• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early reactions to Alien: Covenant are in

Like I said already, sorry but i just dont. I'll see this covenant one because its new, wha other new movies are good to watch? I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 the other night.

Sorry but I only do new movies. I'll take your word for it but I try to look at the future only,

BIsYfjsCIAASngH.jpg:large

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Japanese release is September 15... Guess I'll be importing the BluRay before then. At least once the movie is over, I'll still have something to show for it. God damn you, Japanese cinema operators.

I know Japan tends to get movies later, but my god that's late!!!

Came here to complain and sulk about this. Thought this would have been this month. Turns out I was thinking about Guardiand otg vol.2 which opens this month.

I love Alien/Aliens so even with Prometheus sucking, I still love the world. For me, prometheus was like Avatar. Beatiful but bland. I still hope. I have hope. There's hope....right?

Oh, and AvP is the worst movie featuring these iconic aliens. Just bad paul ws as usual. He doesn't care but is a salesman. "Respecting the source material. I love avp" yadayada sales bullshit. Randy Pitchford of movies.

Quickedit: who does not watch old movies? Was that a troll? Can't be true.

Zombine

Banned
I always feel like "early previews" are influnced by people high on the fact that they got to see something before everyone else.

I got to see Transformers: Age of Extinction for free and you would think that I saw Citizen Kane on opening day.

Blader

I always feel like "early previews" are influnced by people high on the fact that they got to see something before everyone else.

I got to see Transformers: Age of Extinction for free and you would think that I saw Citizen Kane on opening day.
Well I guess that depends - how much do you like Citizen Kane?

ezekial45

Banned
Do we know what time the reviews will drop? I believe the last time they did a Saturday embargo, for the first trailer, it ended around 7pm?

Soooo there was a "20 things you need to know about Covenant" video my bud sent me yesterday and suuuuper light spoilers here concerning the end of Prometheus and this movie...

The video said that Covenant takes place on the Engineer home planet? Like I really enjoyed the prologue video they released a few days ago but... really??? not only is this starting to make space feel awfully fucking small but you divert your colonize space plan to check out a distress beacon? The engineer home planet is covered in death goo spores and proto-aliens? ...

I can probably shut my brain off and enjoy some decent Aliens style horror here if need be but I really REALLY want to enjoy a movie about the Engineers and the lore involved here and more and more it sounds like that's just not at all what any of these movies are going to be.
Covenant takes place ten years after Prometheus. Plenty of time for David and Shaw to get to the home world and for David to start using the place as a lab for himself.

Corpsepyre

Banned

I got to see the third Hobbit film for free on opening day here due to a promotion, and I thought it was rubbish.

Mr. Sam

Prometheus aimed to be profound but was really as dumb as rocks. I'm not sure I can ever forgive the space jockey being revealed as a big lad in an elephant suit, and that wasn't even the worst of it.

But fuck it, I'm back in out of curiosity.

It warms the cockles of my heart to see people with the clear spirit and foresight to appreciate the art that is Prometheus. Cheers to all of you. It feels good to be in your rare company.

Remember when critics and audiences bagged on The Thing & Blade Runner back in '81- then twenty years later these films were considered cinematic masterpieces?
Yeah, baby- here we are again in the trenches of misunderstanding of a true treat of cinema. By 2032, Prometheus will be the one with hipster t-shirts, anniversary editions, retrospective commentary by elderly Fassbender, Noomi, & Lindelof, and whatever futuristic replacement of YouTube there is filled to the porcelain lid with deep analysis videos and holographic AR breakdowns of the make-up of the black goo!

Those of us with the third eye can look back and say "Well yeah... I fucking knew this movie was great in 2012. So what?"

Might as well take the L now, Mr. Robert Roberts. Your words of slander and mockery of Sir Ridley's misunderstood (eventual) classic might as well be sitting on a milk shelf, because it's got an expiration date, son!

🙌🏻

PS- can't wait for your A:C review. If you could please send an autograph to PO Box 426, Tacoma, WA 98402... Thx! :D

You're thinking of fan Twitter reactions - the ones that say Suicide Squad and Fantastic Four were great movies. These generally get posted on fanboy rags like comicbookmovie.com.

Twitter reactions from actual paid critics are never universally positive. Just last weekend we had a thread for critic reactions to Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and they were far from glowing praise.

Kuraudo

Banned
Prometheus can't be better than Resurrection simply because of this.

ripley-bball.gifs

So 90s XD

I forgot how weird Resurrection was. I remember the most bizarre bit being when one guy has Winona Ryder at gunpoint and another guy, who happens to have an alien gestating inside of him, starts wailing on him with superhuman strength culminating with him holding the first guy's head against his chest so that a chestburster explodes through his skull. That and Ripley making out with the human-alien clone thing.

I'll probably go see Covenant when it comes out. I have no real hope for it being the first genuinely good Alien film in over three decades, but while all the Alien films since the second have been failures, they've at least all been interesting ones.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I forgot how weird Resurrection was. I remember the most bizarre bit being when one guy has Winona Ryder at gunpoint and another guy, who happens to have an alien gestating inside of him, starts wailing on him with superhuman strength culminating with him holding the first guy's head against his chest so that a chestburster explodes through his skull. That and Ripley making out with the human-alien clone thing.

I'll probably go see Covenant when it comes out. I have no real hope for it being the first genuinely good Alien film in over three decades, but while all the Alien films since the second have been failures, they've at least all been interesting ones.

Fucking Joss Whedon, man.

Yeah, it gets... weird.

fW3Qcbr.jpg

There are people who are vehemently against old movies because they are in black and white. Having a stupid year cut off was the next step. It's more common than people would think

Yeah I know, I'm just flabbergasted by how picky and arbitrary it is every time lol. Same when I meet people who refuse to watch foreign movies because they're subtitled.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe they are really going with that mid credits scene
David: "You know, xenomorph, we really are the Alien: Covenant"

in seriousness Variet posted a pre embargo review by mistake but pulled it before I could read it.

Blader

Yeah I know, I'm just flabbergasted by how picky and arbitrary it is every time lol. Same when I meet people who refuse to watch foreign movies because they're subtitled.

I can see how, if you've never watched a foreign film before, you can think that watching something with subtitles would be added effort you don't really want. But Jesus Christ, Aliens is from the 80s! It's not black and white, it's not slow, it's in English. Doesn't get any easier than that :lol

Can't believe they are really going with that mid credits scene
David: "You know, xenomorph, we really are the Alien: Covenant"

in seriousness Variet posted a pre embargo review by mistake but pulled it before I could read it.

Looks like this guy saw some of it before it was pulled:

Apparently @Variety broke the #AlienCovenant review embargo, but their main points involved Scott's still-stunning cinematography,..

...The sequel's lack of philosophical layers versus #Prometheus, its recycling of well-worn #Alien franchise tropes (cannon fodder ahoy)...

...And the seemingly undiminished strength of Fassbender's work both as Walter and David. Not quite what yours truly was hoping to hear...

I can see how, if you've never watched a foreign film before, you can think that watching something with subtitles would be added effort you don't really want. But Jesus Christ, Aliens is from the 80s! It's not black and white, it's not slow, it's in English. Doesn't get any easier than that :lol

Looks like this guy saw some of it before it was pulled:

welp

I never take early impressions seriously.

One I'll always remember is a film writer on Twitter who said Age Of Ultron made them cry tears of joy as it was the perfect comic book movie.

Hyperbole and early access to films will always taint things.
Or that The Strangers was one of the scariest movies ever made. That movie was a giant piece of dog shit.

Resurrection might not be a great Alien movie but it's the perfect companion to The Fifth Element. If you watch both of them back to back with the right dosage of alcohol, they morph together into the ultimate Métal Hurlant adaptation we never got.

Blader

I can see pretty easily why someone would think Age of Ultron is their perfect comic book movie.

Aliens, yeah, that was a pretty feel-good ending, but Alien ended with "all my friends are dead and I'm just going to drift in space here alone. Maybe forever."

Those are the facts of the situation, but I feel like the prevailing mood of Alien's ending is, Ripley survived and got out.

Any slasher movie involves most of the lead character's friends being killed, but if the lead him/herself survives and stops the killer, it's a happy ending.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Aliens, yeah, that was a pretty feel-good ending, but Alien ended with "all my friends are dead and I'm just going to drift in space here alone. Maybe forever."

Even the music at the end of Alien is happy lol. It definitely doesn't have a somber tone. "I should reach the frontier in about 6 weeks." implies that she'll be found soon enough and feels good about her chances. The whole thing about her drifting in space for decades wasn't part of the story yet.

You don't get it, man. It's in the past! I'm looking toward my future.

kevin1025

Banned
Sorry but I only do new movies. I'll take your word for it but I try to look at the future only

All movies are old! They have premieres and are at film festivals and have test screenings before they come out. You can never watch a movie again!

(I sure hope you watched some good movies before this came into effect.)

Top Bottom