• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm hoping for the best, really am (last good Mickey game I played was Magical Quest starring Mickey and Donald, for the Genesis), but I can't shake the Gex 64 vibes I get from the screens so far....

JCreasy said:
What do you guys think of the original cartoon footage shown here in the top left corner and how it compares to the translation in the videogame?

Here is the original cartoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Nj2Z8b22I

Yeah, they really nailed the style. Even the little "warning signs" from the cartoon are in it. I hope they include other elements of the cartoon, like the outside of the clock. Also that "main spring" Donald was working on should be in the level. I see the sign for it but no sign of the spring itself

Gagaman said:
Watching now. The in-game model version of that Mickey meets Oswald sketch is awesome! :D

I JUST saw that part!

OMFG . . . they look exactly like that Mickey and Oswald drawing!:lol
The models look perfect in that pic!

I also see how much of a difference it made in cartoons after Walt walked away and made Mickey. I don't think we would have Bugs Bunny if Oswald some how had Mickey's fame today seeing how he would be THE cartoon rabbit the way Mickey is THE cartoon Mouse and Mario is THE plumber character and Sonic is THE hedgehog character.

Gagaman

Near the end of the video they show some concept art for another stage that looks to be based on the haunted mansion in many ways. There's also a nice image that appaers to be Mickey riding Oswald's runaway train carriage from one of his cartoons.

Azure J

Watching the video right now, and good God. Was that running animation more fantastic there than before when it was released without the comparison to the cartoon? :O

AzureJericho said:
Watching the video right now, and good God. Was that running animation more fantastic there than before when it was released without the comparison to the cartoon? :O
Yes, that was kick ass animation.

And I also fond it interesting that their not completely sure how Scrapper Mickey will look if I heard that part right (part where WS talks about the 3 Mickeys).

Holyfucking shit at Lonesome Manor.
"You will be stunned how close we are going to get to these in the actual game"
Fuck yes Spector, holy fucking yes!

i2keoi.jpg

fk4iev.jpg

far6lz.jpg

Ive always said it was really bad for them to show first its a Small World as its a very flat ride (and that is what they were going for). Lonesome Manor (Haunted mansion) looks perfect in the artworks, will love to see it in 3D.

Also fucking great models here.
33wtz7t.jpg

Azure J

Yeah, that presentation sent my hype level up to the stars now. It really needs to be put in the OP so folks that are starting to get disheartened at the way things look now will look at it and give the game a second thought.

scitek

Darkpen said:
I just don't like how Mickey looks like he's made out of clay, instead of looking more... I don't know :/

The game needs to be cel-shaded. And I think the model for Mickey is off-putting because his forehead is too big and his ears are too small. The picture in the corner is how he should look.

scitek said:
The game needs to be cel-shaded. And I think the model for Mickey is off-putting because his forehead is too big and his ears are too small. The picture in the corner is how he should look.

1. It doesnt need to be cel-shaded
2. His ears were smaller in the past. Thats 1928-30's Mickey for you.

ReiGun

That presentation got me so fucking hype. The graphics may need some touching up, but damn those animations and gameplay mechanics sound so goo.

scitek

SpacePirate Ridley said:
1. It doesnt need to be cel-shaded
2. His ears were smaller in the past. Thats 1928-30's Mickey for you.

1 is a matter of opinion, obviously, sorry you need an "IMO" to tell that. 2, bullshit, there's a fucking picture of what he's supposed to look like in the corner of the screen and the model hardly matches it. Disconnect much?

neorej said:
What all his great games have in common and what these Epic Mickey-screens are missing though is atmosphere. One can debate on the graphics of his games all day long, but at the very least they had atmosphere. Epic Mickey just looks like an empty shell, just like all those other generic games we've seen on the Wii and PS2.

I can say the exact same thing about Deus Ex.

deusex_02.jpg

img_6344_img_4966_deus_ex_001.jpg

Unlike most developers Spector doesn't create intense atmosphere through cutscenes or unique graphics. He creates atmosphere by giving attention and detail to the "feel" of the environment and level design and progression.

Black-Wind said:

Holy shit at the animation!

scitek said:
1 is a matter of opinion, obviously, sorry you need an "IMO" to tell that. 2, bullshit, there's a fucking picture of what he's supposed to look like in the corner of the screen and the model hardly matches it. Disconnect much?
1. We are simply tired of people acting like toon shader is the cure to everything. I will be the first to say that the game looks like a mid PS2 (or mid GC depinding on which screen shot your looking at) game presentation wise but I don't think it needs Toon shader, it just needs for the textures to be something other then the Maya default.

24zaluw.jpg

The corner pic and the model look exactly the same.

(Leaves to use Photoshop to show my point)

Edit- Confirmed in PS.

Just watch the presentation . . . they look exactly the same. Hell, the posed the models in the exact same pose for ya . . .

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I really am just going to stay positive for this game. They have the right ideas, and Warren fucking Spector.

I just learned that Warren Spector worked on System Shock. I'm not sure if I have that game or System Shock II. Whatever it is, it came with my Mac.

