• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

H_Prestige said:
Yeah, wouldn't this make the ps3 the most open system of all? That sounds kind of hard to believe that it could go from the most locked down system to the most open over night.

Except it doesn't seem like it ever was that secure to begin with, just no reason to spend the time, money, and effort to work on it. Once Sony removed OtherOS it was as if Sony blasted a pile of shit at a wall in a room full of flies. Also, you get very experienced hackers interested and anything is possible. Which is pretty much what has happened.

test_account

XP-39C²
H_Prestige said:
Yeah, wouldn't this make the ps3 the most open system of all? That sounds kind of hard to believe that it could go from the most locked down system to the most open over night.
I think that the Wii is the most open system. Is there any hack that hasnt been done on the Wii yet? You can even run backup retail games directly from a memstick.

I dont think that this private key makes the PS3 more open than it was like a week ago. From what i understand, the only difference now is that you dont need to jailbreak the PS3 to run homebrew.

From the presentation.
bpnhs6y7mnwce92ip.jpg

N.A

Banned
confused said:
So, what about blurays ? Gamecopies now playable ?

Games are signed with different keys. They said it was possible to get the key but that they wouldn't be working on it. Someone will probably make some loader though.

LovingSteam said:
Except it doesn't seem like it ever was that secure to begin with, just no reason to spend the time, money, and effort to work on it. Once Sony removed OtherOS it was as if Sony blasted a pile of shit at a wall in a room full of flies. Also, you get very experienced hackers interested and anything is possible. Which is pretty much what has happened.

Sony removed the OtherOS when shit was about to hit the fan. It would have happened either way.

Mr_Brit

Banned
test_account said:
I think that the Wii is the most open system. Is there any hack that hasnt been done on the Wii yet? You can even run backup retail games directly from a memstick.

I dont think that this private key makes the PS3 more open than it was like a week ago. From what i understand, the only difference now is that you dont need to jailbreak the PS3 to run homebrew.
Really? What I got from GAF and other sources is that you can now sign our own homebrew files and use them on any PS3, hacked or not.

Mr_Brit said:
Really? What I got from GAF and other sources is that you can now sign our own homebrew files and use them on any PS3, hacked or not.

So the FW version wouldn't make a difference at all? We can still sign into PSN?

test_account

XP-39C²
LovingSteam said:
I think that the hack would have happend regardless of the OtherOS removal. I think that people would have released the PS3Jailbreak anyway. And if no one had gotten their hand on this PS3 dongle, who knows if the PS3 would have been hacked by now.

Mr_Brit said:
Yes, but running homebrew on a PS3 has already been possible for months :) The only difference is that you had to use a PS3 jailbreak device to do it, now you dont have to use such a device. But as far as functions (running homebrew) i dont see any difference, at least so far. If they manage to run CFW because of this, then it would be something different of course :)

Wazzim

Banned
This will be as awesome as the PSP golden age of homebrew but even simpler, can't wait for the emulators.

Oh btw: Sony, you will be sucked.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
LovingSteam said:

Please, this isn't just a result of fighting against the power because evil $ony removed Linux. There were plenty of people interested in breaking the system beforehand and modchip makers wanting to make to sell to pirates.

This news doesn't seem completely huge, just another jailbreak for a newer firmware and beyond. At least Sony should be able to block this off of PSN eventually.

Metalmurphy said:
Sony removed the OtherOS when shit was about to hit the fan. It would have happened either way.
Nope. Sony shipped the Slim without OtherOS support, which was the reason why people started working on this. The removal from the old consoles came few months later.

N.A

Banned
H_Prestige said:
So the FW version wouldn't make a difference at all? We can still sign into PSN?

The only current problem is installing the packages in the first place. If you don't have a PS3 that is jailbreakable you won't be able to get the packages onto the system. (3.41 users can upgrade once they have a signed FTP app or filemanager).

They did say they have a method for any PS3 to downgrade though (involves a hardware hack).

BSTF said:
Please, this isn't just a result of fighting against the power because evil $ony removed Linux. There were plenty of people interested in breaking the system beforehand and modchip makers wanting to make to sell to pirates.

This news doesn't seem completely huge, just another jailbreak for a newer firmware and beyond. At least Sony should be able to block this off of PSN eventually.

Um, this is huge. One doesn't need to downgrade or jailbreak their system to use homebrew applications. There is no way for Sony to require updates since like the PSP, hackers can implement their own updates to the firmware. And if it turns into CFW, they'll be able to implement updates that include the good without the bad.

That's the thing. Homebrew, emulators, region free Blu-rays (perhaps) are all welcome, but rampant piracy and cheaters are not exactly what this industry and honest gamers need.

Shiloa

Magic Mushroom said:
That's the thing. Homebrew, emulators, region free Blu-rays (perhaps) are all welcome, but rampant piracy and cheaters are not exactly what this industry and honest gamers need.
I agree. I sincerely hope this doesn't lead to PSP levels of piracy. Hopefully it's too late in the life cycle of the console to make a significant impact to most.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Shiloa said:
I agree. I sincerely hope this doesn't lead to PSP levels of piracy. Hopefully it's too late in the life cycle of the console to make a significant impact to most.

Unlikely. People have been pirating on 360, Wii and PS2 for years and that never really impacted software sales.

N.A said:
The only current problem is installing the packages in the first place. If you don't have a PS3 that is jailbreakable you won't be able to get the packages onto the system. (3.41 users can upgrade once they have a signed FTP app or filemanager).

They did say they have a method for any PS3 to downgrade though (involves a hardware hack).

Damn, that sucks.

Was about to buy another PS3 for all this homebrew stuff since I was to scared to mess with the original one. Maybe I won't have to do that anymore. I wish there was a switch to switch between a completely undetectable uncompromised state and homebrewville.

Edit: Maybe I still do need another one :/

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
LovingSteam said:
Um, this is huge. One doesn't need to downgrade or jailbreak their system to use homebrew applications. There is no way for Sony to require updates since like the PSP, hackers can implement their own updates to the firmware. And if it turns into CFW, they'll be able to implement updates that include the good without the bad.

The PS3 was already a broken system, this just breaks the system for later firmwares. Slightly more breaking than the downgrader. There was nothing stopping people from releasing a CFW for jailbroken PS3s that let you back into PSN. This just allows OFW to run homebrew, but as I said, Sony has ways to block this on PSN so you're stuck with an offline console just like you were with a jailbroken PS3.

CozMick

Banned
Shiloa said:

Piracy doesn't immediately affect me, it's the cheaters in the game I spent my hard earned cash on that has me worried.

XBL is rife with this shit :(

N.A said:

Supposedly this isn't so. Grandy who runs PSgroove said this

<@grandy> these are new exploits
<NoLongerG> oh, i see
<@grandy> not jailbreak usb overflows

When I asked him if people like myself (on 3.55 official) are screwed.

BSTF said:
The PS3 was already a broken system, this just breaks the system for later firmwares. Slightly more breaking than the downgrader. There was nothing stopping people from releasing a CFW for jailbroken PS3s that let you back into PSN. This just allows OFW to run homebrew, but as I said, Sony has ways to block this on PSN so you're stuck with an offline console just like you were with a jailbroken PS3.

Care to back this claim up with evidence? That CFW has been possible from the get go?

pcostabel

Gold Member
carlosp said:
no, because you need a way to put them on your ps3 and the normal system doesnt allow any kind of executable data transfer between a USB stick and the PS3 file system.

You can install firmware updates from USB.

BSTF said:

What are you smoking? they never had access to level 1 of the hypervisor before. all jalibreaking does is allowing you to run unsigned code.

N.A

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Supposedly this isn't so. Grandy who runs PSgroove said this

When I asked him if people like myself (on 3.55 official) are screwed.

I'm sure people on 3.55 will be able to install CFW by installing a signed .pup but until that is possible there is no function in retail firmware to install packages without access to the vsh/ folder (unless they have also worked out how to access the PS3's filesystem externally) or with the jailbreak.

N.A

Banned
Nice summary from PSGroove.com:

Sony's PS3 Security is Epic Fail

The first few minutes of the conference were spent explaining the state of security on other consoles (Wii, 360, etc). Following this, the group went on to explain the current state of affairs on the PS3. First, explaining Geohot's memory line glitching exploit from earlier this year. The team then went on to explain the current PS3 security bypasses, such as jailbreaking and service mode/downgrading.

Approximately a half hour in, the team revealed their new PS3 secrets, the moment we all were waiting for. One of the major highlights here was, dongle-less jailbreaking by overflowing the bootup NOR flash, giving complete control over the system. The other major feat, was calculating the public private keys (due to botched security), giving users the ability to sign their own SELFs Following this, the team declared Sony's security to be EPIC FAIL!

The recent advent of these new exploits means current firmware is vulnerable, v3.55 and possibly beyond. It will be very difficult for Sony to fix the described exploits.

The team then displayed the website http://fail0verflow.com/ were we assume will host examples of the new exploits and further details. They stated that easy to use tools would be coming next month.

Read more: PSGroove.com - Sony's PS3 Security is Epic Fail http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-Sony-s-PS3-Security-is-Epic-Fail#ixzz19WMUJZAE

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
LovingSteam said:
Care to back this claim up with evidence? That CFW has been possible from the get go?

Jailbroken PS3s let you run unsigned executables.

Retail PS3s let you run signed executables. This news is just allowing unsigned executables like the ones already released to be signed and run on retail consoles.

The possibility of CFW is not closer than it was a couple of hours ago. The only news this delivers is that there is the possibility of it on 3.55+ consoles.

Evoga

Is it possible for them to start running cheats/hacks in online games on psn?

This is the only point that would worry me as playing with people cheating online ruins the gaming experience and would make me switch to Xbox for 100% online console gaming.

BSTF said:

Retail PS3s let you run signed executables. This news is just allowing unsigned executables like the ones already released to be signed and run on retail consoles.

The possibility of CFW is not closer than it was a couple of hours ago. The only news this delivers is that there is the possibility of it on 3.55+ consoles.

Hypervisor security broken
No need for dongles
New exploits
Can sign homebrew on all systems
Potentially offers the ability to offer updates without Sony official updates

So yea, none of that was possible before today's announcement. Still not seeing where you get the notion that CFW has been possible since the first unsigned code was running on the PS3.

Momo

Banned
Evoga said:
Is it possible for them to start running cheats/hacks in online games on psn?

This is the only point that would worry me as playing with people cheating online ruins the gaming experience and would make me switch to Xbox for 100% online console gaming.
:lol

BSTF said:

I think what changes this is the fact that on a jailbroken PS3 you can only read unsigned code, you can't write unsigned code, so this allows you to write to the OS.

Unless I am thinking this wrong, but either way, CFW wasn't possible because they didn't have access to some parts of the PS3, this allows for access to those parts or at least negates having to have access to it at all. something a jailbroken PS3 does not have the luxury of.

N.A

Banned
BSTF said:

Update .pup's and the contents of them are all signed and couldn't be modified (without the PS3 detecting it) before this key was found.

N.A

Banned
More from marcan:

Wii fakesigning vs. PS3 epic fail: Wii issue is a BUG in console code (fixable), PS3 issue is a FAIL in THEIR secret signer (not fixable).

IOW they CANNOT change keys or fix this in a new firmware, because stuff we sign is every bit as good as existing official software.

They can try to whitelist every existing piece of official PS3 code... but good luck with that.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kagari said:
Unlikely. People have been pirating on 360, Wii and PS2 for years and that never really impacted software sales.
It *definitely* impacted Wii games sales. I've asked this question to quite a few PR people over at different publishers, and they all told me Wii piracy was a real problem (360, not so much).

Top Bottom