• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - High Resolution Texture Pack is out.

johntown

Banned
No, it needs a GPU with a lot of VRAM (such as a 1080). Texture resolution has very little impact on performance as long as there's enough VRAM available. VRAM usage also depends a lot on resolution. It may work fine at 1080p on older cards, so just wait and see.

I agree with this. I am going to download and run at 1080p on a 980. In Deus Ex Mankind Divided I have everything maxed besides SMAA and shadows and I generally get a sold 60 through the game. I get warnings when enabling the Ultra textures that I need more VRAM but I don't have any problems.

That being said I may have to tweak Fallout 4 settings after this to get a solid 60 on a 980. My guess would be shadow and god ray adjustments.

ISee

Can't initiate the high res texture download. Everytime I press the download button on the DLC page the FO4 launcher pops up but the dl doesn't initiate.

Gekzee

Banned
Ignoring CPU requirements and ONLY looking at memory, and assuming you do indeed need 8 gigs of VRAM, and 6 gigs won't cut it, you're looking at 3.5%, or almost 9 million? or so people.

Assuming the other requirements are indded also required (doubtful) then it's less than that.
3.5% is 9 million? I didn't know the game sold that well.

Can't initiate the high res texture download. Everytime I press the download button on the DLC page the FO4 launcher pops up but the dl doesn't initiate.

I did the same, and launched F4, then went to the add on bit and clicked buy. Nothing happened so I quit, found Steam had started downloading it.

ISee

I did the same, and launched F4, then went to the add on bit and clicked buy. Nothing happened so I quit, found Steam had started downloading it.

It's greyed out. I bet it's some timezone unlock bs, but thanks for the tip.
fallout4_2017_02_06_2drscs.png

edit:
ah now the DL started. fine.

Lister

Banned
3.5% is 9 million? I didn't know the game sold that well.

Lol, sorry, no there's no way to cross check vs actual woners of the game I don't think. That's overall Steam users.

I don't know that we cna just cut FO4 owners by the percentage though, as it's likely to be higher for owners of a big AAA game than for the overall Steam market as a whole.

So I guess we could say that's it's probably as low as 140,000, but possibly larger than that. Especially if it's true, as it's being reported, that you can use the pack with less than the 8 gigs they are saying you need.

dr_rus

Running a bit slower than usual here:

Czmc.png

If these shots from Imgur are legit then it really is a waste of bandwidth though.

Takuan

PC guys - just wait for the inevitable optimized 4K textures mod. Wouldn't be surprised to see that on the nexus within the week.

Too bad I stopped playing Fallout 4, uninstalled it and went back to Skyrim SE because I got bored. The modding scene in Fallout 4 still isn't good enough to make me want to go back to playing it.

Ok, so I downloaded and installed it (thank you Comcast; I pay for 150 mbit, but got peak 29 mb/s download for this, yay!)

my pc is- fx 6300, 8gb RAM, 4 gb 960 gtx.

Everything max, 1080p.

It looks better, buuuut not really 'pow' noticeable...not sure how to put it. Definitely choppier on my rig than before for sure, though.

poodaddy

Ok, so I downloaded and installed it (thank you Comcast; I pay for 150 mbit, but got peak 29 mb/s download for this, yay!)

Everything max, 1080p.

It looks better, buuuut not really 'pow' noticeable...not sure how to put it. Definitely choppier on my rig than before for sure, though.

Thanks for posting impressions brethren.

Anyone with a newer CPU and a 980 ti ready to weigh in yet?

Everything max, 1080p.

Your rig is waaay below the recommended specs for it though, so you might not be getting the full benefit from it.

Your rig is waaay below the recommended specs for it though, so you might not be getting the full benefit from it.

That's not how it works. Provided they have the texture pack downloaded and they are running at the right settings, it'll be just as noticeable as someone playing on a machine twice as powerful, just running a lot slower.

Guys, remember to use ReShade or something on top for a sharpening filter. Fallout 4's post processing is a blurry mess, so without sharpening this is a waste of VRAM.

That's not how it works. Provided they have the texture pack downloaded and they are running at the right settings, it'll be just as noticeable as someone playing on a machine twice as powerful, just running a lot slower.

Would that recommended spec be for 4k then? I might stick it on download. I only play at 1080p.

Piggus

Y'all need to stop taking these recommended specs seriously and understand how GPUs actually work with regard to textures.

The textures are obviously recommended for higher (as in 4K) resolution, and it takes a lot of GPU power to run the game at 4K at high framerates. That doesn't mean lower end cards can't run these textures at lower resolutions!

Man I hope 2 1070s can run this OK at 1440p. Downloading now.

The best meme

I wonder if Fallout 4 and DOOM in VR will ever really happen too.

Only if you want to be extremely sick, extremely quickly.

opricnik

Banned
Well duh no idea why people complain about system reqs. Its something future proof that you can play in future say 2-3 years later you will have option to play much better textures etc.

I mean if they optimised this it wouldn't be uncompromised version of game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Only if you want to be extremely sick, extremely quickly.

I can't deal with free movement FPS in VR at all. I get sick after a minute.

BUT- I played through RE7 on PSVR for 20 hours and never got the slightest bit ill. They seemed to have cracked it, which gives me high hopes for Fallout and Doom VR.

Takuan

Well duh no idea why people complain about system reqs. Its something future proof that you can play in future say 2-3 years later you will have option to play much better textures etc.

I mean if they optimised this it wouldn't be uncompromised version of game.
At ~60 gb, I don't think this texture pack is particularly optimized. Expect the mod community to release its own version of this at half the bandwidth commitment with little to no decrease in quality. It's just what they do.

I can't even get them to DL, just launches the game launcher for some reason. Trying to do it through the game tells me I don't have steam installed.

LowSignal

I gave away my 480 8gb card because I was worried the voltage was going to fry the dell mobo and got a 1060 3gb SMH.... regret

jediyoshi

I can't even get them to DL, just launches the game launcher for some reason. Trying to do it through the game tells me I don't have steam installed.

In the Steam library, in game details, under the DLC section, scroll down to the texture pack and hit the checkbox next to it.

Got it downloading now. Will take some screens when done. I run modded textures already that look much better than the base ones IMO so not sure if this will interfere with them or make them look better.

Oh Bethesda if it turns out you uprezzed the 512x512 texture by quadrupling them in size for no reason like in Skyrim:LE I will laugh forever. Will wait for comparisons before wasting 58GB.

jediyoshi

Got it downloading now. Will take some screens when done. I run modded textures already that look much better than the base ones IMO so not sure if this will interfere with them or make them look better.

Your modded textures would likely just override them.

I took these through Steam, not sure if full rez or not. Anyhoo...

Either you're rehosting Steam's compressed images or your imgur account isn't set up to host high quality images. In Steam settings -> In-Game, check 'Save an uncompressed copy'.

Top Bottom