JCreasy

Black-Wind said:

WOW

Again, those animations blow me AWAY! I LOVE IT!

Especially that first one he presented that wasn't in the Gameinformer clips. The one where's he's running. MAN! I so wish I could move around like that in the game.

And damn, I wish the environments could simply be painted like those cartoons! The animation where he runs and dives in the cabbage! The cabbage has so much detail! And then I realize, OH YEAH, DISNEY CARTOON! The best of the Disney cartoons are filled with detail. And the static screenshots are missing that detail right now.

I so wish Warren Spector could've teamed up with Insomniac to do this game. Or I wish Disney could just BUY INSOMNIAC. Having Spector drive game design while Insomniac carried out execution would've been a Supernova of creative excellence.

equap

Banned
i really like the idea for this game but i wish it's for the PS360.

why did he pick the wii? sorry, but the graphic is terrible. :\

freddy

Banned
Good Lord!! ^

Haha, people are concerned with ear size. Funny stuff. Each to their own though.

I think I'll go on an info freeze with this game . See you when you are released Mickey.

AniHawk

equap said:

There's actually an interview in the OP where he explains why they chose the Wii.

rezuth

Black-Wind said:
1. We are simply tired of people acting like toon shader is the cure to everything. I will be the first to say that the game looks like a mid PS2 (or mid GC depinding on which screen shot your looking at) game presentation wise but I don't think it needs Toon shader, it just needs for the textures to be something other then the Maya default.

24zaluw.jpg

The corner pic and the model look exactly the same.

(Leaves to use Photoshop to show my point)

Edit- Confirmed in PS.

Just watch the presentation . . . they look exactly the same. Hell, the posed the models in the exact same pose for ya . . .
The texture on that small wall/shelf/whatever is pretty damn good compared with the rest of the textures on all screenshots.

Johann

Wow, that presentation was great. It looks like a very important game for Disney.

AniHawk said:
I just learned that Warren Spector worked on System Shock. I'm not sure if I have that game or System Shock II. Whatever it is, it came with my Mac.

The System Shock 2 credits might have given him special thanks for being so awesome.

I watched the presentation, really cool. Seems to be a very ambitious project after all! Maybe releasing those early screens wasn't the best descision. I have a feeling there's still be much work to be done. The animations of Mickey already look great.

equap said:

AniHawk said:
There's actually an interview in the OP where he explains why they chose the Wii.

_____

Interview said:
GI: Why the Wii?

WS: Well, think about it. Would you really want to tackle convincing Halo or Grand Theft Auto players that they want to be Mickey Mouse? Would you really want to do that? In terms of finding a congenial audience, let’s go for a platform that’s known for Mario and Link and now Sonic. Come on. Honestly, with the unit sales on the hardware, it was kind of a lucky happenstance. We made the call to go to the Wii long before it was clear that the Wii was going to be, at least for now, the best-selling platform.

It was about going where the audience is and going somewhere where they’re going to accept a visual style that is more cartoony than people are used to seeing and where we don’t feel obliged to throw in every shader on the planet. “Look at the normal maps and shaders.” We don’t have to do that kind of stuff. It’s the right platform for this project, for sure.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
just watched the presentation vid. i liked what i saw and what warren spector said and hinted at.

definitely interested in this game.

Slavik81

I have lots of love for Warren Spector, despite that I've never enjoyed any of his games.

In concept, this game sounds fantastic. I'm crossing my fingers that the execution turns out even a tenth as good.

equap said:
Putting it on the PS3/360 wouldn't fix any of the screenshots I've seen.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
JCreasy said:
I so wish Warren Spector could've teamed up with Insomniac to do this game. Or I wish Disney could just BUY INSOMNIAC. Having Spector drive game design while Insomniac carried out execution would've been a Supernova of creative excellence.

The irony here is just becoming painful...

Gestahl

equap said:

Hmm, pissing and moaning about graphics, yet no mention of the PC. Oh, how many times has this sight been seen, especially in this thread.

As for me, this, Galaxy 2, and NMH2 will probably get me back to the old console setup. Prime Trilogy too, since I own it and will probably replay those games eventually.

From reading some old Ultima LPs I had a knowledge of Warren Spector despite never having played any of his games until Deus Ex. I can tell the guy has a ton of ambitious ideas just from playing that and reading about the later Ultima games, so it'll be interesting to see how that thought process translates to a platformer type game.

JCreasy

In spite of what some may think of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, this is the level of visual detail I want to see in a Disney wii game

final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-my-life-as-a-king-20080509105632663.jpg

new-crystal-chronicles-downloads-in-japan-20080422060427582.jpg

final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-my-life-as-a-king-20080415020729285_640w.jpg

final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-my-life-as-a-king-20080401004904512_640w.jpg

I hope those castle concepts get some earnest effort to illustrate all those awesome details in the game.

sky

Could someone youtube the london presentation?
I've tried to stream it from that site for a few hours, with no luck. :/

Top Bottom