• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ebay Germany actively promotes "drm-less" Wii U

nkarafo

Because the jump is huge.
Its not that huge. Its just added polygons, details and effects. Not as big difference as other generations:

16bit - 2D graphics matured. Multi parallax scrolling backgrounds, detailed cartoon like sprites (huge jump over 8bit)
32/64bit - 3D textured polygons became standard (huge jump)
PS2/GC/XBOX - "FMV" quality graphics. 3D graphics matured. (huge jump)
PS3/360 - HD 3D graphics, even more detail (not as huge jump)
PS4/One - More detail (barely a generation jump)

I would translate it as "no useless crap"/"no bullshit". But no publication would use this officially, it's some kind of a slang, the site is run by either teenagers or hardcore Nintendo fans.
eBays gets money if someone sells a game, which isn't possible with DRM-games, they have a reason to boycott this policy because it cuts their earnings.

Darryl

Banned
TBF the crux of the matter is you believe the jump is huge he believes the jump isn't. There's no objectively correct answer here (beautiful thing about opinions) your both right (in regards to yourselves anyway), just agree to disagree.

yea you see what you want to see and it bends both ways. no one is going to get someone to change their mind over what is or isn't beautiful

Valnen

So because Blizzard sucks, that makes all account systems not worth it. Flawless logic.

You're saying they suck because they don't want you to share your account? Lolwut? You're not allowed to do that with ANY sort of digital gaming platform as far as I know. It's in the ToS for pretty much all of them. They'll all ban your ass if they catch you sharing your account.

Honestly though, as for the topic...I'll take DRM before I'll take gaming only on Wii U.

nkarafo

But then there was stuff like Alien Syndrome. I got the Mega Drive collection on PS3, most of the early games were not impressive.
My point is that there was at least one early game that showed off the jump and what the machine could do compared to NES/Master System. I was there and i remember how amazing the graphics looked when we first saw them.

You're saying they suck because they don't want you to share your account? Lolwut? You're not allowed to do that with ANY sort of digital gaming platform as far as I know. It's in the ToS for pretty much all of them.

Honestly though, as for the topic...I'll take DRM before I'll take gaming only on Wii U
Pretty sure you're allowed to share accounts between devices you own or those that you yourself allow. At least that's how it has been with the PS3 and 360. And I know for sure my friend and his wife share their apple account.

iidesuyo

My point is that there was at least one early game that showed off the jump and what the machine could do compared to NES/Master System. I was there and i remember how amazing the graphics looked when we first saw them.

Hmmm okay. We will see at the end of the year.

But still, but was the HUGE jump in 1988 Mega Drive over Mario Bros. 3?

nkarafo

Hmmm okay. We will see at the end of the year.

But still, but was the HUGE jump in 1988 Mega Drive over Mario Bros. 3?
I'll give you that but still, Mario Bros 3 was released much later though. So you have to compare it with something like Sonic 1 which is definitely a big jump graphically.

iidesuyo

I'll give you that but still, Mario Bros 3 was released much later though. So you have to compare it with something like Sonic 1 which is definitely a big jump graphically.

No, Mario Bros. 3 was released in late 1998 , just shortly before the Mega Drive. Sonic 1 was released over 2 1/2 years after the MD had been out in Japan.

That's what I tried to say. Let's watch and see what developers do with the new hardware once they get used to it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So because Blizzard sucks, that makes all account systems not worth it. Flawless logic.

Because some companies block (not the only one) I simply stopped bothering.

Pretty sure you're allowed to share accounts between devices you own or those that you yourself allow. At least that's how it has been with the PS3 and 360. And I know for sure my friend and his wife share their apple account.

Your not supposed to share it with someone I don't think much like your not supposed to show a dvd for public footage though it's not enforceable.

jmro

I hope no one forgets that Nintendo has 100% the most draconian type of DRM for digital content out of all the console manufacturers. It's even more strict than PC and Steam.

This. Your WiiU and 3DS digital games aren't even tied to an account. They're tied to a specific piece of hardware!

wildfire

Banned
If ebay USA was smart they would do the same thing as well because whatever deal gamestop is getting they have a chance of not getting.

A fourth of my console disks were purchased off of ebay.

Hypron

Because XBone won't have a launch draught?

It's way too early to know what the XBone's launch will be like. They said they'd have heaps of exclusives but we don't know what they are, whether they'll be available at launch or not. After E3 we should be able to talk about it, until then we're just speculating.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's way too early to know what the XBone's launch will be like. They said they'd have heaps of exclusives but we don't know what they are, whether they'll be available at launch or not. After E3 we should be able to talk about it, until then we're just speculating.

Most consoles inevitably go through the draught at least in regard to third party exclusive or next gen exclusive content because the install base isn't large enough to warrant large scale games for it (unless they're expecting most of it's sales from another platform). So generally the severity of the draught tends be decided by first party output and how fast or they are able to get those out since they have the most to gain.

Third parties benefit more from releasing later, which is often why the drought exists.

After Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword, hell Metroid Prime 3 looking absolutely AMAZING on the fucking Wii, and running at a full 60FPS, I can't wait to see what they'll do on the Wii U. It'll be absolute fucking magic.

Came into this thread expecting humor, and now I'm leaving it wanting to learn German so I can understand just what the hell is going on.

Came into this thread expecting humor, and now I'm leaving it wanting to learn German so I can understand just what the hell is going on.

"Kein Gedöns" means, in a sense "no bullshit". You can't translate it really well, but basically it's like someone would say "None of this, like, you know, stupid stuff because that would be, you know, stupid", just way dumber. It's really hard to translate.

This. Your WiiU and 3DS digital games aren't even tied to an account. They're tied to a specific piece of hardware!
The physical games aren't.

I would take digital purchases tied to the console with the possibility of recovery if things go wrong (broken, stolen) over having my physical discs locked to an account. I would take Nintendo's DRM every day of the week.

Neither are ideal, but one is certainly better than the other.

All this shit is nice, but Retro could release the most hardcore of the hardcore games and it still wouldn't sell diddly poo Gedöns or whatever.

zoukka

i6Ygom3.png

bon

Maybe this is why Nintendo has been so calm during the Wii U's bad launch. They've put all their chips on MS and Sony royally screwing up by going overboard with DRM. Then they can start selling the Wii U as the consumer friendly console without restrictive DRM, just in time for the first big wave of first party games this holiday.

Aren't Nintendo's resctrictions for their online account-system much more terrible than Sony's and Microsoft's?

transferring digital purchases from one system to another on Wii U and 3DS is an unjustifiable and annoying process, but a process exists as purchases are tied to both a user account and the hardware.

Xbone will also tie games (both physical and digital) to both the account and the hardware though. everything else favors Wii U at this point.

Mael

Aren't Nintendo's resctrictions for their online account-system much more terrible than Sony's and Microsoft's?

Sony wouldn't know but for MSFT, Nintendo's way is better.
I mean at least WiiU isn't plastering ads while charging for continuous access.
And I meant talking about the xbone.

No, they aren't really.

People bitch all the time that bought stuff is tied to the system instead of your Nintendo ID.
Most of these people don't seem to know that you can phone up Nintendo to let them transfer your ID and online goodies to a new console if your old one broke down or got stolen or something like that.
It's just an additional step and people are being ignorant and/or stupid about it.

No, they aren't really.

People bitch all the time that bought stuff is tied to the system instead of your Nintendo ID.
Most of these people don't seem to know that you can phone up Nintendo to let them transfer your ID and online goodies to a new console if your old one broke down or got stolen or something like that.
It's just an additional step and people are being ignorant and/or stupid about it.

Wii U is way ahead on some of these fronts, but come on! Nintendo's digital transfer policy sucks. There is a system to transfer, but it sucks. That "additional step" exists, but it sucks. They need a better solution.

SmokeMaxX

People forget that Nintendo can just implement an account system while Xbone can't just get rid of their DRM.

The 360 has digital DLC/content tied to specific hardware too, the only difference is it's also tied to an online account. Nintendo just has to actually implement their account system and we're good to go. Doable and I actually expect it at E3.

No, they aren't really.

well, these are still things to be categorised as DRM.

Top Bottom