• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budi

I don't think it is either, in fact I'm pretty bummed that the Slusser Cup seems to be being phased out for the EZA Title belt as I felt the SC was a great trophy from the GT Era.

I think this is because they got that awesome belt from the fans, they used Slusser cup before that. It's still hanging in the background of Jones' garage, it occasionally shows in some of the shows. And they also keep the FF cutout reminiscent of GT times around. Certainly people who don't already know the story behind it, aren't making this connection though.

But yeah, I don't they are making an effort to remind us where they are from. But they aren't avoiding it either, it's brought up naturally from time to time. For example when they are talking about their old coworkers, poor Matt Blair just got mentioned =)

Edit: Since I'm top of the page and mentioned goddess earlier, I'll use this opportunity to quote Damiani on it's history. Since we have plenty of newcomers here and some might just have missed it on the first time! Especially since there were talk about memes on the earlier page.

Well, I'm sure this will pop up at some point in the future, but here's the history. Square Enix sent it to us at GameTrailers ahead of the release of Final Fantasy XIII (seemed to be at a time when a lot of companies were trying this, we got a life-sized statue for Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Tomb Raider - not sure where those ended up though). It sat along the cubicle wall behind Patrick's and my desk until we left Viacom. There were several instances where people wanted it gone or moved, but I kept it there. It ended up making the move with us to Defy, and it sat in an empty cubicle (for a time) where we also did some game capture before we got the new capture room. I think it also ended up in the stream room a few times. I also remember at some point, somebody at Defy wanted it gone or we should ditch it, but I ignored that person and kept it around anyway.

I forget when it started, but I think because of XIII-2, we at GT kept referring to her as the goddess. There was also a group of online friends of mine who kept bringing up Kitase and Toriyama's unending infatuation with Lightning and memes associated with it, as well as Square Enix's continual use of her despite XIII's reputation, that just lead me to continue to use her as a troll prop. I did a FF XIII PC stream at Defy where I made a shrine for Lightning with all these weird images Kitase/Toriyama had made for Lightning over the years (like "she must not be forgotten" and the one comparing her to a rose/flower). Stuff like that, basically.

I'm assuming in the time after leaving GT, the Lightning meme continued on, and as you all know, the guys all brought her out on the last day of GT for the goodbye stream. And now she's in Jones' garage. Lightning's been through/seen a lot in regards to GT/EZA history. She saw many of the major GT staff slowly depart in the final years, went through the sale to Defy and massive layoffs, the transition to Defy, the end of GameTrailers, and the birth of EZA. For me personally her significance is as a reminder of a different time in this industry and games media/press.

Kneefoil

I don't think it is either, in fact I'm pretty bummed that the Slusser Cup seems to be being phased out for the EZA Title belt as I felt the SC was a great trophy from the GT Era.

That bums me out, too. But y'know, the current belt was an expensive fan project, so I get that it would've been hard to say no to.

Axass

Why even mention the GameTrailers score in the Mario Kart review? The two new reviews are great, but that's just a weird addition to the Mario Kart one.

That was very weird actually, wanted to bring it up myself: I've never read or listened to a review citing an old review score or someone else's review score. I mean, I can't find any reason to do it and dropping "GameTrailers" in there will confuse lots of people. My first thought when I heard the 8.6 score was: "wow, 100 point scoring systems sure were silly"; the 5 stars approach is way better.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see Blood's comment.

Messiek

I present to you, Allies, the ultimate GAF gif. Usable in almost every thread.
giphy.gif

Edit: Since I'm top of the page and mentioned goddess earlier, I'll use this opportunity to quote Damiani on it's history. Since we have plenty of newcomers here and some might just have missed it on the first time! Especially since there were talk about memes on the earlier page.

Thanks for this, been wondering since I hopped aboard the EZA train a couple months ago.

Deimo5

Trashing the Slusser Cup played into Ultima Brad's heel persona. It could come back in some way if his #NewEra reign of terror ends.

abrack08

More Mario + Rabbids leaks, more juicy news for the podcast. Though Kyle might not want to talk about it since it's just a leaked picture.

Real Edit: Just saw the GAF thread updated with a lot more info, I guess it isn't just one leaked picture after all haha

Hasney

More Mario + Rabbids leaks, more juicy news for the podcast. Though Kyle might not want to talk about it since it's just a leaked picture.

Go to the updated thread. Wayyyy more than just a picture now. It even claims Mario used to use turtle shelves.

abrack08

Glad MegaMan Battle Network got a small shout out on Friend Code
(even if it was just "This seemed ok but I couldn't ever get into it")

I LOVED those games as a kid, probably still my favorite Mega Man games. So unique, I wish a game like that was still being made today.

emb

I LOVED those games as a kid, probably still my favorite Mega Man games. So unique, I wish a game like that was still being made today.
I really liked 'em too. I remember getting it and being mad it wasn't a Mega Man game (per the normal), but ended up enjoying it a bunch all the same. Found myself playing most of the series.

Budi

Ah, Gamecube era in the Friend code. Unfortunately this is the point where I dropped Nintendo. Still got to play some games on it because my friend had it. Will still be a fun listen I'm sure.

I loved Battle Network. Eagerly awaited every new installment and beat all of them within days. That series alongside MegaMan Zero makes GBA the peak MegaMan system. Unmatched really. Just a plethora of quality titles across the board.

LycanXIII

Talking about the Rebirth tech demo for the GCN and Damiani says "literally during this part you should be seeing this on screen," yet it's not there.

Talking about the Rebirth tech demo for the GCN and Damiani says "literally during this part you should be seeing this on screen," yet it's not there.

Sorry didn't have time to edit the episode and forgot while recording it that I would have no time to edit it. Literally left to go out of town that night after recording and the group stream and didn't get back till Sunday. Forgot that was in there, too.

LycanXIII

Sorry didn't have time to edit the episode and forgot while recording it that I would have no time to edit it. Literally left to go out of town that night after recording and the group stream and didn't get back till Sunday. Forgot that was in there, too.

It's cool, it wasn't a hard video to find haha.

Servbot24

Banned

Mega Man EXE 3 is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Mega Man Zero series was also fantastic. Best console for Mega Man, although the two very best Mega Man games (MMX and MML2) are on other platforms.

Finally caught up to the recent Frametrap. Whew.

Hubers love for the Prey Shotgun was my favorite bit. Ian's take on stories is a bit fascinating. I think he could've fleshed it out a bit more because to me there seemed to be a lot of stances that he holds that are contradicting each other (or at least how he's presenting it). But it seems that he's still trying to work through his thought process on it (e.g. Edith Finch vs. TLOU).

So I'm actually looking forward to his thoughts and seeing if he manages to crystalize the differences in his view points a bit more clearly.

Quonny

Just started listening to the podcast after knowing nothing about these guys.

This is fantastic. It's a nice blend of goofy and serious.

Just started listening to the podcast after knowing nothing about these guys.

This is fantastic. It's a nice blend of goofy and serious.
Nice! Definitely check out Frametrap which is their longer form podcast. And if you dig those and want more, let us know. They have a wide variety shows based on your tastes.

I actually don't think the arguments/questions against WoW were that strong. For a game that practically defines MMO's and still gets millions of subscribers with each expansion, the arguments were way too combative while also not really doing a good job at allowing Brandon to sell the audience on the game.

Huge contrast with the first two games that were presented.

What is Hall of Greats?

A group discussion in which the Easy Allies nominate games into the "Hall of Greats." It serves as sort of their official list of games that are the all time best.

Auctopus

World of Warcraft just is one of the greatest video games of all time but seeing as it's technically a service that has admittedly got worse, it's difficult to defend the sum of all its parts.

I think Jones should've specified the WOTLK expansion which was easily the game's finest hour.

Also, maybe he was playing devil's advocate but Huber's arguments were very weak - there were easy rebuttals. For someone who is obsessed with the industry zeitgeist, he must be aware of the benefit of being able to skip a decade of old content in order to play what's relevant. People play the game for different reasons, skipping a game that will take hundreds of hours of your life in order to experience what it's doing now isn't really a negative.

I actually don't think the arguments/questions against WoW were that strong. For a game that practically defines MMO's and still gets millions of subscribers with each expansion, the arguments were way too combative while also not really doing a good job at allowing Brandon to sell the audience on the game.

Huge contrast with the first two games that were presented.
I agree.

jett

D-Member
What is this nonsense from Kyle Bosman. Link's Awakening is cut from the same cloth as a game he hates, ALTTP, lol.

What is this nonsense from Kyle Bosman. Link's Awakening is cut from the same cloth as a game he hates, ALTTP, lol.
I agree with him, FWIW.

I think the single biggest thing for me personally is that 2D Zelda gameplay feels dated to me, and without technical constraints (NES, GB) to justify it, it's a huge negative (for me).

Auctopus

Sorry, I missed the beginning of the stream - is Damiani a special player? Like a double down on damiani?

I've only seen him come on the sofa for the Nintendo games and he's mainly just praised them or tried to gotcha Kyle? I thought they were meant to test the nominee.

Edit: oh, it's his entry too - I missed that.

abrack08

They're both great, but I do slightly prefer Link's Awakening as well.

Kyle Botchman allowing double Mario 64 entries! If it wins it should take up both slots for this induction ceremony.

I think allowing the same game to be presented twice (on the same night) is probably not the best plan, allows for collusion!

Galaxy 1 and 2 are BOTH better than 64

jett

D-Member
Bloodworth bringing the big guns. Mario 64 and SF2 should make it.

I agree with him, FWIW.

I think the single biggest thing for me personally is that 2D Zelda gameplay feels dated to me, and without technical constraints (NES, GB) to justify it, it's a huge negative (for me).

Yeah,the good part of that cloth.

Although I love LA and I can't get over Kyle bringing up ALTTP Jr. It's just funny to me, considering how much he hates its predecessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom