• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Don't trust the Russian or trains-Part 3

How many sessions until Kabouter gets annexed by some scrub AI country?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
That's the benefit of following a bad team.

dead2.gif

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I keep Salzburg around so I can declare on them and get 100% warscore the second I occupy them (they always get in a coalition against me as soon as the truce is up), then I only have to siege what I want to take from the others in the coalition.
Why does that work? Because the other members of the coalition can't negotiate separately and so it doesn't treat them like independent nations? Normally I wouldn't bother with exploits, but the HRE is awful in terms of AE, so it might be something to keep in mind for Gothic Invasion and Rajput Reich.
must... resist... troll.... attempt.....
I meant my own team, in case that wasn't clear. I don't have to go to games on Sunday if I know they're going to lose anyway,

Why does that work? Because the other members of the coalition can't negotiate separately and so it doesn't treat them like independent nations? Normally I wouldn't bother with exploits, but the HRE is awful in terms of AE, so it might be something to keep in mind for Gothic Invasion and Rajput Reich.

Pretty much, yes.

Kabouter

Then I recommend you start those now :p

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I might stick with 1.9 for awhile, depending on how much is changed in the next patch. I still have four different ironman games that I need to finish.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah, go Russian AI, go! I really didnt want to miss todays session, but we are having some visitors over now and I cant play at all tonight.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Came back to -3 stability, 4 loans, Westernizing Process, Diplo-Annexing of Vassal, Full Occupation of Scandinavia

The AI MAGIC

Uzzy

Venice AAR:

Such a slow session. Peace may be good for business, but it sure is boring in EU4. Coming back to discover that the AI's set fire to a bunch of my fleet was rather annoying too, as having the largest navy in the game was the best thing Venice had going for them.

Anyway, I peaced out of the GB/France war, and stabbed my French allies in the back by taking Pisa. Glorious stuff. All feels a bit calm before the storm though.

Provinces Gained: Pisa
Provinces Lost: Alexandria, whatever province is next to Alexandria.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This'll probably be the third game I play to 1821.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Coming back to discover that the AI's set fire to a bunch of my fleet was rather annoying too, as having the largest navy in the game was the best thing Venice had going for them.

They really need to add an option for the AI in multiplayer: "Don't fuck with my fleet, I like it big".

Kabouter

Meantime in Commonwealth, the AI decided it was a good idea to make an army ~30K above force limit

I wondered why my economy was flashing red lights when I started

AI doesn't really care about force limit so much as it cares about how much army they can actually pay for. Maybe lucky nations bonuses (which they will have gotten, but you don't get when you're playing) allowed them to pay for that size army.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AI doesn't really care about force limit so much as it cares about how much army they can actually pay for. Maybe lucky nations bonuses (which they will have gotten, but you don't get when you're playing) allowed them to pay for that size army.

Don't humans work the same way? Force limits are purely theoretical, you simply make the largest army you can sustain reliably.

Kabouter

Don't humans work the same way? Force limits are purely theoretical, you simply make the largest army you can sustain reliably.

In practice? Not really. It's a psychological thing I reckon, but in MP you notice most of the time people stay below or exactly at their force limits.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Only when you're filthy rich or have France as enemy. Otherwise there are a lot of things to better spend money on.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So that's why they kept coming back with huge armies after I beat their invasion forces.

did you check out my winged hussars though? best looking units in EU4

1024x575.resizedimage

(not my screenshot)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Only when you're filthy rich or have France as enemy. Otherwise there are a lot of things to better spend money on.

Are there? Advisors take priority to a certain extent, and certain building lines, but after that money has no purpose except to fund an army. I'd probably never exceed my force limit by a large amount because troops become exponentially more expensive the more you exceed it, but if I could afford to do while having the advisors I wanted and a monthly surplus, I'd definitely exceed them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So, filthy rich.

Advisors aren't that expensive. Running 1/1/1 should leave you with enough money to at least partially exceed your force limits for even moderately wealthy nations. If you're massively behind in tech and need to go 1/1/3 or something, fine, but running 2/1/1 when you're teching well seems wasteful, especially in multiplayer when you're probably not going to face ADM or DPM constraints.

Kabouter

Advisors aren't that expensive. Running 1/1/1 should leave you with enough money to at least partially exceed your force limits for even moderately wealthy nations. If you're massively behind in tech and need to go 1/1/3 or something, fine, but running 2/1/1 when you're teching well seems wasteful, especially in multiplayer when you're probably not going to face ADM or DPM constraints.
You'd think so, you'd be wrong :p
I have run 3/3/3 for the last 150 years or so, and I still wouldn't mind more points of all types :p

Uzzy

Are there? Advisors take priority to a certain extent, and certain building lines, but after that money has no purpose except to fund an army. I'd probably never exceed my force limit by a large amount because troops become exponentially more expensive the more you exceed it, but if I could afford to do while having the advisors I wanted and a monthly surplus, I'd definitely exceed them.

Yup. What's been hammered home to me in this game is just how pointless money is, as long as you aren't running a deficit. It'd be nice if I could throw my surplus money into useful buildings and infrastructure, but they really aren't too many that would be worth blowing the monarch points on. We should be able to spend the money on commissioning great pieces of art and architecture that boost prestige, or on propaganda campaigns that boost morale, or on scientists to boost technology.

Kabouter

Yup. What's been hammered home to me in this game is just how pointless money is, as long as you aren't running a deficit. It'd be nice if I could throw my surplus money into useful buildings and infrastructure, but they really aren't too many that would be worth blowing the monarch points on. We should be able to spend the money on commissioning great pieces of art and architecture that boost prestige, or on propaganda campaigns that boost morale, or on scientists to boost technology.

Feel free to gift any excess cash you have to my vassals and/or colonial nation if it feels like a burden.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

That would involve peace-time game-play, and Paradox isn't interested in that when they could be designing new and frustrating ways to use mana points instead.

Only slightly sarcastic.

Uzzy

Feel free to gift any excess cash you have to my vassals and/or colonial nation if it feels like a burden.

I do have to keep my money below 500 ducats, just incase I drop out and the AI makes me defender of the faith again.. so sure, why not. I've got nothing to else to spend my money on, other than making enough galleys to become the biggest fleet again. Now if only money did anything in diplomatic terms, other than a small, short-term increase in relations.

That would involve peace-time game-play, and Paradox isn't interested in that when they could be designing new and frustrating ways to use mana points instead.

Only slightly sarcastic.

Too true. Sometimes it feels like Hearts of Iron 4 will have more interesting peace-time game-play than EU4.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Had to check the so-called draconian Nintendo censorship, Inspired by the awesome swapnotes I got from you when I first got my 3DS!

Speaking of Hearts of Iron 4, we should have a few multiplayer games going.

Smaller ones with fewer people because honestly trying to organize HoI with 10 players sounds like a nightmare (and also because fuck you guys and your non-Australian time zones).

Uzzy

Speaking of Hearts of Iron 4, we should have a few multiplayer games going.

Smaller ones with fewer people because honestly trying to organize HoI with 10 players sounds like a nightmare (and also because fuck you guys and your non-Australian time zones).

10 players, hmm. UK, USA, France, Germany, the Soviet Union, Italy and Japan are the big seven and would need to be played in any multiplayer game, then you can add in Canada, Australia, Finland, Hungary, Romania, the Netherlands, Nationalist China and maybe Brazil as second tier, but unessential choices.

There are other countries that could be picked, of course, but they're either too weak to do anything really or it'd make the game very ahistorical. So you've got a maximum of 15 players, I'd say. After that you're really going to struggle to accommodate everyone.

Kabouter

10 players, hmm. UK, USA, France, Germany, the Soviet Union, Italy and Japan are the big seven and would need to be played in any multiplayer game, then you can add in Canada, Australia, Finland, Hungary, Romania, the Netherlands, Nationalist China and maybe Brazil as second tier, but unessential choices.

There are other countries that could be picked, of course, but they're either too weak to do anything really or it'd make the game very ahistorical. So you've got a maximum of 15 players, I'd say. After that you're really going to struggle to accommodate everyone.

Dibs on USA

Getting Americas/Europe times isn't too hard, and Australia/Europe or Australia/Americas also isn't hard, but Australia/Europe/Americas is going to be a stretch. Hence why I stayed out of the previous EU multi sessions; it made scheduling pretty difficult. IMO two or three concurrent games based on different groups of people and different times would be a good way to tackle it.

We don't need a full house of majors to be fun. You could easily have a game where you have one or two USSR players (In HoI3 multiple players could play one country and take over different theatres or duties as needed) then have a series of players as UK, Aus, Canada trying to beat back the Germans and take on the communists.

Uzzy

Dibs on USA

Dibs on Japan, so we can once again fight over who has the bigger navy.

We don't need a full house of majors to be fun. You could easily have a game where you have one or two USSR players (In HoI3 multiple players could play one country and take over different theatres or duties as needed) then have a series of players as UK, Aus, Canada trying to beat back the Germans and take on the communists.

Yeah, you can do that. Hearts of Iron 4 is meant to support multiple players playing as one country, so that'd be possible. It'd still be best to fill out the majors though, at least for the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom