• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ebay Germany actively promotes "drm-less" Wii U

Mael

Wii U is way ahead on some of these fronts, but come on! Nintendo's digital transfer policy sucks. There is a system to transfer, but it sucks. That "additional step" exists, but it sucks. They need a better solution.

Nobody said it was ideal but it's certainly better than what the "competition" seems to be offering for the next 5 years or so.

Neo C.

To explain why "kein Gedöns" is used perfectly: It's similar to "no crap, no bs", but it's more related to noise and sound. Basically, it means "no annoying sounds and stupid noise". I really like it in this regard.

Its not that huge. Its just added polygons, details and effects. Not as big difference as other generations:

16bit - 2D graphics matured. Multi parallax scrolling backgrounds, detailed cartoon like sprites (huge jump over 8bit)
32/64bit - 3D textured polygons became standard (huge jump)
PS2/GC/XBOX - "FMV" quality graphics. 3D graphics matured. (huge jump)
PS3/360 - HD 3D graphics, even more detail (not as huge jump)
PS4/One - More detail (barely a generation jump)

It's not as small a gap as you think. I'll use my opinion to prove my point.

16bit - more detail
32/64bit - more detail
PS2/GC/XBOX - more detail
PS3/360 - more detail
PS4/One - more detail

HeelPower

believe me when I say I amnot a huge Nintendo fanboy or anything(I only ever got the gamecube and played WW on it)But I would proudly embrace the WII U if it does make a turn around and beats both PS4 and XB1.

Nintendo is moving at a very reasonable pace technologically.You can have amazing, mind blowing experiences with the WII U's technology if developers embrace it.You can even expect more variety in titles as budgets won't be so unreasonably high as other systems.This upcoming rise in technology will be a significant hurdle to most devs and everyone knows it.

In the end, I will support whoever wins as the winner will get the most content eventually in this race.

Wii U is way ahead on some of these fronts, but come on! Nintendo's digital transfer policy sucks. There is a system to transfer, but it sucks. That "additional step" exists, but it sucks. They need a better solution.

People forget that Nintendo can just implement an account system while Xbone can't just get rid of their DRM.

The 360 has digital DLC/content tied to specific hardware too, the only difference is it's also tied to an online account. Nintendo just has to actually implement their account system and we're good to go. Doable and I actually expect it at E3.

Even if they don't announce an account based system at E3, I'm still fine with what they have on Wii U and 3DS.
That extra step doesn't bother me at all. It's a short phone call that you'd have to do anyway if your system's broken or stolen or something.

i6Ygom3.png

Haha....

Awesome...

But with Ninty you don't lose all of your shit when you change a console. Is it confirmed that the PS4 and Xbone aren't BC to digital content?

You don't lose them on the other systems, either. Unfortunately, you can't play your ps3/360 games on your ps4/xbone, but I'm pretty sure ps1 and ps2 will be playable.

At list with Nintendo you can buy discs and use them on any Wii U out there, if you don't like how they manage the digital content.

I really appreciate that, but the ad is still odd, because the console supports drm on online purchased games and it seems it's even more restrictive than the competition.

I really appreciate that, but the ad is still odd, because the console supports drm on online purchased games and it seems it's even more restrictive than the competition.

it's restrictive in the sense that you can't log into another console and download your shit. if you fall into that category of people who own more than two systems or frequently play your games at a friend's house, I can see how this matters.

it's also restrictive in the sense that if you lose or break your system or have it stolen, you cannot use your ID to download your shit to a new console. Nintendo knows that your ID is matched to your purchases, but you have to call them. if you fall into the category of people who lose their systems due to theft or breaking, then I can see how this matters.

but the scenarios in the above two are somewhat rare, the latter being even more so. still, there system of transferring digital purchases sucks. but it's really not all that bad compared to how the Xbone will handle BOTH physical and digital purchases.

outside of this digital download system, Nintendo is waaay ahead of Xbone on the actual selling games to consumers issue. and it might come out ahead of Sony with similar benefits. what i'm getting at is that Nintendo's digital policy sucks, but if you weigh all the future options, it really won't look so draconian looking at everyone's policy's for selling software physically and digitally.

Top Bottom