• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Book 4: A Game of Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevyt

tumblr_ndyxqjlv6B1txbdydo1_500.gif

tumblr_ndyxqjlv6B1txbdydo2_500.gif

tumblr_ndyxqjlv6B1txbdydo3_500.gif

tumblr_ndyxqjlv6B1txbdydo4_500.gif

tumblr_ndyxqjlv6B1txbdydo5_500.gif

tumblr_ndyxqjlv6B1txbdydo6_500.gif

The difference being Troy Baker is enjoyable where as Nicolas Cage is not.

I just don't like the Cage. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I agree.

Turin

Banned
Batman has become as stale and overplayed on the internet as zombies have. Like...why? Why have people latched on to the character?

There's probably a number of reasons but I'd say it boils down to him being relatable to a large number of people, even non-nerds.

The same could probably be said for Jesus.

zeemumu

Started the 300 mile drive to go see my best friend, got 2/3 of the way there, found out she's actually back where I live visiting for a few days. I don't know whether to start cursing in my car or cry.

Well, time to turn around and go home

Kevyt

Started the 300 mile drive to go see my best friend, got 2/3 of the way there, found out she's actually back where I live visiting for a few days. I don't know whether to start cursing in my car or cry.

Well, time to turn around and go home

Hmmm, is is the same friend you bought her a nightmare before Christmas thingy?

I enjoyed it. Did get a bit worn out of the shooting towards the end, but the general plot intrigue was enough to keep me going. Also levitation + levitation chaining + death electricity was maybe a bit OP so it wasn't particularly frustrating to get through.

And I always like being left in a state of "The fuck just happened" at the end of a story >_>

zeemumu

I drove for about 10 straight hours today with 1 restroom/lunch break. I've seen every ecosystem and weather pattern physically possible in California in one day. I went from rainy city, to sunny beaches and hills, to rainy hills and orchards, to rainy desert, to snowing mountains, back to rainy city. It's been...a day.

This isn't on Facebook because I don't want to make my friend think that she made me go through a lot just for her and I don't want her to feel bad. None of my friends are aware of this place which is why I can post here.
Ohhh. You're a really good friend. I want friends like that, lol.
People keep telling me that.

Kevyt

I drove for about 10 straight hours today with 1 restroom/lunch break. I've seen every ecosystem and weather pattern physically possible in California in one day. I went from rainy city, to sunny beaches and hills, to rainy hills and orchards, to rainy desert, to snowing mountains, back to rainy city. It's been...a day.

This isn't on Facebook because I don't want to make my friend think that she made me go through a lot just for her and I don't want her to feel bad. None of my friends are aware of this place which is why I can post here.

People keep telling me that.

And... you don't feel like they reciprocate?

zeemumu

And... you don't feel like they reciprocate?

I wouldn't know if my definition of a good friend is dramatically over-fantasized or if I should expect more from them. They seem to think that I should expect more from them but I wouldn't know what else to expect. Regardless, it was a nice drive and we did get to hang out and watch movies so that's a plus.

Zee, you seem like an awesome person. Just sayin.

Eh, I could stand to learn to get over a few issues, but I appreciate the compliment

Nerdkiller

Membeur
GODDAMN! This post was just written in the "Sam Raimi hates Spiderman 3" thread after some guy in the thread becomes utterly baffled as to why people hate the Amazing Spiderman movies. And here's why.

I could elaborate but there are only 24 hours in a day. But just for the sake of brevity, how about talking about the central relationship of the film, Gwen and Peter?

The entire point of ASM2 is to kill Gwen.
This is the only thing of dramatic interest or importance in the entire story. It's the only tangible change anyone goes through, it's the only event of note in any of the characters' lives, and it's the only thematic element the script even vaguely attempts to explore in any way.

So why is it at the end of the movie?

There's literally nothing else for Gwen and Peter to do for the entire film. So they spend the whole running time breaking up, then getting back together, then breaking up, then getting back together in a continuous string of Meet Cute scenes that are so Screenwriting 101 it's embarrassing. The filmmakers are lucky Garfield and Stone have natural onscreen chemistry or you'd have some scenes that would compare unfavorably to Anakin and Padme in this movie, but I digress. The point is,
the characters are just tapdancing to fill time until the movie can kill Gwen. But for some reason the movie thinks that Gwen's death is the climax of the story. It's not.

The climax of the story is Spider-Man embracing his role as Spider-Man independent of his personal tragedies. It's Peter fully embodying the "responsibility" part of "with great power comes great responsibility."
He should have learned this lesson in the execrable first film, but Roberto Orci, arguably the worst screenwriter working in Hollywood today, instead has him break his promise to a dying man regarding said dying man's daughter,
a promise based on a request by the dying man that turns out to be 100% correct, as ignoring the promise leads directly to Gwen's death in ASM2. So what's actually happened here is that Spider-Man, our hero, is an irresponsible and selfish asshole who doesn't act heroically for all of ASM2's runtime, and gets someone killed as a result, despite how many ways the script tries to bend over backwards to absolve him of responsibility.
The moment when Spider-Man finally starts acting like a damn hero is when he tags in for the little kid and fights Rhino. You know, the scene the film spends barely a minute on and cuts off halfway into to run the credits. So what should have happened here? Well, it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows story structure:
Gwen should have died in Act 2 of the film, and the final act should have been about Peter dealing with the loss, possibly acting in revenge or fury as a result of it, and finally coming to terms with it and fully becoming the Spider-Man character in all his glory. Instead we get a sulking montage as the film rushes to end following Gwen's death, as it doesn't actually know how to make its characters interesting, and is oddly terrified of showing us Peter's emotional life in any concrete fashion, being much more preoccupied with making him seem "cool" whenever possible.

So that's a 100% fatal error on the script level. Right there your movie is dead in the water, because you didn't actually know what your own story was about. Forget how stupid the Osborn genetic disease that is triggered by being told about it is, or how Peter suddenly remembers he totally hung out at the Osborn place as a kid, or how Orci once again inserts really weird 9/11 Truther subtexts everywhere, or how Jamie Foxx's character is just Jim Carrey's Riddler meshed with Schwarzenegger's Freeze but with even less motivation, or how the entire Peter's parents subplot is the biggest dead-end in comic book movie history, or how limiting Spidey's villains to all have Osborn tech origins is writing yourself into a corner before you even begin, or any of the myriad other ridiculous and terrible things in the film. All of that doesn't matter one bit in comparison to the fact that the script has no clue how to tell the Peter/Gwen story in a way that properly exploits the dramatic potential that's right there waiting to be unleashed.
It has no idea how to construct that character arc because it's too focused on the "OMG SHE DIEDED!" shocker and not paying one whit of attention to why it's shocking: The impact it would have on Peter, a kid who has already lost his uncle to his own negligence and has now directly caused the death of the girl he loves, even after he promised her mortally wounded father (wounded assisting Peter, no less) not to involve her. This is a crushing emotional wound that would incapacitate many people, and ASM2 glosses over it like they just broke up again for the fourth time.

It's completely inept storytelling. Even if the villains had been great (they weren't) and even if the B and C plots were competently told (they aren't), ASM2 would have been sunk under the weight of its own rotten core, the utterly mishandled Peter/Gwen story. Sony isn't running around trying to get Marvel to take this property over for fun, here. The entire industry saw these problems in the film right alongside the audiences, and the president of Marvel pointed them out in an email two years before the film's release.

tl;dr - ASM2 is a terrible film, and while I'm certainly not going to tell anyone not to like it, if you do like it, you like a shitty movie.
I covered up the other bits because spoiling them outside a Spiderman thread would be impolite.

Toa TAK

Banned
GODDAMN! This post was just written in the "Sam Raimi hates Spiderman 3" thread after some guy in the thread becomes utterly baffled as to why people hate the Amazing Spiderman movies. And here's why.

I covered up the other bits because spoiling them outside a Spiderman thread would be impolite.

Spoil them anyways. No one deserves the torture of seeing a worse SM movie that is SM3.

Windam

Scaley member
We should probably keep the wierdness in fake, lol.

Pretty sure 90% of the weirdness left with me. Or that could've been thirst.

Probably both.

I don't think anyone in my family would do that for me, much less my friends.

Kater

Banned
Hi FakeGAFfers, it's a new year in two hours here. What are you all doing?

I got really drunk at the bar. :p
Flirted with the guy behind the bar but no luck, noooo. I was sure he was into me, but maybe not.

Kevyt

Hi FakeGAFfers, it's a new year in two hours here. What are you all doing?

I got really drunk at the bar. :p
Flirted with the guy behind the bar but no luck, noooo. I was sure he was into me, but maybe not.

Did you give him the look at least?

And Hello Fake Gaffers, what are you guys having fpr dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom