• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

darkwing

hteng said:
will people end up with 2 PS3 consoles similarly to the 360 scene? one for legit gaming, the other for pirate/mediacenter/homebrew..etc.

i predict a 200% PS3 console sales boost for the coming year! yay for sony!

why buy 2 PS3s? any 'app' is a legit one

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
A fool and his console are soon parted...

If sony indeed returned a fixed number in place of a random number, then they deserve to be hacked.
However, I hope the guys (marcan et al) don't release the GameOS keys, releasing only the keys necessary to make linux work.

Risette

A Good Citizen
j-wood said:
Do you guys not understand that hacking a video game console affects EVERY single other console owner out there whether they hack it or not?

1. If pirating becomes huge, good-bye software. Just look at the PSP. Prime example.

2. Virus on your console? Major PSN problems.

3. Hey cheaters in online games! Nice to play with you.

4. Trophies? You mean you DON'T have a platinum on all the games you own?

I hope you guys enjoy your media center and I sincerely hope it was worth crippling the PS3 eco-system. Bravo.
1. Doubt piracy will become too big because of large filesizes. Of course there are games with a bunch of filler data or small games but those are usually multiplatform games that get pirated on other systems too.

2. Won't happen

3. I guess this is bad but Sony can still ban people

4. I really hope people cheat trophies so it will be easier for people to see how pointless trophies are

I'll enjoy my media center once people make one. If something at least half as good as XBMC ends up on PS3 it'll definitely be worth it!

Alts

I only care about this hack insofar as I am concerned about how Sony will approach the PS4. Region freedon, standard hard drive, usb, etc. I like these things. I like my consoles being more PC-ish. I hope they don't flip out and do a 180 for the PS4.

j-wood

Machado said:
j-wood... sony invester????

Nope. Just don't understand people and their ways of thinking.

Every action has a reaction.

Like the above poster said, I enjoy having a standard hard drive, did enjoy having a linux option, ect. So that hackers can feel good about themselves and enjoy some pointless features that can be had on a regular PC, other owners stand to suffer some consequences.

I bet you anything there will be major changes in the next playstation console.

onken

TheSeks said:
No, yours is "revisionist bullshit."

2009: Slims launched. OtherOS in Slims is GONE. AKA: Writings on the wall. Sony won't support Linux anymore.

Oh I see, so now it's because the slim never had Linux support! Revisionist. Bullshit. Nobody gave a shit that slim didn't support Linux, you always had the option of buying a fat. The outcry started only after support was removed from the fattys.

2010: Geohot.
2010 month later: Sony removes OtherOS from Phats. Thereby, perma-killing Linux. Before you could still use Linux on Phats in an unofficial capacity. Hackers get on board to get Linux restored, not just for the Phats. But for the Slims as well.

More bullshit. Some mod-chippers from Hong Kong took advantage of Geohot's exploit to try and sell overpriced modchips for piracy. It had nothing to do with "the scene" or Linux or revenge on Sony. No but of course I'm sure you're right, those HK mod-chippers were thinking about the potential money to be made and decided against it because otheros was still being supported and only went ahead after it was revoked because of REVENGE!!!11!

Emitan

j-wood said:
You don't understand why being able to write applications for the Cell processor is interesting? At all? Seriously?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Online play is the only thing I worry about. I hope they can mod and ban properly.

Everything else, I don't care, it's been 4 years, PS3 had a great run, let the pirates have a taste finally of those sweet PS3 exclusives.

Emitan

onken said:
Oh I see, so now it's because the slim never had Linux support! Revisionist. Bullshit. Nobody gave a shit that slim didn't support Linux, you always had the option of buying a fat. The outcry started only after support was removed from the fattys.
Yeah, because I'm sure it wasn't completely obvious Sony was removing all Linux capabilities. You're just making shit up.

Truespeed

sharath_kumar said:
A fool and his console are soon parted...

If sony indeed returned a fixed number in place of a random number, then they deserve to be hacked.
However, I hope the guys (marcan et al) don't release the GameOS keys, releasing only the keys necessary to make linux work.

I don't think it really matters whether they release the private keys or not. They've disclosed enough information for others to find and publish them.

j-wood

Billychu said:
You don't understand why being able to write applications for the Cell processor is interesting? At all? Seriously?

Yeah, it's interesting, but is it worth it? I don't think so.

Especially not after over the past 5 years on GAF, everyone has talked about how "weak" the cell is.

can people play newer games on this like GT5 for example? if the ps3 is so bustedthat it can play all games including new one like GT5 with no drawback like online etc. then PS3 is probably finished.

on psp and during jailbreak, Sony's effort is to add more feature to keep their user to stay legit. online feature like psn games, netflix, and new games are what Sony use to sway people from cfw or jailbreak. if all those stuff is available by just copy and pasting file to usb stick, then what can Sony offer to their user. nothing.

darkwing

too bad the Playstation Rewards never got the chance to go live, well i guess its a minor headache to Sony compared to whats going to happen later on

Pctx

Banned
darkwing said:
what updates? they can't update the private keys
Not talking about the hardware, talking about the software.

Playing pirated games, backups, whatever.... there will always be a market for that. It seems like from what I've read (and correct me if I'm wrong)--- the software on the hardware can be modified in a way in which PSN wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a "pirate" PSN user and a "legit" PSN user. What seems logical then would for Sony to push out new authentication to the PSN users using different keys in which effectively would squash people playing online with pirated boxes. I'm assuming (again... maybe I'm wrong) but isn't this what Microsoft has been doing for years now?

darkwing

Callibretto said:
can people play newer games on this like GT5 for example? if the ps3 is so bustedthat it can play all games including new one like GT5 with no drawback like online etc. then PS3 is probably finished.

on psp and during jailbreak, Sony's effort is to add more feature to keep their user to stay legit. online feature like psn games, netflix, and new games are what Sony use to sway people from cfw or jailbreak. if all those stuff is available by just copy and pasting file to usb stick, then what can Sony offer to their user. nothing.

with the private keys, any 'app' is legit, so yup it can play GT5 now and future ones using the private key

darkwing said:
with the private keys, any 'app' is legit, so yup it can play GT5 now and future ones using the private key

so any more product out for ps3 is like giving it away for free? might as well hold their current games in development and put it out for ps4 then.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Pctx said:
1.) PSP is a bad example.
2.) What is the point of this? Unless it is stealing your credit card, it would just be for shits and giggles.
3.) Online gaming with strangers? Lulz.
4.) Who the F*** cares?

And my final point... Sony will obviously combat this with more frequent updates in which let's hope that "legit" PSN accounts end up winning out because of it. Anyways, I doubt this will make as big of an impact as people are claiming it will.
Rampant cheating could affect sales, which would cause developers to put in even less effort into multiplatform titles. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Prezhulio

Billychu said:
Yeah, because I'm sure it wasn't completely obvious Sony was removing all Linux capabilities. You're just making shit up.

There's actually quotes from sony employees(uk blog iirc) explicitly saying they wouldn't take Linux away from the phats around the time of the slims release.

Give me My 10gb I lost from the Linux being deactivated without having to undergo a day long backup and restore, or any worthwhile feature in a firmware update for that matter Sony and I won't be so damn bitter about all your bs.

EricHasNoPull said:
:lol

Wow!....Just reading some of this dude's replies, I wonder how many GAFers consider putting him on their Ignore lists on daily basis?:lol
Hopefully you have already placed me on ignore, that way there is one less moron to reply to.

darkwing

Pctx said:
Not talking about the hardware, talking about the software.

Playing pirated games, backups, whatever.... there will always be a market for that. It seems like from what I've read (and correct me if I'm wrong)--- the software on the hardware can be modified in a way in which PSN wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a "pirate" PSN user and a "legit" PSN user. What seems logical then would for Sony to push out new authentication to the PSN users using different keys in which effectively would squash people playing online with pirated boxes. I'm assuming (again... maybe I'm wrong) but isn't this what Microsoft has been doing for years now?

you can't issue new private keys without rendering old games obsolete, well Sony can issue a recall, exchange old games with the same game but different private keys, but doubt it will happen

Pctx

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Rampant cheating could affect sales, which would cause developers to put in even less effort into multiplatform titles. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
So what you're saying is Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 on the PS3 is f'ed? Thank the lord.

Truespeed

androvsky said:
All I've seen are compile fixes. It wasn't in a usable state before Sony yanked linux, and I'd be shocked if that's changed. glgears ran, slowly. I don't think texture-mapping ever worked. I used to build MesaGL for the cell every couple of months to see how it was doing. I think they decided to concentrate on llvm for the Cell a long time ago (which is why the regular Cell driver was so dead), but the llvm Cell port isn't doing much better from what I can tell.

Last commit was on Dec 2, 2010.

Description: gallium: support for array textures and related changes
Files: 215
Lines: -2610/+2819

j-wood said:

Every action has a reaction.

Like the above poster said, I enjoy having a standard hard drive, did enjoy having a linux option, ect. So that hackers can feel good about themselves and enjoy some pointless features that can be had on a regular PC, other owners stand to suffer some consequences.

I bet you anything there will be major changes in the next playstation console.

Pretty much.

Homebrew is great, but not at the cost of piracy. Not in my opinion.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Callibretto said:
so any more product out for ps3 is like giving it away for free? might as well hold their current games in development and put it out for ps4 then.
What?

People do buy software, even on heavily pirated systems like DS.

j-wood

SapientWolf said:
Problem is, if that franchise (and others like it) are f'ed then so is the PS3.

It's OK though, the hackers have a new media server and a linux partition. It was worth it.

onken

Billychu said:
Yeah, because I'm sure it wasn't completely obvious Sony was removing all Linux capabilities..

I was very into the PS3 Linux scene at the time, I don't remember any kind of drama about it. This news piece is a very good example of the feeling at time.

Yes a shame, but there'd always be the fats. There were some minor concerns of future revocation on fats but they were quickly calmed after we were "assured" that it wouldn't happen (ho ho ho).

You're just making shit up

Oh really? And your evidence to the contrary is?

androvsky

Truespeed said:
Last commit was on Dec 2, 2010.

Description: gallium: support for array textures and related changes
Files: 215
Lines: -2610/+2819

What, this?

That's just a commit to add support for array textures in the basic gallium infrastructure, along with a bunch of various driver fixes, none of which is the Cell driver. If the individual drivers are busted, as the Cell one most likely is, adding support for a new type of texture that it still can't render isn't going to change anything.

But if you think the Cell driver is usable and you have a PS3 with OtherOS, go ahead and try to build it. I've done it a bunch on YDL so I can offer some help, including shortly before Sony yanked OtherOS.

hopefully this means i can recover the data on the HDD of my broken PS3 if it's not fixable. that's one thing i like about MS. my 360 broke 3 times, and it got fixed 3 times FOR FREE. Sony consoles have been dying since 1994 and their warranty service has been in the stone ages since then. Nintendo is better at warranty service too!

j-wood said:
It's OK though, the hackers have a new media server and a linux partition. It was worth it.
My console, i can do what i want with it. I dont pirate. I do enjoy using it to its full potential within the letter of the law.

CaLe

Just finished watching the videos and its amazing how Sony used a constant number in an algorithm that requires a random one.

Man, this is just sad beyond belief.

They seriously deserve what's going to happen to them.

LovingSteam said:
My console, i can do what i want with it. I dont pirate. I do enjoy using it to its full potential within the letter of the law.
You are free to enjoy it to it's potential, but I think it's funny you guys think it's worth it that things get broken open for homebrew at the cost of piracy.

You guys have to keep in mind, unlike the rest of the entertainment industry (TV, Movies, Music) VG's only have one source of revenue, and that's the consumer. There are no subscription services or live concerts that devs can do to make money.

Just refer to how much is pirated in the other gaf thread.

Seriously, half the shit you guys want you can do on PC. Others, I can completely understand, but shit like MKV support? Really? What for?

CaLe said:
Just finished watching the videos and its amazing how Sony used a constant number in an algorithm that requires a random one.

Sony isn't the one that's going to pay for this. You do realize that don't you? Oh wait, no you don't.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
CaLe said:

Why do they deserve it?
It's nice that it'll happen though.

I don't like how smug and proud those guys come off, like "yeah, we got you suckers!" but I respect their ability.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
InsaneZero said:
Come now, this discovery is an absolute embarrassment to Sony. If they didn't do some kind of wide-sweeping act as a gesture of stopping the breach from doing much harm, they would lose face with their shareholders.
Sony is a large company with many parts to it, it is unlikely anyone will even bring up the piracy situation for the PS3. And Sony can even spin it in the event someone does asks about how long it took to crack compared to other systems.

It is a pretty funny security flaw though, I bet you they had some bug with the RNG causing software to get flagged as not official, someone put in the static number as a quick fix (Or the fix) so they could continue their testing, and they forgot all about it.

CaLe

dallow_bg said:
Why do they deserve it?
It's nice that it'll happen though.

I don't like how smug and proud those guys come off, like "yeah, we got you suckers!" but I respect their ability.

Because from a security standpoint, they basically engineered the console to be exploitable.

A mistake of this magnitude is simply pathetic and an embarrassment on the global scale.

CaLe said:
Because from a security standpoint, they basically engineered the console to be exploitable.

A mistake of this magnitude is simply pathetic.

So someone forgot to lock their door at night, they deserve to get robbed? Fucking grade A logic. Flawless.

CaLe

phosphor112 said:
So someone forgot to lock their door at night, they deserve to get robbed? Fucking grade A logic. Flawless.

No, it's like saying your purchased an alarm system that cost millions, but you forgot to turn it on and then complain you got robbed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
CaLe said:

A mistake of this magnitude is simply pathetic and an embarrassment on the global scale.
Kind of perverse logic no?
Say the launch codes were accidentally leaked because a security error, nukes in question deserve to be launched?

I know, crazy talk, but just curious.
No, it's like saying your purchased an alarm system that cost millions, but you forgot to turn it on and then complain you got robbed.
So this person deserves to be robbed then?

EDIT: Beaten.

CaLe said:

So that said person deserves getting robbed because they forgot to alarm it? Once again, flawless logic.

phosphor112 said:
You are free to enjoy it to it's potential, but I think it's funny you guys think it's worth it that things get broken open for homebrew at the cost of piracy.

You guys have to keep in mind, unlike the rest of the entertainment industry (TV, Movies, Music) VG's only have one source of revenue, and that's the consumer. There are no subscription services or live concerts that devs can do to make money.

Seriously, half the shit you guys want you can do on PC. Others, I can completely understand, but shit like MKV support? Really? What for?

For me, it truly is about the enjoyment of seeing the developments and what others can do and even following a long myself. I did it with the Wii even though I never really use the system. I did it with the PSP even though I wasn't interested in 99% of the games the system has to offer. For the PS3, I use Goozex and buy games retail. I truly just love to see what the community can and does end up doing.

People will use the tools that the community comes up with and either use it for good or bad but that doesn't mean that the tools themselves should be kept secret. Each individual must decide what he or she will do. There is a demand for people to use their console to the fullest potential and for many folks, that is what its about in the purest sense. That is why I brought up the hammer analogy. Just because a lot of folks may use something for illegal means doesn't mean that the item/service/application itself should be withheld from those who won't be using it for such reasons.

When I paid $599 + tax for my PS3, it became MINE. If I want to blow it up in a safe environment, that is my choice. If I want to use the parts for research, that too is my choice. If I want to install applications that CAN be used for piracy but need not be used for it, that is my choice. My allegiance isn't to Sony. I am not an investor nor an employee. I am a private citizen who purchased a product that Sony produced. The retailer received my money as did Sony. After that, all bets are off.

LovingSteam said:
Hopefully you have already placed me on ignore, that way there is one less moron to reply to.
Put you on my Ignore list??:lol :lol

Are you kidding me dude? who's gonna entertain me with hilarious posts on Gaf then?

j-wood

phosphor112 said:

Sony isn't the one that's going to pay for this. You do realize that don't you? Oh wait, no you don't.

You sir, understand what I have been trying to say in this thread

CaLe

phosphor112 said:
So that said person deserves getting robbed because they forgot to alarm it? Once again, flawless logic.

We could go on and on, but I prefer not to as this thread will degenerate into a back-and-forth with no purpose.

Simply put, if you're a multi-million company and you make a mistake this obscene, you should be ashamed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
CaLe said:
We could go on and on, but I prefer not as this thread will degenerate into a back-and-forth with no purpose.

Simply put, if you're a multi-million company and you make a mistake this obscene, you *deserve* to be ashamed.
Perverse logic confirmed. :)

EricHasNoPull said:
Put you on my Ignore list??:lol :lol

Are you kidding me dude? who's gonna entertain me with hilarious posts on Gaf then?

Well, we both agree that the other is a class-A moron who was sent here by the gods of GAF to entertain us. Fantastic.

Truespeed

androvsky said:
What, this?

That's just a commit to add support for array textures in the basic gallium infrastructure, along with a bunch of various driver fixes, none of which is the Cell driver. If the individual drivers are busted, as the Cell one most likely is, adding support for a new type of texture that it still can't render isn't going to change anything.

But if you think the Cell driver is usable and you have a PS3 with OtherOS, go ahead and try to build it. I've done it a bunch on YDL so I can offer some help, including shortly before Sony yanked OtherOS.

You're right, the array textures change did touch a lot of files and the changes to the source, in the Cell driver folder, were all related to adding array texture support, but at least the source is still being maintained. My intent was to just point out that there is some activity beyond the occasional bug fix here and there.

Zoe

CaLe said:
We could go on and on, but I prefer not to as this thread will degenerate into a back-and-forth with no purpose.

Simply put, if you're a multi-million company and you make a mistake this obscene, you should be ashamed.

Sony aren't the ones who will be paying for this.

CaLe

dallow_bg said:
Perverse logic confirmed. :)

You can confirm whatever you want, I have my opinion and you have yours.

I believe that yes, if you voluntarily let your door opened at night in a shady neighborhood and you get robbed, you got what you asked for.

edit: And if we go back to the exploit, there's no way Sony could mistake a random number for a constant. They just never thought that anyone would notice it.

Top Bottom