• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Finally caught up to TTE again.

1490319300197.jpg

Damn that's good

VanWinkle

Firstly, loved the structure. It definitely should not be freestyle, it needs to be sectioned (especially when it comes to big games). I believe the structure Kyle gave this show produced the best insight/critique from the panel.

I know you shouldn't rate critique on whether you agree with the opinions but this Spoiler Mode was very satisfying for me as I feel some of the issues I had with the game were discussed and not drowned beneath the hyperbole that has surrounded some aspects.

Definitely agree with the following...

-
The hardest battle is the two rock-burrower machines in the Corrupted Zone that Jones mentions and makes the final boss battle seem a little anti-climactic. Especially as we know Guerilla is capable of very good boss battles.

-
Huber nails how the game handles the timing of the lore-dumps very badly as you are swamped with things to read/listen to whilst you're expected to listen to character VA AND play the game on top of that. Glad that was mentioned 'cause I haven't seen it criticised anywhere.

-
Side charcters have absolutely no character and you don't care about their problems and in my opinion, were gatekeeping me feeling fully absorbed in the world.

But yeah, combat is the best thing about the game and I'm very optimistic about where the franchise could head. I think what Huber said about this possibly being the Uncharted 1 of the series is quite level-headed.

Just a really realistic take on the game in this show. They praised the game for what it does well and hung it up when certain things aren't quite as impressive as they should be. I really hope if there are Spoiler Modes on Witcher 3, Persona 5 and other critically-acclaimed games, they take the same approach! Excellent!

I feel like it's wrong to say that they're being "realistic" because they had the same problems you had, or calling the stuff you disgreee with "hyperbole." Like, I don't think the game is perfect by any means, but I don't agree at all with the side character critique (at least relative to other games' side characters).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Allies I need advice regarding Persona 5

These are really long games but seem designed to need 2 playthroughs to see everything content wise and to get the best ending without a guide. When I played Persona 3 back in the day I used a spoiler free guide that helped get all max links and good ending on the first playthrough. It was still a 100 hour game but I got the most out of it.

Now Persona 5 is rolling in, there's a spoiler free guide and I'm wondering if I use it again. There's too many other games out there for me to do 2 playthroughs and I don't want to spend 100 hours to then not get the true ending. But the guide will rob some of the "free" choice of the game.

I think I know which guide you're talking about, and I've peeked at it a little bit. Honestly about 90% of it is what I already did/was doing/would have done anyway. The game is really good about giving you constant updates and suggestions about what you might want to be doing on most days, and the online component of the game (the Thieves Guild) lets you see what other players have chosen to do on the same day, so you can get a good sense of what some of your best options likely are.

I'm only just past midterms in May right now in the game, but it seems pretty tough to totally botch it as long as you make sure you're doing something that provides some kind of value to you.

Philippo

I just happened to watch an old match of Hajime no Ippo on YT and then remembered somebody gifted the first episodes to the Allies.

Someone please have Huber watch this, because i swear its the perfect anime for him!

abrack08

So I'm deathly afraid of being spoiled in any NieR thread, and it's been talked about in here a few times, so I'm gonna try asking in here:

I just finished Route B last night. I have no idea what to expect in the remaining routes
(except that I will be playing as A2 at some point, thanks Ben!)
, is there any chance I'll be able to finish 3 routes before Persona on Tuesday? Are all 3 as long as A and B? Longer? Shorter? Am I gonna need to look up how to get E?

Hasney

So I'm deathly afraid of being spoiled in any NieR thread, and it's been talked about in here a few times, so I'm gonna try asking in here:

I just finished Route B last night. I have no idea what to expect in the remaining routes
, is there any chance I'll be able to finish 3 routes before Persona on Tuesday? Are all 3 as long as A and B? Longer? Shorter?

C is a little shorter than A but probably longer than B unless you went side quest heavy. The rest will be very short.

So yeah, you got time. Don't look up how to get E. I'll just say that you should say yes and that you shouldn't give up!

