• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the rationale to up the teams to 24? It's kinda ok watching Albania, Hungary, Northern Ireland and the like showing up there but I liked how "elite" the Euro always felt with less teams.

More games = more money... As much as I like EURO I think going to 24 is stupid. 3rd team making it out of the group is stupid. They might as well just go to 36 teams and have more than half European teams play in EURO :)

kharma45

What was the rationale to up the teams to 24? It's kinda ok watching Albania, Hungary, Northern Ireland and the like showing up there but I liked how "elite" the Euro always felt with less teams.

Will Grigg's on fire, the defences of Europe are terrified.

Undead

ronaldo is too old, there's a new star in town
ilkgMdgRakiOV.gif

That dick grab

Let's go Portugal! Lord Éder bless us with your magnificent football... and Nani, Bruno Alves...

We're not going to make it are we? Damn...

Let's go Portugal! Lord Éder bless us with your magnificent football... and Nani, Bruno Alves...

We're not going to make it are we? Damn...

A disaster of epic proportions.

Cringe as you witness Ronaldo zombie-walk his way through every match as he attempts (and fails) to shake off the fatigue of playing every minute of every game throughout the season while running himself ragged.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I keep getting adverts for out EU on the homepage/forum index. I assume this is a prediction for England's performance in this tournament rather than anything to do with the referendum.

wbsmcs

Interested in seeing how Austria does. I could see them winning the group stage by tying Portugal. Alaba is a great player.

T-Rex.

Banned
How less shit?

Win a game?

Is probable.

Win the group?

Is possible.

Win a knockout game?

Is improbable.

Get to the last eight?

Is impossible!!!!

Edit: l am an England fan!!!!
It's sad, though. We have Kane who's on fire. Vardy who's on fire. Sturridge who, when on it, is one of the best strikers around. With the attack we have we shouldn't really find winning a damn knockout game to be impossible yet we do! I think, as a minimum, we should be making it past the first knockout round (unless we get a really shitty draw).

Kain

To all England fans, some years ago Spain was the laughing stock in all the competitions because we were thinking that we were favourites but never even made it past quarterfinals, like, NEVER, then in 4 years we got two Euros and a World cup. I'm not saying you'll win (nope, not a chance), but heck, maybe you perform well!

That said, Spain is not going to win this, not a chance. I have no clear favourite tbh, Germany can be considered the front runner, but I just don't see it. Maybe France because they play at home and we know how that goes, amirite?

bjaelke

It's sad, though. We have Kane who's on fire. Vardy who's on fire. Sturridge who, when on it, is one of the best strikers around. With the attack we have we shouldn't really find winning a damn knockout game to be impossible yet we do! I think, as a minimum, we should be making it past the first knockout round (unless we get a really shitty draw).
England might be one of the best equipped teams at the tournament when it comes to inform strikers. Don't forget Rashford who seems to be on an upwards trajectory. I'd be more concerned about the backline (when they get to the knockout stages).

Syder

England might be one of the best equipped teams at the tournament when it comes to inform strikers. Don't forget Rashford who seems to be on an upwards trajectory. I'd be more concerned about the backline (when they get to the knockout stages).
Don't forget Roy's choice to take 3 recognised centrebacks plus Dier who can deputise but look how well that went against Australia.

T-Rex.

Banned
Exactly. Belgium have a good strike force as well, but the majority of the other teams are lacking big time. It's a shame Hodgson is in charge because with a more attacking coach I'd argue that England could win the thing.

Lego Boss

Don't forget Roy's choice to take 3 recognised centrebacks plus Dier who can deputise but look how well that went against Australia.

I agree with Michael Owen's verdict of John Stones, he really is the best footballer we have got.

I would love to see him in the starting XI, something about him reminds me of Mark Wright at Italia 90, just having that ability and calmness on the ball from the back.

He is in a rich line of English centre backs which we have been missing since Ferdinand retired.

Fernando Santos is such a dumbfuck. Just look at what Jesus did with Sporting's midfield, call a real striker (no matter how young he is, Andre Silva), and never ever put Bruno Alves on the field (especially when you have Jose Fonte). It's not hard. You have 3 midfield players who know how to play together. You have Ronaldo. Really, the work is done. Just know how to fucking adapt it. We're kinda lousy, but we shouldn't be lousy because terrible players keep playing.

pbsapeer

Banned
Really excited for the competition. Think Germany / Belgium will win it. I'd love England to get to the quarters or semis but just don't think we're good enough at the back. The prospect of seeing alli and Kane and vardy playing is exciting though :)

Fuck off Rooney

Facism

How many times can Burak Yilmaz slap his head after missing an easy strike this tournament?

I'm betting on 20 before we even worry about getting out of the group stage.

Selcuk Inan is going to show why Manchester United should sign him due to his game being 100% backwards passes.

Jack cw

How many times can Burak Yilmaz slap his head after missing an easy strike this tournament?

I'm betting on 20 before we even worry about getting out of the group stage.

Selcuk Inan is going to show why Manchester United should sign him due to his game being 100% backwards passes.

I'd rate Turkey pretty high. If the tournament runs well for them, it could be as great as 2008.

Facism

I'd rate Turkey pretty high. If the tournament runs well for them, it could be as great as 2008.

Watch Inan take all our free-kicks despite Calhanoglu being better at them :3

Hoping Emre Mor gets a significant amount of playtime in the friendly tonight.

Facism

Is he really the Turkish Messi though?

I've only really seen him play one game and a youtube highlight reel. I wouldn't go that far, but he does have something the national team has lacked for a long time. Dangerous pacey dribbling and no fear of running at a team's defense.

SirCheese

In Zlatan we trust! Unfortunately the rest of the Swedish team is subpar. Won't make it out of the group is my prediction.

Coffinhal

France is pretty well equipped too

We might start with Payet-Giroud-Griezmann, Coman and Martial can replace Payet/Griezmann if necessary on the sides. Gignac replaces Giroud (which inherited the number 10 lol) but is a step behind, Martial is a better replacement if not used on the sides. Pogba and Matuidi also know how to score but they don't play that high on the field. Kanté is the new sentinel and was on fire yesterday against Scotland (3-0). We just need to score one more goal than the other team, even if it's a 4-3 game haha.

Despite all the guys we lost last months (Zouma, Laporte, Sakho, Varane, J.Mathieu, Lass Diara, Valbuena, Fekir) and those who don't play international anymore despite being in top clubs (Ribery, Benzema) the group is still solid and adapts well. We have a solid chance of not playing big teams until semi-finals or final. Plus we're home and we won the last two competitions we hosted (Euro 1984, WC 1998).

If it's not France then I see Belgium winning the trophy. 2nd choice Germany, 3rd England.

some videos of yesterday's game : Payet : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvSM0lSrMaU / Martial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekUfSkxl48s / All goals : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9aLePGUEeE

and Payet's free kick against Cameroun http://www.neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Kozak

Banned
Is he really the Turkish Messi though?

Every 19 year old who show's potential in Turkey is the Turkish Messi haha

I'm really excited about Turkey's chance this Euro.

Facism has pointed out our two biggest problems :p but on the international stage those two try to turn up more than disappoint, so fingers crossed things go their way.

We have a good team. We have Arda and Gonul who are great inspirations/motivators for our younger players.

Just need to hope the hot heads keep it together and don't blow everything for us.

edit:

I'm putting our whole campaign on the first game with Croatia. If we come out of that game with a draw or win, we'll make it out the group.

Aiii

So not worth it
24 teams and we (Greece) couldn't even make it...

Then again, where the f is Nederlands?? Crazy Euro.

This team needs to be about as far away from the public spotlight as possible. I have no problems with NL not being there, we'd get rekt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom