• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVR - CCP's Oculus Rift Space Dogfighting Game getting RAVE reviews from E3 goers

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's that good. Seriously impressive. They just need a better display on it (1080 minimum, would like to see 1440p. I'm not sure how much AA will help) and to knock the latency down a few ms (For me, for others it's probably fine).
Wow. I really hope it works like this for me too then. I've always said VR and stuff like that down the line is obviously the ultimate direction for gaming, but it's about getting it in at a consumer level price. This isn't quite the ultimate VR ideal (probably still decades away from that yet), but it's an amazing step in that direction, and if they can get these things down to a 300 or 400 price point, it's going to set shelves on fire I think.

When people keep describing the feeling as if they were REALLY flying through space, it's like my brain opened up onto my childhood, me staring at the stars at the top of Camelback Mountain, they turned off all the lights on the ski slopes just for us, so we could have the darkest night sky available. And then I saw my first shooting star and moons around Saturn through the telescope, and I never ever forgot that my first dream was to just start flying through that sea of astonishing and brilliant beauty. If something can bring me there again, I think I can retire gracefully from gaming one day :)

Oh man. 48 player battles with spaceships swooping around your cockpit and it feels like you're actually there? I think I may have just been sold for real.
Gonna cross post here:

Oculus Rift (If A Tree Screams in the Forest - IndieCade)

It's an indie tech demo that makes use of the OR
The OR is neat, but the current low resolution display and very perceptible lag/latency/input->photon did not immerse me. I'm extremely sad about this as it seems I'm in the minority. Note I mostly game on PC at 90-120FPS.
  • Walk a path and have some trees stalk you when you aren't looking at them
  • Don't let the trees get you (Tree audio when they creep is unsettling and based on position)
  • Having to physically turn around to check for things made me feel VERY much more connected to the tension the game was building.
  • I burned the shit outta those trees

Oculus Rift (Sound Self - IndieCade)

• It loops the rough sound of your voice into a tunneling visualizer
  • It's trippy
  • I got very dizzy when I stopped making noise and it went backwards at 60mph
  • Amazing potential for users under an influence
NS71NnX.jpg

Oculus Rift (EVE VR)
  • Shit is amazing. BELIEVE.
  • All points by Evilore I can echo since I wasn't sure I could talk about it.

EVR is different. It's running 60FPS, making perfect use of the tech, applying it just enough onto something that already works (space combat).
Head tracking is wonderfully responsive and the missile reticule you aim with your head (toggle trigger) is incredibly precise with PC levels of input time (good).
It's just a joy to play and really adds another dimension of immersion.

YuShtink

Yea the 48 player battle thing sounds insanely cool.

What I find most amazing about the reactions to EVR is that, like it has been said before, the thing isn't even a real game. This is a rudimentary demo, that at its core is an extremely short, shallow version of this type of game. Barely any man power or time was put into it. As a normal game (while it's certainly competent work) this would be completely overlooked and blown off as shovelware or a piece of a mediocre mini-game collection at best.

That's not a knock on the CCP guys at all. It sounds like they did a really great job of honing the experience for the Rift, but I think even they would admit that without the Rift the game would be nothing special. But here they are, the first people to demo a legitimate, professionally made experience on the Rift, knocking peoples' socks off, so major kudos to them for getting ahead of the game.

What this really tells me is that when full AAA experiences are made for this thing from the ground up, people are absolutely going to shit themselves.

Amir0x

Banned
Man thanks so much for those impressions. Just man. I need that in my life apparently. Flying through space has always been a dream that from childhood I knew I could never achieve, and if this can even go halfway to making me feel immersed in my full on life's dream, it will have been worth it.

Durante

It's that good. Seriously impressive. They just need a better display on it (1080 minimum, would like to see 1440p. I'm not sure how much AA will help)
AA helps a whole lot. I played HL2 with 4xMSAA at first on the Rift (That was my default setting for 2560x1440 on my monitor). I then cranked it up to 8xSGSSAA for playing on the Rift, and the difference is massive. Due to the low pixel density, the impact of any kind of pixel artifact (aliasing, pixel crawling, flickering, you name it) is massively increased. The image stability that results from 8xSGSSAA greatly increases the solidity of the whole experience.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AA helps a whole lot. I played HL2 with 4xMSAA at first on the Rift (That was my default setting for 2560x1440 on my monitor). I then cranked it up to 8xSGSSAA for playing on the Rift, and the difference is massive. Due to the low pixel density, the impact of any kind of pixel artifact (aliasing, pixel crawling, flickering, you name it) is massively increased. The image stability that results from 8xSGSSAA greatly increases the solidity of the whole experience.
That's good to hear.

New PAR on the EVR:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/what-the-creation-of-mirrors-edge-taught-the-new-ccp-hire-about-the-possibi

“Based on the feedback from Fanfest and E3, for sure that is very much a topic of conversation, whether we should take EVR and turn, as we sometimes refer to it, turn Pinochio into a real boy,” CCP Games CEO Hilmar Petursson told the Penny Arcade Report.

Also includes talk about Mirror's Edge:

“Mirror’s Edge, one of the pieces was the art style, and the world you build around it. And then the character, and then what do you do in that world? So you have to build it out in concentric rings,” Decker explained “At some point you get an amount of mass that tells you yes, this is it, we’re going to do it.”

“It’s not a completely logical system, but it’s one that I’ve found has worked in the past, and that’s the right way to go,” he finished.

Top Bottom