, is there any chance I'll be able to finish 3 routes before Persona on Tuesday? Are all 3 as long as A and B? Longer? Shorter? Am I gonna need to look up how to get E?
The third route is longer than B. Probably 10ish hours

C and D are just different endings based on a choice at the end. You can get E after doing both (don't have to play through the entire route twice though don't worry)

Hasney

There was some Funhaus post about Elyse on Reddits all feed so I had a look inside and the chain of the top comment was basically praising Don for being hilarious. Glad that's being exposed even wider.

Mista Koo

I just happened to watch an old match of Hajime no Ippo on YT and then remembered somebody gifted the first episodes to the Allies.

Someone please have Huber watch this, because i swear its the perfect anime for him!
Nah, Gurren Lagann is. Kamina and Simon are essentially Huber and Ben.

I always make an effort to use italics or something when sarcasming it up on here, but even then that usually isn't enough

So seeing what looks like just a regular ol' rage post throws up the red flag lol

N° 2048

What other podcasts do you folks listen to?

I pretty much only listen to EZA, KindaFunny and Game Scoop.

Looking for more like EZA...

In addition to those 3 I also listen to the Giant Bomb podcast and each console podcast from IGN (Beyond, Unlocked, and NVC).

Edit: I do wait until someone in the comments puts time stamps for the Giant Bombcast as it usually has a lot of filler IMO.

Burt

Spoiler Mode was great, keep 'em up.

I would recommend against Witcher 3 though. With so many great games having come out just recently, that ship has definitely sailed.

Giant Beastcast seems to be a favorite

I'm partial to the Bombcast but the team has taken some hits with losing staff (to Giant Bomb East and other projects)

Gaming related I like Idle Thumbs, Watch Out For Fireballs and newly discovered Vidjagame Apocalypse.

Bonfireside Chat is great for super in-depth Souls stuff.

sora87

I should probably broaden my horizons a bit as i only listen to EZA and Kinda Funny. Just such a hassle getting involved with a new podcast and learning who everyone is and their individual styles etc.

Also I want a Fisconauts with Ian, Sofia, AJ and Jon Finger.

The persona 5 review ain't out yet?
Will they do a Persona 5 spoiler cast?

I'm sure they will, Spoiler Mode is their new show and almost everyone is gonna play it, even Jones! It would be strange if they don't do one for Persona 5. Also, where is the review Ben?!

Allies I need advice regarding Persona 5

These are really long games but seem designed to need 2 playthroughs to see everything content wise and to get the best ending without a guide. When I played Persona 3 back in the day I used a spoiler free guide that helped get all max links and good ending on the first playthrough. It was still a 100 hour game but I got the most out of it.

Now Persona 5 is rolling in, there's a spoiler free guide and I'm wondering if I use it again. There's too many other games out there for me to do 2 playthroughs and I don't want to spend 100 hours to then not get the true ending. But the guide will rob some of the "free" choice of the game.

I'm in the same conundrum and I think I'm going to use the spoiler free guide to make sure I don't miss anything. I'm not going to rush through anything though, I'm going to take my time.

Giant Bombcast, Giant Beastcast and 8-4 Play.

My favourite podcasts are Frame Trap and the Giant Beastcast.

I haven't watched Spoiler Mode yet but I love that they've created this show and can't wait to watch it. I really hope Huber has backed away from the "it should be more like BotW" rubbish he was bringing up on Frame Trap though.

I'm a little surprised that I feel compelled to say this, but I guess it's not super clear and that's on me. Friday wasn't an extended deadline for the P5 review, it was a "I would really like it to be done at this time" kind of thing. It's not done.

Every spare second that I've had has been spent on the review and I don't want to put it up until I feel confident in doing so. It's super long, obviously, and I want to give it the time it needs. We've also been shooting shows that need to go up on certain days and you guys don't see that stuff until it's ready. We all wear a lot of hats. So I guess what I'm trying to say is it's fine if people want to complain about when reviews come out, I sympathize with it and feel bad about it, but I do hope people at least try to understand that it's not laziness, but rather limitations of a small team and a commitment to not rushing through things.

I hope the time we put in shows in the final thing. We would love for all of it to happen right with everyone else all of the time, but it's not always possible. We're not running the same race as an IGN or something like that because we simply can't. It's more important to us that we're doing right by the people that support us so when we do publish something like a Persona 5 review it's as good as it can possibly be from a writing and editing standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom