• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

Those bans are harsh. Also, I much prefer interesting picks like Sim City 4 and Valkyria Chronicles to the obvious ones like Mario 64 or potentially Final Fantasy VII (not that it makes the latter any worse, it's just the argument is more interesting).

Lastly, whilst I'm not gonna sit here and disagree that Mario 64 is one of the best platformers of all time, the defensive arguments used by Brad and Damiani were pretty terrible, in my opinion. Especially in the face of Huber's Mario Galaxy arguments.

Like, Bosman said that the games have to "earn it" but the majority of the argument was based on nostalgia and then the two defended the game with variations on disagreements like "No, the game is great." or "It holds up!" - I think if you're gonna pull out one of the legendary titles like that, its too easy to rest on the game's reputation as your argument. I'm not saying the game doesn't deserve its place but I felt it got off easier (a WHOLE lot easier than World of Warcraft did)

------------------

Actual last thing, every time I hear the Allies arguments about whether a game should or should not go in to the HoG, I think of my first pick which would be Shadow of the Colossus - with the criteria that the Allies have put forward, theoretically the game should walk in to the HoG.

Mikey Jr.

Honestly, once they get rid of all the obvious ones, this will become much more interesting.

Still have the usual ocarina, Mario world, Ff7, etc. These are still a little too predictable.

Like why even bother making a case for your game if you have Mario 64 and street fighter there.

Doesn't matter what you say. It ain't getting in there.

Spinx

Super Mario 64 and Street Fighter 2
e5YuU.gif
Waste of 2 hours

L&R

Spinx

Yeah, the hall of greats should be not actually the greats, but random bullshit. Where was Bad Rats?! Waste of two hours!!

The only game that could stand with those two was Castlevania. The rest was filler

Here's a tough one. Metal Gear Solid 2 versus STOLEN !

Daggoth

Oh my god @ the Bloodworth visual aids

I can't

That gif gives me high hopes for Cold Blooded in E3 bets.
Yeah, I mean, no disrespect intended here because he did a great job during the Switch videos, but there was a doubt in my mind that he wouldn't quite match (or equal) Huber or Kyle's style. It's gone now. We expect great things now, Blood. Great things!

Kneefoil

I know there have been only two Hall of Greats, but both of them have had 3 games with a lot of votes and the rest of the games have had considerably less votes. Feels kinda bad leaving the third one out. Maybe they should allow three games with each induction, if this keeps up.

abrack08

I know there have been only two Hall of Greats, but both of them have had 3 games with a lot of votes and the rest of the games have had considerably less votes. Feels kinda bad leaving the third one out. Maybe they should allow three games with each induction, if this keeps up.

I think the more entries they accept each stream the less interesting it becomes. Mario 64 was a shoo-in, but it was interesting to see if SotN or SF2 could grab 2nd. If they took all 3 there'd be no drama at all!

I think they should move up the induction count to half the games presented until all the well-known, widely considered ones are in. Then start to cut back on the number of games that get in.

I don't know if that's a good idea in practice though, especially with the 1 year ban rule in effect. Or maybe half-in, half banned for a year will result in the maximum stress.

They could give the third spot to a patreon vote.

More interaction with the audience and no need for SotN to come back (like SF2)

I wonder if they'll do a current edition for hall of greats and what I mean is maybe spice it up a bit and have like games from 2008 onward or something to vote on. Otherwise in a way it's kinda predictable what games will make it in

Was getting ready for bed last night and I decided to take a gander at the EZA YouTube page. Totally forgot about the Souls Retrospective that's in the works. It got me all excited again.

I was also listening to friend code and when they brought up Golden Sun, my first thought was the get one of them to play through it and its sequel (GBA sequel).

Tsosie

Since they have added bans to the HoGs, I would like to see them add another set of bans. Primarily HoG inductee franchise bans for 1 year. Ie. Super Mario 64 is in, whelp not Super Mario 3, no Galaxy. This should keep the franchises from coming up too often. If this has been brought up already, sorry.

My second idea is the pipe dream of a EZA fan. HoGs become a monthly award show. Leading up to the last Tuesday stream of each month each ally will record a 5 minute HoG speech (with multimedia if they choose) and it will be posted to YouTube. That way once the stream comes it will just be the defense portion and voting portion, leaving about 1 hour to play 30 minutes or so of each of the winners on stream. I know this is outside the realm of their current means, but a fan can dream.

Calling to now, box peek ain't happening.

No way they are staying above 44k after May.

They usually drop around 2k.

Blood explained this a bunch of times, the drop is bigger in the first day of the month, but as people resolve their payment issues it goes back up. A USD500 cushion seems to work out fine.

Edit: Also, someone did a big donation (USD1k i think?) and every payment greater than $100 has a pending charge, so I should be safe

Tsosie

Calling to now, box peek ain't happening.

No way they are staying above 44k after May.

They usually drop around 2k.

Do you know what their patron count was before the announcement? If that did not change too much then it seems like people may have just upped their pledge to hit it and then will move back down once it is official.

Hasney

Blood explained this a bunch of times, the drop is bigger in the first day of the month, but as people resolve their payment issues it goes back up. A USD500 cushion seems to work out fine.

Do you know what their patron count was before the announcement? If that did not change too much then it seems like people may have just upped their pledge to hit it and then will move back down once it is official.

Yup. And the guy that pledged $1k extra will have already paid up. Whatever shows on their Patreon at the start of the month does not reflect the truth. Only their bank balance will.

demu

Blood's visual aids had me in tears. Holy shit. I didn't see that coming at all. I respect him even more after that. <3

Mikey Jr.

Edit: Also, someone did a big donation (USD1k i think?) and every payment greater than $100 has a pending charge, so I should be safe

Jones just said on the live stream they have to stay above 44k.

We'll see. I'll keep this post for posterity.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, but not visible to us. What actually clears after failed payments are amended.

Same thing happened with E3 of dreams. They got above 40k,but dropped after the month. Went down to 39 something. Jones made a comment about that. Something about how they didn't reach 40k.

Dunno, we'll see.

Same thing happened with E3 of dreams. They got above 40k,but dropped after the month. Went down to 39 something. Jones made a comment about that. Something about how they didn't reach 40k.

Dunno, we'll see.
I think it'll hold. Last year it dipped even before the month ended. The patreon fanbase is more aware of the logistics now than a year ago when the patreon was only a couple months old. And then like now people are doing a one time surge. So even after the billing the drop that is expected to show on the page won't reflect what was bill.

Hasney

Box peek is just a one time $44k deal though.

That doesn't really matter. The drop at the 1st of the month is mostly failed payments, which means EZA are not actually getting that money. If they don't clear $44k on their Patreon statement, it's not going forward this month.

Auctopus

I don't wanna sign Ben up for something he hasn't confirmed yet but for people who haven't been watching Xenoblade Chronicles streams, Ben has expressed interest in doing a "Ben's Dojo" show for Tekken 7.

Presumably/hopefully in a similar fashion to BvZ where he attempts to improve and progress with the game's systems, weekly. Possibly not but that's what it sounded like.

Hasney

I don't wanna sign Ben up for something he hasn't confirmed yet but for people who haven't been watching Xenoblade Chronicles streams, Ben has expressed interest in doing a "Ben's Dojo" show for Tekken 7.

Presumably/hopefully in a similar fashion to BvZ where he attempts to improve and progress with the game's systems.

I think he spoke about it on one of the group streams where he trained up other Allies with him as an idea to replace BvW before Kyle said he had a plan for afterwards. be cool if that idea carries through.

Nah, that's the point. Only allow in the greatest of greats each time.

A year ban is fair. Wrt WoW, the allies need that year to regret their words and deeds.

Mista Koo

Possibly controversial opinion: I don't think SF2 is one of the greats in 2017.

Yeah, the hall of greats should be not actually the greats, but random bullshit. Where was Bad Rats?! Waste of two hours!!
I think what they are saying is that we don't need another person telling us how Super Mario 64 should be considered one of the best games ever. I'm pretty sure the allies who picked unexpected picks did it for the sake of variation and surprises along the same line.

Hasney

You don't have a hall of greats without, y'know, putting the greats in. I was entertained throughout and 2 deserving games got in. Although if Final Fantasy 7 isn't even nominated next time, screw 'em!

ST2K

You don't have a hall of greats without, y'know, putting the greats in. I was entertained throughout and 2 deserving games got in. Although if Final Fantasy 7 isn't even nominated next time, screw 'em!

The worry now is if they nominate 2 Final Fantasy games, split the vote, and none get in.

Axass

Presumably/hopefully in a similar fashion to BvZ where he attempts to improve and progress with the game's systems, weekly. Possibly not but that's what it sounded like.

That would be dope. I loved Tekken on PSX and PS2, I may get back into the series and pick up Tekken 7 if he does that.

Kneefoil

I think the more entries they accept each stream the less interesting it becomes. Mario 64 was a shoo-in, but it was interesting to see if SotN or SF2 could grab 2nd. If they took all 3 there'd be no drama at all!

I guess that's right. That's the same reason why I tried not to watch too closely how many votes each nominee got when Damiani typed them on the layout before the reveal. It just seems that so far the games that have got third place will inevitably end up in the Hall of Greats at some point, even though they fail the first time.

Possibly controversial opinion: I don't think SF2 is one of the greats in 2017.
Not that controversial, I don't think. It's not such a great game anymore - just OK. Pretty sure it was inducted more because of its legacy and because of what it did to the fighting game genre in general.

Hasney

It should probably be anything that gets over 10 votes for me. At that point, enough people think it is one of the greats that it should be in there.

Axass

With PS I Love You ending (and since Colin left), do you think Easy Allies have any chance to host something for Sony at PSX? Especially since Shu loves Kyle.

Sami+

What if Hall of Greats nominations were done in 2-3 year intervals? So everybody gets to pick games from 1990-1993 for instance and onwards. That way the discussion would be between Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Sonic, Street Fighter, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom