• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVR - CCP's Oculus Rift Space Dogfighting Game getting RAVE reviews from E3 goers

GeraldT

Neo Member
Haha oh don't worry I ordered mine back in January pretty much the moment I found out about it and researched. Mine's been in processing now since May 28th, I think I'm part of the US batch that got stuck in customs which is awful. Seriously dying for it at this point...

Man I feel with you mate - I skipped all Oculus mails and got a "UPS mail" out of the blue (wasn't expecting mine for another month at the time). The really tough part comes when it's 2 or 3 days away ... I was refreshing the tracking info like twice every hour. :D

But glad you already have yours on the way. Hope those custom issues get solved soon.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Played yesterday. First time with Oculus Rift (dev kit's shipping soon). As a veteran space combat gamer, I jumped right in and it was incredibly natural and totally awesome. Looking up and around I felt like I was in an actual cockpit, and targeting based on head tracking reticle, like with an Apache FLIR display, worked perfectly and added a new layer to play depth compared to shooting just where your ship is pointing.

Got the high score ;b

GeraldT

Neo Member
Played yesterday. First time with Oculus Rift (dev kit's shipping soon). As a veteran space combat gamer, I jumped right in and it was incredibly natural and totally awesome. Looking up and around I felt like I was in an actual cockpit, and targeting based on head tracking reticle, like with an Apache FLIR display, worked perfectly and added a new layer to play depth compared to shooting just where your ship is pointing.

Got the high score ;b

EVE-VR? Man I really want to try that too ... I can't wait for the first cool mulitplayer experiences.

Jac_Solar

That infectious childlike enthusiasm. It's like playing games for the first time again.

I'm going to end up holding off on playing the Star Citizen Alpha/Beta/Release until the consumer Rift is in my hands. The wait will be excruciating.

Maybe you'd appreciate the Rift version even more if you were familiar with the game!

Atomski

So tired of console kids saying this must come to whatever console to be amazing.

It already is amazing it dosnt need to be on consoles. Support it on an open platform were it belongs.

DTKT

So tired of console kids saying this must come to whatever console to be amazing.

It already is amazing it dosnt need to be on consoles. Support it on an open platform were it belongs.

If you want to Rift to have mass market adoption, it needs to be on as many platforms as possible.

Atomski

If you want to Rift to have mass market adoption, it needs to be on as many platforms as possible.

They are making plenty of money being niche.

The end result will mean more gamers coming back to PC to get a next gen experience they cant get on consoles. Which will boost income on PC and get many developers to start supporting it more as well. It will be great for PC and I hope the creators stick to it.. I am sure Valve is pushing them to do so.

Plus screw the mass market.. look at all the awesome classic PC games that get dumbed down cause publishers want them for the "mass market". Gaming has always been more cool as a niche thing.

The end result will mean more gamers coming back to PC to get a next gen experience they cant get on consoles. Which will boost income on PC and get many developers to start supporting it more as well. It will be great for PC and I hope the creators stick to it.. I am sure Valve is pushing them to do so.

Plus screw the mass market.. look at all the awesome classic PC games that get dumbed down cause publishers want them for the "mass market". Gaming has always been more cool as a niche thing.

This makes no sense at all. You basically want to turn VR in the a 6 year old boys tree house with a "no girls allowed" sign over it.

Stifle your elitist garbage.

Some of us want to see VR take off in a big way and the fastest way to do that is for a mass market console adopt it, so as many people as possible can experience it.

Sentenza

"Oh, look, there is this awesome thing that is growing as a wonderful and widely supported open standard.
Well, LET'S HOPE MY FAVORITE CORPORATION IS GOING TO BUY IT OUT, so they can close it as a proprietary thing I will be able to enjoy just on their not-yet-released new piece of hardware
(which is not even on the market now but I'm totally buying because I like them so much)!"

Gasgul

Eve Online isn't for everyone,
its universe and art assets and its tech needs to be experienced by more people

im very exited for EVR for those reasons, i believe this is the first time they are using thier assets outside of eve online, it gives me hope for the future.

ive stopped and started eve many times, ive started after reading something on battle reports or through the propaganda campaigns eve alliances/coalitions are famous for, but i know whenever i resub its not for long, i do it to pay homage and tribute to ccp itself, throwing my loose change at them to keep their ship afloat whether they need it or not.

I just wish that they would make more offline vignettes from Eve Online, to tell the great stories we read about, re-enact the great campaigns of players from previous years, tell those stories with you as one of the grunts, in the front-line, as one of the logi in the back line, as one of the diplo's that made those decisions, make it linear game play it doesn't matter, just make it interactive tell the story in client, it doesn't have to be good game play, if the story is told well it will be enough.

I want them to give me a reason to give them more money for, sadly eve online itself is not doing it from what I get out of it from personal gameplay.

edit: i dont consider Dust as outside Eve Online. it is too intertwined with eve itself.

DTKT

That is such a skewed perspective. If you truly want the RIFT to succeed as an entertainment device, it needs to be much more than "niche". It needs to be everywhere.

Atomski

This makes no sense at all. You basically want to turn VR in the a 6 year old boys tree house with a "no girls allowed" sign over it.

Some of us want to see VR take off in a big way and the fastest way to do that is for a mass market console adopt it, so as many people as possible can experience it.

I dont want to restrict it.. I want the PC market to grow. This is the perfect device to attract part of that mass market back to PC like I said in my previous post.

Also wtf why is it consoles can have exclusives and all and yet once PC gets something original and cool its alright to start begging and shit?

That is such a skewed perspective. If you truly want the RIFT to succeed as an entertainment device, it needs to be much more than "niche". It needs to be everywhere.

What.. how is it skewed. So there shoudnt be console exclusives either if thats the case? Why can't PC have an exclusive to attract the market?

Gasgul

is this really the thread we need to be talking about console vs pc?

since nearly all sides are on the same chip none of them are going away,

why argue over what you plug the rift into?

thread should be about rift, ccp, and the game itself,

Ionic

Also wtf why is it consoles can have exclusives and all and yet once PC gets something original and cool its alright to start begging and shit?

A lot of people here believe that the importance of a device like the Oculus Rift succeeding in the industry is greater than that of furthering the popularity of their primary gaming platform.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
EVE's combat is already lacking but now I'm just so disappointed in my little Enyo.

Atomski

A lot of people here believe that the importance of a device like the Oculus Rift succeeding in the industry is greater than that of furthering the popularity of their primary gaming platform.

They are doing just fine though! their business is skyrocketing.,. they can hardly keep up with the demand just of the development kit at this point. you guys act like PC stuff can't be successful its insane. Does Blizzard need to be on consoles to "succeed"?!

Gasgul

EVE's combat is already lacking but now I'm just so disappointed in my little Enyo.

far too much sp spent on my ishkur personally, loved that drone dps, sadly new ai hates my hobII's

ya this definately makes eve combat feel lacking,

=)

Ionic

They are doing just fine though! their business is skyrocketing.,. they can hardly keep up with the demand just of the development kit at this point. you guys act like PC stuff can't be successful its insane. Does Blizzard need to be on consoles to "succeed"?!

It's not just about the company doing fine. A lot of it is about getting the idea into as many heads as possible that VR is now an appealing possibility for gaming, and not only that, but it provides in many ways a superior experience. It will be very successful when it launches for PC in 2014, but if millions more can learn about the product through boxes they already have (consoles), then it will make the adoption of VR that much more important for developers. I want to see as many people as possible experiencing this device and as many games as possible supporting this technology. Locking the Oculus to one platform is not the way to go about doing it. I'm sorry, but a good number of people are in favor of spreading the influence of the Oculus Rift more than creating an exclusive feature for the PC platform. Though I love the PC too, and consider it the "best" platform for games, supporting it with an exclusive feature is not very important when video games as a whole could be experiencing a huge change towards VR and immersion.

Dude. Duuuuude. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Now let the hype consume your unworthy mortal soul.

Don't even tell me ya don't know about the head tracking. Dude.

i watched the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJo12Hz_BVI), head tracking seemed to be the focus, but they did not mention anything about it being 3D of the highest order. I truly feel this is the future of immersive gaming. the only problem is gaming will become more of a isolated activity irl with other ppl in the room but the social aspects will remain online.

whoever buys this tech may have the upper hand in the next next gen. i dream of a futuristic power gloves sort of tech that would compliment the OR.

No the fastest way to take a massive SHIT on all the potential games have with it is by putting it inside a walled garden.

Rift needs to stay open source.

If the consoles want to use it they can fucking license it, not buy it up and snuff competition and innovation.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

Oh yes, PC Gaming. Fuck everyone else we need to feel special.

I played a ton of Dirt 2 yesterday on my Rift, and being able to turn as you move around the track completely changes the way you play. When drifting you can actually look where you're headed instead of where your car is pointing. Also I've got my minion bobblehead on the dashboard for moral support.

Vireio should properly support GRID in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait for that.

They say that you shouldn't order a dev kit unless you're a developer, but it was definitely worth the price, and more agonizingly the wait to try this thing out first hand.

Racing games are amazing with Rift and a Wheel.

Durante

No the fastest way to take a massive SHIT on all the potential games have with it is by putting it inside a walled garden.

If the consoles want to use it they can fucking license it, not buy it up and snuff competition and innovation.
I completely agree with this. Calling for them to be bought out, as if that were a good thing, is incomprehensible for me. License the technology to also appear on closed platforms? Sure, why not. But making it exclusive to one particuar proprietary box would be absolutely terrible.

Who the fuck said anything about making the Rift console exclusive? I was talking about Sony supporting it.

The Oculus Rift wouldn't be be any less awesome if we console peasants were able to experience quality VR.

KKRT00

Its not lacking. You cant have 20vs20, 50vs50 or 300vs300 organized engagements with EVR combat. Also scrambling, webbing, disrupting and jamming would be bad in EVR system.

Who the fuck said anything about making the Rift console exclusive? I was talking about Sony supporting it.

The Oculus Rift wouldn't be be any less awesome if we console peasants were able to experience quality VR.

That's entirely up to the console makers, though, because Oculus has stated that the tech is very easy to adapt to work on next-gen consoles. We'll probably see both companies develop their own proprietary solutions if VR takes off, I don't think it's in their character or in their interest to simply license the Oculus stuff unless they can manage some sort of exclusivity.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I completely agree with this. Calling for them to be bought out, as if that were a good thing, is incomprehensible for me. License the technology to also appear on closed platforms? Sure, why not. But making it exclusive to one particuar proprietary box would be absolutely terrible.

Yes, the calls for Microsoft or Sony to buy them are insane. Supporting the hardware on the other hand is not.

Raskett

I can't wait for the stories of people being burgled whilst wearing the rift.

"that was awesome, everything looks so rea.... where's my tv gone?!"

Not hating, this thing is amazing.

GeraldT

Neo Member
Valve have made Portal 1 '-vr enabled', so get on that too... terminal velocity... puuukkkeee

yeah I tried it, there are still graphics bugs in there - I wait until they fixed it up and announce it officially. At the moment you can for example only see through the portal on one eye. Given what the game is about that kinda kills it for me.

smurfx

get some go again
all the console makers need to jump on this. sounds freaking amazing and something that can bring in million of new gamers.

Mindlog

Maybe you'd appreciate the Rift version even more if you were familiar with the game!
I'm sure if I haven't played by then I will own the entire fleet of available ships and all the physical goods possible.

ylW2S.jpg

Could use some Rift's edited into those frames.
Starting to get the urge to replay some classics.
Independence War on the Rift would be glorious.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Played this yesterday and saw the HD version of the Rift, and I am 100% a believer. EVR was one of my dream games come to life, and Electronic Arts needs to take notice of it and have CCP make them an Oculus Rift X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter game. It really, really works. Amazingly well.

Also was fortunate enough to meet and talk to EviLore this E3 before he sets off on his journeys.

Mindlog

Here is the most awesome video about someone talking about Oculus Rift after using the 1080p Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvkO1JpTp4&feature=youtu.be&t=21m1s

It´s the same guy that played Eve VR on his E3 Day 2 Recap, now it´s the Day 3 with full HD OR. Just listen :D

Man this video maybe deserves a own thread xD
That's another ringing endorsement. He was excited by the regular Rift, but the HD version is apparently on another level.
Ideally, you want both. And a 4k display with 120 Hz :p
Actually, thinking about it like that, GPU manufacturers are actually the ones who should invest in VR.
Yeah, I've been saying that since the beginning. ATI and Nvidia need to be on top of their respective Rift game. Powerful GPUs with low frame latency for everybody! Anyone who manufactures hardware should be slobbering all over the Rift. It's the direct counterpoint to all this 'cloud gaming future' talk. Rift owners aren't going to be keen on adding latency. Local hardware is king.

Amir0x

Banned

Got the high score ;b

If even you liked it, it must be something. To my knowledge you're not a big fan of pointless gimmicks either, so this is heartening.

It's hard to believe it's so convincing without the higher framerates and resolution upgrade to where it can potentially be down the road, but if it is already so believable like you say I can't imagine how amazing it will be later when they have those things.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If even you liked it, it must be something. To my knowledge you're not a big fan of pointless gimmicks either, so this is heartening.

It's hard to believe it's so convincing without the higher framerates and resolution upgrade to where it can potentially be down the road, but if it is already so believable like you say I can't imagine how amazing it will be later when they have those things.

Honestly, the fidelity on the first gen 720p devkit was crap. Extremely pixelated, and smeary motion blur. But the experience remains, unlike anything else, and I'm sure a higher quality 1080p panel will address most of the concerns. So it's as expected, really.

Will be a game changer.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Also, I spoke to the devs, and they said that the EVR demo was produced in about four weeks with four people (plus a few people contributing a little bit on the side), and that they can trivially scale it to any size multiplayer battle since it's not resource intensive at all as a 3v3. They want to show it off at subsequent conventions with large scale battles, 48 players etc.

GeraldT

Neo Member
Also, I spoke to the devs, and they said that the EVR demo was produced in about four weeks with four people (plus a few people contributing a little bit on the side), and that they can trivially scale it to any size multiplayer battle since it's not resource intensive at all as a 3v3. They want to show it off at subsequent conventions with large scale battles, 48 players etc.

massive scale multiplayer experiences, especially in space, must be very awesome with the Rift. I can't wait to get into a SciFi movie style space battle with action in every direction no matter where you look.

ag-my001

Forget having one of the console companies buy it up: have Disney/Lucasarts been made aware of the potential gold-mine called "X-wing vs. TIE Fighter II"? Start licensing now!

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly, the fidelity on the first gen 720p devkit was crap. Extremely pixelated, and smeary motion blur. But the experience remains, unlike anything else, and I'm sure a higher quality 1080p panel will address most of the concerns. So it's as expected, really.

Will be a game changer.

Wow. I really hope it works like this for me too then. I've always said VR and stuff like that down the line is obviously the ultimate direction for gaming, but it's about getting it in at a consumer level price. This isn't quite the ultimate VR ideal (probably still decades away from that yet), but it's an amazing step in that direction, and if they can get these things down to a 300 or 400 price point, it's going to set shelves on fire I think.

When people keep describing the feeling as if they were REALLY flying through space, it's like my brain opened up onto my childhood, me staring at the stars at the top of Camelback Mountain, they turned off all the lights on the ski slopes just for us, so we could have the darkest night sky available. And then I saw my first shooting star and moons around Saturn through the telescope, and I never ever forgot that my first dream was to just start flying through that sea of astonishing and brilliant beauty. If something can bring me there again, I think I can retire gracefully from gaming one day :)

Oh man. 48 player battles with spaceships swooping around your cockpit and it feels like you're actually there? I think I may have just been sold for real.

Top Bottom