• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eating Pizza without dipping sauce? How do youse guys do it !!!

Qvoth

kinda regretted not having a real ny pizza when i visited ny few years back :<
so far best pizza i've had is 4p's in vietnam

Don't worry, there are Sbarros in other countries too:

Sbarro_pizza_world_map.png

Jotaka

dipping sauce with pizza
dipping sauce with barbecue
dipping sauce with chicken
dipping sauce with something

Dipping sauce is the main item

Cilla

I've never bought a pizza that came with dipping sauce? Isn't that what the toppings are for? Is this an American thing? You guys seem to hardly ever have toppings on pizzas.

____

I knew I had an old Pizza Pizza pic around somewhere. I present to you a chicken, pineapple and extra cheese pizza with a BBQ base. Of course I enjoyed it with jalapeno cheddar dipping sauce.

Please provide me with your address so that I may stop by for a slice.

kendrid

Banned
I've never bought a pizza that came with dipping sauce? Isn't that what the toppings are for? Is this an American thing? You guys seem to hardly ever have toppings on pizzas.
There is one chain, Papa Johns, that gives dipping sauce because their pizza is so bland.

If someone wants toppings there are plenty.
348s.jpg

You can’t fold this.

about-lou-malnatis-pizza-slice.jpg

Here is the literal best pizza in the literal entire world from an objective standpoint (New Haven Connecticut's Modern Apizza, best of the famous 3 between it, Pepe's, and Sally's):

new-haven-may-022.jpg

Do not talk shit about this pizza. Looks are deceiving. It may look burnt and plain/bland but it is not. Rather, it is in fact 100% deliciousness realized as apizza. Anyone else who has had it can testify to this axiomatic truth (i.e., this pizza will destroy any pizza you post here).

That being said, a personal fave of mine in the Sicilian / Grandma style pizza categories is Illiano's Sicilian pie:

636136873655792299-Red-Moon.JPG

Tapejara

Pizza Pizza is honestly awful, but it's cheap and convenient for most people and dips will certainly help mask the poor quality (as OP mentioned later on in the thread). I'm a Pizza Nova man myself, so dips aren't usually necessary unless I'm forced to settle. Pizza Pizza also has a decent selection of sides compared to other chains in my area - which helps with catering for larger groups of people - but we all usually agree the pizza is awful and it was worth it just for the jalapeno poppers.

Also, smh at people blaming Americans for this. Let us Canadians take the L on Pizza Pizza :p.

kendrid

Banned
Here is the literal best pizza in the literal entire world from an objective standpoint (New Haven Connecticut's Modern Apizza, best of the famous 3 between it, Pepe's, and Sally's):

new-haven-may-022.jpg

Do not talk shit about this pizza. Looks are deceiving. It may look burnt and plain/bland but it is not. Rather, it is in fact 100% deliciousness realized as apizza. Anyone else who has had it can testify to this axiomatic truth (i.e., this pizza will destroy any pizza you post here).

That being said, a personal fave of mine in the Sicilian / Grandma style pizza categories is Illiano's Sicilian pie:

636136873655792299-Red-Moon.JPG

The first one looks odd but the second delicious. I hope to try both someday.

I have actually never had New York pizza so I only make fun of it for fun. Here in Chicago we usually get thin Aurelios or another local thin. The pan is every once once in a while. My heart wants to live past 50.

I just got myself some pizza because of this thread. Baby spinach, crumbled meatball, onion and pepperoni. Square pizza! With a crunchy, delicious crust. No dipping sauce here.

You guys are making me really sad that the last couple time I've had pizza was from Pizza Hut, Little Caeser's and CiCi's. It's rough without a car and in greater Orlando to really find a decent place, and I don't trust most natives tastes would match up with mine.

Still frustrated from when people tried telling me CiCi's was good.

snap

Banned
here's my conundrum, gaf.

it's 10pm local time here. usually go to bed around 11. also have eaten close to 2k calories today, and my daily allotment should be around 2.5k calories.

but i'm also a little hungry and craving pizza with garlic dipping sauce because of this thread. but i don't want to order a pizza, eat like two slices and end up with an entire pizza in the fridge for tomorrow. either i commit or i don't.

should i order the pizza or not, gaf.

Joeku

Pizza Pizza is honestly awful, but it's cheap and convenient for most people and dips will certainly help mask the poor quality (as OP mentioned later on in the thread). I'm a Pizza Nova man myself, so dips aren't usually necessary unless I'm forced to settle. Pizza Pizza also has a decent selection of sides compared to other chains in my area - which helps with catering for larger groups of people - but we all usually agree the pizza is awful and it was worth it just for the jalapeno poppers.

Also, smh at people blaming Americans for this. Let us Canadians take the L on Pizza Pizza :p.

Pizza Pizza is literally only good for curing hangovers, and that's only if you can avoid the heartburn.

KeRaSh

The first one looks odd but the second delicious. I hope to try both someday.

The first one looks like an actual pizza. Fuck. Now I want pizza.
I had pizza last night...

As for the OP. If you need dipping sauce to enjoy a pizza, then find a better pizza place.
I do enjoy some ranch or wing sauce with my pizza when I visit family in the States but here in Europe it's neither a thing nor is it really necessary.
There are enough great
real
Italian restaurants around.

RMI

Banned
what the fuck is this garbage. dipping sauce? for pizza? jesus christ. seriously I live in a small town that has shit quality pizza (in the grand scheme of things) and nearly all of our pizza is good enough o eat without dipping it. Also, dipping? wtf? do you just like poke the point of the wedge into a tiny little cup of sauce? wtf? fuck?

Eat better pizza
syfNbttdaq8FRmL0UWo_AOJRqYo1q7jInDRlgW07tEaeFv6rBFsBFIOAJlLGDC2YIQ=s1024

All this talk of alternative pizza makes me want to hurl. A masterful pizza only needs crust, sauce and cheese. Anyone who would sully a gorgeous pie like this with extraneous nonsense needs their taste buds adjusted.

20121002-napoli-pizza-tour-31.jpg

Ridiculous, there's tons of delicious pizza with more toppings

KillLaCam

Banned
Let me guess - you also meant "North America," right? Since the OP is in Canada.
Nah apparently everything weird is from the US

Do people actually like pizza without toppings though? Like everyone I know that eats cheese pizza only does it because they don't eat meat or something

Jamiaro

here's my conundrum, gaf.

it's 10pm local time here. usually go to bed around 11. also have eaten close to 2k calories today, and my daily allotment should be around 2.5k calories.

but i'm also a little hungry and craving pizza with garlic dipping sauce because of this thread. but i don't want to order a pizza, eat like two slices and end up with an entire pizza in the fridge for tomorrow. either i commit or i don't.

should i order the pizza or not, gaf.

If you have not eaten "junk" in 7 days, do it. Enjoy. If you have, wait a couple of days. :)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This topic triggers me, but I am more triggered by all these pizzas with the pepperoni on top of the cheese. Won't that make it dry and tasteless? Over here the pepperoni is big slices, and it's always under the cheese.

Also, dipping? wtf? do you just like poke the point of the wedge into a tiny little cup of sauce? wtf? fuck?

I must admit this is puzzling me, too. Those of you who dip your pizza, how do you manage the practicalities? Do you put an enormous amount of sauce into a broad soup bowl, or something? Or do you slice the pizza into thin fingers?

Raide

When I randomly order Domino's in the UK, they always put that sauce in the box... And I slam dunk that shiet right in the bin where it belongs. Sometimes I ask for extra so I can throw those away too.

Shiggy

All this talk of alternative pizza makes me want to hurl. A masterful pizza only needs crust, sauce and cheese. Anyone who would sully a gorgeous pie like this with extraneous nonsense needs their taste buds adjusted.

20121002-napoli-pizza-tour-31.jpg

The pizzas in this thread all look rather terrible. A pizza should look like this.

takriel

Dipping pizza sounds really nasty. 'murica.

That quoted pizza above my post is the only way a pizza should look like.

Cappa

Banned
The pizzas in this thread all look rather terrible. A pizza should look like this.

which is probably why theyre dipping them in sauce lol

The only pizzas I would consider adding sauce to are frozen pizzas(I dont "dip it" though, I just pour some hot sauce on that bitch).

If you order good pizza there should be absolutely zero reason to add sauce.

I spent a weekend in Manhattan a few years back while my dad was there on business. The first night we stopped into some random pizza place we happened to walk past. With no point of reference I have no idea if a New Yorker would have considered it great pizza but I'll be damned if it wasn't the best slice I've had in my entire life.

Cappa

Banned
I spent a weekend in Manhattan a few years back while my dad was there on business. The first night we stopped into some random pizza place we happened to walk past. With no point of reference I have no idea if a New Yorker would have considered it great pizza but I'll be damned if it wasn't the best slice I've had in my entire life.

youd be hard pressed to find a bad pizza spot in NYC unless you walk into a chain like Dominos, Pizza Hut or Sbarros.

Top Bottom