• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't think the Allies should be rushing reviews to meet deadlines. It's nice when it works out but personally, I wouldn't mind if they decided to be a bit more picky going forward (especially now with Don't Skip). And better to have a great review, than one that's rushed to meet deadlines.

But that might just be my perception of it. I started watching late last year and it's been a pretty packed Q1 so it feels like they're trying to keep up with the sheer onslaught of games and this very well might be EZA being picky.

I would also love a GB quicklook type deal for for some of the games. Maybe balance the load between reviews, don't skip and quick looks. For example, I loved when Blood was playing Andromeda before one of the group streams. For me, that is all I need to see from that particular game along with listening to some of his thoughts. I'm sure other games will fall into that category as well in the future.

Yeah, I think it'd be a good idea to have stream games if they're going to skip a review (or even just have a late review), preferably with at least a couple Allies on it and no subscriber songs. Then put the stream up on their main Youtube channel as what would basically be the equivalent of a quick look.

VanWinkle

Man, I was watching some video on Youtube - can't remember what - and one of the suggested videos was The Trial of Kyle Bosman. I had completely forgotten about that incredible video, and I ended up just watching the entire thing again.

It's truly one of the best things that has come out of EZA.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Hollow Knight with the FF7 full playthrough Gametrailers vod in the background like someone suggested a few pages ago(and man great stuff these 2-3 man streams are just something special, reminds me also of the EZA hearthstone tournament last year. Too bad they're not easy to schedule currently.)

As for Hollow Knight what a maaaaassive game. It's surprisingly big.
I technically finished it but I didn't 100% it. I also know now what made the exploration extra special for me. There's a good amount of Souls DNA in that game when it comes to exploration and lore and as you progress also kind of the tone. And the challenge is there too at least for me I really struggled in certain places.

Man honestly I'm just going to declare 2017 the best year in gaming for me now. Doesn't even matter what else comes out. Everything I bought this year has been exceptional in some way. And the best things is there has been soooo much variety. 2016 was a very (J)RPG heavy year for me. Not complaining love that genre so much but mean you can burn out from anything if you overdo it. 2017 has been so refreshing between Yakuza 0, Nioh, Nier A and Hollow Knight.

Also just to throw it out there what should be my next buy between Horizon and Gravity Rush 2? Wildy different games, currently kind of leaning towards GR2 but just kind of curious to maybe hear some opinions from the community.
--------------------------
Hearing these weird/out there podcast ads for squarespace on other shows made me wonder kind of wonder what the EZA version would be. I know people are very ad sensitive but I kind of wonder what EZA would come up with if they ever provided a super premium sponsor tier where they had to produce themselves a ~30 sec ad to throw into their videos. I imagine chances are it turning out to be something hilarious.

Honestly, I don't think the Allies should be rushing reviews to meet deadlines. It's nice when it works out but personally, I wouldn't mind if they decided to be a bit more picky going forward (especially now with Don't Skip). And better to have a great review, than one that's rushed to meet deadlines.

But that might just be my perception of it. I started watching late last year and it's been a pretty packed Q1 so it feels like they're trying to keep up with the sheer onslaught of games and this very well might be EZA being picky.

I would also love a GB quicklook type deal for for some of the games. Maybe balance the load between reviews, don't skip and quick looks. For example, I loved when Blood was playing Andromeda before one of the group streams. For me, that is all I need to see from that particular game along with listening to some of his thoughts. I'm sure other games will fall into that category as well in the future.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Seeing Blood mention that Gies binged 80 hours of Mass Effect in such a short span of time for a deadline is not the kind of thing I want to expect the group to do, especially so when their plates are as full as they seem to be right now.

Deimo5

Was there any indication whether the Persona 5 review will be ready at the time of the embargo drop? By all accounts the game is a pretty huge time sink.

Mista Koo

Tried listening to EZAnime for the first time. I don't think I like the improvisational format.

That's another issue I have with them. "Media blackouts" when you are both 1. the media and 2. a small team that needs every hand on deck, lol.
I strongly agree. I don't think you can afford to be on media blackout when you are covering something. It's ok to not actively look up stuff, but being on a panel on a live stream and closing your eyes is not.

Just finished Hollow Knight with the FF7 full playthrough Gametrailers vod in the background like someone suggested a few pages ago(and man great stuff these 2-3 man streams are just something special, reminds me also of the EZA hearthstone tournament last year. Too bad they're not easy to schedule currently.)

As for Hollow Knight what a maaaaassive game. It's surprisingly big.
I technically finished it but I didn't 100% it. I also know now what made the exploration extra special for me. There's a good amount of Souls DNA in that game when it comes to exploration and lore and as you progress also kind of the tone. And the challenge is there too at least for me I really struggled in certain places.

Man honestly I'm just going to declare 2017 the best year in gaming for me now. Doesn't even matter what else comes out. Everything I bought this year has been exceptional in some way. And the best things is there has been soooo much variety. 2016 was a very (J)RPG heavy year for me. Not complaining love that genre so much but mean you can burn out from anything if you overdo it. 2017 has been so refreshing between Yakuza 0, Nioh, Nier A and Hollow Knight.

Also just to throw it out there what should be my next buy between Horizon and Gravity Rush 2? Wildy different games, currently kind of leaning towards GR2 but just kind of curious to maybe hear some opinions from the community.
--------------------------
Hearing these weird/out there podcast ads for squarespace on other shows made me wonder kind of wonder what the EZA version would be. I know people are very ad sensitive but I kind of wonder what EZA would come up with if they ever provided a super premium sponsor tier where they had to produce themselves a ~30 sec ad to throw into their videos. I imagine chances are it turning out to be something hilarious.

For me, Gravity Rush 2 takes it by a nose but it might depend on what you want to play right now. Horizon is the better game overall IMO because GR2 isn't without its issues, the combat is a bit clunky (really needed a proper lock-on IMO) and the camera can go nuts at times, but I love the characters and it's so fun and unique to play. In any other open world game, you see your destination on the map and then it's a matter of running/driving to it while climbing hills, crossing rivers, etc. In Gravity Rush 2, you can fucking fly, so it's never a hassle to get somewhere. There's nothing else remotely like it, aside from the original (which did a good job of laying the bricks down for GR2),

Was there any indication whether the Persona 5 review will be ready at the time of the embargo drop? By all accounts the game is a pretty huge time sink.

I think the only thing we've heard is that they got their review copy pretty early.

So I just finished Telltale's Batman and I didn't realise Jones was in one of the Batman Unmasked videos for it. That's pretty cool. I couldn't watch it from the game menu because the stream died seconds into it but I'll try watching it on Youtube tomorrow.

As for the game itself, eh. It was okay, I guess. Same problems most Telltale games do though: runs like shit, the choices never seem like they matter and the story is way too contrived. Garbage Joker too.

Kneefoil

I don't think the media blackouts are that big of an issue. There are so many Allies that even if one, two, or even three of them go on an all-out blackout for some game, there are still others that can cover that game, if they feel its worth covering.

I've only ever heard of Bosman & Huber going on media blackout in the past and the games they did it for were ones which they weren't reviewing anyway.

I don't think it's a big problem to be honest. Until Cooking Mama Switch, well, God help us then.

Servbot24

Banned
That's another issue I have with them. "Media blackouts" when you are both 1. the media and 2. a small team that needs every hand on deck, lol.

But they could easily avoid spoilers by doing follower/sub only chat. Many streamers are doing that right now.

I think when you turn games into an obligation rather than something to be enjoyed, EZA stops being EZA

Nasbin

You know Huber likes to throw around the whole religious experience thing but I swear to all the gods, Nier Automata has several moments that straight up altered my perspective on life. This game is spiritual in the most sincere way and I'm still tearing up several days later just thinking about random moments and characters.

I want to run down the street and bang on peoples' doors and yell at them to play this game. It just might save the world. Game of the forever.

My plan after Persona 5 was to hit up Gravity Rush 2, finally. But all the impressions on this thread are really making me consider going straight to Nier: A.

Roubjon

My plan after Persona 5 was to hit up Gravity Rush 2, finally. But all the impressions on this thread are really making me consider going straight to Nier: A.

I absolutely love both Nier: A and Gravity Rush 2, but I'd say play Nier first. Plus I'd imagine the vibes from P5 are closer to the vibes of Gravity Rush, so changing it up would probably make more sense.

I don't think the media blackouts are that big of an issue. There are so many Allies that even if one, two, or even three of them go on an all-out blackout for some game, there are still others that can cover that game, if they feel its worth covering.

Yea, I don't think so either. If you cover the news (announcements/info) such as the Zelda DLC for example, does it really matter if you haven't seen all the BotW trailers pre-release?

Enjoy route A at your pace in Nier. Rush through route B so you can experience the greatness of C.

Don't be like me, I took 5-6 hours with route B and it was boring stuff. Just ignore everything in B and head for the finish line.

sora87

I couldn't pick between Nier Automata and Gravity Rush 2, they're both on the same level of incredible and whichever people choose to play first you can't go wrong.

Roubjon

Enjoy route A at your pace in Nier. Rush through route B so you can experience the greatness of C.

Don't be like me, I took 5-6 hours with route B and it was boring stuff. Just ignore everything in B and head for the finish line.

I completely disagree. Every quest in the game is worth doing in my eyes.

sora87

When you thought it was frame trap week but remembered the dates wrong :(
mXRwivz.gif

abrack08

Someone's lost a bet here, haven't they? Jones?

C8BCJlpVQAE3Yis

I think Bosman conceded he was gonna lose this one a while ago. No idea what the punishment of the bet was though.

Edit: Found it, that bet tracker thread on the EZA forum is pretty useful.

Stakes: The loser will have to draw a entirely brand new page 14 for a Guardians of the Galaxy comic.
Jones will have to use characters from the movie and Bosman will have to use the characters from the trailer.

I'm always down for more Kyle art.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
For me, Gravity Rush 2 takes it by a nose but it might depend on what you want to play right now. Horizon is the better game overall IMO because GR2 isn't without its issues, the combat is a bit clunky (really needed a proper lock-on IMO) and the camera can go nuts at times, but I love the characters and it's so fun and unique to play. In any other open world game, you see your destination on the map and then it's a matter of running/driving to it while climbing hills, crossing rivers, etc. In Gravity Rush 2, you can fucking fly, so it's never a hassle to get somewhere. There's nothing else remotely like it, aside from the original (which did a good job of laying the bricks down for GR2),
Interesting. Yeah the main reason I was leaning GR2 is that while I don't have a clear sense what type of game I want to play currently gameplay wise I was kind of in the mood for a game that inspires wonder. And that's generally something that happens mostly with Japanese games for me. Like yeah Horizon looks quite out there as far as Western games go but still what I feel like from the trailers is mostly amazed at how realized it is but it doesn't spark the wonder. It lacks that "estranging weirdness" quality for me that so often are just intrinsic part of Japanese games. Thanks for the impressions.
Yeah I would disagree with that too but I can also easily see how one could feel this way especially when you come of a game like Yakuza or pretty much almost any other major release in the last few months. The presentation aspect for Nier:A quest is not very high, so you need to really invest as a player into digging and reading to get stuff out of it similar to how Dark Souls lore works in certain wise. It's not something for everyone and while it's in certain way to me brilliant how easily you fall into an automated MMO routine for quest in Nier:A and the commentary with that, that also doesn't make digging deeper into things a very intuitive action to take.

demu

I finally watched every episode of The Final Bosman and now I'm kinda sad. I know I'm by far not the first one to say this, but the world needs another Bosman show similar to that, be it once a week or once a month. Kyle has so much talent and it's being a little bit wasted at the moment.
But oh well, let's see what happens when the Allies get their studio in the future.

Also, Final Bosman spoiler:
RIP my fellow German Schluffe. I'm absolutely shocked that you are dead for real. I hoped until the last episode that it was all a hoax. :(

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Also, Final Bosman spoiler:
RIP my fellow German Schluffe. I'm absolutely shocked that you are dead for real. I hoped until the last episode that it was all a hoax. :(

Es tut mir leid.

I mean, even ignoring the design of the side quests themselves, a large portion of the first half of route B is a repeat of route A that it's practically filler that pads the game out for no good reason.

Its not just the repeat though that's the issue though, it's a repeat with limited combat that doesn't nearly flow as well as route A that made it boring for me. ​A weird moveset, the new mechanic it introduces got tiring super fast and some of the new story bits seemed to be dropped in without a thought.

Route B could've been integrated into A sort of like how C is working out and it would've been far better.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, even ignoring the design of the side quests themselves, a large portion of the first half of route B is a repeat of route A that it's practically filler that pads the game out for no good reason.

Well that I super disagree with, hard to talk about it without getting into spoiler territory but the perspective shift works super well in basically giving a toooooooooon of added context to everything that happened. Route B is basically contemplation and makes you actively question everything route A was. I also disagree with that it would work better if A/B were merged. For one it doesn't for the fact that you can't have the player contemplate on things if you merge them(cause how weird would it be to repeat the same thing in quick succession.) And going through the same things with different eyes is so essential to it working. It just would be a very different intention/statement if you had no repetition and simply had switches from section to section.
Honestly I just don't connect with route B is there to pad things out it's one of the few examples in gaming that very consciously uses repetition as a tool of the medium.
https://twitter.com/BenMoore035/status/846775270430273536
Ben Moore said:
It may not hit the 9 a.m. embargo tomorrow, but I'm working to get you the Persona 5 review as soon as possible. Should be before Friday.

This is the latest update on it. Can't wait I have one burning question related to the localization I'm sooooo curious.

Well that I super disagree with, hard to talk about it without getting into spoiler territory but the perspective shift works super well in basically giving a toooooooooon of added context to everything that happened. Route B is basically contemplation and makes you actively question everything route A was. I also disagree with that it would work better if A/B were merged. For one it doesn't for the fact that you can't have the player contemplate on things if you merge them(cause how weird would it be to repeat the same thing in quick succession.) And going through the same things with different eyes is so essential to it working. It just would be a very different intention/statement if you had no repetition and simply had switches from section to section.
Honestly I just don't connect with route B is there to pad things out it's one of the few examples in gaming that very consciously uses repetition as a tool of the medium.

https://twitter.com/BenMoore035/status/846775270430273536

This is the latest update on it. Can't wait I have one burning question related to the localization I'm sooooo curious.

That doesn't really start to happen until the second half of the route mostly though. The first half is a few additions and a slightly different perspective as you do pretty much the same thing as route A.

The second half, I can see that argument and I had no issues with it. But there's a lot of it that's just absolutely the same. And I honestly am not sure what having some of those scenes repeat does for me in the first half because so much in the first half is shared, there is no extra context just to see it from a slightly different perspective. And that's very apparent in route B itself. The first half and the second half are wildly different in quality because the second half actually uses the differing perspective in a meaningful way where as the first half is the stuff you'd see in anime filler. A few scenes among a bunch of repeated content.

When you thought it was frame trap week but remembered the dates wrong :(
mXRwivz.gif

I was the same way :(

How many of the endings are must-play/canon? I want to play the game, but reading it has 20 something endings has me not wanting to play it.

How many of the endings are must-play/canon? I want to play the game, but reading it has 20 something endings has me not wanting to play it.

Don't think of the game as endings. That's a bit of a misnomer. The "endings" are actually more like parts. Ending A is more the end of part 1, ending B, the end of part 2 and so on. So it's a fairly normal progression to the games end.

abrack08

I'm currently smack dab in the middle of Route B, and while I'm still enjoying the game tons, I don't think it's had much new perspective/context to offer the
desert, amusement park, Pascal's village, or the ship/underground sections. It really has been playing through the same sections with only one weapon and a short, almost unrelated cutscene every now and then, usually when you enter a new area. I actually like hacking a lot, and can't wait to get into some of those locked doors I found later, but I'd say a good 90+% is pretty much unchanged so far.
Can't wait until the latter half and subsequent routes though. I'm not really complaining, just don't really see the new perspective Holundrian mentioned yet.

I'm currently smack dab in the middle of Route B, and while I'm still enjoying the game tons, I don't think it's had much new perspective to offer the
desert, amusement park, Pascal's village, or the ship/underground section. It really has been playing through the same sections with only one weapon and a short, almost unrelated cutscene every now and then, usually when you enter a new area. I actually like hacking a lot, and can't wait to get into some of those locked doors I found later, but I'd say a good 90+% is pretty much unchanged so far. Can't wait until the latter half and subsequent routes though, I'm not really complaining, just don't really see the new perspective you've mentioned yet.

Yea, when you get to the second half, that's where most of the changes are. The
forest
onwards.

abrack08

I'm only on Route B and I've tried to avoid spoilers so I'm not an expert, but I believe there are main 5 routes/endings. 26 total, but a lot of those are jokey endings, like if you
eat a fish that's poisonous to Androids.
(not a story spoiler, just a short description of said "joke"ish ending)

Don't think of the game as endings. That's a bit of a misnomer. The "endings" are actually more like parts. Ending A is more the end of part 1, ending B, the end of part 2 and so on. So it's a fairly normal progression to the games end.

I'm only on Route B and I've tried to avoid spoilers so I'm not an expert, but I believe there are main 5 routes/endings. 26 total, but a lot of those are jokey endings, like if you
eat a fish that's poisonous to Androids.
(not a story spoiler, just a short description of said "joke"ish ending)

Thank everyone! I'll be playing it over the summer after I'm done with the beast known as Persona 5.

abrack08

Thank everyone! I'll be playing it over the summer after I'm done with the beast known as Persona 5.

Yeah I was pretty sure I was on pace to finish off Nier before P5, but now... I've got 1 week to do 3.5 routes. No idea how long the later ones are but it's gonna be a tight squeeze. Not sure what I'll do, I really don't want to leave Nier and come back, but I REALLY don't want to delay playing Persona 5.

Joqu

Yeah I'm not touching Nier until I'm done with Persona 5. Zelda's already being more of a time sink than I anticipated

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't really start to happen until the second half of the route mostly though. The first half is a few additions and a slightly different perspective as you do pretty much the same thing as route A.

The second half, I can see that argument and I had no issues with it. But there's a lot of it that's just absolutely the same. And I honestly am not sure what having some of those scenes repeat does for me in the first half because so much in the first half is shared, there is no extra context just to see it from a slightly different perspective. And that's very apparent in route B itself. The first half and the second half are wildly different in quality because the second half actually uses the differing perspective in a meaningful way where as the first half is the stuff you'd see in anime filler. A few scenes among a bunch of repeated content.

Mmmh dunno what to say it just seems like we have had pretty different experiences.
I think there's maybe some fair criticism in that the game not having an option to automatically skip major cutscenes that are exactly the same? At least that's what I did since the scenes that are different to my knowledge have very clear indicators for that but if you don't really know that you might sit through the same stuff in hope that something is different.

But beyond that I have to say for me the game has been very different from basically the desert part and onward mostly through the different sidequest that unlock.
Like the desert basically has a whole sidequest that kind of confirms suspicions you might have had based on how the robots are dressed in there and gives more context to that place. The amusement park scene + the Jean Paul quest basically connect fully in route B. And there's just a ton of other smaller and more subtle things.

For people that get tired of gameplay in route B I recommend adjusting your chipset to being very hacking oriented and really play around with that. I think it's very easy to just fall into the rut of just hack detonating everything but subjugation and control can really provide some weird and fun and unexpected scenarios.

Philippo

You know Huber likes to throw around the whole religious experience thing but I swear to all the gods, Nier Automata has several moments that straight up altered my perspective on life. This game is spiritual in the most sincere way and I'm still tearing up several days later just thinking about random moments and characters.

I want to run down the street and bang on peoples' doors and yell at them to play this game. It just might save the world. Game of the forever.

I actually agree.
The more i think about it the more i find deep psychological and ethical meanings to all of it, and i'm still missing Ending E.
It's soooo above anything that has been written in gaming before it's ridiculous.
I don't think i will ever forget about this game.

I really want as many Allies as possible to play it.
I'm sure Huber, Brad and Ian's minds will be blown in ways they do not expect
Maybe Kyle too, since Yoko Taro is basically the Bosman of game developement.

Es tut mir leid.

I knew what that was even before opening the tag lol

Jones just teased him and Kyle will be shooting a Just Played-esque video later today (not Don't Skip)

Also, I'll spoiler this in case people don't want to know but the upcoming Fiasconauts will
have Ian's Dad in it

Yeah I was pretty sure I was on pace to finish off Nier before P5, but now... I've got 1 week to do 3.5 routes. No idea how long the later ones are but it's gonna be a tight squeeze. Not sure what I'll do, I really don't want to leave Nier and come back, but I REALLY don't want to delay playing Persona 5.

I'm right there with you, I'm currently playing Mass Effect and while the game isn't bad it's not amazing either so I know if I don't finish it before next Tuesday I never will.

Mista Koo

I've only ever heard of Bosman & Huber going on media blackout in the past and the games they did it for were ones which they weren't reviewing anyway.
It doesn't have to do with reviews, it has to do when it affect the content they produce (such as closing their eyes in a stream that people watch to see your reactions). It's not a big issue, at least not until they ignore a hot news topic on the podcast because Kyle/Huber is on media blackout and doesn't want to hear about it.

Burt

Oh duuuude Brad played Momodra, sweet. Gotta catch up, with that and Hollow Knight too.

Momodora was the "YOU NEED TO PLAY HOLLOW KNIGHT" before Hollow Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom