• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVR - CCP's Oculus Rift Space Dogfighting Game getting RAVE reviews from E3 goers

YuShtink

I didn't realize Oculus was 3D. Thought it was just screens for your eyes.

No sir. And it's not your average 3D either. No superimposed images, no cheap uncomfortable glasses. Each eye gets a seperate clear image the same way your eyes do in real life. You perceive depth and scale as if you were really inside that 3D space.

Seanspeed

Banned

Afrodium

Banned
I cannot wait to try this thing. The fact that this exists means that at some point I will experience the virtual reality that all these Youtube reviewers are so giddy about. I don't know when that day will come, but I am so ready.

What kind of hardware is required for this? Will my asus g750 be able to handle it?

As a guess I'd say it's not going to be the most demanding game out there, but considering you need to run the game at 120fps (60 in each eye, correct if wrong) to get the full experience, I'm not sure if even the best gaming laptops will be able to handle it without reducing the graphics. I'm personally waiting at least a year to build a new tower so I know it'll be able to handle next gen games.

Just my limited input.

If Sony really put their mind to it, they could easily out-Rift the Rift in terms of engineering, by sheer power of capital and resources. But I don't think they will.

God I hope not.

Palmer Luckey (a 20 year old dude) has single handedly brought VR back from the dead after toiling for years in his parent's garage. He claims he wouldn't really mind as long as VR became a reality, but imo it would be a travesty if a big company like Sony ripped it off and took all the credit.

I could easily see Sony ether supporting the Rift through the PS4 sdk or producing a Sony "branded" Rift in partnership with Oculus.

A Playstation Rift + inde self publishing on PSN would = massive win for Sony, developers, gamers, and VR in general.

I could easily see Sony ether supporting the Rift through the PS4 sdk or producing a Sony "branded" Rift in partnership with Oculus.

A Playstation Rift + inde self publishing on PSN would = massive win for Sony, developers, gamers, and VR in general.

If I'm correct about the 120 frames per second, there's going to have to be a "graphical downgrade" option to use the Rift with a PS4, undoubtedly. Not sure how easy that would be for Sony.

It needs 60fps total, but each of those 60 frames is made of 2 smaller frames. So you're almost correct. Basically you need to be running 960x1080 (note that's NOT 1920x1080) @ 120fps. Requires more power than running a single 1080p frame at 60fps but less than running a single 1080p frame at 120fps, if that makes sense.

Ah, I knew there was a reason I was doubting myself. Thanks for clearing that up, good to know.

YuShtink

As a guess I'd say it's not going to be the most demanding game out there, but considering you need to run the game at 120fps (60 in each eye, correct if wrong) to get the full experience, I'm not sure if even the best gaming laptops will be able to handle it without reducing the graphics. I'm personally waiting at least a year to build a new tower so I know it'll be able to handle next gen games.

Just my limited input.

It the display only needs to refresh at 60fps, but each of those 60 frames is made of 2 smaller frames that have to be rendered independently. So you're almost correct. Basically you need to be running 960x1080 (note that's NOT 1920x1080) @ 120fps. Requires more power than running a single 1080p frame at 60fps but less than running a single 1080p frame at 120fps, if that makes sense.

Edit: That's for the 1080p consumer version of course. For the current dev kit you should be running 1280x800@60fps, but with the split image nature of the Rift its closer to 640x800@120fps

Step one: Load a few PLEX into the cargo bay of a nice, strong Ibis
Step two: Broadcast on forums and /r/eve that you're about to stream yourself flying the S.S. PLEX, touring across the universe until someone blows up the ship.
Step three: Escape all the incoming fire for as long as possible, playing Titanic final-moments-band-music for the stream.

It needs 60fps total, but each of those 60 frames is made of 2 smaller frames. So you're almost correct. Basically you need to be running 960x1080 (note that's NOT 1920x1080) @ 120fps. Requires more power than running a single 1080p frame at 60fps but less than running a single 1080p frame at 120fps, if that makes sense.

Edit: That's for the 1080p consumer version of course. For the current dev kit you should be running 1280x800@60fps, but with the split image nature of the Rift its closer to 640x800@120fps

If developers(inde or otherwise) were making a game for a theoretical Playstation Oculus Rift, they would just need to target a lower resolution, 720p for each eye. The PS4 should easily be able to pull off something like Half life 2 quality graphics or better with 60 frames per eye.

YuShtink

You're wrong.
It needs to run at 60 fps, and each eye simply sees HALF of the frame rendered.

What about no one buying anyone and keeping misplaced brand loyalty in check?

This so much. The Rift should remain an open platform that all can experienced by all. Sony AND MS should support it. The SDK is also supported by Mac OSX and Android. Try to think a little bigger than console wars here, people.

GeraldT

Neo Member
You're wrong.
It needs to run at 60 fps, and each eye simply sees HALF of the frame rendered.

What about no one buying anyone and keeping misplaced brand loyalty in check?

it's the same thing said differently ...

the big point is most modern hardware will be able to give a great experience with the Rift, even if they up the resolution further. Console would make for a great platform to allow developers to really optimize towards that 60 FPS (or even 120 FPS in the future) experience.
In 5 years or so it will be PCs kicking consoles ass though, because consoles are a bit weak to survive a 10 year VR lifecycle. But I don't mind a PS4.5 in 5 years with twice as much units so it can offer newest VR titles. The good thing about the current design is that they are likely able to remain compatible even with a hardware revision (unless they go back and stop being pcs).

YuShtink

If developers(inde or otherwise) were making a game for a theoretical Playstation Oculus Rift, they would just need to target a lower resolution, 720p for each eye. The PS4 should easily be able to pull off something like Half life 2 quality graphics or better with 60 frames per eye.

With the power of the next gen systems it's ENTIRELY possible to make Oculus compatible games. If the game is already running 1080p/60, or even just 720p/60, developers would just need to tone down the graphical effects a bit more to have a nice Oculus mode running.

For bigger games it could work a lot like split screen local multiplayer. Rift mode just has slightly downgraded graphics from normal mode to keep that framerate up. Even without that extra bit of bells and whistles the experience would be on a whole other level of immersion.
In general I think a lot of Indy games aren't technically demanding enough that you'd even have to adjust the visual fidelity.

CTLance

Step one: Load a few PLEX into the cargo bay of a nice, strong Ibis
Step two: Broadcast on forums and /r/eve that you're about to stream yourself flying the S.S. PLEX, touring across the universe until someone blows up the ship.
Step three: Escape all the incoming fire for as long as possible, playing Titanic final-moments-band-music for the stream.
Twist: Cargohold only contains 1xExotic Dancers (male).

GeraldT

Neo Member
No, it's not.
Rendering a frame and looking at its two halves with each eye is different from rendering two different frames.

as far as the processing power needed is going, where is the big difference? that is what that discussion is about right?

and I don't say I am right here, I am really curious as to where you see the difference.

Sentenza

as far as the processing power needed is going, where is the big difference? that is what that discussion is about right?
I'm not claiming there is a big difference in computational power required, I'm saying it's a different process and it doesn't require "120hz" as someone was claiming.

Durante

Note that, to fully use the available FoV, you need to actually render an image that is ~40% larger than the display resolution on the Rift. And obviously good AA is even more important than on a normal display, simply because artifacts such as aliasing or flickering are much more obvious and distracting.

Sentenza

Note that, to fully use the available FoV, you need to actually render an image that is ~40% larger than the display resolution on the Rift. And obviously good AA is even more important than on a normal display, simply because artifacts such as aliasing or flickering are much more obvious and distracting.
Don't know... Distracting as you want, I'm going to take a stance for performance over IQ, IF a trade-off is necessary.
Fluidity and low latency should be absolutely mandatory in a VR environment, even if that means more jaggies.

Lulubop

This so much. The Rift should remain an open platform that all can experienced by all. Sony AND MS should support it. The SDK is also supported by Mac OSX and Android. Try to think a little bigger than console wars here, people.

But Sony man! Sony.

Momentary

Banned
I'm sure with a little tweaking on the software side, third person games will work fantastic with this also. I'm pretty sure you just can't take third person game that didn't take Oculus Rift in mind to begin with and expect it to be a perfect experience.

syko de4d

I'm sure with a little tweaking on the software side, third person games will work fantastic with this also. I'm pretty sure you just can't take third person game that didn't take Oculus Rift in mind to begin with and expect it to be a perfect experience.

you will just feel like Navi from Ocarina of time. Just scream "Hey" and "Listen" all the time and you have the perfect Navi Emulator.

Durante

Don't know... Distracting as you want, I'm going to take a stance for performance over IQ, IF a trade-off is necessary.
Fluidity and low latency should be absolutely mandatory in a VR environment, even if that means more jaggies.
Ideally, you want both. And a 4k display with 120 Hz :p
Actually, thinking about it like that, GPU manufacturers are actually the ones who should invest in VR.

syko de4d

GPU manufacturers are actually the ones who should invest in VR.

And still nothing about Oculus Rift from AMD or Nvidia. Maybe they are secret investors and we didn´t know that? I can´t imagine that these both Firms can´t see how much they can benefit from VR.

GeraldT

Neo Member
I was just finding out about this yesterday but it makes sense. It's because of the barrel distortion I believe. Pulls the edges of the image inward to expand the center.

ahh okay, you are talking about the prewarp area, makes sense then. It's not exactly a FoV issue, since you can change the FoV without changing the amount of pixels needed to render. But before you can apply the warp you need to render pixels that then will be eaten by the warping that is correct. :)

YuShtink

Some more twitter posts from the last couple hours. God I need this thing NOW.

David Ellis ‏@DavidEllis 3h
Most jaw dropping I played all week was EVR, the Oculus Rift dogfighting demo. Most fun game was Titanfall. Destiny looked great as well.

John ‏@magaman 3h
Checked out EVR at CCP, holy crap is it amazing on Oculus Rift amazing

Colin Moriarty ‏@notaxation 3h
By the way, the best thing I saw at the show was EVE's Oculus Rift space shooter. Thing is fucking nuts. That's the future. Kudos,

Quinn Sullivan ‏@Soulibon 3h
@CCPGames never ceases to amaze me. Their protoype for their EvEVR Oculus Rift game was a true next generation experience.

R. Bryant Francis ‏@RBryant2012 2h
Just tried CCP's Oculus Rift Dogfighting demo. AAAAAHHHHHH

shaun prescott ‏@shaun_prescott 2h
Played Eve Online with Oculus Rift today. I want to live in virtual reality space. I am changed.

Peer Schneider ‏@PeerIGN 2h
E3 is done. Immediate regret: wanted one more game of EVE VR using Oculus Rift! What a cool glimpse at the future.

Dan Ryckert ‏@DanRyckert 2h
Tried the Unreal demo and EVR with Oculus Rift. The Rift is genuinely one of the coolest things I've ever seen the industry produce.

Blake Rochkind ‏@BlakeRochkind 2h
I will forever remember that at the end of the last day of E3 @rocket2guns and I went TO THE FUTURE and experienced Oculus EVE for 1st time.

Michael Grimm ‏@Pseudobread 2h
I was a Oculus Rift doubter, but @ccpgames' EVR flight combat game has made me a believer. Legitimately wowed. #E3

Nick Chester ‏@nickchester 2h
I did, however, play CCP's Eve Oculus Rift tech demo and that was a rad experience, for sure.

Strebeck ‏@Strebeck 2h
@CCPGames quietly had the sickest demo at #E3. That Oculus Rift EveVR thing was freakin legit!

I love it.

GeraldT

Neo Member
Some more twitter posts from the last couple hours. God I need this thing NOW.

Dave Oshry @DaveOshry

Hard to describe playing CCP's eVR with @Oculus3D. Other than saying that I literally just flew a spaceship.

Go and get one you YuShtink ;) ... I have mine for a month now and I won't give it away. Not even when I get the new HD version sometime in the future, I will just use the old one for multiplayer :)

YuShtink

Dave Oshry @DaveOshry

Hard to describe playing CCP's eVR with @Oculus3D. Other than saying that I literally just flew a spaceship.

Go and get one you YuShtink ;) ... I have mine for a month now and I won't give it away. Not even when I get the new HD version sometime in the future, I will just use the old one for multiplayer :)

Haha oh don't worry I ordered mine back in January pretty much the moment I found out about it and researched. Mine's been in processing now since May 28th, I think I'm part of the US batch that got stuck in customs which is awful. Seriously dying for it at this point...

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I played a ton of Dirt 2 yesterday on my Rift, and being able to turn as you move around the track completely changes the way you play. When drifting you can actually look where you're headed instead of where your car is pointing. Also I've got my minion bobblehead on the dashboard for moral support.

Vireio should properly support GRID in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait for that.

They say that you shouldn't order a dev kit unless you're a developer, but it was definitely worth the price, and more agonizingly the wait to try this thing out first hand.

Top Bottom