• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

InsaneZero said:
You're just better off hating them now, since regardless of whether or not this will kickstart a wave of piracy (which it will) a security breach of this magnitude will start off a storm of new preventive measures that'll ruin the experience for everyone without doing much of anything.
Oh cry me a river marie.

Yagharek

j-wood said:
What I'm trying to say is that when I buy a video game console, I'm not buying it for the cell processor or the video card. I'm buying it to play games on. I think it's BS when people say they should be able to do what they want on the console hardware.

I know what youre getting at, but disagree.

If you buy a console with features X,Y, Z - you shouldnt expect it to be unable to to extra stuff a,b,c. BUT if it can, and you want to experiment with it, you should be and are legally entitled to open it up and do what you want to it. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem begins when people decide that added feature 'a' could be "ability to pirate software". As soon as you harm someone else's legitimate business - that where you lose the right.

Simply put:
1. console manufacturers are able to update a system so long as they dont remove features that were paid for
2. console owners should be able to do what they want with their hw so long as they dont make illegal copies of games they havent paid for

If someone wants to run some obscure linux disto on their 3ds for example, more power to them.

Emitan

j-wood said:
I think consoles fall under a different umbrella here. When you buy a music CD, it's then your property, why can't you put that online and give it to other people? It's your property to give away after all.

Consoles are a closed eco-system. That's a caveat you accept when you buy one. It's why backwards compatibility isn't always guaranteed. You can't play a SNES game on an NES.

When you buy a console, it is your property. You can set it on fire, you can move it to a new house, you can sell it. But you can't modify it because it's a closed eco-system. As much as companies try sometimes to market it that way, consoles are not PCs. It's a mistake to try and push it that way because the companies do NOT want people to use it like a PC.
How is putting a CD online the same thing as running a media center application on my PS3?

LovingSteam said:
Oh cry me a river marie.

Come now, this discovery is an absolute embarrassment to Sony. If they didn't do some kind of wide-sweeping act as a gesture of stopping the breach from doing much harm, they would lose face with their shareholders.

jsnepo

marathonfool said:
I hope this turn of events doesn't negatively affect me as a PS3 owner. I don't care what you do with your console. But if it starts messing with my experience, then I will be against all forms of modding on the PS3.

True. If some form of cheating is done online because of this, then screw hacking.

InsaneZero said:
Come now, this discovery is an absolute embarrassment to Sony. If they didn't do some kind of wide-sweeping act as a gesture of stopping the breach from doing much harm, they would lose face with their shareholders.
Please, tell me what they wil do to folks who couldnt care less.

RandomVince said:

If you buy a console with features X,Y, Z - you shouldnt expect it to be unable to to extra stuff a,b,c. BUT if it can, and you want to experiment with it, you should be and are legally entitled to open it up and do what you want to it. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem begins when people decide that added feature 'a' could be "ability to pirate software". As soon as you harm someone else's legitimate business - that where you lose the right.

Simply put:
1. console manufacturers are able to update a system so long as they dont remove features that were paid for
2. console owners should be able to do what they want with their hw so long as they dont make illegal copies of games they havent paid for

If someone wants to run some obscure linux disto on their 3ds for example, more power to them.
Welp, lets outlaw hammers because people may use it as a murder weapon. Lets outlaw PCs since it can be used for identity theft and or technological warfare.

darkwing

InsaneZero said:

what can they do? anyone can make a PS3 software now , heck even login into PSN

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Aaron said:
Sony advertises the PS3 as 'it only does everything.' Playing pirated games falls under the umbrella of everything. So it's really their fault.

Really dude? Really? Thats what you are going for?

I personally dont find it very righteous of hackers to make Sony pay millions of dollars cause they removed OtherOS, inspite of the fact that PS3 was the most open system of all.
Also, I dont think that it took them just 12 months to hack PS3. Not only they got a lot of help in the form of jigs etc, I am pretty sure that without Geohot's hack, they wouldnt have gotten anywhere. So its not like they started from scratch and within 12 months, it was Epic Fail for Sony.

j-wood

RandomVince said:

Simply put:

I agree with you on some points.

I think it was a stupid move for Sony to remove OtherOS. Really stupid.

If the console said you can install Linux, then you should totally be able to install linux and do what you want with it.

But when it gets down to hacking a console, I think two things are going to happen.

1. 95% of the people that use it, will pirate software.
2. In this case, people could write their own apps for the console. Who's to say someone doesn't write a virus to steal your PSN credit card info? That begins to affect every single PSN user out there.

darkwing said:
what can they do? anyone can make a PS3 software now , heck even login into PSN
They could potentially institute an online-restricted DRM scheme similar to Ubisoft's atrocious one, for example. It would a terrible idea, but there's not many other options now that the hardware-side's kaput.

Really, do you think that Sony's going to sit around and blindly hope that nobody abuses this because it's almost impossible to create a practical solution for this problem?

Yagharek

LovingSteam said:
Welp, lets outlaw hammers because people may use it as a murder weapon. Lets outlaw PCs since it can be used for identity theft and or technological warfare.

Did the point completely go over your head? I said nothing of the sort that could be construed as your shitty analogy.

I'll summarise since you obviously lack reading comprehension:

People should be able to use their consoles for whatever they want, so long as they are not pirating software

j-wood said:
But when it gets down to hacking a console, I think two things are going to happen.

2. In this case, people could write their own apps for the console. Who's to say someone doesn't write a virus to steal your PSN credit card info? That begins to affect every single PSN user out there.

I agree. A lot of people will just use it for piracy, but it could also be a chance for tinkerers to try and put their own games on the system as a challenge or in the same way that people used to mod PC games and release their own maps/game modes. You will always get the bad, but you can also get some really damn good stuff from it too.

j-wood said:
I agree with you on some points.

I think it was a stupid move for Sony to remove OtherOS. Really stupid.

If the console said you can install Linux, then you should totally be able to install linux and do what you want with it.

Do you pull numbers out of your ass for a living or is it just a side hobby? Care to back up this mythic 95% statistic?

j-wood

LovingSteam said:

No need to go to the extreme here. We aren't outlawing consoles, we are outlawing modifying your console in a way that was not intended for it to be used.

You are not supposed to write applications for a video game console people. That's why we have personal computers.

darkwing

j-wood said:

lol don't give them any ideas, although i think they would mess around with Trophies and online games first

Emitan

j-wood said:
You are not supposed to write applications for a video game console people. That's why we have personal computers.
:lol :lol :lol
Can you tell me where I can buy a PC that has a Cell processor in it? Or even a PowerPC anymore? You have such a limited worldview.

j-wood

LovingSteam said:
Do you pull numbers out of your ass for a living or is it just a side hobby? Care to back up this mythic 95% statistic?

I pull them out of my ass. Kind of like how you pulled the idea of outlawing hammers and computers out of yours.

j-wood said:
No need to go to the extreme here. We aren't outlawing consoles, we are outlawing modifying your console in a way that was not intended for it to be used.

What about all those Kinect hacks? You want to break the bad news about your "omnipotent" viewpoint of valid console uses?

darkwing

InsaneZero said:
They could potentially institute an online-restricted DRM scheme similar to Ubisoft's atrocious one, for example. It would a terrible idea, but there's not many other options now that the hardware-side's kaput.

Really, do you think that Sony's going to sit around and blindly hope that nobody abuses this because it's almost impossible to create a practical solution for this problem?

i don't see how they could form a practical solution to this problem, any app written is a legit one, even homemade online apps (they could just mask the software id so its reported legit to the PSN server)

Fusebox

Banned
LovingSteam said:

Probably not, considering that 98.39% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Barkley's Justice said:
didnt it take like 4 years for these knuckleheads to crack the ps3's security? not really sure that falls under "epic fail"

Keep in mind that you still can't do this on the 360, though, 5 years in.

