• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - High Resolution Texture Pack is out.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm will check this out with my 1080!

OK this is kinda moronic according to steam my fallout 4 has an update which is 54.8gbs and is obviously these fancy smancy textures. Now I don't have 60 odd gbs to waste on an update that consists of nothing but fancy textures I can't even run on my aging PC.

It would have been nice if Bethesda or Valve could've released this in the form of free dlc rather than a bloody mandatory patch that just sits there blinking at me moaning about disc space.
its not mandatory. it is free dlc. you have to click download to get it. you can check in steam to not install it of you accidentally clicked on download.

Izuna

Banned
Looks... underwhelming

Remember when Carmack was saying that the uncompressed textures in rage weren't worth it?

Geedorah

OK this is kinda moronic according to steam my fallout 4 has an update which is 54.8gbs and is obviously these fancy smancy textures. Now I don't have 60 odd gbs to waste on an update that consists of nothing but fancy textures I can't even run on my aging PC.

It would have been nice if Bethesda or Valve could've released this in the form of free dlc rather than a bloody mandatory patch that just sits there blinking at me moaning about disc space.

Isn't that literally exactly what they did? Can't you opt in/out of the Hi-res pack at any time...

its not mandatory. it is free dlc. you have to click download to get it. you can check in steam to not install it of you accidentally clicked on download.

Ah it had an 83.6mb mandatory update lurking in amongst the gigabytes of meh. I went into the dlc options and unticked it. God knows how it got ticked I have no interest in 4k textures.

oh man i forgot how ugly fallout 4 looked in screenshots. I remember thinking it looked okay in motion, but Jesus does this highlight the Bethesda jank and questionable modeling (and lack of consistency while we're at it).

Some of these look pretty bad too - the detail and fidelity added looks fairly minor, and frequently like they just sharpened the hell out of an existing base texture.

Scarecrow

When I go to the steam page and click download, it wants to launch the game. It doesn't download the file. Is there something I'm missing?

DarkestHour

Banned
I have a GTX980 and am easily able to still maintain 60+ FPS at 1440P. This pack did lower my frame rate though as I usually sit between 80 and 100 but now only 60-80.

I noticed a difference immediately as everything is more clear. These aren't super high res textures but the blurriness of the original textures is gone and things look much better to me.

The file size is ridiculous though. Goodbye Comcast data cap.

The Vivid landscapes mod does an awesome job of replacing the vanilla textures of the game IMO. This is from Sanctuary, looks miles better than the screenshots of the ground area of Sanctuary in the high res pack

See this is what i have installed atm.
The vivid mods for all landscapes.
Water included.
And its the largest one.
This official one reminds me of skyrims where sure its there but already existing mods blow it away.

GavinUK86

lol good luck pointing out which shots are using the high resolution textures and which aren't.
01_nohd4qo4p.jpg
01_hd9bpnc.jpg

no cheating by looking at the filenames

i tried to replicate scenes as close as possible.

is it worth the extra 50gb? nope. it's no good on a 970 either, which should be obvious anyway but i wanted to see for myself.

See this is what i have installed atm.
The vivid mods for all landscapes.
Water included.
And its the largest one.
This official one reminds me of skyrims where sure its there but already existing mods blow it away.

Yeah plus the vivid textures are more efficient than vanilla so the game plays better. I've not even messed around with ENBs for it yet but a few clicks and it looks much better than vanilla. Just a pity the game never clicked with me. I'd love to get NV looking better than modded FO4. Much prefer it.

Wouldn't you be better off in downloading some high res texture packs mods? I doubt they'll be anywhere as big and probably look better.

Tagyhag

Wouldn't you be better off in downloading some high res texture packs mods? I doubt they'll be anywhere as big and probably look better.

Definitely.

I can see the difference that the pack makes but it's not worth the size at all. Mods will be better.

Drain You

My gaming PC has fallen by the wayside these past couple years so it's not like I could run this anyways, but I really expected something more. These screens are obviously much better than what I'm used to seeing on my One, but its not leaps and bounds better than what I've been seeing on high end rigs since the game came out.

going off the screens posted so far what the fuck did Beth even do?

Like, there's mods that do better work and have been out for a long time.

Head.spawn

I dunno. The few pictures I'm seeing where it looks like a difference; it looks like there is DOF differences (between the shots) that have actually changed things as opposed to textures.

ISee

going off the screens posted so far what the fuck did Beth even do?

Like, there's mods that do better work and have been out for a long time.

Probably just uploaded uncompressed textures.
*sigh*

I dunno. The few pictures I'm seeing where it looks like a difference; it looks like there is DOF differences (between the shots) that have actually changed things as opposed to textures.

There definitely is a small difference (hint:lamppost), but it is very underwhelming. The file size and new system requirements are exaggerated. Seriously why the 6c/12t i7? A 1080 makes at least some sort of sense (for 4k)

Vanilla_Textures

HD_Textures

120v

i was happy with how the vanilla game looked at 1440. normally i'd download just for shits but i don't know if i can even bother with this one, because file size obvs but also i don't plan on going back to the game any time soon

maybe when 1080ti rolls around...

Shredderi

I wonder if the staff at bethesda is like "oh fuuck it really is a shitty upgrade for the performance and HD space shit", or are they sincerely congratulating themselves over this? Why can modders always do these texture packs way better than them? It's not like "of course a texture mod made 7 years after the release is gonna look better" either, these things gets done pretty quick after the games release. I didn't like the game and it is in the top 5 biggest video game disappointments of all time for me so I'm naturally down on the game but damn.

Is there a chance that this pack may get released on PS4 PRO even with slightly toned donw version and staying at 1080p (no need to run this in higher resolution)?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i forgot how dated this engine was and how awful it looks.
still angry that i bought it on my xbox one day 1

Backlogger

lol good luck pointing out which shots are using the high resolution textures and which aren't.

no cheating by looking at the filenames

i tried to replicate scenes as close as possible.

is it worth the extra 50gb? nope. it's no good on a 970 either, which should be obvious anyway but i wanted to see for myself.

I can tell a huge difference

Vitacat

I'm not seeing any obvious difference.

Granted, haven't played the game in a while. The pack is definitely installed, says so in FO4. My PC is definitely up to spec (i7 6700k, n1080 etc.).

So yeah, what a waste of space.

What's the easiest way to delete the pack? I want my gigs back.

HooYaH

I'm not seeing any obvious difference.

Granted, haven't played the game in a while. The pack is definitely installed, says so in FO4. My PC is definitely up to spec (i7 6700k, n1080 etc.).

So yeah, what a waste of space.

What's the easiest way to delete the pack? I want my gigs back.

Yep, the pack is a waste of space. Some objects are a little clearer, but it's not worth 58GB. World textures still looking low res.

Top Bottom