• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
e79c5fafdd.png

Dreamy. Let me keep perusing his instagram.

zeemumu

Ugh when people call me Pauline.

"It's Paulina, actually."
"I'll just call you Paul then."

Umm no. I'm not a guy. Call me Paulina or Pau. Don't give me a name from another fucking language because I don't look Latina.

Have people every kidnapped you and thrown barrels at your boyfriend?

FUME5

Umm no. I'm not a guy. Call me Paulina or Pau. Don't give me a name from another fucking language because I don't look Latina.

Sure thing Steve.

Misha

Banned

do you get annoyed if they pronounce it paul-ina vs pau-lina?

Jobbs

Banned
Can anyone explain to me wtf these weirdo ASMR videos are all about? They're pretty popular on youtube.

Talking about the videos where people whisper and make various noises with objects and/or roleplay performing mundane tasks.

It's oddly captivating just because of how strange it is (and in some cases the person is attractive, which I suspect is a big part of it for many people) but I don't really understand at all the "ASMR" aspect.

Vazra

Can anyone explain to me wtf these weirdo ASMR videos are all about? They're pretty popular on youtube.

Talking about the videos where people whisper and make various noises with objects and/or roleplay performing mundane tasks.

It's oddly captivating just because of how strange it is (and in some cases the person is attractive, which I suspect is a big part of it for many people) but I don't really understand at all the "ASMR" aspect.
pika pika pika pika

FUME5

Some people get a pleasant sensation from certain sounds (like when you get that tingling wave run through from a song you really dig) so I guess those videos cater to them.

No but guerillas kidnapped my dad. :p I don't think barrel throwing was involved though.

Judging from that emoticon they eventually released him? Story time yo.

zeemumu

It's funny that you bring this up. I've been listening to one teaching me french for the past hour. It's also how I learned the basics of MTG.

It's about getting brain stimulation from certain sounds. For a non-creepy example: imagine someone who likes the sound of rain hitting the roof, or the sound of a stream in a forest. It's basically that, but for a wider array of sounds. Some common ones are tapping, brushing, ear whispering, etc.

Mine usually involves someone writing stuff down with a pencil. I just like the sound *shrug*

Unless he was okay in the end. Pau was he okay in the end?

Jobbs

Banned
Then it's either not your thing or whispering isn't your trigger. Try something with no whispering.

I found one where a girl is pretending to be a nurse and I'm an invalid or something and she's taking care of me. This one is more my speed.

I would agree with you but there is this movie called Big Fish which is actually one of my favorites that he made

barf.com/nothanks/yuck.htm

Misha

Banned
A little. :p I just find the English pronunciation rather ugly so I just prefer to go by Pau.

I had a friend who's mother was Paulina. he actually went by Andre though cause people couldn't remember Andrés

do you dislike when people who are native English speakers try to do the Spanish pronunciations of things? I've never been sure about how people would like that but I tend to do it for some things accidently anyway since I spent a good bit of time around my Chilean, Argentinian, and Mexican friends

Jobbs

Banned
I had a friend who's mother was Paulina. he actually went by Andre though cause people couldn't remember Andrés

do you dislike when people who are native English speakers try to do the Spanish pronunciations of things? I've never been sure about how people would like that but I tend to do it for some things accidently anyway since I spent a good bit of time around my Chilean, Argentinian, and Mexican friends

I'm sure Pau will have an answer, but I think if it's a good faith effort no one will be offended. It shows you care enough to try and get it right.. right?

Pau

Is that funny or horrible?
More on the horrible side but he was released. My dad is very easy going and funny, so he jokes about it a lot. I thought the gorrilla/guerrilla word play might work...
Some people get a pleasant sensation from certain sounds (like when you get that tingling wave run through from a song you really dig) so I guess those videos cater to them.

Judging from that emoticon they eventually released him? Story time yo.
Yes, they did. He was kidnapped when I was about one. Chained to a tree in the Colombian jungle for six months for ransom money.

He really wants me to publish his story but I've gotten some really bad reactions because it was a communist group who did the kidnapping and thus my dad deserved it, is a rich psychopath/liar, etc. I fear subjecting him and myself to such comments. We can joke about it in the family but the trauma was (and still is) very much a part of our lives. Once people start saying things like that it really fucking hurts.

Misha

Banned
I'm sure Pau will have an answer, but I think if it's a good faith effort no one will be offended. It shows you care enough to try and get it right.. right?

offended isn't quite what i'm looking for :p

is it cringey or annoying or just pointless is more what i'm asking

Pau

That's my dad's name actually! :3

I don't mind at all if native English speakers try to do the Spanish pronunciations. I prefer people trying than being like: "I don't care how it's actually pronounced so I'm just gonna say whatever." If you try and it just isn't working out, no biggie.

Chilean, Argentinian, and Mexican. Very different accents. That must be fun! :eek:

FUME5

More on the horrible side but he was released. My dad is very easy going and funny, so he jokes about it a lot. I thought the gorrilla/guerrilla word play might work...

Yes, they did. He was kidnapped when I was about one. Chained to a tree in the Colombian jungle for six months for ransom money.

He really wants me to publish his story but I've gotten some really bad reactions because it was a communist group who did the kidnapping and thus my dad deserved it, is a rich psychopath/liar, etc. I fear subjecting him and myself to such comments. We can joke about it in the family but the trauma was (and still is) very much a part of our lives. Once people start saying things like that it really fucking hurts.

Damn, that is several different types of bullshit right there.

Your father is a strong man to get through that and be able to joke about it.

Misha

Banned
That's my dad's name actually! :3

I don't mind at all if native English speakers try to do the Spanish pronunciations. I prefer people trying than being like: "I don't care how it's actually pronounced so I'm just gonna say whatever." If you try and it just isn't working out, no biggie.

Chilean, Argentinian, and Mexican. Very different accents. That must be fun! :eek:
its a good name

that makes sense. the only thing that I completely bomb on is rolling my r's but I've gotten a bit better than I used to be

I actually couldn't tell the difference between the accents since I just got used to all of them. apparently when I was learning Spanish I picked up the Argentinian accent. not sure if I still have it

Pau

Damn, that is several different types of bullshit right there.

Your father is a strong man to get through that and be able to joke about it.
Yeah, he is. <3

its a good name

that makes sense. the only thing that I completely bomb on is rolling my r's but I've gotten a bit better than I used to be

I actually couldn't tell the difference between the accents since I just got used to all of them. apparently when I was learning Spanish I picked up the Argentinian accent. not sure if I still have it
That's interesting. :eek: Argentinian accents are one of the most noticeable for non-native speakers, I think. Particularly because of how they pronounce the y and ll sounds. My accent pronounces those two differently than the majority as well, but we do a j sound instead of the Argentinian ch/sh one.

Vazra

Just that I thought you didn't like me anymore or something!

It doesn't bother me. I don't think I can be made unstraight though :(

Lol I was a bit bothered but time has passed. And I dont need you to be unstraight. Just make sure to keep the d straight for me.

Misha

Banned
Yeah, he is. <3

That's interesting. :eek: Argentinian accents are one of the most noticeable for non-native speakers, I think. Particularly because of how they pronounce the y and ll sounds. My accent pronounces those two differently than the majority as well, but we do a j sound instead of the Argentinian ch/sh one.

how is it different? that might explain why my Spanish class in school kept marking me wrong for lls and ys

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Because Argies sound like Italians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom