• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - High Resolution Texture Pack is out.

Ahasverus

It's a shame that only Bethesda makes Bethesda games. It's kind of a bad company with a great formula. This "patch" seems like a practical joke.

Shredderi

It's a shame that only Bethesda makes Bethesda games. It's kind of a bad company with a great formula. This "patch" seems like a practical joke.

Gotta say I agree with you. We saw with New Vegas what happened when a non-bethesda studio did a Bethesda game and it was marvelous. Need more of that. But yeah Bethesda's brand of open world game is pretty much non-existant outside of Bethesda and it's a shame because they as a company are not that good anymore. There is enjoyment and novelty to be had in their games but they are not top tier devs. No one else just does what they do so if you want something like that you must and will buy their games.

ISee

Gotta say I agree with you. We saw with New Vegas what happened when a non-bethesda studio did a Bethesda game and it was marvelous. Need more of that. But yeah Bethesda's brand of open world game is pretty much non-existant outside of Bethesda and it's a shame because they as a company are not that good anymore. There is enjoyment and novelty to be had in their games but they are not top tier devs. No one else just does what they do so if you want something like that you must and will buy their games.

The same goes for KOTOR 2. A bioware game developed by a non-bioware studio (rushed and buggy release aside).

Btw it was Obsidian, both times. Maybe we should just wish for AAA Obsidian rpgs.

terrible

Banned
More comparisons for those interested -

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/199814

(thanks therealminime for pointing this site out)

Not sure what was going on in the the rainy shot.

Comparison #7 is the only one that shows an obvious improvement to me. The texture on the side of the counter is clearly higher quality as is the lattice texture. The toaster looks noticeably better too.

No chance am I going to bother downloading this pack.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I have no data cap and just bought a 1tb ssd last week so I thought I'd download this ... for science.

What I can say is this. Everything looks much more crisp when you stick your face in it. And that's about it.

Vanilla with these textures runs about the same as my heavily modded build (about 55 fps average with dips down to 40), however, in all areas EXCEPT instances where I'm within half a meter of an object the modded version looks better. In my opinion. I have a custom ENB preset and a lot of lighting and textures mods too.

For reference, I run an i7-6700 and an ASUS 1070 8gb with 16gb of RAM at 1440p and maintain a locked 55 fps with these textures.

Schlorgan

The same goes for KOTOR 2. A bioware game developed by a non-bioware studio (rushed and buggy release aside).

Btw it was Obsidian, both times. Maybe we should just wish for AAA Obsidian rpgs.
All of Obsidians AAA RPG's have been pretty buggy and broken (New Vegas especially).

DarkestHour

Banned
I've played it some more and I will agree for 50+GB this is sad. There is an improvement but not 50GB worth. Also, it seems like the DOF has changed for the better. I don't remember noticing this in the beta patch and only noticed after the texture change.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/5si616/fo4_technical_details_about_the_hd_dlc/

Here's a Google Sheet with all texture files with vanilla and the HD DLC in separate sheets:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z4C63i1binKPhZ_GyZ9bY-n1VB9bU07n83ql83X-fAg/
Random facts:
- Cubemaps, effects and head textures haven't been touched.
- There are many duplicate files that greatly increase the download size by around 10 GB, there's a list of them in the sheet.
- Duplicate means the file size, dimensions and format are the same.
- Almost all BC5 (normal/specular) and BC3 (diffuse with alpha) are included.
- Only a little more than half of BC1 (diffuse without alpha) textures are included.
Number of texture files?
- Vanilla: 40963
- HD DLC: 36623
- Excluded from the HD DLC: 4688
- Identical duplicates in the HD DLC: 22414
What percentage of dimensions are 512x512?
- Vanilla: 52.91%
- HD DLC: 47.71%
What percentage of dimensions are 1024x1024?
- Vanilla: 32.58%
- HD DLC: 10.54%
What percentage of dimensions are 2048x2048?
- Vanilla: 6.22%
- HD DLC: 28.46%
What percentage of dimensions are 4096x4096?
- Vanilla: 0.06%
- HD DLC: 5.10%
Distribution of the texture format?
Vanilla:
- BC1: 13628
- BC2: 2
- BC3: 15685
- BC5: 11314
- BC7: 1
- R8: 2
- B8G8R8A8: 330
HD DLC:
- BC1: 9642
- BC2: 2
- BC3: 15638
- BC5: 11054
- BC7: 1
- R8: 2
- B8G8R8A8: 283

TitusTroy

how is this game overall in terms of gameplay?...I keep hearing bad things or nothing at all which is a bad thing for a Fallout game...is it that bad?

RedSwirl

Witcher 3 is what made me realize this.

Witcher 3 is very different from Bethesda games, but the systemic nature of the open world which hosts it has some fundamental similarities. Sometimes it feels like Skyrim if Skyrim's landscape was more realistically proportioned. Playing Witcher 3 put me in the mood to try to find another medieval-themed sandbox simulation game, but not Skyrim because Witcher 3 has made it feel small and dated.

I'll probably check out Mount & Blade if I ever have the time, maybe Darklands, and I looked at Betrayal at Krondor for a bit. The game I'm really waiting for though is Kingdom Come: Deliverance. That game looks like it's going for the same basic systems as Elder Scrolls but in an actual historical setting.

Hobbes211

how is this game overall in terms of gameplay?...I keep hearing bad things or nothing at all which is a bad thing for a Fallout game...is it that bad?

I mean, it's as fun as any other open world Bethesda game. Basically, ignore the cringe worth canon destroying story and enjoy the exploration and, for what its worth, the minimal settlement building mechanics. If you like walking around shooting things, then it's a fun game. I, for example, particularly enjoy the beginning of these games when there's actually a challenge to it - where you struggle to find ammunition, have low HP, and small groups of dogs might actually kill you.

If you, like me, hold Fallout dear to your heart from your early gaming days, do everything you can to ignore the story. Bethesda has turned the Brotherhood of Steel into SEMPER INVICTA COD bros. It was actually annoying enough that I sided with destroying them when I played.

TitusTroy

the High Resolution Texture Pack just downloaded as a Steam update for me...so I guess you don't need to manually install the Texture Pack separately

Tovarisc

Can't say I'm surprised that Bethesda made people download 60GB for basically nothing. People need uninstall this and get proper texture packs from Nexus.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I've tried to get into this a few times but it's incredibly dry, IMO. Even the setting just seems too barren. I mean, I know it's a wasteland and all that but it just feels a bit dated, dull and drab, which affects my enjoyment. The gunplay can be kinda fun, though.

Abhor

As expected the "high resolution" pack is a complete joke. There are already plenty of actual high quality textures available on nexusmods's FO4 page.

Bethesda gonna Bethesda

"Loveletter" my ass

Top Bottom