The ps3 is now just like the PSP.

Sony can't do shit, but hear developers bitch, as they kick the sand. Most people will probably not use piracy as they've havn't yet.

It'll bring in a new wave of console sales for those piracy fans.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
j-wood said:

BRB, console death and PC gets pure Master Race status.

How about you stay the fuck out of my business of what I do with the $599 piece of hardware I OWN? Sony may have made it, but I own it now. It's my property to do what I want. There is people that are willing to spend $600 to put a fucking iPad into a blender, for fucks sake. Let's outlaw putting iPads into blenders!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
TheSeks said:
There is people that are willing to spend $600 to put a fucking iPad into a blender, for fucks sake. Let's outlaw putting iPads into blenders!
I hope that something like that never comes to pass.

Yagharek

j-wood said:
I pull them out of my ass. Kind of like how you pulled the idea of outlawing hammers and computers out of yours.

Not only that, he made a point against an argument he didnt even understand.

darkwing said:
i don't see how they could form a practical solution to this problem, any app written is a legit one, even homemade online apps (they could just mask the software id so its reported legit to the PSN server)

That's why it's far more likely that they'll come up with all sorts of impractical and inconvenient solutions in hopes that something will stick.

j-wood

Do you guys not understand that hacking a video game console affects EVERY single other console owner out there whether they hack it or not?

1. If pirating becomes huge, good-bye software. Just look at the PSP. Prime example.

2. Virus on your console? Major PSN problems.

3. Hey cheaters in online games! Nice to play with you.

4. Trophies? You mean you DON'T have a platinum on all the games you own?

I hope you guys enjoy your media center and I sincerely hope it was worth crippling the PS3 eco-system. Bravo.

darkwing

InsaneZero said:
That's why it's far more likely that they'll come up with all sorts of impractical and inconvenient solutions in hopes that something will stick.

lols i can't even think of any impractical and inconvenient solution, probably the only thing is to condemn old games in a new firmware :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
j-wood said:
Do you guys not understand that hacking a video game console affects EVERY single other console owner out there whether they hack it or not?

1. If pirating becomes huge, good-bye software. Just look at the PSP. Prime example.

I hope you guys enjoy your media center and I sincerely hope it was worth crippling the PS3 eco-system. Bravo.
I will so thanks for the well wishes!

j-wood said:

Don't be ridiculous. Xbox 360 has been hacked since 06 or 07 and people still say xbox live is the best experience out for online play and still gets a wealth of titles released for it.

:lol

LovingSteam said:
Oh cry me a river marie.

LovingSteam said:
Please, tell me what they wil do to folks who couldnt care less.

LovingSteam said:

LovingSteam said:

Wow!....Just reading some of this dude's replies, I wonder how many GAFers consider putting him on their Ignore lists on daily basis?:lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TheSeks said:
BRB, console death and PC gets pure Master Race status.

How about you stay the fuck out of my business of what I do with the $599 piece of hardware I OWN? Sony may have made it, but I own it now. It's my property to do what I want. There is people that are willing to spend $600 to put a fucking iPad into a blender, for fucks sake. Let's outlaw putting iPads into blenders!
Isn't it true in some places (America?) that you just buy a license to play on the console or some shit instead of owning the console? I remember there being some kinda hubbubub over it few years ago

j-wood said:

Point by point:

1. PS2? DS?
2. Wii viruses? Where are they?
3. PC games?
4. Who gives a crap?

Such is the price of a free society, dude. "You are outlawed from using x outside its original purpose" is the path of madness.

j-wood said:

Hey, Chicken Little, the sky is NOT falling.

j-wood

BoboBrazil said:
Don't be ridiculous. Xbox 360 has been hacked since 06 or 07 and people still say xbox live is the best experience out for online play and still gets a wealth of titles released for it.

The Xbox360 console hack doesn't let hackers create an app and then sign it to make it look like it officially came from Sony right?

Emitan

j-wood said:

1. The PSP has a lot of great software. Did piracy affect this? Yes. But it's not like the system was just dropped by everyone as soon as Dark Alex appeared.
2. Viruses? Seriously? Are Wiis and 360s getting viruses?
3. Cheating is rampant on Xbox Live.
4. Trophies are meaningless and if other people cheating to get them lessens your enjoyment, then I don't know how you ever played a video game before the Xbox 360.

BoboBrazil said:

I don't believe that the PS3 is "done for" or other such nonsense, but this is categorically different than hacking a 360 to play pirated games.

j-wood

Billychu said:
1. The PSP has a lot of great software. Did piracy affect this? Yes. But it's not like the system was just dropped by everyone as soon as Dark Alex appeared.
2. Viruses? Seriously? Are Wiis and 360s getting viruses?
3. Cheating is rampant on Xbox Live.
4. Trophies are meaningless and if other people cheating to get them lessens your enjoyment, then I don't know how you ever played a video game before the Xbox 360.

2. Did the hack on the Wii and 360 allow users to write officially signed applications?

4. Trophies could have played a role in the playstation rewards program. So much for that.

Kogepan

So quick questions.

If this was such an 'epic fail' and such a monstrous mistake, why did it take over four years to discover this weakness? (Or even about half a year after the initial jail break dongle).

Second, has this really been confirmed? Or is everyone satisfied that this is real basic on the bonafides of the release group?

Kogepan said:
So quick questions.

If this was such an 'epic fail' and such a monstrous mistake, why did it take over four years to discover this weakness? (Or even about half a year after the initial jail break dongle).

Second, has this really been confirmed? Or is everyone satisfied that this is real basic on the bonafides of the release group?

Based on the pedigree of the names involved, this is as legit as it gets.

j-wood

darkwing said:
i think this is a great tool for marketeers, create a mail app to spam mail to PSN users

Oh joy. Yet another marvelous benefit of hacking a video game console.

I mean look guys, I'm all for open source. I have an android phone and I hacked it to install a custom rom.

But this is categorically different and some of you here are just completely blind to it.

How long before we see someone write an app that lets them download stuff off the PSN store for free?

If this hack only led to people install Linux and using it as a media server, then it would be fine. I'd have no problem with it.

But you guys have to know, the vast majority of this isn't going to be for that. It's going to be used to pirate software and write apps for malicious content/cheating.

Look at bit torrent. I'm sure there are a handful of users out there that use that software legitimately. What does 99% of the world use it for?

Exactly.

Pctx

Banned
j-wood said:

1.) PSP is a bad example.
2.) What is the point of this? Unless it is stealing your credit card, it would just be for shits and giggles.
3.) Online gaming with strangers? Lulz.
4.) Who the F*** cares?

And my final point... Sony will obviously combat this with more frequent updates in which let's hope that "legit" PSN accounts end up winning out because of it. Anyways, I doubt this will make as big of an impact as people are claiming it will.

darkwing

Kogepan said:
So quick questions.

didn't they publish the keys yet? should be obvious next week with all the wonderful homebrew apps running on the PSN

darkwing

Pctx said:
1.) PSP is a bad example.
2.) What is the point of this? Unless it is stealing your credit card, it would just be for shits and giggles.
3.) Online gaming with strangers? Lulz.
4.) Who the F*** cares?

And my final point... Sony will obviously combat this with more frequent updates in which let's hope that "legit" PSN accounts end up winning out because of it. Anyways, I doubt this will make as big of an impact as people are claiming it will.

what updates? they can't update the private keys

hteng

Banned
will people end up with 2 PS3 consoles similarly to the 360 scene? one for legit gaming, the other for pirate/mediacenter/homebrew..etc.

i predict a 200% PS3 console sales boost for the coming year! yay for sony!

Top Bottom