene from 1997's alien resurrection. sigourney weaver actually made that shot herself and that's basically the best thing about the movie.

mcrommert

Banned
I enjoy the some audiences will not find it as good as original movies

Well that means nothing... Nothing will ever be as good as alien and probably aliens... Doesn't mean new movies can't be good

There are people who are vehemently against old movies because they are in black and white. Having a stupid year cut off was the next step. It's more common than people would think

Alien and Aliens aren't even in black and white though. And while there's a lot of obvious hockey-pads-and-toy-guns going on in Aliens for the "marines," the creature effects are still top notch and hold up incredibly well today.

Top Bottom