• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai staff announces The Lost Child, a turn-based RPG set in modern Japan

Looks promising.

Vita is icing on the cake, and I'm one of the few who actually liked Root Letter, so really hope this makes it West as it likely will.

So kadokawa is publishing this...not sure what to expect now, their track record hasn't been consistent so it could either be poorly managed like Rodea the Sky Soldier or that Love Live game, delayed, or just budget starved.

aravuus

I have no idea what Al Shaddai is, but I'm always interested in turn-based JRPGs, especially ones with interesting premises like this.

Oreiller

The main problem with El Shaddai was its dreadfuly dull and boring gameplay, so I'm pretty happy to see them going turn based. Can't wait to see more.

faridmon

El Shaddai devs fuck yeah!

Wait, turn ba-
IgMyx.gif

In seriousness though, it being set in the same lore and Lucifel making a return is great. The modern japan setting sounds a little bit SMT.

What? The fact that its turn base is what is exciting here. If there was a knock against El Shaddai was its floaty controls and unresponsive combat, which this being a turn base could negate that.

I love El Shaddai. I love turn-based JRPGs. I hate mobile games.

This news pleases me greatly.

Really happy to hear the game takes place in the same world as El Shaddai. I just hope the production values are of a high quality. I want it to look fabulous like El Shaddai did.

Switch port begging is the new PC port begging.

That killed my interest as it means visuals, level design and budget are going to be terrible.

I might be being too naive/hopeful here but I would have thought that, considering the personnel behind El Shaddai, they wouldn't have agreed to go with that publisher without some pretty decent assurances in terms of visuals and so on. Or similarly, if the budget is poor I'd have more faith with this team being able to work wonders within constraints than many others. Fingers crossed!

Edit: As another poster said, this may have been you referencing it being multi-platform rather than based on the publisher - sorry if misunderstood :).

That killed my interest as it means visuals, level design and budget are going to be terrible.
I don't think many Japanese developers can afford to make an PS4 exclusive tbh. If Vita died, they will most probably move on to switch and PS4 or stop making this kind of game at all.

I want to be positive, but I fear you may be right. Root Letter was a lovely looking game, but it was a mere visual novel with an obvious shoe-string budget. For this game to look good, it would need a decent-sized budget I'd imagine, and it's probably not going to get it?

Edit - Oh, you're talking about it being a cross-platform game. I thought you were referencing the fact that Kadokawa were involved. My bad.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I never really got into El Shaddai because I found the combat clunky but I absolutely was enamored by the graphical design. Now this team is making a turn based RPG? Oh shit, sweet!

I thought you were referencing the fact that Kadokawa were involved. My bad.

Exactly why this "Vita will hold it back!" stuff is absolutely laughable. Kadokawa aren't going to give any devs enough money to push PS4 hardware.

That was being made by Kadokawa. This is just published by them. Pretty sure they'll start working on that DRPG project once they're done with God Wars.

I would be shocked if they hadn't started working on it yet and were still targeting Vita. It's a DRPG, they can't take that long to make (Experience make at least 1 a year).

arigato

Very interested in this as we could always use more RPGs especially if done with the art style of El Shaddai. Will keep this game on my radar.

1) what are the chances this comes west?
2) if this comes west, will Vita release be in tow?
3) any chance of an el shaddai ps4 remastered edition? Missed out first time around.

K' Dash

You can almost taste the salt every time someone mentions the Switch.

I'll be day one if they confirm certain port.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Every damn thread. Switch port begging needs to stop.

So asking if a just announced game is planned for Platform X is port-begging now ? You guys need to chill a bit when it comes to Switch. If the first post would have asked if its coming to Vita as well you wouldnt have complained.

@Game

Cant see much on those Fami scans but lets hope it turns out good.

RRockman

Banned
You can almost taste the salt every time someone mentions the Switch.

I'll be day one if they confirm certain port.

I almost want to pop in a thread for a game that's obviously an exclusive and just be like "Aight, so When's Switch version at" just because.

I'll add this to the list of games to look into when I get a ps4.

Top Bottom